K1600lt??? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Nov 10th, 2010, 7:36 am Thread Starter

K1600lt???

Hello all. I haven`t been here since 2007 when I regretfully traded my beloved LT for an HD Road Glide. Nice bike but definitely no LT. My wife rides an HD and persuaded me over to the darkside where I`ve discovered I really don`t want to be. Before I hop back on a K1200LT I was wondering what the buzz was with the advent of the new 1600 engine and the posibility of the LT being re-introduced with this new 6 cylinder gem as the power plant.

Last edited by BeamerT; Nov 10th, 2010 at 7:42 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Nov 10th, 2010, 8:10 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: K1600lt???

See the forum...please......

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=146

James Brown
Seabrook, Texas

2016 K1600 GTL
1979 Suzuki GS550E (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 Old Nov 10th, 2010, 8:45 am

the K1600 Sure is a pretty Bike....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 K1200LT

BWMMOA #143899
Dennis Eckenrode
Menifee Ca.

post #4 of 20 Old Nov 10th, 2010, 10:59 am

The top trunk is UGLEEEEEEE! Aesthetics aren't as nice as the LT more like a Honda , Yamaha, or Kawasaki. Nice but not as much attention paid to integrating the luggage.

You know it will be wicked quick and wicked fast!!!

Don't feel bad about getting drawn over to the darkside. Bling is pretty and love is blind! Nuff said.

Welcome back!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #5 of 20 Old Nov 10th, 2010, 2:19 pm Thread Starter

Thankyou. Now that I realize that the LT is no longer and has been replaced by the GTL(sorry, I`ve been away for a while) I can begin my search for another LT. Preferably an `07` or later that is black in color. From where I`m sitting the LT is more appealing from a touring standpoint than the GTL. At 6`2'' and 240 I think the LT is a better fit. At 28K for a GTL the LT`s are going to be real attractive at almost half the price. The 1200 engine with 116 hp has fantastic acceleration. 160 hp would be fun but maybe a little over the top. I think I`m gonna go back to who I brought to the dance. K1200LT it is!
post #6 of 20 Old Nov 10th, 2010, 4:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerT
Thankyou. Now that I realize that the LT is no longer and has been replaced by the GTL(sorry, I`ve been away for a while) I can begin my search for another LT. Preferably an `07` or later that is black in color. From where I`m sitting the LT is more appealing from a touring standpoint than the GTL. At 6`2'' and 240 I think the LT is a better fit. At 28K for a GTL the LT`s are going to be real attractive at almost half the price. The 1200 engine with 116 hp has fantastic acceleration. 160 hp would be fun but maybe a little over the top. I think I`m gonna go back to who I brought to the dance. K1200LT it is!
Bingo! We have a winner!
There are a lot of really great deals on K1200LTs out there. Low mileage bikes. GREAT BIKES! And a huge database of info on known problems, service info, fixes, and farkles right here on this site.
And, I'll betcha a final drive rebuild that the K1600GTL is a "place holder" for the next real Luxury Touring BMW. In a couple/few years after Honda has intro'd the new "Wing", BMW will intro the new LT based on the Slant6 motor. Then we will have the next "true" KLT.
Meanwhile, those who want the newest jazz, rubber wearing, git-up-n-go, sport tourer will sign up for the known upcoming K1600GT(L) offerings.

Last edited by CharlieVT; Nov 10th, 2010 at 4:16 pm.
post #7 of 20 Old Nov 10th, 2010, 4:36 pm

Quote:
My wife rides an HD and persuaded me over to the darkside
Women!

In all seriousness, did you go with the RG just for the frame-mounted fairing - over something like the Street Glide? I only ask because, and I mean no offense, I think that RG fairing is so ugly. Reminds me of a flying saucer in an old 70s movie.

I ride a Road King - and I love it. Having said that, I moved towards the darkside this year, with the purchase of a K12S.

I'll never get rid of my RK, but that S is a great bike. I rode it almost 4K miles to CCR this year and had a blast. I might even look at other BMW options if my feet could touch the ground.

