As promised - some real K1600GT/GTL photos - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Nov 29th, 2010, 4:46 pm Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: , ,
Posts: 64
As promised - some real K1600GT/GTL photos

I've just got home from the annual British Bike show in Birmingham (UK), and I've uploaded 170 pics from the day, many of which are of the K1600GT and GTL bikes on display there today on the BMW stand.

The link is http://www.tomphillipsphotos.co.uk/ukbikeshow291110

The BMW photos come after the shots of the Victory Vision, and there are more at the end of the gallery, after the choppers.

I had plenty of time to explore both bikes, and photograph key parts. These all looked like the real thing, and not display mules. 2 of each on show.

First impressions - erm, I didn't like it. I'm 10 years a K1200LT rider, and these things looked a bit cheap by comparison (though not by price, which looks like roughly £17,000 for the GT and £20,000 for the GTL when released in the UK on 19 March 2011).

Size, wise, looks about same as K1200LT. Weight about the same too. However, no hydraulic stand (too little ground clearance?), so back pain sufferers need not apply. Engine crash bars look like optional accessory (one on show had them, the other not), so don't drop it. The "wing" things on the sides, above the outer cylinders, are plastic covers for a cooling pipe, and very flimsy. There are also a number of cosmetic plastic lumps just bolted on - eg under the mirrors.

Seat is one piece. 2 adjustable heights, which is fine if both parties agree, No sign of independent front/rear heating controls - just one switch with 2 heats. GTL has "comfort seat" that looks lower and thinner. Also has more raked back bars and lower footpegs. Seated position quite like K1200LT.

Shots include dash and controls. GPS unit is removable by pressing panel just above it. Removed (presumably for security and updating software) there is a nasty hole in the dash. Left bar includes rotary control for music, GPS etc.

Pillion footpegs look high, and pillion position feels higher than K1200LT.

Much of the rest looked rather familiar. No innovations visible in wheels or brakes. Akropovich twin exhausts in stainless steel on GT but chromed on GTL. All visible differences between the two bikes, apart from bars, were largely cosmetic, with GTL having more chromed plastic bits and pieces.

Happy to answer any questions on what I saw. The Show staff there, although in BMW corporate wear were singularly underinformed on anything technical. They'd just learned how to describe the bikes. One I spoke to had clearly never seen a K1200LT.

I have a copy of all the new BMW brochures, including the GT and GTL leaflets. Not yet read them through, however, so give me time!

Like I said, I didn't really like it,and it will have to work some to grow on me.

Tom

Maidstone,
England

Deepest Black 2008 K1200LT Lux
Burgundybus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old Nov 29th, 2010, 5:15 pm
Senior Member
 
mwnahas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Bedford Hts, OH, USA
Posts: 4,238
Re: As promised - some real K1600GT/GTL photos

Thanks for the post and all the pics.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
mwnahas is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old Nov 29th, 2010, 5:57 pm
Senior Member
 
messenger13_ver2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cleveland, OH, USA
Posts: 1,566
Re: As promised - some real K1600GT/GTL photos

Nice pics, thanks.

If the final drive proves solid, I'll be buying one.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgundybus
No sign of independent front/rear heating controls - just one switch with 2 heats.
I think it's safe to assume that the switch on the seat is for the pillion. The front seat heater will be controlled by a hand control, like the current GT.

- Just Joe

(Current bikes)
  • 2001 BMW K1200LTC
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • 2010 Kawasaki Concours14
  • 1985 Honda V65 Magna
  • 2005 Harley V-Rod Chrome Edition
  • 2003 Harley V-Rod Anniversary Edition

Last edited by messenger13_ver2; Nov 29th, 2010 at 6:03 pm.
messenger13_ver2 is offline  
 
post #4 of 18 Old Nov 29th, 2010, 6:16 pm
Senior Member
 
mwnahas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Bedford Hts, OH, USA
Posts: 4,238
Re: As promised - some real K1600GT/GTL photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2
Nice pics, thanks.

