Picked up the Grey Ghost this morning... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 Old Jul 14th, 2011, 4:05 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Picked up the Grey Ghost this morning...

Executive overview:

Picked up new bike, rode 150 miles, it rained, we both got wet and got home safely.....

Long Story.......

The new baby came home in styleÖ..

I picked her up this morning and after going over all of the paperwork, it was time to put a few miles on her. About 150 miles later and less than 3 miles from the house, the skies just opened up. I could see rain all around and I had been dodging and avoiding little thunderstorms for several hours. It wasen'tít until I was almost home that the ďGrey GhostĒ got her first bath.

I like the new name because when I ride, I pretend that Iím invisible.

The first real ride was actually better than the demo I remembered and that was a nice surprise. When I did my test ride I kept the bike in the RAIN mode and for me that was a mistake. I really prefer the DYNAMIC ride. It is much more responsive and allows me to use the engine at slow speeds with high RPMS as a brake. That did not work as well in the RAIN mode. As per the computer, I was getting almost 40 MPG throughout my initial ride. Iím keeping the bike below 4,000RPMS for the first 200 miles and below 5,000 for the next 400.

For me, there are a lot of really nice advantages over the K1200LT and as I get more comfortable and really begin to understand how she wants to be ridden, I know Iíll like the performance even better. There are so many different controls and tweaks to learn that I didn'tít even turn on the radio or set up the satellite radio. I want to get much more familiar with every thing else first.

From other activities, Iíve learned to try and change as few things as possible at a time to program or re-program muscle memory. I didnít want to get distracted by audio or the GPS.

Just a little nice thing: I was amazed at how easy it is to remove the side and top cases. WOW, Easy and quick. Now I just need to figure how to disconnect the power cord from the seat!

A few problems/challenges/things I need to either work on or try to change:

Iím going to need to change is the seat or my leg position. Iím not sure if the taller seat would help, but I do want to try it. My bike came with the standard seat and I kept feeling like I wanted to stretch back about 2 inches. It almost seems that if I could have carved about 2Ē from the back of my seat and taken the space from the passengerís seat, I would have been more comfortable.

I also noticed more heat than I remember from the K1200LT on my left leg/ankle area. Seemed excessive, but it was 95 outside before the rains came. The bike also pulled slightly to the left if I took my hands odd of the handlebars. I donít ride that way, but it could possible lead to a problem?

Seemed like the rain protection was a little better on the K1200LT.

So after riding almost 150 miles and then getting thoroughly soaked I pulled into the driveway and realized that I had forgotten my house key or the garage remote! Parked the Grey Ghost in the driveway, walked next door to get a spare key from the neighbor and then finally got the new bike and me under cover.

The next few days are pretty busy at the aquarium, but I do plan to get in some serious riding because Wednesday morning, she is scheduled for her first fluid service and change.

I ramble and Life moves onÖÖ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0684.JPG
Views:	305
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	32074  

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old Jul 14th, 2011, 4:25 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Picked up the Grey Ghost this morning...

Dano
Congratulations........
I know you'll be making many "just checking" trips into the garage.........
Enjoy...........

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 43 Old Jul 14th, 2011, 4:31 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARFIGHTER
Dano
Congratulations........
I know you'll be making many "just checking" trips into the garage.........
Enjoy...........
I'm sorry....... What did you say? I was out in the guarage....... wiping her down.. Something about ridden hard and not wanting to put her to bed wet!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL

post #4 of 43 Old Jul 14th, 2011, 4:33 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Dano the topcase plug is under the seat. Just raise the seat & you'll see a round twist type plug like on the LT. It is at the very back. Yes there is heat on the left side just slide your foot to the outside end of the peg & it goes away. Wait till you ride the bike without the side & top cases. You thought the LT was different without the topcase. You will think you have 2 completely different bikes. I too needed more leg room with the low seat. I got an Airhawk seat cushion & it made all the difference in the world.
I can still flatfoot the bike in 1 up mode but not in 2 up as the bike raises up an inch or so. It does feel strange to be setting there & have the bike raise up under you. It seams like most of the K1600 pull a little to the left as per a poll on the K1600 forum. I have not tried to see if mine does yet. I have a little over 1100 miles so far & I'm still grinning like a kid at Christmas.

