Took Delivery GTL on Sat - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Jul 18th, 2011, 5:32 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Took Delivery GTL on Sat

#405 Blue GTL with a high seat is finally in my garage. Took delivery on Saturday and rode approximately 200 miles in our local mountains. Initial impressions are great. Not as comfortable as the LT but not really an uncomfortable bike. I wonít really know till I have a couple of back-to-back longs days in the saddle. What the GTL lacks in comfort it more than makes up for it in performance and handling. I havenít got slow speed shifting down yet but she shifts pretty smooth when you get on it. I couldnít ride but few hours on Sunday. Iím thinking of taking a vacation day just to get a whole day riding in. My bride isnít keen on that idea.

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory Ė Growing Up is Optional
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Jul 18th, 2011, 6:10 pm

Re: Took Delivery GTL on Sat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorchilla
#405 Blue GTL with a high seat is finally in my garage. Took delivery on Saturday and rode approximately 200 miles in our local mountains. Initial impressions are great. Not as comfortable as the LT but not really an uncomfortable bike. I wonít really know till I have a couple of back-to-back longs days in the saddle. What the GTL lacks in comfort it more than makes up for it in performance and handling. I havenít got slow speed shifting down yet but she shifts pretty smooth when you get on it. I couldnít ride but few hours on Sunday. Iím thinking of taking a vacation day just to get a whole day riding in. My bride isnít keen on that idea.
Forgot to include riding days in the pre-nup, eh?

Steve W
Canton, MI USA

2012 K 1600 GT (#901 from 8/6/2011)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old Jul 18th, 2011, 6:47 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I picked mine up a few days ago and have been on three rides with a little more than 600 miles on her.

Shifting up is no problem, in fact, really exciting, but downshifting is not very smooth. About 1/2 the time, I'm just not catching something correctly because it will jerk and the RPMS don't seem to be under control I know it's me, but it is frustrating. Got to figure out how to do it better.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

post #4 of 16 Old Jul 18th, 2011, 7:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Thumbs up Re: Took Delivery GTL on Sat

How is the sitting position? Can you flat foot with the high seat?
Want me to teach you how to downshift?
Congrats on the new bike. Have you made an appointment for the 600 mile service yet?
Now we want pics or it didn't happen!!!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 Old Jul 18th, 2011, 8:19 pm

Congrats Doug! Welcome to the "perma-grin" club!

Enjoy the "practice rides"!!!

Scott

In the garage:
'12 K1600 GTL (took delivery 5/25)
'12 Ducati Monster EVO 1100
'08 Big Dog Pitbull
'79 Honda CX 500 Deluxe (restored)

Past:
'09 BMW R1200R
'09 BMW K1200 LT
'08 Victory Vision
'06 Yamaha FJR1300
'03 BMW K1200 LT
'02 Gold Wing 1800
'98 Yamaha Roadstar
'96 GoldWing 1500
'79 Honda CX500
'77 GoldWing 1000

post #6 of 16 Old Jul 18th, 2011, 8:48 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I would love some advise on downshifting.... Seemed to do quite OK with the last bike, but this one is definitely different...... Keeping the RPMs a lot highter..

All hints and advise appreciated.... and the 600 mile service is scheduled for Wednesday.... They even have a loaner for me to play with.....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #7 of 16 Old Jul 18th, 2011, 9:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
They even have a loaner for me to play with.....
Hopefully its an S1000RR - everyone should ride one....at least once.

Scott

In the garage:
'12 K1600 GTL (took delivery 5/25)
'12 Ducati Monster EVO 1100
'08 Big Dog Pitbull
'79 Honda CX 500 Deluxe (restored)

Past:
'09 BMW R1200R
'09 BMW K1200 LT
'08 Victory Vision
'06 Yamaha FJR1300
'03 BMW K1200 LT
'02 Gold Wing 1800
'98 Yamaha Roadstar
'96 GoldWing 1500
'79 Honda CX500
'77 GoldWing 1000

post #8 of 16 Old Jul 19th, 2011, 11:25 am

Quote:
I picked mine up a few days ago and have been on three rides with a little more than 600 miles on her. .
CONGRATS!!!

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

post #9 of 16 Old Jul 19th, 2011, 4:04 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
How is the sitting position? Can you flat foot with the high seat?
Want me to teach you how to downshift?
Sitting position with high seat is much better for me. Low seat had too much knee bend for and I was hurting after an hour. Yes - I'll take you up on a shifting lesson. PM me which weekends you'll have some time. I might even buy you lunch?

