Options? We Don't Need No Stinkin' Options..... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Nov 4th, 2010, 9:37 pm Thread Starter

Options? We Don't Need No Stinkin' Options.....

Well, I'll start by saying the GT/L is one of the most exciting motors to come out since the K1200S. I'll take a GT please. Just because I don't need all the extras on the L. I'm a solo rider and like it that way. That being said. What options will you opt out of? In other words, what will you not add to the option list???

If the initial literature(OTL article) is correct, the base GT will include:
heated grips and seat
cruise control
ABS
On-Board Computer

The only option I would add would be ESA (it makes sense on this motor) and nothing else.

What can you live without????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Nov 4th, 2010, 11:46 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Re: Options? We Don't Need No Stinkin' Options.....

The L in GTL stands for Loaded, which is how I'll take mine, please. I want all the acronyms in there.

Seriously, my GT came with every option and I use them all on almost every ride. The only thing that I could easily do without is probably the factory alarm.

Mind you, the trunk will get replaced with a fuel cell for most of my riding, but being able to pop the trunk back on for two-up rides is a worthwhile feature.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 18 Old Nov 5th, 2010, 12:13 am

al my bmw's were fully loaded and yes i used all the options and they were fine. one exception, the esa on 2010 rt still not working as it should. had a friend with a 2008 rt that traded it back also due to unsolvable esa problem. don't know what the problem is on rt, fact is that mine is increasing ground clearance while braking, managed to put it down from stand still after braking on a right inclined road, could not reach ground with right leg. i was in the french alps loaded with passanger. pretty nasty. actually on my right were a coulpe of old folks on bicycles, managed to put down the lady, my passanger fall over her. nothing like that happened on the two k1200gt previously owned (2006 &2008), also tested the new gsa, all good. all those bikes only make the suspension stiffer while bracking not going high 3-5 cm or so. so i will change esa for ohlins at any time.

2010 RT
2009 X6
2010 X1
2010 Yamaha X-Max 250 (yes i ride that too)

post #4 of 18 Old Nov 5th, 2010, 5:57 am

I'd also get the dynamic traction control (DTC) and tire pressure monitors, which I'm sure will be part of a safety package with the adaptive headlight.

I also like the GPS integration, it's so well done, you can control it from the switchgear, i'd definitely go for that.. this is a standard feature on the GTL. I like being able to plug in my ipod and listen to music in my helmet via bluetooth.
post #5 of 18 Old Nov 5th, 2010, 7:59 am

I have no interest in any sort of "sound system" on a motorcycle, and I have no use for the new lighting system as I seldom ride at night, and would be worth very little money to me to want it.

Jim
--------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2017 KTM Superduke GT
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
post #6 of 18 Old Nov 5th, 2010, 10:02 am

Loaded! With the exception of the aftermarket pipes. I like stealth mode. Noise doesn't impress me.
post #7 of 18 Old Nov 5th, 2010, 10:21 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2
I like stealth mode. Noise doesn't impress me.
Agreed, but I'd still like to hear the Akropovic cans. If the noise stays slight but you lose a bunch of weight over stock, then I might consider it.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 18 Old Nov 5th, 2010, 3:38 pm

If you're buying Akrapovic cans from BMW, you're not going to get loud cans, the sound will be throatier and deeper, but not obnoxiously loud, or even what I'd consider loud. I have an Akra can on my GS and it's got a different sound than the stock can, but I wouldn't say it's noticeably louder.