Stevie Shreeve
post #5 of 43 Old Jul 14th, 2011, 5:25 pm

Two Words: Dog. Meat.

Oops; does that make me seem jealous??

Enjoy the nice new ride!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #6 of 43 Old Jul 14th, 2011, 6:54 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Dan,

Congrats on the new ride, good to see your longer than planned wait is over.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #7 of 43 Old Jul 14th, 2011, 7:11 pm

Dan your bike really looks great. It would look better in my driveway though. #689 Silver GTL with high seat have vin but still waiting. Leaving for Nova Scotia on the 27th. Guess I will still be on the 06 LT. All right enough venting. Really Dan enjoy.
post #8 of 43 Old Jul 14th, 2011, 7:18 pm

Congrats Dan - have fun.

I notice that you have the GT windshield on your bike - how did you manage that? I'm thinking I would very much prefer the GT over the GTL, I don't like looking through the windshield when I raise it up for highway riding.

'12 K1600GTL - Mineral Silver
post #9 of 43 Old Jul 14th, 2011, 7:31 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raaze12
Congrats Dan - have fun.

I notice that you have the GT windshield on your bike - how did you manage that? I'm thinking I would very much prefer the GT over the GTL, I don't like looking through the windshield when I raise it up for highway riding.
I don't know! Must have been a mistake. Are you sure? Seems like the same windshield was on the demo too.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #10 of 43 Old Jul 14th, 2011, 7:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
I don't know! Must have been a mistake. Are you sure? Seems like the same windshield was on the demo too.
Yep that is the GT. The GTL rounds up at the top & is wider.
See here

Stevie Shreeve
post #11 of 43 Old Jul 14th, 2011, 8:30 pm

Whoo Hooo Dano!!! Congrats and welcome to the "perma-grin" club!!!

She looks good....even wet!!!

I think I know what you will be doing this weekend!!!

Scott

In the garage:
'12 K1600 GTL (took delivery 5/25)
'12 Ducati Monster EVO 1100
'08 Big Dog Pitbull
'79 Honda CX 500 Deluxe (restored)

Past:
'09 BMW R1200R
'09 BMW K1200 LT
'08 Victory Vision
'06 Yamaha FJR1300
'03 BMW K1200 LT
'02 Gold Wing 1800
'98 Yamaha Roadstar
'96 GoldWing 1500
'79 Honda CX500
'77 GoldWing 1000

post #12 of 43 Old Jul 14th, 2011, 8:44 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Hey, that thing about the windshield is wild! You are right. Mine has the cutouts on the side.

Wonder how that happened? It must have come from the factory like that because the dealer doesn't have a GT in stock.

Now the question is whether or not I keep it or go back to the dealer for a swap. Just wondering which one is the best. I'll be back on Wednesday for my first service.

I wonder why BMW didn't use the same windshield on both models?

The demo that I rode had the same one on it too.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #13 of 43 Old Jul 14th, 2011, 8:56 pm

Congrats Dan. Great looking bike

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

post #14 of 43 Old Jul 14th, 2011, 9:34 pm

Quote:
Hey, that thing about the windshield is wild! You are right. Mine has the cutouts on the side.

Wonder how that happened? It must have come from the factory like that because the dealer doesn't have a GT in stock.

Now the question is whether or not I keep it or go back to the dealer for a swap. Just wondering which one is the best. I'll be back on Wednesday for my first service.

I wonder why BMW didn't use the same windshield on both models?

