Schuberth Helmet and GPS audio - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 10:21 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Schuberth Helmet and GPS audio

I put this in this section because it's more of a K1600 GTL Multi-controller question vs. GPS vs. Audio. Maybe we need sub sections under the K1600 section?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I just picked up my new Schuberth Helmet and BT thingie......

I just got back from riding for about an hour and the FM audio from the bikes Bluetooth, to the Schuberth helmet speakers, for me is much louder than the hard wired Auto Comm that I had on my K1200LT. With my new Schuberth helmet, the audio is much clearer too. Could have to do with lots of different variables, but from my point of view, I love it!

The only problem I'm having with the audio is hearing the GPS. I haven't figured out how to make it louder. Instructions say to use the bikes audio control, but that doesn't seem to raise the audio of the GPS without blasting me when the FM radio comes back.

So far, I really do like the BT and the audio is great. I know I'll eventually figure out how to raise the GPS's audio without raising the FM music. It really is loud and so much clearer.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 12:12 pm

Re: Schuberth Helmet and GPS audio

Schuberth reps coming to CCR. If you are coming, you can ask them if you haven't figured it out by then. And can show off your rig and new BT knowledge to the rest of our guys who are interested. I feel a new tech session coming!

EXCELSIOR !!!

----- Barrett
Free at last!

Austin & Crystal Beach TX, Drummond, WI

CCRs - Hot Springs '01, Santa Fe '02, Breckenridge '04, Jackson '05, Braselton '06, Osage Beach '07, Midway '08, Black Hills '09, Killington '10, Boise '11, Duluth '12, Bend '13, Chattanooga in '14, and Coeur d'Alene in 2015.
post #3 of 36 Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 1:08 pm

Just asking cuz I don't have a 1600. Is the GPS audio all the way up at %100 volume? Does your GPS have a speed volume adjustment that you can set for the faster you go the louder it gets?

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.

post #4 of 36 Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 1:54 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Dan - mine was just the opposite. The Nav voice prompts were twice as loud as music coming from the audio platform. You adjust the volume of the GPS on the GPS. I'm not near my bike so I'm not sure which Nav Menu it's under. It’s probably in the Tools. Now both volumes near the same so the controller adjust both equally. .

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory – Growing Up is Optional
post #5 of 36 Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 3:36 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

When I went to the tools section of the GPS, it told me that the volume control is the multi-controller wheel on the bike. I'm pretty sure that the GPS is at 100%, but as always, I'm going to do a little more checking and see where I'm wrong.

The bike 's volume is speed controlled.

There are several different volume type controls between the GPS and the bikes multi-controller and I'm sure that I've got a conflict between two of them.

It is not as simple as the K1200LT.

I'm back and have time to go play with it... It is strange to have to turn on the helmet, but the audio that I am hearing is really good.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #6 of 36 Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 6:48 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Talking Re: Schuberth Helmet and GPS audio

Dan - I just got home and checked my GPS (Nav IV). On the main menu screen there is a speaker icon. That will lead you to a menus with the dialogue you mentioned. At the bottom of the screen I selected mixed > there is a adjustable setting for GPS Volume. Initially mine was @ 100%. I adjusted down to 65% and it's still a little loud at low speeds.BTW - I think you need to have the audio platform turned off. Also, I don't believe the speed adjusted volume works with bluetooth only the speakers. I still reluctant to mess with all the controls while riding and it's been close to 115 degrees in my garage. Bride absolutely refuses to allow me to put an air conditioner in the garage. Go figure

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

post #7 of 36 Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 6:55 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorchilla
Dan - I just got home and checked my GPS (Nav IV). On the main menu screen there is a speaker icon. That will lead you to a menus with the dialogue you mentioned. At the bottom of the screen I selected mixed > there is a adjustable setting for GPS Volume. Initially mine was @ 100%. I adjusted down to 65% and it's still a little loud at low speeds.BTW - I think you need to have the audio platform turned off. Also, I don't believe the speed adjusted volume works with bluetooth only the speakers. I still reluctant to mess with all the controls while riding and it's been close to 115 degrees in my garage. Bride absolutely refuses to allow me to put an air conditioner in the garage. Go figure
I went to the "mixed" adjustments (there are 4) and all are set on 100%. What do you mean by shuting down the audio platform?

WOW 115 ! I'll stop complaining about 90 degrees.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #8 of 36 Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 7:54 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
I went to the "mixed" adjustments (there are 4) and all are set on 100%. What do you mean by shuting down the audio platform?
The bike's audio system. There maybe something else going on??? Is your GPS paired to the helmet or bike - should be helmet.

