Stebel Nautilus Compact Air Horn - Getting ready to install and have one more questio - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old Jul 31st, 2011, 8:46 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Stebel Nautilus Compact Air Horn - Getting ready to install - one more question

Before I start to cut, what I'm guessing are the two wires off of the old horn, I just want to make sure that the wiring diagram that I am looking at is accurate. The diagram that I am looking at shows two wires running from the old horn.

One wire goes from the old horn to the (+)side of the battery.

The other wire goes from the old horn to the(+) side of the horn button.

As per my instructions, I'm to take these two wires and run them to the new relay, points 85 and 86.

The diagram also shows the (-) side of the horn button going to ground on the frame of the bike. I'm wondering if that is correct on the K1600GTL?

Before I start to cut wires, I want to make sure that I really understand what I'm doing...

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

Last edited by DanDiver; Jul 31st, 2011 at 9:23 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old Jul 31st, 2011, 9:24 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Re: Stebel Nautilus Compact Air Horn - Getting ready to install and have one more questio

Your wiring suggestions are correct. What you're doing is taking the old horn out of the circuit, and putting the relay in its place. So when you push the horn button, the horn (-) side makes contact, and the relay closes, sending full power to the new horn.

But before you cut anything,I'd look through this thread by Mark Neblett and find the BMW part number for a small harness that plugs directly into the existing horn's socket. That means that you don't have to cut any wires to install the relay and the Stebel.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 27 Old Jul 31st, 2011, 9:52 am

Re: Stebel Nautilus Compact Air Horn - Getting ready to install and have one more questio

If the connector is available it is a good way to go. I cut the wires because I never will reinstall the stock peice of junk that masqurades as a horn.

2014 K1600 Exclusive
2015 R1200RTP
2018 Hyundai Tucson Limited
Colorado PGR

post #4 of 27 Old Jul 31st, 2011, 10:18 am

I think you got your answer ... so just a bit of food for thought. Why remove the old horn??? The only thing better than having a Stebel air horn, is having a Stebel air horn AND the higher-pitched OEM horn.

Did it on my GT and my Concours. LOVE IT!!!

- Just Joe

(Current bikes)
  • 2001 BMW K1200LTC
  • 2010 Kawasaki Concours14
  • 1985 Honda V65 Magna
  • 2005 Harley V-Rod Chrome Edition
  • 2003 Harley V-Rod Anniversary Edition
post #5 of 27 Old Jul 31st, 2011, 12:53 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Stebel Nautilus Compact Air Horn - Getting ready to install and have one more que

Thanks for the reinforsement....

The stock horn is so soft and annoying that I can't ever imagine wanting to hear it. It is going into the same box as the canister from the K1200LT.

It sounds like the horn from a 50cc scooter/

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #6 of 27 Old Jul 31st, 2011, 1:36 pm

There is no room for both the stock horn and a Stebel.

2014 K1600 Exclusive
2015 R1200RTP
Colorado PGR
post #7 of 27 Old Jul 31st, 2011, 2:19 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Great pics, Spencer. Thanks for sharing.

Nice job on the mounting bracket, too.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 27 Old Jul 31st, 2011, 2:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Great pics, Spencer. Thanks for sharing.

Nice job on the mounting bracket, too.
The bracket was cobbled up using a old book end but any good metal will work.
After having a female stop in the entrance of a roundabout and then cut straight across both lanes. I needed something in a hurry, I got the Stebel late Saturday and installed it Sunday afternoon. I still have had texters start to cut me off but now they hear the horn.

2014 K1600 Exclusive
2015 R1200RTP
Colorado PGR
post #9 of 27 Old Jul 31st, 2011, 4:22 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Spencer, Thanks for all of the help..... and pictures. Now I get to undress her!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #10 of 27 Old Jul 31st, 2011, 10:32 pm

Dan if you have the LED lights you will need to remove the left one to refit the front lower panel. While you have the air deflectors off lube them they will work much smoother.