In fact, I took the RK out today. It took some adjusting to ride that beast, after being on the S lately.

If I just had more money, time, and garage space, I like to dedicate my days to adjusting to various bikes........

Brad

2008 Harley Road King Classic
2005 BMW K1200S
1983 Honda CB Custom 1000
Gone, but not forgotten:
1995 Harley FatBoy
1972 Honda CB500 Four
1983 Suzuki DR250

CCRs - Breckenridge 04, Jackson Hole 05, Braselton 06, Osage Beach 07, Midway 08, Black Hills 09, Killington 10, Boise 11, Duluth 12, Bend 13, Chattanooga 14, Coeur d'Alene 15
post #8 of 20 Old Nov 10th, 2010, 7:39 pm Thread Starter

To each his own my good man. I happen to like the looks of the RG fairing. I didn`t care for the plastic cover over the dual headlights but that was popped off and the black insert was installed. With the installation of the lowers and the trunk it really gave it a sleek long look which I like. Didn`t like the Road King because I was sitting on top of the bike and the handling felt squirrely. The Street Glide along with the Ultra left me feeling cramped with the fairing being so close. After owning a Wing, LT and a Venture Royale the RG was a no brainer. Hands down the best riding bike in the Harley stable. The fork mounted fairing is a battle after a long day in the saddle especially on a windy day. The TC96 is as usual another under powered Harley engine requiring a lot of dollars to make it run. What I liked about the LT was the package was already complete upon purchase. I`m sure once I climb back on I won`t look back. =:-{D>
post #9 of 20 Old Nov 10th, 2010, 8:11 pm

Quote:
Nice Black one here.... http://www.bmwlt.com/classifieds/sho...ct/2310/cat/14

D.Kinsey
Santa Fe, Tx.
15 R1200RT
13 Ducati Panigale Tricolore

12 Ducati Diavel Carbon(SOLD)
08 K1200LT (born 12/19/07)(SOLD)

09 Triumph Sprint ST...RED(SOLD)
00 K1200LT Custom Painted(SOLD)
post #10 of 20 Old Nov 10th, 2010, 9:36 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Kinsey
Make that a DAMN Nice Black one David.

Stevie Shreeve
post #11 of 20 Old Nov 10th, 2010, 10:20 pm

I love a shameless, opportunistic self plug! The wheels are gorgeous! Painted? If so, with what paint?

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Kinsey

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #12 of 20 Old Nov 10th, 2010, 10:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
I love a shameless, opportunistic self plug! The wheels are gorgeous! Painted? If so, with what paint?

Loren
If I remember correctly from a previous post...those are powder coated. And great looking,btw.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #13 of 20 Old Nov 11th, 2010, 6:10 am Thread Starter

It is gorgeous. Not sure about the large lights near the hand grips. They don`t really flow with the rest of the bike but I`ll bet they`re very functional and really light up the night. In `07` I was a 1st time owner of a BMW and 2 weeks past the 30 day warranty my dry clutch went out to the tune of $1,200.00. Then upon reading about things like weep holes, final drive failure, shift linkage problems etc. I became skeptical and traded for the Road Glide which has given me 65,000 trouble free miles. However it never has compared to the LT as a touring bike. Given the choice I would pick the LT over the Wing for a variety of reasons except being more mechanically sound. In this category from what I`ve gathered this may be the only area where the Wing may come out on top. You know those Hondas, you throw a key at`em and they run.
post #14 of 20 Old Nov 11th, 2010, 6:14 am

Quote:

Loren
No shame here They are painted,House of Kolor Kandy Brandywine. Thanks for the compliment Loren!