The demo that I rode had the same one on it too.
Dan, the demo rides I did in Ft Myers had the same winshield as yours, not rounded. Who knows, maybe a Fl thing...

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #15 of 43 Old Jul 14th, 2011, 9:46 pm

Hey, Dan. Glad to see you are finally bikeful (opposite of bikeless?) again. Those days at the aquarium will be the longest days you ever put in. No playing hooky! Dave and I will come down as soon as the heatwave is over and take it apart for you. We won't guarantee getting it back together as good as it is now, but, hey, what's a few leftover parts between friends, huh?

Be sure and take good notes. We'll be expecting complete ride reports. Have fun and be safe out there.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #16 of 43 Old Jul 14th, 2011, 9:53 pm

Dano
Congratulations........
Glad that you are back on two wheels.
By the way the GTL's that were here all had the same windshield as on yours. There were 12 of them on the BMW demo truck.
post #17 of 43 Old Jul 14th, 2011, 10:33 pm

Dan,
Congratulations. Enjoy. Keep us advised of what's happening. And don't forget to tell us how you like the horn.
post #18 of 43 Old Jul 15th, 2011, 4:19 am

Congratulations Dan on the new ride. Keep us updated and be careful on the wet roads.
post #19 of 43 Old Jul 15th, 2011, 7:32 am

Congrats Dan, If you want to put some miles on come on up to NE Florida for a visit. Would love to see you and the new bike. Not necessarily in that order!

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #20 of 43 Old Jul 15th, 2011, 9:14 am

Congrats on your new scoot, a nice looking machine. Enjoy!

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #21 of 43 Old Jul 15th, 2011, 9:31 am

By the way Dan, I don't know who John Galt is but the grey ghost was:
John S. Mosby, (The Grey Ghost). Known as: The Grey Ghost. Confederate Officer. Born: 1833. Died: 1916.
So as you are down south are you going to have the confederate flag painted on the side?
post #22 of 43 Old Jul 15th, 2011, 10:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyw
By the way Dan, I don't know who John Galt is but the grey ghost was:
John S. Mosby, (The Grey Ghost). Known as: The Grey Ghost. Confederate Officer. Born: 1833. Died: 1916.
So as you are down south are you going to have the confederate flag painted on the side?

The Grey Ghost was a very coveted and infamous Schwinn.

I perceive from your laughing faces that you must not appreciate Civil War history.

But on a side note, since Dan is from Tampa:

The Osceola Rangers under Capt. J. W. Pearson, ran the Yankees out of Tampa Bay on July 1, 1862.

Last edited by wardenross; Jul 15th, 2011 at 11:22 am.
post #23 of 43 Old Jul 15th, 2011, 11:45 am

No peeing contest however:
You perceive incorrectly. I do appreciate Civil War history. The laughing was picturing Dan painting anything on his new ride.
post #24 of 43 Old Jul 15th, 2011, 12:59 pm

Quote:
You perceive incorrectly.

Absit invidia.
post #25 of 43 Old Jul 15th, 2011, 1:08 pm

sine offensione accipitur
post #26 of 43 Old Jul 15th, 2011, 1:43 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

I don't know where to begin....... Did my volunteer job at the big fish tank this morning with the sharks and got in a nice ride afterwords of about 100 miles. Sort of took the long way home. Today ended up exactly like yesterday except the I had my remote control for the garage door. It poured rain the last 10 minutes of my ride and I got soaked!

I am getting more used to the new bike, and appreciating a lot of the nice features like the fact that it is so much more agile than the K1200LT. It is a lot easier to put on the center stand and just feels so much lighter. I know it's less than 75 pounds difference, but it just feels like so much more. As I get more familial with the controls they get easier to use.

The only real complaint that I have is the sensitive throttle and I'm sure that more miles will fix that problem. It is very sensitive and it really makes a difference when the RPMS are kept higher than I was used to on the K1200LT.