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

post #10 of 16 Old Jul 19th, 2011, 6:45 pm

Got a call at 2 PM today and went down to open the top of the crate and look at #595! It will be set up tomorrow so I am taking Thursday off to trade in my LT for my Blue GTL and ride off into the Southern California sun!

Can you see the grin? LOL
post #11 of 16 Old Jul 19th, 2011, 9:07 pm

Quote:
I would love some advise on downshifting.... Seemed to do quite OK with the last bike, but this one is definitely different...... Keeping the RPMs a lot highter..

All hints and advise appreciated.... and the 600 mile service is scheduled for Wednesday.... They even have a loaner for me to play with.....
The primary thing that I try to remember is that it feels like the K16 has about 1/2 as much flywheel as the K12LT you were used to, so any throttle/engine speed/rear wheel speed mismatch will seem magnified. The fact that a wet multi-plate clutch has an entirely different feel at the lever than the LT's single-dry plate adds to the problems.

Since it has been nearly 30 years since I last regularly used a wet multi-plate clutch, I've found that I've had to re-learn wet multi-clutch engagement characteristics all over.

Where the LT clutch had a very short, very definite engagement zone, the wet multi-plate clutch's engagement zone is much broader -- in other words, it is starting to engage at least a little bit (10%?) much earlier in the clutch lever movement you were used to on the LT, yet it doesn't become more than 1/2 engaged until after the point in the lever travel you are used to already having the LT's clutch fully engaged. The K16's clutch effort assistance device only highlights the early drag, late full engagement effect -- all while the light flywheel engine's rpm's are rapidly changing as the clutch engages/disengages more or less that you are expecting.

My solution: Put my ego aside and go back to basics -- I'm doing shifting 101 like I used to teach my students -- making long, deliberately slow clutch engagement motions until I "learn" the new clutch. It's a couple hundred miles later, and I'm not there yet, but it's clearly getting better -- you should have heard some of the take-off rpm "flares" and up/down bounces when I first started riding and had *no clue* where the engagement zone was, or how broad it was. On downshifts, ssslllooowww, controlled releases, feeling for the initial "bite" of the clutch between the engine and rear wheel speeds is needed. Rest assured, it gets better. At my current rate, I'm hopeful that it will all be second nature by ~2K miles.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA

Last edited by mneblett; Jul 19th, 2011 at 9:17 pm.
post #12 of 16 Old Jul 20th, 2011, 5:31 am
Lifetime Supporter

Thumbs up Re: Took Delivery GTL on Sat

Thanks Mark.....I just knew it wasn't me! Just kidding as I knew that it WAS me! It really did/does feel awkward and your advise will go a long way in helping me to re-learn how to best ride this bike.

I appreciate the way you explained it and I'm really glad that I asked for help. With about 700 miles on the bike, it's getting better. Shifting up is a breeze, it only shifting down that really requires me to go slower and think about what I am GOING to do ahead of time and acting slowly. I really must think ahead and plan what I need to be doing. I've got 50,000 miles of muscle memory to re-program.

Riding with the cruse control on ( and by the way, what an awesome cruse control as it is so accurate and specific without any of the K1200LT hesitation) and then slowing down defiantly requires me to think about it and plan my move.

Mark, thanks again for being so specific. Time to go back to class, but for the ride, and everything special on the K1600 GTL, it is worth it!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #13 of 16 Old Jul 20th, 2011, 11:40 am

Quote:

It's probably just getting used to blipping the throttle to rev match at higher RPMs on downshifts. Also the wet multi-plate clutch on the GTL will respond much differently than the single plate dry clutch on the LT. So you can shift a little quicker with a bit lighter touch at the clutch and shift levers, and probably not as much throw of the clutch lever will be needed. Think "instantaneous" when you go for a downshift with the clutch lever, throttle blip and towing of the shift lever. You'll get the feel in a fairly short amount of time.

If not you'll just have to give me the bike.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #14 of 16 Old Jul 20th, 2011, 12:32 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks David - I think I'll work on it a little before I give it away.

Today I'm riding around on a really nice loaner, a K1200 GT.... Sort of took the long way home and it now has about 80 more miles on it. A lot more like my K1200 LT and a lot of fun. Take it back tomorrow and pick up the K1600GTL. It does rev a lot higher than the LT though.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #15 of 16 Old Jul 20th, 2011, 2:35 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Mark & Dave - Great stuff

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

post #16 of 16 Old Jul 20th, 2011, 6:17 pm

I really like my LT but I could see myself on a slightly less comfortable 6cyl Sport Touring bike. I've sit on one and it felt great to me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in