Standard seat for the K1600 GTL question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jul 17th, 2011, 3:50 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Standard seat for the K1600 GTL question

I have the STANDARD SEAT that comes with the GTL model. It looks like you should be able to raise the seat and turn over the front Barrel that it slides into, which looks like it then raises the seat about an inch.

I tried that and everything works, except that the seat will not latch. Am I doing something wrong or is it not designed to do that? It looks like the latch might be missing closure by several mm and a few washers might solve the problem.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jul 17th, 2011, 4:34 pm

Re: Standard seat for the K1600 GTL question

No you are not doing anything wrong. If you want to raise the seat with the barrel you will need to shim the front of the latch that is attached to the bike. You will also need to build a support in the middle of the seat. It can be done but will take some work, not as easy as it looks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 K1600 Exclusive
2015 R1200RTP
2018 Hyundai Tucson Limited
Colorado PGR
post #3 of 11 Old Jul 17th, 2011, 6:20 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks - That's sort of what i thought.

I don't think it will take much in the way of shims (washers) to get it up several mm's.

I didn't notice a support problem, but I'll have to look a little closer.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL

post #4 of 11 Old Jul 17th, 2011, 7:58 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Dan I did that to mine & the seat latched just fine. The problem I had was after about 30 minutes of riding there was a lot of pressure on my "Boys" from the front of the seat being higher then the rest of the seat. I flipped the bracket over the all was good in "Man Land". I use the AirHawk to put me up a lil higher & it works great. I did about 120 miles today mostly slab & I put a little more air in the Airhawk for more cushion and it worked great. At the end of the ride I was on some twisties so I just let some air out to get closer to the bike. You can let air out as you go just by unzipping the back of the cover & twisting the valve a little.

Stevie Shreeve
post #5 of 11 Old Jul 18th, 2011, 5:47 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Dan I did that to mine & the seat latched just fine. The problem I had was after about 30 minutes of riding there was a lot of pressure on my "Boys" from the front of the seat being higher then the rest of the seat. I flipped the bracket over the all was good in "Man Land". I use the AirHawk to put me up a lil higher & it works great. I did about 120 miles today mostly slab & I put a little more air in the Airhawk for more cushion and it worked great. At the end of the ride I was on some twisties so I just let some air out to get closer to the bike. You can let air out as you go just by unzipping the back of the cover & twisting the valve a little.
Thanks Steve - Good advise and I really appreciate it... I was riding yesterday with beads and when I removed them later for some variety, I really noticed a seat height difference. This was telling me that I do need the seat raised at least another inch or so, but after looking at the gap and realizing that the seat won't be level, I think that flipping over the "barrel" in the front won't be the way to go. (I wonder why it's made to flip over? - maybe for the other higher seat?)

I'm going to see if the dealer can get in the higher seat to try as that might be the ticket. I've got peg lowering brackets coming in from Suburban Machinery and should have them later this week to try. I was surprised at how something as simple as the beaded seat added to my comfort.

I've always been intrigued by the custom seats, but since I have a stock butt, I haven't felt the real need. Wish there was a way to try out one of Ron's as in Florida, the heat can be a bear...

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #6 of 11 Old Jul 18th, 2011, 6:25 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

I had 2 different seats on my LT. I started with the stock one & put 25,000 miles on it. Then bought a Used Rick Mayer From Dan Martin & put another 30k on that one. I had the 2nd seat recovered by a local auto upholstery shop & install a new layer of foam. I still did not like the seat so I ordered a "Gel" pad & rebuilt the seat myself. Finally I had a great seat but then I sold the bike. So here we are with a "New" stock seat on a new bike & I'm starting all over. I spent about $400. total on the seat for the LT so I might just bite the bullet & get Ron to do me a seat this time. I would go with his Magnum Seat as it is about an inch taller.
I'll Make my decision after I come back from CCR. Doing 2 SS1000 should tell me if the Airhawk will work or not.

Stevie Shreeve

Last edited by katnapinn; Jul 18th, 2011 at 10:09 am.
post #7 of 11 Old Jul 18th, 2011, 8:53 am

I put a Corbon on my LT. It was hard low and broke down after about 4000 miles. I will never buy a Corbon again.

2014 K1600 Exclusive
2015 R1200RTP
2018 Hyundai Tucson Limited
Colorado PGR
post #8 of 11 Old Jul 18th, 2011, 1:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by iride4u
I put a Corbon on my LT. It was hard low and broke down after about 4000 miles. I will never buy a Corbon again.
My LT came with a Corbin with back rest when I bought it. I also got the stock seat with it. I put the stock seat back on it. Actually liked it because I could touch the ground better, but eventually put the Corbin back on because of the backrest. First year was pretty good, but the last two it's as hard as a rock. It also seems to be pushing me forward, which I hate. I'm gonna put the stock back on for awhile until I decide to do something else. I don't know whether or not anyone has rebuilt a Corbin or not.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #9 of 11 Old Jul 18th, 2011, 6:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
I think that flipping over the "barrel" in the front won't be the way to go. (I wonder why it's made to flip over? - maybe for the other higher seat?)
The movable barrel is for use on the GT, which does have a 2-position rider seat (separate pillion section is fixed). Both GTL seats (the low seat that you have and the optional high seat) are 1-piece and non-adjustable.

Steve W
Canton, MI USA

2012 K 1600 GT (#901 from 8/6/2011)

post #10 of 11 Old Jul 28th, 2011, 11:26 pm

Garage

Things I noticed on my demo ride.
Even though it was just a 40 minute suburb jaunt one of the first things that got me was the fit. I have long legs and could still straddle the seat on the cs. The seat is way low for me. No, I did no adjustment but during the ride I had to wiggle and stretch to stay comfortable. I even had to lean much further back on my wife than I'm used to (she normally leans forward on me)
ride safe
post #11 of 11 Old Jul 29th, 2011, 2:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmith
Things I noticed on my demo ride.
Even though it was just a 40 minute suburb jaunt one of the first things that got me was the fit. I have long legs and could still straddle the seat on the cs. The seat is way low for me. No, I did no adjustment but during the ride I had to wiggle and stretch to stay comfortable. I even had to lean much further back on my wife than I'm used to (she normally leans forward on me)
ride safe
A high seat is a no-cost option (adds 1" to rider height) and a still-higher seat (from the GT) is available as an extra-cost accessory.

Steve W
Canton, MI USA

2012 K 1600 GT (#901 from 8/6/2011)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in