Recent Threads (select forum) section on the home page ? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jul 28th, 2011, 6:18 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Recent Threads (select forum) section on the home page ?

Maybe it's just my imagination, but on my PC, the recent activity of questions and answers or discussions in the K1600 GT/GTL section do not show up here. Is there a reason for this or is it just my PC?

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jul 28th, 2011, 7:11 am

Re: Recent Threads (select forum) section on the home page ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
Maybe it's just my imagination, but on my PC, the recent activity of questions and answers or discussions in the K1600 GT/GTL section do not show up here. Is there a reason for this or is it just my PC?
Not just your PC, Dan. I asked a similar 'forum' question back in the day and wuz told that not all forums show up on the home page - just select ones. I don't remember what Randy told me that the reason wuz, butt at the time, it made sense. I don't see a coupla other forums either, butt I don't think they get much activity. It may have something to do with the software program that Randy/Andy want to address, either by upgrade or replacement. Maybe one of those guys will check in and answer more specificallyl.
post #3 of 8 Old Jul 28th, 2011, 7:25 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks Dick - That makes sense, I can see where it is difficult to be all things to all people!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL

post #4 of 8 Old Jul 28th, 2011, 7:41 am
Lifetime Supporter

Dan,

Just tried it and seems to work for me. At times I have noticed that some posts take a little while to appear as new posts. For instance I have replied to posts and when I go back to that posts later in the day there are replies ahead of mine that I never saw before.

I am guessing it is just a timing and priority issue. I am quessing that the real time tasks ( viewing ) have priority over background tasks. ( updates )

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #5 of 8 Old Jul 28th, 2011, 8:28 am

Hey, Dan - how do you read this site? Meaning, do you read in the Linear mode; the Threaded mode; or the Hybrid mode? I don't know if 'any' mode has an effect on the Home Page display, butt I read the site in the Hybrid mode. I usually pay very little attention to the thread/posts on the Home page - just use that for checking the various other boxed-categories like birthdays, buddy lists, etc. Just below my avatar and above the 'Log Off' line, I click there to go to the hybrid display pages. This allows me to scan up to 40 thread headings (a personal setting I chose) per page, and then either read the entire thread with a click on the subject line, or to read the last post with a click on the box after the last poster's entry. This way, I can refresh this page with a click on the 'New Activity' header and 'since last visit' dialogue line, and be presented with a new page showing bold subject lines for threads I haven't yet read the latest posting, or non-bold lines that I have read. Sounds real confusing when I read what I just typed here, butt it works for me and I don't think I've missed very many posts over the last 11 or so years of hanging out here. YMMV.
post #6 of 8 Old Jul 28th, 2011, 11:57 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks Dick - I think I understand what you you are talking about... When I figure out how to do it, after I get this Bluetooth figured out, I'll give it a try.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #7 of 8 Old Jul 29th, 2011, 1:14 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Hey, Dan - how do you read this site? Meaning, do you read in the Linear mode; the Threaded mode; or the Hybrid mode? I don't know if 'any' mode has an effect on the Home Page display, butt I read the site in the Hybrid mode. I usually pay very little attention to the thread/posts on the Home page - just use that for checking the various other boxed-categories like birthdays, buddy lists, etc. Just below my avatar and above the 'Log Off' line, I click there to go to the hybrid display pages. This allows me to scan up to 40 thread headings (a personal setting I chose) per page, and then either read the entire thread with a click on the subject line, or to read the last post with a click on the box after the last poster's entry. This way, I can refresh this page with a click on the 'New Activity' header and 'since last visit' dialogue line, and be presented with a new page showing bold subject lines for threads I haven't yet read the latest posting, or non-bold lines that I have read. Sounds real confusing when I read what I just typed here, butt it works for me and I don't think I've missed very many posts over the last 11 or so years of hanging out here. YMMV.
I did not know there were technical names of the setup of the thread pages.
Until you mention them I never really gave it any thought. Sometimes I scroll down the left of home page to see anything I want to check and when it has been a while I will click on # of threads since last visit. If I am looking for something specific I will go to forums which I have been more of lately since so many LT owners have migrated to the new GTL postings of their own. I was not confused just never heard it put that way.
ride safe
post #8 of 8 Old Jul 29th, 2011, 1:23 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
I too get the PC blues at times.
I have opened a thread only too have screens jump on me and lose it. Or may have written a thread lose it and had to do it all over again as much as 3 times. We can't be all good at all things. I caught this computer thing late in my career
ride safe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in