If the final drive proves solid, I'll be buying one.


I think it's safe to assume that the switch on the seat is for the pillion. The front seat heater will be controlled by a hand control, like the current GT.
The switch is probably for manual on/off but I would bet you could control the heat level for each seat from the multi-controller.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
mwnahas is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old Nov 29th, 2010, 6:26 pm
Senior Member
 
Palerider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Big Piney, Wyoming, USA
Posts: 1,745
Re: As promised - some real K1600GT/GTL photos

Your photo gallery was excellent. Served to save me the entrance fee and the tired legs................thanx



Jim and Cyndy
'03 Black..."Ol' Dollar"
TDMTT
Palerider is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old Nov 29th, 2010, 8:18 pm
Senior Member
 
fluffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: , ,
Posts: 267
Re: As promised - some real K1600GT/GTL photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgundybus
I
Shots include dash and controls. GPS unit is removable by pressing panel just above it. Removed (presumably for security and updating software) there is a nasty hole in the dash.
The bike comes with a cover, the GPS is not included. It's prewired for it on the GTL.

Thanks for the pics.

fluffy is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old Nov 29th, 2010, 8:20 pm
Senior Member
 
motorhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Old Hangtown, CA, USA
Posts: 2,406
Re: As promised - some real K1600GT/GTL photos

Most excellent ... some really nice rides in the mix ... some eye candy ... and some worthless ones too.

Very much your typical type show

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
T
wisties Required
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

motorhead is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old Nov 29th, 2010, 8:38 pm
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Spokane , Wa, USA
Posts: 84
Re: As promised - some real K1600GT/GTL photos

Thanks for your efforts. Nice pictures.
JQFAST is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old Nov 29th, 2010, 9:28 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,429
Re: As promised - some real K1600GT/GTL photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgundybus
I've just got home from the annual British Bike show in Birmingham (UK), and I've uploaded 170 pics from the day, many of which are of the K1600GT and GTL bikes on display there today on the BMW stand.

The link is http://www.tomphillipsphotos.co.uk/ukbikeshow291110

The BMW photos come after the shots of the Victory Vision, and there are more at the end of the gallery, after the choppers.

I had plenty of time to explore both bikes, and photograph key parts. These all looked like the real thing, and not display mules. 2 of each on show.

First impressions - erm, I didn't like it. I'm 10 years a K1200LT rider, and these things looked a bit cheap by comparison (though not by price, which looks like roughly £17,000 for the GT and £20,000 for the GTL when released in the UK on 19 March 2011).

Size, wise, looks about same as K1200LT. Weight about the same too. However, no hydraulic stand (too little ground clearance?), so back pain sufferers need not apply. Engine crash bars look like optional accessory (one on show had them, the other not), so don't drop it. The "wing" things on the sides, above the outer cylinders, are plastic covers for a cooling pipe, and very flimsy. There are also a number of cosmetic plastic lumps just bolted on - eg under the mirrors.

Seat is one piece. 2 adjustable heights, which is fine if both parties agree, No sign of independent front/rear heating controls - just one switch with 2 heats. GTL has "comfort seat" that looks lower and thinner. Also has more raked back bars and lower footpegs. Seated position quite like K1200LT.

Shots include dash and controls. GPS unit is removable by pressing panel just above it. Removed (presumably for security and updating software) there is a nasty hole in the dash. Left bar includes rotary control for music, GPS etc.

Pillion footpegs look high, and pillion position feels higher than K1200LT.

Much of the rest looked rather familiar. No innovations visible in wheels or brakes. Akropovich twin exhausts in stainless steel on GT but chromed on GTL. All visible differences between the two bikes, apart from bars, were largely cosmetic, with GTL having more chromed plastic bits and pieces.

Happy to answer any questions on what I saw. The Show staff there, although in BMW corporate wear were singularly underinformed on anything technical. They'd just learned how to describe the bikes. One I spoke to had clearly never seen a K1200LT.

I have a copy of all the new BMW brochures, including the GT and GTL leaflets. Not yet read them through, however, so give me time!