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

post #9 of 36 Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 8:58 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

It could be that I didn't go through the steps to pair the GPS to the helmet. I simply plugged it back into the bike (after I paired the bike to the helmet) and I had it's audio (the GPS's audio) in the helmet.

Since I had the GPS audio in my helmet, after slipping it in the slot, I figured it was done.

Thanks .... Now it's time to pair the GPS to the helmet. Must be what I need to do!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #10 of 36 Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 9:06 pm

It got up to 112 on the LT in Gettysburg, PA today

Wow, i doubt that 115 is good for either the seats on the bike or any car. I also doubt its good for you and many things such as paint and other chemicals which are commonly left in the garage.

If there is any way to vent to the outside, a garage version of a whole house fan might be the most economical.

Bill

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #11 of 36 Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 9:22 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBil
It got up to 112 on the LT in Gettysburg, PA today

Wow, i doubt that 115 is good for either the seats on the bike or any car. I also doubt its good for you and many things such as paint and other chemicals which are commonly left in the garage.

If there is any way to vent to the outside, a garage version of a whole house fan might be the most economical.

Bill

Bill, I thought you were going to help me with my GPS!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #12 of 36 Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 12:08 pm

Schuberth have recently released a software update which allows for independent volume adjustment to inputs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 36 Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 2:14 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by axamax
Schuberth have recently released a software update which allows for independent volume adjustment to inputs.
Thanks... Next stop the Schuberth site!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #14 of 36 Old Jul 24th, 2011, 6:03 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Dan: Attached is the Pairing Guide I used. After numerous failed attempts, I called the dealer and he gave me this. Once I followed the sequence correctly everything worked. Also, I may have had the GPS out of the cradle and away from the bike when I adjusted the NAV volume.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Quick Reference Pairing.pdf (1.59 MB, 283 views)

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

post #15 of 36 Old Jul 24th, 2011, 6:25 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks Doug - I'm pretty sure that I followed the attached directions because ever thing seemed to work, it was just low volume from the GPS.

The challenge in the beginning was to turn off the GPS (everything off except devises being programmed) and just have on the bikes BT system and the helmet. The only way that I could turn off the GPS was to pull it out of the bike. Seems to be on whenever the bike is powered up. Is there a way, in the cradle to turn if off?

Pairing the helmet to the bike was quick and easy. Then I inserted the GPS into the bikes cradle and it was on and working wit hour me having to do anything.

Just low audio. I wasen't on it to day and will play some tomorrow to see if anything I have done lately "fixed: the problem.

Thanks for the attachment as it's a good summery of what needs to be done. If I still have low audio, I'll do as the instructions say and delete everything and start over.

I do love what is working as the audio is very clear, loud and no wires. Helmet is very comfortable too, so far.....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #16 of 36 Old Jul 24th, 2011, 10:21 pm

Quote:
Thanks Doug - I'm pretty sure that I followed the attached directions because ever thing seemed to work, it was just low volume from the GPS.

The challenge in the beginning was to turn off the GPS (everything off except devises being programmed) and just have on the bikes BT system and the helmet. The only way that I could turn off the GPS was to pull it out of the bike. Seems to be on whenever the bike is powered up. Is there a way, in the cradle to turn if off?

Pairing the helmet to the bike was quick and easy. Then I inserted the GPS into the bikes cradle and it was on and working wit hour me having to do anything.

Just low audio. I wasen't on it to day and will play some tomorrow to see if anything I have done lately "fixed: the problem.

Thanks for the attachment as it's a good summery of what needs to be done. If I still have low audio, I'll do as the instructions say and delete everything and start over.

I do love what is working as the audio is very clear, loud and no wires. Helmet is very comfortable too, so far.....
Try turning up the volume on the control that's on the helmet. It the radio is too loud then just turn down that volumn with the handlebar control.
post #17 of 36 Old Jul 25th, 2011, 5:31 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thumbs up Re: Schuberth Helmet and GPS audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEhrler
Try turning up the volume on the control that's on the helmet. It the radio is too loud then just turn down that volume with the handlebar control.
Thanks -

I was giving that some thought as I played with it yesterday. That will be my next "try to fix. " ( I might have been accidental reducing the volume on the headset via the +/- headset control) I'll know the next time I ride if that was the solution.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #18 of 36 Old Jul 26th, 2011, 2:00 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Schuberth Helmet and GPS audio too low

I rode the bike today and the audio from the GPS (through the Schuberth helmet) is still lower than the regular music audio. Too low to clearly hear. I thought that maybe it was because I was not working the volume control on the helmet, but that was not the case.