2014 K1600 Exclusive
2015 R1200RTP
Colorado PGR
post #11 of 27 Old Aug 1st, 2011, 5:56 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Stebel Nautilus Compact Air Horn - Getting ready to install and have one more que

Quote:
Originally Posted by iride4u
Dan if you have the LED lights you will need to remove the left one to refit the front lower panel. While you have the air deflectors off lube them they will work much smoother.
Thanks Spencer for being on the leading (bleeding) edge....

I'm now starting to figure out which panels need to come off and in what order. Not quite as simple as the K1200LT, but they do seem to be a little more individually separated.

On the K1200LT they were mostly interconnected.

Is it best to just start at the bottom and work up or is there a natural progression. It might be helpful if there was a picture or diagram with panels an or parts numbered as to order of removal. Do you know if anything like that is available?

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=53530

(ask and answer!) actually here is an excellent link with pictures and a description of removing the panels of the K1600GTL.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL

Last edited by DanDiver; Aug 1st, 2011 at 6:50 am.
post #12 of 27 Old Aug 1st, 2011, 8:43 am

You need to remove both lower panels, the large panel with the GTL logo, the small air inlet, the left side gas tank cover and the panel with the radio controls.When routing the wires I also removed thebridge that holds the front seat mount. No cutting of panels is needed for the horn instalation. You can thread the wires to the battery without removing the gas tank, it just takes a little patients.

2014 K1600 Exclusive
2015 R1200RTP
Colorado PGR
post #13 of 27 Old Aug 1st, 2011, 10:06 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iride4u
You need to remove both lower panels, the large panel with the GTL logo, the small air inlet, the left side gas tank cover and the panel with the radio controls.When routing the wires I also removed the bridge that holds the front seat mount. No cutting of panels is needed for the horn instalation. You can thread the wires to the battery without removing the gas tank, it just takes a little patients.
thanks -

When you say to remove both lower panels, do you mean the lower one on the right and left, or two lower panels on the left side?

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #14 of 27 Old Aug 1st, 2011, 12:12 pm

just the ones on the left. nothing on the rt needs to come off unless... you want to remove the tank/air filter.

should take you about 3 hours..

or less, took me 3 days but i wasnt in a hurry and i put in an extra power jack as well as a laser jammer and wirng for the radar detector.

the stebel sounds nice under bridges

Richard
2012 K1600Gtl Royal Blue #578 I will ride it like I stole it, wooo hoooo
2002 BMW K1200LTC - SOLD Rode it like i stole it.....

2003 Harley-Davison fltri Road Glide Bone Stock, 40k miles, trouble free
1978 Honda CB650-4 future sidecar rig
1972 BSA A65 Thunderbolt Just Plain cool!
BMW MOA 88880 Lifetime Member
BMW TCD
AMA Member
post #15 of 27 Old Aug 1st, 2011, 12:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
thanks -

When you say to remove both lower panels, do you mean the lower one on the right and left, or two lower panels on the left side?
The two lower ones on the left -- each covers a bottom screw of the main side panel. Note also the hook on the top of the rear lower panel -- a panel removal pictorial thread is here: http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...+fairing+panel

BTW, the lower front panel can be removed without removing the left LED fog light, without scratching the panel -- see the above thread, so you know where the upright tab is.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA

Last edited by mneblett; Aug 1st, 2011 at 12:19 pm.
post #16 of 27 Old Aug 1st, 2011, 12:18 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks Mark for the great pictures and screw count..... I was trying to figure out how to remove the LED light and glad that it's isn't required... Then I'd have to re aim it!

Richard sounds like you work as fast as I do. Once I get her undressed I like to look for a while..

Now If I could just get the garage air conditioned.

Curious about the hose for the air horn. I picked up about 3 feet and plan to just run it back. Is there any preferred length? What is it's purpose anyway?