As far as the Grey Ghost, the name just seemed to fit, but I really don't anticipate a rebel flag on the bike. Maybe an American flag! That war is long over and right or wrong, it's way past time to move on.....Some people around her are still fighting it!

Look up John Galt. An interesting man for our time but commentary for the Chat Room.

They forgot to put a horn on my bike. Don't know what that button is for, but it's definitely not for making noise.

Now I need advise. Do I keep the GT windshield or get the GTL that was supposed to be on it? I think I'll have a choice. I'm getting more wind on the K1600 GTL than I got on my K1200LT. I know I'm getting more rain.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #27 of 43 Old Jul 15th, 2011, 2:16 pm

Quote:
I don't know where to begin....... Did my volunteer job at the big fish tank this morning with the sharks and got in a nice ride afterwords of about 100 miles. Sort of took the long way home. Today ended up exactly like yesterday except the I had my remote control for the garage door. It poured rain the last 10 minutes of my ride and I got soaked!

I am getting more used to the new bike, and appreciating a lot of the nice features like the fact that it is so much more agile than the K1200LT. It is a lot easier to put on the center stand and just feels so much lighter. I know it's less than 75 pounds difference, but it just feels like so much more. As I get more familial with the controls they get easier to use.

The only real complaint that I have is the sensitive throttle and I'm sure that more miles will fix that problem. It is very sensitive and it really makes a difference when the RPMS are kept higher than I was used to on the K1200LT.

As far as the Grey Ghost, the name just seemed to fit, but I really don't anticipate a rebel flag on the bike. Maybe an American flag! That war is long over and right or wrong, it's way past time to move on.....Some people around her are still fighting it!

Look up John Galt. An interesting man for our time but commentary for the Chat Room.

They forgot to put a horn on my bike. Don't know what that button is for, but it's definitely not for making noise.

Now I need advise. Do I keep the GT windshield or get the GTL that was supposed to be on it? I think I'll have a choice. I'm getting more wind on the K1600 GTL than I got on my K1200LT. I know I'm getting more rain.
I haven't experienced the difference between the GT and GTL shields, since I have the standard GTL and my dealer's demo is a GTL also (with the correct shield).

That said, I don't like looking through the shield, and I suspect I'd be happier with the GT shield on my bike...but I guess I'll wait to see what the aftermarket comes up with, I know there are already some companies rumored to be working on shields for us.

'12 K1600GTL - Mineral Silver
post #28 of 43 Old Jul 15th, 2011, 2:20 pm

Dan, the GTL shield will give you more wind protection. I can't say about the rain as we ain't seen none in 2 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raaze12
I haven't experienced the difference between the GT and GTL shields, since I have the standard GTL and my dealer's demo is a GTL also (with the correct shield).

That said, I don't like looking through the shield, and I suspect I'd be happier with the GT shield on my bike...but I guess I'll wait to see what the aftermarket comes up with, I know there are already some companies rumored to be working on shields for us.
Ohio is not that far from Fla. Just run down a swap windshields.

Stevie Shreeve
post #29 of 43 Old Jul 15th, 2011, 5:41 pm

Dan,

I'm just a short ride up the road in TN. I'll be happy to meet you part way and swap with you. I have the the GTL screen and would prefer a GT instead. My bike has only 28 miles on it so everything is still cherry :-)

I ordered the standard seat and the Faterland sent the low one. I guess they figure my arse is dragging so I don't need a high chair :-)

Congrats on the new bike and enjoy!