I find that when I adjust the volume on the helmet, the overall volume goes up and then when the music comes back, it is too loud. I also noticed that when I adjust the volume on the helmet, the change is indicated on the bikes volume visual bar. It is like I'm controling and setting the bikes volume with the helmet.

Before I re-pair everything from the beginning, I thought I'd see if there were any suggestions.

Is there a way to turn off the GPS when it is in the bikes cradle? Does it have to be removed to turn it off?

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #19 of 36 Old Jul 26th, 2011, 3:51 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Dan you Have to remove the GPS then turn it off.

Stevie Shreeve
post #20 of 36 Old Jul 26th, 2011, 5:04 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Dan you Have to remove the GPS then turn it off.
Thanks for trying Steve...

That's all that I could come up with, and I did that. I would think that there would be a way to turn it off without removing it!

Do you know if there is a way to turn off the audio/FM music and just listen to the GPS?

Guess my next step is to start over. I'm pretty sure though that the GPS was off when I initially set up the BT and the helmet. Oh well it's a learning experience and it's helping my brain cells....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #21 of 36 Old Jul 26th, 2011, 5:13 pm

Quote:
Thanks for trying Steve...

That's all that I could come up with, and I did that. I would think that there would be a way to turn it off without removing it!

Do you know if there is a way to turn off the audio/FM music and just listen to the GPS?

Guess my next step is to start over. I'm pretty sure though that the GPS was off when I initially set up the BT and the helmet. Oh well it's a learning experience and it's helping my brain cells....
I think if you select Aux. it will turn the radio (music) off but allow for Navigator commands to be heard.
post #22 of 36 Old Jul 26th, 2011, 5:58 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

thanks - I'll give it a try....

Just finished removing the chrome trim on the side cases... I think it look so much cleaner...

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #23 of 36 Old Jul 27th, 2011, 12:44 am

Quote:
thanks - I'll give it a try....

Just finished removing the chrome trim on the side cases... I think it look so much cleaner...

Haha! You knew that was coming!

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #24 of 36 Old Jul 27th, 2011, 5:44 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

There were some pictures of this on another forum (I really hate going back and forth) and that's where I got the idea. After reading about it and how easy it was to do, I simply grabbed my wife's hair dryer and in less than 5 minutes had them off.

Got to be in the shark tank soon so if anyone hasn't posted pictures when I get back I'll get you a few. It just has a clean look.

Now about that ugly back seat head rest!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #25 of 36 Old Jul 27th, 2011, 6:36 am

I don't know if you ever got your GPS low volume corrected but from reading some of the posts, it seems like your helmet is connected to the GPS through the bike's BT. Is that correct? I am connected to the GPS using the GPS BT (which is what is recommended by the manual I think) rather than the bike and, initially, the GPS volume was too loud. I went to the volume screen on the GPS and turned the nav volume down to 40% and that seems about right.
post #26 of 36 Old Jul 27th, 2011, 5:26 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbellew
I don't know if you ever got your GPS low volume corrected but from reading some of the posts, it seems like your helmet is connected to the GPS through the bike's BT. Is that correct? I am connected to the GPS using the GPS BT (which is what is recommended by the manual I think) rather than the bike and, initially, the GPS volume was too loud. I went to the volume screen on the GPS and turned the nav volume down to 40% and that seems about right.
It's still too low so my bet is that it's connected to the bikes BT. I'm going to start over tomorrow and connect it to the helmet's BT. That must be the problem.

Thanks

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #27 of 36 Old Jul 27th, 2011, 10:28 pm

Dan,

Sorry, all I have is a NAV III on an LT. It does have a nice on-off switch, and a volume control that works. Its bluetooth is abominable though. I am sorry I cannot help, but it appears you are getting a lot. However, unless it is paired with the bike, it may be in the lemon category giving all you have done to check it out.

Bill

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #28 of 36 Old Jul 28th, 2011, 5:57 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

I'm going to try and pair it with the helmet today, away and outside of the bikes cradle and see if that will work. Then it's back to the dealer on Saturday anyway to get some parts for a few other farkles...

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #29 of 36 Old Jul 28th, 2011, 6:09 am

Dan,
I was having a similar issue when I first installed my communicator. I seem to recall that once I linked the comm unit to the GPS the sound increased dramatically, now it's almost too loud! Give it a shot, I think that will do it for you.

Ray

'12 K1600GTL - Mineral Silver
post #30 of 36 Old Jul 28th, 2011, 7:55 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks Ray - NOW I get to start all over.... Been playing with just the GPS and the helmet and now NOTHING is working! Having a problem with the German logic.