Like I said, I didn't really like it,and it will have to work some to grow on me.
Nice pics. I am looking forward to seeing them in person, but admit to not being a huge fan of the styling. I mainly don't like the humped tank which then slopes downward at the front. The look makes it appear the bike was bent upwards in the middle.

However, it is hard to tell about styling until you see one in person. I didn't like the LT that much when I had seen only pcitures, but seeing it in person won me over. Then again, when the only competition was Gold Wing, Ultra Classic and Victory Vision, it didn't take much to win me over!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old Nov 30th, 2010, 9:49 am
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Washington, DC, USA
Posts: 38
Re: As promised - some real K1600GT/GTL photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgundybus

Size, wise, looks about same as K1200LT. Weight about the same too. However, no hydraulic stand (too little ground clearance?), so back pain sufferers need not apply. Engine crash bars look like optional accessory (one on show had them, the other not), so don't drop it.
According to available information, the weight wet on the K1600 GTL is about 100 lbs less than the wet weight on the K1200LT. Getting my K1200 GT onto it's center stand doesn't cause this back pain sufferer any problems, although I would certainly welcome the addition on my bike.

Crash bars are an option on both bikes, as are crash covers for the paniers so you can save their paint as well. There is an optional headlight that mounts on or near the crash bars (couldn't tell the mounting location in the pictures I have seen).

Anyone want to take bets on how long before someone releases highway pegs? Mounting them to the crash bars seems like a no brainer.

Kalli
2013 K1600 GTL

Former owner
2006 K1200 GT
Kalli is offline  
post #11 of 18 Old Nov 30th, 2010, 10:24 am
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Washington, DC, USA
Posts: 38
Re: As promised - some real K1600GT/GTL photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgundybus
Seat is one piece. 2 adjustable heights, which is fine if both parties agree, No sign of independent front/rear heating controls - just one switch with 2 heats. GTL has "comfort seat" that looks lower and thinner. Also has more raked back bars and lower footpegs. Seated position quite like K1200LT.
The rear seat heater control is visible in this picture. Not crazy about location as it sits right next to the pillion passenger's leg.

http://www.tomphillipsphotos.co.uk/u.../_TP12643.html

Kalli
2013 K1600 GTL

Former owner
2006 K1200 GT
Kalli is offline  
post #12 of 18 Old Nov 30th, 2010, 1:41 pm
Member
 
keepitreal_k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ballston Spa, NY, USA
Posts: 49
Re: As promised - some real K1600GT/GTL photos

Hi All,

Great pics and write up, thank you!

Is it my eyes, or can you really see through this bike in front of the rear tire, under the seats?

In this photo, or is just a piece of trim missing?

Probably doesn't matter one way or the other, just was surprised to see that much background coming through there.

Kirk

'09 K12LT 'Under Warranty' (34k+)
'08 K12LT the 'Hearse' 30K(traded)
'05 R12GS 'Ride 'n Dirty' 40K(traded)
'05 K12LT 'Magic Carpet Ride' 48K (traded for '08)
'05 K12S 'Sweet Emotion' 3K (traded in order to stay alive)
'00 R12C 'Bare Bones' 15K (sold)
keepitreal_k is offline  
post #13 of 18 Old Nov 30th, 2010, 2:27 pm
Senior Member
 
fluffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: , ,
Posts: 267
Re: As promised - some real K1600GT/GTL photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitreal_k
Is it my eyes, or can you really see through this bike in front of the rear tire, under the seats?
Kirk

Just like on the RT.. some folks have gone to great lengths to cut out plastic sheets to cover that area... It's pointless.. if it's raining, your legs will get wet and this isn't a bike that will be ridden through mud, so rear wheel spray isn't an issue for me.. Never had a concern about this on the 1200RT.
fluffy is offline  
post #14 of 18 Old Nov 30th, 2010, 2:40 pm
Senior Member
 
Winghunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Regnitzlosau, Bavaria, Germany
Posts: 232
Re: As promised - some real K1600GT/GTL photos

tom, thanks for sharing the pictures with us.