D.Kinsey
Santa Fe, Tx.
15 R1200RT

Last edited by D.Kinsey; Nov 11th, 2010 at 6:26 am.
post #15 of 20 Old Nov 11th, 2010, 7:41 am

Quote:
It is gorgeous. Not sure about the large lights near the hand grips. They don`t really flow with the rest of the bike but I`ll bet they`re very functional and really light up the night. In `07` I was a 1st time owner of a BMW and 2 weeks past the 30 day warranty my dry clutch went out to the tune of $1,200.00. Then upon reading about things like weep holes, final drive failure, shift linkage problems etc. I became skeptical and traded for the Road Glide which has given me 65,000 trouble free miles. However it never has compared to the LT as a touring bike. Given the choice I would pick the LT over the Wing for a variety of reasons except being more mechanically sound. In this category from what I`ve gathered this may be the only area where the Wing may come out on top. You know those Hondas, you throw a key at`em and they run.
Yeah, that's why I designed them to come off with one nut and one plug Just kinda limited to where you can put REAL aux. lighting on these bikes. One is a 100w wide driving and the other a 65w HID spot, together they pretty well light up the road in front of you.....a ways Don't let all the Negative caca you read about these bikes scare you, this is my second(trouble free) one and looking forward to the 3rd!

D.Kinsey
Santa Fe, Tx.
15 R1200RT

post #16 of 20 Old Nov 11th, 2010, 4:18 pm Thread Starter

<don`t let the negative caca scare you> Thanks. Encouraging words from an experienced LT owner was exactly what I was looking for. An `05` or `06` in very good condition with low miles and a decent price would suit my fancey just fine. I believe the `05` was the first year of the 116 hp engine compared to the 98 hp. Guess I`ll start there.
post #17 of 20 Old Nov 11th, 2010, 6:26 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
Bingo! We have a winner!
There are a lot of really great deals on K1200LTs out there. Low mileage bikes. GREAT BIKES! And a huge database of info on known problems, service info, fixes, and farkles right here on this site.
And, I'll betcha a final drive rebuild that the K1600GTL is a "place holder" for the next real Luxury Touring BMW. In a couple/few years after Honda has intro'd the new "Wing", BMW will intro the new LT based on the Slant6 motor. Then we will have the next "true" KLT.
Meanwhile, those who want the newest jazz, rubber wearing, git-up-n-go, sport tourer will sign up for the known upcoming K1600GT(L) offerings.
Well, Charlie, since you can now rebuild an FD in 5 minutes with one hand tied behind your back, this isn't a very serious wager! Ha, ha, ha.. Seriously, I hope you are correct, but I really doubt that you are. I think BMW is, as others on the 1600 forum have argued, bowing to the economics and making a platform from which they can make a few variants, but use mostly common parts. Given that the LT never really made a dent market share-wise as compared to the Wing, and even Wing's aren't selling at the moment, I really don't see BMW making a bike that has many unique parts for such a small market. I'd love to see it as I don't see the GTL having the passenger accomodations I will want in my next scoot, but I will be surprised if it happens.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #18 of 20 Old Mar 12th, 2011, 5:53 pm

BeamerT, if still interested I have a 2007 black K1200LT with 12,000 miles I'm thinking of selling. All factory and just had the 12,000 service done by Mortons BMW. Contact me at [email protected] if interested. Thanks Wil
post #19 of 20 Old Mar 14th, 2011, 12:30 pm

Quote:
The top trunk is UGLEEEEEEE! Aesthetics aren't as nice as the LT more like a Honda , Yamaha, or Kawasaki. Nice but not as much attention paid to integrating the luggage.

You know it will be wicked quick and wicked fast!!!

Don't feel bad about getting drawn over to the darkside. Bling is pretty and love is blind! Nuff said.

Welcome back!

Loren
Let me second that opinion. The K1600 GT/GTL is a replacement for the K1300 that is being discontinued and the good folks at BMW thought they could turn it into an LT by sticking a $300 trunk off of the back. Not that there aren't lot of nice features, but the GTL is not in a class by itself anymore
post #20 of 20 Old Mar 15th, 2011, 2:50 pm

There are still some new ones around as well. Morton's BMW still has two new black 2009s in stock. $19,995 and you get a new bike warranty, intercom and all the goodies. Fly up, ride back and make a trip of it. Oh and no gimmicks like adding freight and prep to the pricing. Good folks there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in