Hot!! ??? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jul 17th, 2011, 1:00 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Unhappy Hot!! ???

Just had the opportunity to take a demo ride on the GTL.
It's really a wild machine and I had the dealer set it up in "Rain" mode so I wouldn't do a wheelie out of the parking lot

However, It's 88 deg F. right now and I felt a ton of heat on my ankles and calves. I put my gloved hand on the RH engine case and if I left it for more than a second or two I felt it would have been burned.

Any others feeling the heat?

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jul 17th, 2011, 1:14 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Hot!! ???

Nope, not your imagination... It is hot. I've just finished putting a little over 600 miles on mine in 95 degree weather. With my left leg close to the engine, it is noticeable hotter than my right.

The "cure" is to point your left toe out a little and to not keep your leg as close to the engine. It really isn't a problem now and just takes a little adjusting to make a positive difference.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #3 of 10 Old Jul 17th, 2011, 2:05 pm

Yup, the left ankle is warmer than the right. However, I don't feel it's "hot" or to the point of uncomfortable. You can see there is a vented cover on the left side of the engine to put a little distance between your leg and the engine case.

Unlike the LT, where most everything is covered with tupperware, the K1600 shows more engine and no doubt was also to help shave weight off.

With proper riding boots (which I wear all the time) it isn't a problem. I can see if wearing low shoes where the ankle is more exposed, that someone might feel the heat more.

Scott

In the garage:
'12 K1600 GTL (took delivery 5/25)
'12 Ducati Monster EVO 1100
'08 Big Dog Pitbull
'79 Honda CX 500 Deluxe (restored)

Past:
'09 BMW R1200R
'09 BMW K1200 LT
'08 Victory Vision
'06 Yamaha FJR1300
'03 BMW K1200 LT
'02 Gold Wing 1800
'98 Yamaha Roadstar
'96 GoldWing 1500
'79 Honda CX500
'77 GoldWing 1000

post #4 of 10 Old Jul 17th, 2011, 2:37 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I did not notice the heat as you (and others) have during my one test ride, but then it was mostly on the highway - I'm guessing lots of wind volume took care of that - and I wear boots.

I'll look for it on the follow-up test ride.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #5 of 10 Old Jul 17th, 2011, 4:40 pm

This bike can get hot. I had tyo ride for 45 minutes in 95 to 100f in stop and go traffic. I did not get over 15 mph that was real hot and the warning light came on near the end. Normal riding no real problem with heat about the same as the LT.

2014 K1600 Exclusive
2015 R1200RTP
2018 Hyundai Tucson Limited
Colorado PGR
post #6 of 10 Old Jul 17th, 2011, 5:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by iride4u
This bike can get hot. I had tyo ride for 45 minutes in 95 to 100f in stop and go traffic. I did not get over 15 mph that was real hot and the warning light came on near the end. Normal riding no real problem with heat about the same as the LT.

I will disagree here...the GTL is definately hotter on the ankles than the LT, by a wide margin. The answer is, as mentioned above, to put your toe into the wind and direct it to your foot...problem solved.

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #7 of 10 Old Jul 19th, 2011, 9:22 pm

I thought it was me! Test rode a GTL today and was surprised by the amount of heat, to the point that I thought the heated seat was on. A pretty awesome ride though, other than that! I wish I'd had the bike in "Rain" mode, though. I was particularly surprised by the throttle response and it took some getting used to. The handling and rider comfort (other than the temperature thing) is stellar!

Bill Hanna
Syracuse, NY
'01 K1200LT (mauve) traded
'04 K1200LT (Black Mariah) traded
'05 (Graphite)
Oh alright. . .I'll ride next to the Harley this time!
post #8 of 10 Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 4:41 pm

I come from a K1200LT and a v-twin (Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager). While the K1600GTL is no K1200LT, it certainly isn't a v-twin either. You do feel the heat on the left side but if you have on appropriate riding wear, it isn't a problem. Turning your toe out will also make it more tolerable. I'm sure with all of the concerns mentioned on this site and the K1600forum, BMW will do something to address it. Let's continue to raise the issue but at the same time remain patient and give BMW an opportunity to figure out a resolution.

Eric
post #9 of 10 Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 10:28 pm

I just made a quick trip to the MOA rally in PA with mine. Had the first service done at 400 miles and put 1300 on it going to the rally and back. It was unbearably hot on the ride up and back for the most part. I slabbed it up to PA due to an appointment I had with Brian at Autocom to have one of his systems put in the GTL. (It works great! But that's for another thread)

On the way up the temp never dropped below 90 and often hovered around 95-99.5. And yes, my left foot and leg was pretty toasty. I've never had this amount of heat from a BMW before. I have been told, however, that the K1100LTs were pretty danged hot though. Even with the appropriate riding gear and boots on, the heat was pretty evident.

However, on my way home yesterday I dropped off the slab and wandered over to the BRP searching for cooler weather. It did drop to the upper 80s when I climbed up over 2500 feet of elevation. Once the mercury dropped below 90, I didn't sense any heat on my leg. After a good thunderstorm moved through the temp dropped to 71 (and I was ecstatic!!) and there was no issue whatsoever with engine heat at those temps. In fact, I pulled off and put my jacket back on.

So yes, there is an unacceptable amount of engine heat when the temperature is above 90, but below that, I didn't notice it at all. That's my opinion, feel free to make it yours YMMV

Greg

"Loud lives save pipes"

00 K1200LT (Emil) 94,840 trouble free miles. Gone, but not forgotten
02 R1150RT (Artie) 109,000 miles. Favorite bike. With me to the end.
10 K1300GT (The Phantom) 10,110 miles. Like flying a T-38 on 2 wheels. Gone.
12 K1600GTL (Johnny 5) 3,500. A great compromise between the LT and GT

A gaggle of Japanese bikes, then I woke up.
post #10 of 10 Old Jul 24th, 2011, 9:30 pm

My wife and I took a 25 mile test ride on the GTL in 93 degree humid heat. In addition to my left leg being hot we both felt like our heated seats were on. To be fair the bike had been sitting in direct sun before our test ride.

2018 R1200RT Mars Red
2017 R1200GS Rallye
2014 Husky FE501

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in