Would it be fine for you, if I would post the link for your pictures on the forum where I am the Administrator from??? By the way, many Lt riders of this Forum are already Members of our community. so, the pictures will not be in the wrong hands

This Victory thing is very nice. Ok, everything is a question of your own personal taste.

best regards from Bavaria

Rudy
"Winghunter"
Administrator and Chairman of the MTCG
The European Motorcycle Touring Community
Motorcycle Touring Club Germany

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Winghunter is offline  
post #15 of 18 Old Nov 30th, 2010, 3:59 pm Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: , ,
Posts: 64
Re: As promised - some real K1600GT/GTL photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitreal_k
Hi All,

Great pics and write up, thank you!

Is it my eyes, or can you really see through this bike in front of the rear tire, under the seats?

In this photo, or is just a piece of trim missing?

Probably doesn't matter one way or the other, just was surprised to see that much background coming through there.

Kirk
Yes, it's a gap right through.

Tom

Maidstone,
England

Deepest Black 2008 K1200LT Lux
Burgundybus is offline  
post #16 of 18 Old Nov 30th, 2010, 4:01 pm Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: , ,
Posts: 64
Re: As promised - some real K1600GT/GTL photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winghunter
tom, thanks for sharing the pictures with us.

Would it be fine for you, if I would post the link for your pictures on the forum where I am the Administrator from??? By the way, many Lt riders of this Forum are already Members of our community. so, the pictures will not be in the wrong hands

This Victory thing is very nice. Ok, everything is a question of your own personal taste.
Rudy,

Go right ahead.

Tom

Maidstone,
England

Deepest Black 2008 K1200LT Lux
Burgundybus is offline  
post #17 of 18 Old Nov 30th, 2010, 4:04 pm
Senior Member
 
Winghunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Regnitzlosau, Bavaria, Germany
Posts: 232
Re: As promised - some real K1600GT/GTL photos

thats very kind of you.

I will post the link tomorrow on our forum!!

Hope to meet you on our forum as well!

Thanks again Mate.

best regards from Bavaria

Rudy
"Winghunter"
Administrator and Chairman of the MTCG
The European Motorcycle Touring Community
Motorcycle Touring Club Germany

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Winghunter is offline  
post #18 of 18 Old Dec 1st, 2010, 6:11 am
Senior Member
 
MOPMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Macomb, MI, USA
Posts: 181
Re: K1600GT/GTL highway pegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalli
Anyone want to take bets on how long before someone releases highway pegs? Mounting them to the crash bars seems like a no brainer.
We are anxious to know the exact diameter of the engine guard.

From the one picture that shows an engine guard (crash bar) on the left side of the blue bike, it appears that we already have several models of Mick-O-Pegs to provide a low foot position. If the diameter is 1", we would have them in stock. Models KA, KD & KL look like logical choices based on that one pic. (BTW, great shots. Thanks)

The trailing edge of the fairing may be an issue with many highway pegs, especially for highway pegs placed just out from the guard. That's been the problem for many Gold Wing riders - getting pegs high enough to not limit turns, and also not be the OBGYN position...

As soon as one comes into our local dealership, I have dibs on a close look before it goes out the door so we can provide some information for those of you getting the first ones from your dealerships.

When you're comfortable...Riding Is Wonderful

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Joyfully, MOPMan (Jim Mick)
MOPMan is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Canon 5D Mark II - all-in-one solution (still photos AND video)? Bruce_Yates Photography 17 Aug 2nd, 2010 9:25 am
Speedometer mod photos? Allred K1200LT 8 Nov 15th, 2008 10:02 am
What's a REAL motorcycle? bowlesj Bike Talk 12 Aug 11th, 2008 4:27 pm
Delia vs Real Women Woolly Humor 3 Mar 1st, 2008 6:27 am
OT - Calendar of my underwater photos! Bruce_Yates Chit Chat 3 Aug 15th, 2006 9:50 am

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome