Motor Heat Mangagement On A 6 Cylinder - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Nov 6th, 2010, 7:36 am Thread Starter

Motor Heat Mangagement On A 6 Cylinder

Yo Gang,

While drooling over the lovely lines of the new GT/L, it occurred to me that BMW designers/engineers may have designed the body-work/faring to greatly eliminate the engine heat produced from such a large power-plant.

I currently ride (among others, including 3 BMW's) a Honda ST1300A. Although it is a great motorcycle, someone did not think of rider comfort as far as motor ventilation. When it is really warm, the engine heat will literally cook my left ankle. I always wear all the gear all the time, so my left foot and ankle are protected from too much heat (1st degree burns).

Of course we will have to patiently wait for test rides and evaluations, but it would appear that BMW designers have taken rider heat into consideration. As in some of their other designs, perhaps the engine heat is distributed at the bottom of the faring structure. If you notice the rather large cut-outs towards the bottom of the faring for the outside cylinders and the fact that the faring does not continue its lines all the way to the foot pegs.
Time will tell the final outcome, but it sure is fun to think about this motorcycle.

Thanks. Any thoughts?

Motorman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Nov 6th, 2010, 9:06 am

Re: Motor Heat Mangagement On A 6 Cylinder

I had a K1300GT as a loaner for 2 days and did some highway runs and city riding and felt zero heat from the engine. I suspect the K16 will be the same, but until we start reading riding reviews, we'll just have to wait.
post #3 of 12 Old Nov 6th, 2010, 9:44 am

My '06 GT and '10 Concours14 are both excellent at deflecting heat away from the rider(s). I don't see that this 1600 will be any different ... but only time will tell.

post #4 of 12 Old Nov 7th, 2010, 9:03 pm

Interestingly, I test rode earlier model Concours 14 (I am not sure if 08 or 09 model) and had heat on my legs :-) I wonder if it was fixed at model year 2010?
Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2
My '06 GT and '10 Concours14 are both excellent at deflecting heat away from the rider(s). I don't see that this 1600 will be any different ... but only time will tell.

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old Nov 7th, 2010, 9:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKas
Interestingly, I test rode earlier model Concours 14 (I am not sure if 08 or 09 model) and had heat on my legs :-) I wonder if it was fixed at model year 2010?
That is correct, it was fixed on the 2010 model. The redesigned body work not only looks cooler ... it IS cooler.
post #6 of 12 Old Nov 7th, 2010, 10:14 pm

I bought a 2003 FJR when they were first available and man that was a rather warm one too. Two years later I traded it for the 2005 FJR and it was better but, not perfect. I sold the 05 and moved on but, from what I have read they have been toned down a lot through the use of materials that reflect heat placed under the gas tank and on the panels.

Hope the GTL has a much "cooler chassis"..........

06 Suzuki Burgman
07 Honda VTX 1800 Neo
07 Suzuki V Strom 1000
08 GoldWing
post #7 of 12 Old Nov 9th, 2010, 11:05 pm

With six linear pistons, the inner four are going to generate a lot of heat. I imagine they thought that through very carefully. I hope they get the plumbing right the first time out of the gate.

I am a little bit worried that both the European and US debuts were dry runs, no riding. I guess we will have to just wait and see.

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #8 of 12 Old Nov 10th, 2010, 5:52 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBil
With six linear pistons, the inner four are going to generate a lot of heat. I imagine they thought that through very carefully. I hope they get the plumbing right the first time out of the gate.

I am a little bit worried that both the European and US debuts were dry runs, no riding. I guess we will have to just wait and see.
Well i would say there is plenty of riding already done over seas. I just typed in K1600GTL in youtube & got all THIS . Looks like 6 pages to look at.

Stevie Shreeve
post #9 of 12 Old Nov 10th, 2010, 10:50 am

I don't think the CBX was water cooled was it? It did pretty well for it's day and made 100.0 n.p.

It pretty well confirms from these pages on you tube that the K12 is no longer the premier touring bike from BMW any longer?

Wish there was an anti lust button on here. Spring is so very far away.....

Flint

06 Suzuki Burgman
07 Honda VTX 1800 Neo
07 Suzuki V Strom 1000
08 GoldWing
post #10 of 12 Old Nov 10th, 2010, 12:07 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint
I don't think the CBX was water cooled was it?
The CBX is air cooled, but the engine is much more exposed so you did get good air flow.

I'm not worried about heat on the Slant/6. This is one area that BMW has down pat.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #11 of 12 Old Nov 10th, 2010, 4:38 pm
Cat Herder

I like the sound. Almost like a heavy silenced gas turbine.

Andreas Pleschutznig
'14 GSAW soon:

Still in search of Occam's razor to cut a Gordian knot.
post #12 of 12 Old Nov 11th, 2010, 7:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
I like the sound. Almost like a heavy silenced gas turbine.
Plus one on that score. Finally a BMW I can get real excited about exhaust note.

No matter where you go , there you are.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in