I'm going to turn it all off, get ride of the pairing and start over.... this is getting frustrating.

I'm learning though!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #31 of 36 Old Jul 28th, 2011, 8:18 am

Quote:
Thanks Ray - NOW I get to start all over.... Been playing with just the GPS and the helmet and now NOTHING is working! Having a problem with the German logic.

I'm going to turn it all off, get ride of the pairing and start over.... this is getting frustrating.

I'm learning though!

This happened to me as well. Very frustrating. The solution is to reset the BT on the BMW Communicator. I don't have the manual with me but you hold down either the plus or minus button and the center button at the same time for 5 seconds or so and it clears out the BT memory on the helmet. Everything worked fine after that.
post #32 of 36 Old Jul 28th, 2011, 3:11 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

I think I now have loud GPS audio and I really don't know why!

I re-did all of the Bluetooth programming which is called PAIRING. I started by un-pairing everything and started over. I paired the helmet to the bike and the I paired the GPS (in the cradle) to the helmet. I don't have a BT cell phone (which pairs to the GPS and not the bikes BT) so until I get one, that part is up in the air.

The instructions are not simple, but doable and after the 5th or 6th time, it wasn't necessary to consult them. If anyone has trouble, don't hesitate to call me and I'll try to walk you through it.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #33 of 36 Old Jul 29th, 2011, 12:06 am

Garage

Quote:
I think I now have loud GPS audio and I really don't know why!

I re-did all of the Bluetooth programming which is called PAIRING. I started by un-pairing everything and started over. I paired the helmet to the bike and the I paired the GPS (in the cradle) to the helmet. I don't have a BT cell phone (which pairs to the GPS and not the bikes BT) so until I get one, that part is up in the air.

The instructions are not simple, but doable and after the 5th or 6th time, it wasn't necessary to consult them. If anyone has trouble, don't hesitate to call me and I'll try to walk you through it.
I am trying very cautiously not to hi-jack here.
I have a Nav iv on my LT and have not been satisfied with the GPS/Com/BT operation. I guess the main reason I have not fussed with it much is because I am not a phone person when I am riding. If I think it is important I simply pull over and take care of business. But the times I have tested it the music does not mute to prioritize the gps or phone. I hear everything at the same level. And keep in mind my system is hard wired J&M speakers elite series. Do you suggest I start all over again. I know you have your hands full with the GTL so will keep reading.
ride safe
post #34 of 36 Old Jul 29th, 2011, 12:47 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Bill, What are you using as your bikes core communication system? I think I'm missing something.

Give me a call on my cell phone 813 267 8181... I'm working on mine now..

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #35 of 36 Old Aug 5th, 2011, 7:30 pm

Garage

Quote:
Bill, What are you using as your bikes core communication system? I think I'm missing something.

Give me a call on my cell phone 813 267 8181... I'm working on mine now..
Sorry Dan I have been gone for a week. N Carolina, grandkids and birthdays. No I did not take the bike wife would not go that far plus luggage and a bicycle present.
OK enough of that, with regards your advice and to answer the question "BMW Communication System V.O.I.C.E.11 for US model"
Everything was dealer installed per BMW for the last model year '09 in 2010. So too was the GPS mount and hard wired.
My system works coupled with a Multitec and J & M elite head/boom mic. Stereo works fine, Nav IV works also. I don't know but was wondering if the sound is suppose to automatically mute for GPS (if that level can be adjusted) and like wise for incoming phone calls. I have a 6" pigtail with male to male 2.5 to 3.5 mm jacks.
ride safe
nice chat
post #36 of 36 Old Aug 5th, 2011, 7:35 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmith
Sorry Dan I have been gone for a week. N Carolina, grandkids and birthdays. No I did not take the bike wife would not go that far plus luggage and a bicycle present.
OK enough of that, with regards your advice and to answer the question "BMW Communication System V.O.I.C.E.11 for US model"
Everything was dealer installed per BMW for the last model year '09 in 2010. So too was the GPS mount and hard wired.
My system works coupled with a Multitec and J & M elite head/boom mic. Stereo works fine, Nav IV works also. I don't know but was wondering if the sound is suppose to automatically mute for GPS (if that level can be adjusted) and like wise for incoming phone calls. I have a 6" pigtail with male to male 2.5 to 3.5 mm jacks.
ride safe
nice chat
Yes Keith, Nice to talk to you too. I'm sure that someone more familiar with BMW's VOICE System will have a bit more information. I know that the music should mute out when the GPS wants to communicate. There might be an adjustment for it or someone might have an ADOBE manual on the VOICE communication system that they can email you.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in