In-ear monitors & K1600 Bluetooth - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old May 12th, 2011, 6:34 pm Thread Starter

In-ear monitors & K1600 Bluetooth

Wasn't sure if I should put this in another category, but since it really relates to the K1600, I thought I'd put it up here.

I use custom fit in-ear monitors with my ipod - the combination works great in that they act as ear plugs, and yet I can listen to my music at a much-reduced volume than with either in-helmet speakers or fairing mounted speakers. With the K1600 on its way (hopefully) I would like to utilize the same set up, but with the bluetooth-only set up of the K1600, I'm not sure how I'm going to do this. I am seriously considering moving from my Aria full face to a Shuberth, and while the BMW comm system or the Shuberth collar will work with the bluetooth, it would be going back to an in-helmet speaker system which defeats the noise reduction I'm seeking with my custom fit in-ear monitors.

Ideas as to how I could still use my in-ear monitors with the K1600? I have to believe I'm not the only one who is facing this issue....

Thanks!

Scott

In the garage:
'12 K1600 GTL (took delivery 5/25)
'12 Ducati Monster EVO 1100
'08 Big Dog Pitbull
'79 Honda CX 500 Deluxe (restored)

Past:
'09 BMW R1200R
'09 BMW K1200 LT
'08 Victory Vision
'06 Yamaha FJR1300
'03 BMW K1200 LT
'02 Gold Wing 1800
'98 Yamaha Roadstar
'96 GoldWing 1500
'79 Honda CX500
'77 GoldWing 1000

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old May 12th, 2011, 7:10 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: In-ear monitors & K1600 Bluetooth

Scott what ever Bluetooth system you use on your helmet all you need to do is remove the speakers & ether splice your earbuds directly into the speaker wires or like I did wire a female plug into the speaker connection. That way I can plug in my earbuds or not. Sometimes I do not want music, just to ride & hear nature.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 13 Old May 13th, 2011, 8:37 am

There are plenty of tiny bluetooth stereo receivers out there that you can easily clip to your jacket or helmet strap or elsewhere. If you get the Garmin, just pair the Garmin to the receiver and plug your earbuds into that. The Garmin would act as your "mixer" for all the inputs and your bluetooth receiver would send all the signals to your earbuds. I'm not sure how the Bluetooth is intended to work on the BMW since the whole system is Bluetooth, but it seems reasonable that you could work out a solution to this fairly easily. Of course, I say this as someone who has written the GTL off my list to replace my Victory Vision in large part due to the Bluetooth ONLY audio system.

post #4 of 13 Old May 13th, 2011, 10:33 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350
There are plenty of tiny bluetooth stereo receivers out there that you can easily clip to your jacket or helmet strap or elsewhere. If you get the Garmin, just pair the Garmin to the receiver and plug your earbuds into that. The Garmin would act as your "mixer" for all the inputs and your bluetooth receiver would send all the signals to your earbuds. I'm not sure how the Bluetooth is intended to work on the BMW since the whole system is Bluetooth, but it seems reasonable that you could work out a solution to this fairly easily. Of course, I say this as someone who has written the GTL off my list to replace my Victory Vision in large part due to the Bluetooth ONLY audio system.
To say you would "Write Off" a bike of this caliber ONLY because it is bluetooth is simple moronic. And NO I AM NOT calling you a moron, just that statement is. The technology in this bike is SO Far advanced over most other bikes that it is in it's own class. Yes I agree that for you it may not be the bike you want for many reasons but to dismiss any bike for using the latest technology is mind boggling to say the least.

Stevie Shreeve
post #5 of 13 Old May 13th, 2011, 10:27 pm

I too use in-ear monitors and will never go back to helmet speakers. Suffice to say that there are lots of ways to make this work. However, everything has tradeoffs. As best I can tell, only the Schuberth helmet will provide full functionality/integration with the electronics. So, a plug/circuit would have to be installed in the helmet to allow for switching between the in-helmet speakers and the in-ear monitors. That would be the cleanest solution.

I've been told that J&M is hard at work on a solution. Then there's Scala that make the system in the Schuberth helmet. Suffice to say that there will be solutions. It's just a question of how long it will take.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
2012 K1600GTL Silver

IBA # 42277

post #6 of 13 Old May 16th, 2011, 12:14 pm

Can't you just pair your earbuds to the bike audio system? There is already an i-Pod plug so you can control your music from the dial on the left grip.
post #7 of 13 Old May 16th, 2011, 2:08 pm

Lightbulb Re: In-ear monitors & K1600 Bluetooth

I too use Big Ear custom molded earpugs with the speaker system contained within. I was told by the Schuberth rep that their standard bluetooth collar system has a electrical socket provision to accept the standard 1/8" jacks common with music ear plugs. He did advise me that if I was buying a new K1600GT/GTL that I should not buy their standard collar, but rather the BMW specifc system collar (made by Schuberth). He was not 100% positive, but believed the earplug jack feature would be retained in the new BMW bluetooth system.
post #8 of 13 Old May 16th, 2011, 4:48 pm

If it has a set of speakers autocom makes a adaptor which would allow connection to the speakers, it terminates into a 3.5mm stereo male plug, get a female to female inline adapter, plug your in ear speakers in, and off u go. Kieth call me for more info.

918-446-2245
post #9 of 13 Old May 30th, 2011, 12:36 am Thread Starter

Now that I have the bike, I've decided to give this a try to connect my in-ear monitors/plugs with this receiver:

http://amzn.to/mxPNmB

Scott

In the garage:
'08 Big Dog Pitbull

Past:
'09 BMW R1200R
'09 BMW K1200 LT
'08 Victory Vision
'06 Yamaha FJR1300
'03 BMW K1200 LT
'02 Gold Wing 1800
'98 Yamaha Roadstar
'96 GoldWing 1500
'79 Honda CX500
'77 GoldWing 1000

post #10 of 13 Old May 31st, 2011, 9:02 pm

I use the IMC Motocom BTS300 bluetooth unit which offers a harness that accepts a mini-plug connection. I use it with my S-plug in the ear canal monitors.
post #11 of 13 Old Jun 1st, 2011, 11:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBreeze
Now that I have the bike, I've decided to give this a try to connect my in-ear monitors/plugs with this receiver:

Scott, that looks like what another company (won't name here) says they are
working on. Please let us know how this works for you. Thanks. ....Jon
post #12 of 13 Old Jun 1st, 2011, 9:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBreeze

It's $11 cheaper here: http://jb.factoryoutletstore.com/details/36418/clipper

If you use Firefox, there's a little addon called invisible hand. When you go shopping on the web, it will search ahead and put a little banner at the top showing the best prices available on the net. Usually saves me money every time.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #13 of 13 Old Jun 11th, 2011, 6:04 pm Thread Starter

Well, the Jabra Clipper paired up with the BT just fine and it works fine, except that the Clipper overrides the multi-controller for the volume control. Good enough to get me by for now, but ideally is to be able to plug the in-ear monitors directly into the audio system. Might require pulling the fairing apart and figure a way to tap into the speaker output with a female 3.5mm jack.

Scott

In the garage:
'08 Big Dog Pitbull

Past:
'09 BMW R1200R
'09 BMW K1200 LT
'08 Victory Vision
'06 Yamaha FJR1300
'03 BMW K1200 LT
'02 Gold Wing 1800
'98 Yamaha Roadstar
'96 GoldWing 1500
'79 Honda CX500
'77 GoldWing 1000

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in