Greg

"Loud lives save pipes"

00 K1200LT (Emil) 94,840 trouble free miles. Gone, but not forgotten
02 R1150RT (Artie) 109,000 miles. Favorite bike. With me to the end.
10 K1300GT (The Phantom) 10,110 miles. Like flying a T-38 on 2 wheels. Gone.
12 K1600GTL (Johnny 5) 3,500. A great compromise between the LT and GT

A gaggle of Japanese bikes, then I woke up.
post #30 of 43 Old Jul 15th, 2011, 6:26 pm

About three years ago I went looking for a way to carry a garage door remote on my bike, weather proof, what I ended up with I have had on two bikes now and it is a Flash to Pass. Hooks to high beam wire (brown I belive) and a receiver at the power head of garage door opener. Flash your high beam twice door opens or closes. Way nice to ride up and have your door open, with out getting off your bike or digging for a remote. ( If you have a older door operator you may need to install a transformer at the operator for the system to work IE and old phone unit 9volts will work. Ron

09 LT
07 500 Vulcan (sweetie's)
94 R1100RS
96 DR650
post #31 of 43 Old Jul 15th, 2011, 8:49 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

I'm not sure if I want to keep what I have or make a swap, but if I decide to switch, I'll give someone on this forum the chance first, before I trade with the dealer.

I'll probably hook up a switch for my garage opener on the bike. On my K1200LT it was easy to keep the remote in the little dash box, but on the K1600GTL, it's too small and out of the way.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #32 of 43 Old Jul 16th, 2011, 12:11 am

Garage

Hooray! Finally!
I see it was raining on the 14th did that have anything to do with the name. In my demo ride about 3 weeks ago I had one the same color and I know you already checked out the different riding modes. So if rain is your thing just ride on. Best thing enjoy ride you had a long wait.
ride safe
post #33 of 43 Old Jul 16th, 2011, 12:33 am

Garage

Quote:
Dano
Congratulations........
Glad that you are back on two wheels.
By the way the GTL's that were here all had the same windshield as on yours. There were 12 of them on the BMW demo truck.
Same here I wrote a thread about my test ride and mentioned the small windshield June 25th grand opening in Countryside with demo rides. I don't recall seeing any with LT shields.
ride safe
post #34 of 43 Old Jul 16th, 2011, 6:32 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

I'm going to head up through the middle of the state this morning to put a few more miles on her before it rains, as It's supposed to by around 1:00 or so... Maybe I'll finally get home just a little sweaty instead of what has become a torrential shower.

I spent several hours with the manuals last night. Lots of information and helpful tips like how to reset the trip odometer. I still haven't figured out why it's important to have two separate fuel usage indicators. Why have two different mileage indicators? And to have two separate screens for the heated seat/seats/handlebar? Seems like a wasted screen.

I'm hoping that I can move the order of the screens or simply eliminate some as you have to toggle through unneeded screens to get to the ones that you need. Nice to have a hot screen that you can go to imediately....

I thought about taking off the side compartments ( takes less than 10 seconds!) and the top case ( less than a minute!) but where would I keep my rain suit and tools? Can't remember ever riding without them except for my first 20 + years of riding....

Enough! Time to go ride.... Highway, 301, 98, 48..... her I come.....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #35 of 43 Old Jul 16th, 2011, 8:29 am

A new bike is the best way to stop a drought.

I bought a new Triumph near Columbia, SC, in the spring of 2008. It had not rained there for over 100 days.

As soon as I left the dealership, it began to rain and rained all the way to my hacienda which is about 250 miles away in Georgia.

Dan, enjoy your "rain dance" on the Grey Ghost! Best of luck with the new beast!
post #36 of 43 Old Jul 16th, 2011, 9:21 am

[QUOTE=I thought about taking off the side compartments ( takes less than 10 seconds!) and the top case ( less than a minute!) but where would I keep my rain suit and tools? Can't remember ever riding without them except for my first 20 + years of riding[/QUOTE]

Dan, just bungee them to the sweet looking factory bracket under the top case!

