Lurker alert - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jul 13th, 2011, 7:16 pm Thread Starter

Lurker alert

I am a Goldwing rider and am ready for a new bike. Considering making the move to the BMW world. I like the looks of the GTL and plan to do a test ride soon. I was wondering if there are any GT/GTL owners here that came from the Wing world?

I do almost all my own maintenance on my Wing (oil, filters, etc.) and am concerned about the complexity of the BMW maintenance.

Also, what about extended warranty?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jul 13th, 2011, 7:30 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Lurker alert

I'm not a "Winger" but I did come from the BMW K1200LT & did ALL my own maintainance including valve checks. Normal maintainance on the GTL looks to be even easier then on the LT. I'm not sure about the Valves but I'll worry 'bout that when the time comes.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 7 Old Jul 13th, 2011, 10:27 pm

Haven't done maintenance yet but I have removed nearly all of the fairings and it was extremely easy. BMW uses very few types of bolts; nearly every fairing bolt is exactly identical, and it's very easy to disassemble and reassemble the fairings, unlike with the FJR1300 I once had which could be very difficult. Also the BMW uses virtually no push-pins; I've only found two so far and they were for some under-seat black plastic trim.

post #4 of 7 Old Jul 13th, 2011, 11:02 pm
Super Moderator

I am about to make the jump to a GTL from an LT - not a Wingman!!

Except for the 600 mile checkup no dealer has never seen my '02 for over 9 years.

I perceive the GTL to be about the same maintenance wise with one exception
the canbus system along with much of the additional electronic controls and instrumentation.

If you are mechanically inclined - sounds like you are and you stay attached to this site you
will have a whole bunch of enthusiasts helping out on every conceivable issue!!

Dan Finazzo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #5 of 7 Old Jul 14th, 2011, 8:25 am

According to my dealer; routine mnt can be done yourself, if you are tall opt for the higher seat option (no addl' chrg), extended warranty available and varies state to state. I wish BMW would provide their own extended warr, I don't like third paty warranties although my current Pinnacle plan is OK.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #6 of 7 Old Jul 14th, 2011, 9:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiseman
I am a Goldwing rider and am ready for a new bike. Considering making the move to the BMW world. I like the looks of the GTL and plan to do a test ride soon. I was wondering if there are any GT/GTL owners here that came from the Wing world?

I do almost all my own maintenance on my Wing (oil, filters, etc.) and am concerned about the complexity of the BMW maintenance.

Also, what about extended warranty?
I have had a GL1800 since early 2003, have had a GT, and currently own both a 'wing and an "R" bike (R1200GS Adventure), and have a GTL on order, if I can get my wing sold.

The "R" bikes (two cylinder boxer) tend to be pretty maintenance intensive, since I let my dealer do it all, it gets pretty expensive, but worth it! The maintenance isn't complex, I'm just not physically able to do it.

Since the introduction of the new generation four cylinder bikes ("K" bikes), BMW has gotten a bit more serious about extending maintenance requirements (valve check at 18K miles instead of 6K miles, for instance) It's likely that the new six will continue and maybe even improve on that trend. However, BMW it pretty serious about requiring brake system and cooling system flushes that most goldwing riders pretty much ignore. I doubt that really means that the BMW's need it more, the wing (and most cars) require it, most just don't do it, and few suffer any issues. That may have something to do with the fact that more very old BMW's are still being used as daily riders than most big four bikes. Like a 'wing, BMW's just don't seem to wear out!

The extended warranty is much more expensive for BMW's, at least here in Florida, over 50& more! I tend to wear out tires a bit faster on my BMW's, but I think that's a right wrist issue

Ruben

2012 K1600 GTL
2007 R1200GS Adventure
post #7 of 7 Old Jul 14th, 2011, 12:34 pm

I too went from a goldwing to a BMW LT, I still have my wing and ride on a rare occasion. The LT performs and handles so much better than any goldwing. I don't own a GTL/GT yet but I have spent several hours riding the GTL on many types of roads, can't stress enough how the GTL performs, It is very smooth in all gears and any rpm, no vibration in bars or in seat areas. Don't get me wrong I still love my wing, but it just doesn't handle well in the twisties soo I save it for more just cruising on fwy. Good luck in your decision

Clayton
2003 K1200LTE 128k miles and counting
1999 GL1500A
2009 R1200GSA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in