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #17 of 27 Old Aug 1st, 2011, 12:23 pm

Quote:
Thanks Mark for the great pictures and screw count..... I was trying to figure out how to remove the LED light and glad that it's isn't required... Then I'd have to re aim it!
No problem -- and I'm sure the fogs aren't aimed at the factory, as mine came pointing up as high as they can go. They are easy to move by hand; I just reached down and put them in the right ballpark -- it's not like they require pencil-beam-accurate aim.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #18 of 27 Old Aug 1st, 2011, 12:56 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Curious about the hose for the air horn. I picked up about 3 feet and plan to just run it back. Is there any preferred length? What is it's purpose anyway?
The hose is for the air intake. It isn't strictly necessary, but in some cases, you can run the hose to get 'clean" air, that is, away from where any water might intrude when riding through a heavy storm.

Never had a problem on my GT without the intake hose, as the horn is tucked up in a protected place inside the right body panel. And it has survived some biblical rains just fine . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #19 of 27 Old Aug 1st, 2011, 1:29 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks Ken - Hope that you are feeling better...

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #20 of 27 Old Aug 1st, 2011, 3:17 pm

The only reason that I removed the LED light is that it is easier to reinstall the lower front left panel. It is one screw that mounts to the engine. The air intake hose is only to get dry air may or may not be needed. I am packing today for a trip to Prince Edward Island be on the road most of August.

2014 K1600 Exclusive
2015 R1200RTP
Colorado PGR
post #21 of 27 Old Aug 1st, 2011, 4:49 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Apencer,

Thanks for all of your help and advise. I hope you have a super time and a wonderful trip. Enjoy the new bike...

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #22 of 27 Old Aug 1st, 2011, 9:41 pm

Thanks Dan
I should be doing the Dragon next Monday on the way up to PEI.

2014 K1600 Exclusive
2015 R1200RTP
Colorado PGR
post #23 of 27 Old Sep 27th, 2012, 9:05 am

I'm ready to install this horn on my GT. I talked with my local BMW dealer and was advised that I HAD to leave the existing horn in place and to wire the relay by tapping into the wires on the horn. Dealer stated removing removing would cause a trouble code to register everytime I used the horn... Has anyone had this problem?
post #24 of 27 Old Sep 27th, 2012, 9:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnert
I'm ready to install this horn on my GT. I talked with my local BMW dealer and was advised that I HAD to leave the existing horn in place and to wire the relay by tapping into the wires on the horn. Dealer stated removing removing would cause a trouble code to register everytime I used the horn... Has anyone had this problem?
Yes and no -- the dealer (Stuart at Morton's?) is correct, in that removing the horn will generate a fault code which gets stored in the computer (Stuart may have seen that first on my GTL).

However, nothing appears to the rider on the displays -- it just stores a code and nothing else happens. You don't even need to cut the wire harness if you remove the OE horn -- use the matching connector (available from Parts) to plug into the horn harness. I used this two-wire harness to then control the relay which supplied power to a pair of FIAMM honkers. Never any electrical or computer issues with this set-up.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #25 of 27 Old Sep 27th, 2012, 1:27 pm

Thanks Mark, yep, it was Morton's. I pulled the side panels today and was going to install the horn. I MUST have the wrong horn, no way this thing will fit! Back to the drawing board...
post #26 of 27 Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 1:12 pm

If it's the one in the photo's it fits....But it is a tight fit that has to be formed with a hand made holder as shown very well in the photos. It will be well worth the effort when you get it placed....Good -Luck..
post #27 of 27 Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 3:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnert
Thanks Mark, yep, it was Morton's. I pulled the side panels today and was going to install the horn. I MUST have the wrong horn, no way this thing will fit! Back to the drawing board...
I had the same problem with a fit. I had to make the bracket, tilt the horn. Do not use the mounting bolt as a ground for the relay, I found it very inconsistent. I use the bolt under the ABS unit. I have some picture I can forward.

$.02,
Paul

Miles to go b4 I sleep
2016 R1200RT
2012 K1600GTL, sold

00 K12LTC, sold
and a couple of old British bikes
Ocala, Florida

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in