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

Last edited by SmokinJoe; Jul 16th, 2011 at 9:27 am.
post #37 of 43 Old Jul 16th, 2011, 9:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat
About three years ago I went looking for a way to carry a garage door remote on my bike, weather proof, what I ended up with I have had on two bikes now and it is a Flash to Pass. Hooks to high beam wire (brown I belive) and a receiver at the power head of garage door opener. Flash your high beam twice door opens or closes. Way nice to ride up and have your door open, with out getting off your bike or digging for a remote. ( If you have a older door operator you may need to install a transformer at the operator for the system to work IE and old phone unit 9volts will work. Ron
Installed the Flash2Pass on the right side in the fairing (you can see the little box in the picture). Simple install. remove the right speaker cover tap the top two wires of the connector. The two purple wires and the brown ground wires are left alone.

(image "borrowed" from mneblett on another forum).

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
2012 K1600GTL Silver

IBA # 42277

post #38 of 43 Old Jul 16th, 2011, 3:01 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Maybe I'll finally get home just a little sweaty instead of what has become a torrential shower.
Didn't they tell you? That's a feature of the K1600 bikes. During the last 5-10 miles of every ride there is an automatic bike wash program that kicks in to rinse off all that road grime.

Or maybe it's just Florida outside.

Glad you're enjoying the new wheels.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #39 of 43 Old Jul 16th, 2011, 5:15 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Didn't they tell you? That's a feature of the K1600 bikes. During the last 5-10 miles of every ride there is an automatic bike wash program that kicks in to rinse off all that road grime.

Or maybe it's just Florida outside.

Glad you're enjoying the new wheels.
I got home today after a ride and there was rain in my mirrors. It came down about 30 minutes after the bike was put away.

The new bike is a blast and I feel like I'm on a first date, getting to learn about all of the new reactions, switches and buttons....

It is taking a while to learn how to ride her as the reactions are so much quicker than the K1200LT and it really makes a difference when you keep the RPMS up higher. A brand new experience.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #40 of 43 Old Jul 16th, 2011, 7:05 pm

Quote:
I got home today after a ride and there was rain in my mirrors. It came down about 30 minutes after the bike was put away.

The new bike is a blast and I feel like I'm on a first date, getting to learn about all of the new reactions, switches and buttons....

It is taking a while to learn how to ride her as the reactions are so much quicker than the K1200LT and it really makes a difference when you keep the RPMS up higher. A brand new experience.

Just wait until you have had your first service and can ring her out over 5k on the rpms...it is AMAZING the way she moves!!!

Scott

In the garage:
'12 K1600 GTL (took delivery 5/25)
'12 Ducati Monster EVO 1100
'08 Big Dog Pitbull
'79 Honda CX 500 Deluxe (restored)

Past:
'09 BMW R1200R
'09 BMW K1200 LT
'08 Victory Vision
'06 Yamaha FJR1300
'03 BMW K1200 LT
'02 Gold Wing 1800
'98 Yamaha Roadstar
'96 GoldWing 1500
'79 Honda CX500
'77 GoldWing 1000

post #41 of 43 Old Jul 16th, 2011, 11:51 pm

Dan et al.....I'm happy for all you lucky guys on your new bikes! I look forward to reading about your experiences....who knows....maybe one in my future after the kids graduate from college! In the meantime, Hallzee and I will chill!

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

post #42 of 43 Old Jul 17th, 2011, 1:53 am

Garage

Dan,

Congrats...and enjoy the new ride.
post #43 of 43 Old Jul 17th, 2011, 6:24 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Tanks ALL - Time for a few more break in miles....

Off on another shake down cruse throughout Central Florida. Gona see if I can find some Love Bugs, cows and maybe a thunderstorm or two. Just missed out on a few yesterday. I need to have about 600 miles on her by Wednesday morning. She is scheduled for her first service, a wash and then going to get her covered with protective 3M plastic.

Every time I get on her I seem to learn a little more about some new feature I had forgotten about or how to make a part of the bike more comfortable. I've got some peg lowering blocks on order from Suburban Machinery that should allow me to stretch out a little more like I had on the K1200LT. Hopefully that will allow me to keep the seat as my custom seat seems to fir it OK.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in