I'm sure a pair of Akra cans for the K16 will run at least $2000. But I have no doubt Akrapovic will also sell them with their red and yellow decal on them for less. My riding buddy has just such a can on his GS and other than brand name cosmetics, the cans are identical in sound and specs.
post #9 of 18 Old Nov 5th, 2010, 5:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffy
If you're buying Akrapovic cans from BMW, you're not going to get loud cans, the sound will be throatier and deeper...
Even still, I don't want to hear some lower drowning tone for hours on end while I'm riding all day. I just don't get it. I can understand somebody wanting to make their bike or car sound cool if it's more of a show piece. But something I'm going to ride (a LOT)? Naw. Heck ... I thought the LT's "K-Whine" got old when super-slabbing at 75mph. I sure don't miss that with my GT or C14.
post #10 of 18 Old Nov 6th, 2010, 4:22 pm

Quote:
Even still, I don't want to hear some lower drowning tone for hours on end while I'm riding all day. I just don't get it. I can understand somebody wanting to make their bike or car sound cool if it's more of a show piece. But something I'm going to ride (a LOT)? Naw. Heck ... I thought the LT's "K-Whine" got old when super-slabbing at 75mph. I sure don't miss that with my GT or C14.

According to David Robb, the GT's stock exhaust is more throaty than the GTL.

Aesthetics is my only consideration when replacing stock pipes, I will be doing a fair bit of riding without the panniers and these cans look massive, the Akras look more eye pleasing.

post #11 of 18 Old Nov 6th, 2010, 5:45 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Aesthetics is my only consideration when replacing stock pipes
That's funny, aesthetics is my last concern. That goes equal for me looking at the bike, or the pipes rumbling loudly "look at ME!"

I'm more interested in how much less they will weigh. But if they're too loud then it ain't worth it. Function over Form for me.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #12 of 18 Old Nov 7th, 2010, 11:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
That's funny, aesthetics is my last concern. That goes equal for me looking at the bike, or the pipes rumbling loudly "look at ME!"

I'm more interested in how much less they will weigh. But if they're too loud then it ain't worth it. Function over Form for me.
....I want it all! Weight savings, performance gains, nice sounding, and a nice looking can. (ya, that usually means $$$)

Scott

In the garage:
'12 K1600 GTL (took delivery 5/25)
'12 Ducati Monster EVO 1100
'08 Big Dog Pitbull
'79 Honda CX 500 Deluxe (restored)

Past:
'09 BMW R1200R
'09 BMW K1200 LT
'08 Victory Vision
'06 Yamaha FJR1300
'03 BMW K1200 LT
'02 Gold Wing 1800
'98 Yamaha Roadstar
'96 GoldWing 1500
'79 Honda CX500
'77 GoldWing 1000

post #13 of 18 Old Nov 7th, 2010, 4:15 pm

Quote:
According to David Robb, the GT's stock exhaust is more throaty than the GTL.

Aesthetics is my only consideration when replacing stock pipes, I will be doing a fair bit of riding without the panniers and these cans look massive, the Akras look more eye pleasing.

Well, I see one thing that may be an issue. I can't use my Pit Bull stand to get the rear of the ground for tire changes and such without removing an exhaust can. The other side will probably have to be removed to get the wheel off as well. Maybe there's a junction just out of sight to easily remove both.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #14 of 18 Old Nov 7th, 2010, 4:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
Well, I see one thing that may be an issue. I can't use my Pit Bull stand to get the rear of the ground for tire changes and such without removing an exhaust can. The other side will probably have to be removed to get the wheel off as well. Maybe there's a junction just out of sight to easily remove both.
The right side muffler needs to be removed in order to remove the wheel, just like on the RT. It's a 3 minute job.

I'm not sure why you'd want to use a pit bull stand on the rear when the bike is equipped with a center stand.
post #15 of 18 Old Nov 7th, 2010, 5:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBreeze
....I want it all! Weight savings, performance gains, nice sounding, and a nice looking can. (ya, that usually means $$$)
You actually buy the "performance gains" claims by the aftermarket pipe manufacturers??? I got some land for sale, give me a call.

The only pipes that add any appreciable performance gains are racing pipes. And I hope to God nobody is fitting their GTL with a set of those.
post #16 of 18 Old Nov 7th, 2010, 7:14 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
You actually buy the "performance gains" claims by the aftermarket pipe manufacturers??? I got some land for sale, give me a call.

The only pipes that add any appreciable performance gains are racing pipes. And I hope to God nobody is fitting their GTL with a set of those.
I was thinking just cut all 6 pipes just after they turn under the engine. Will it sound like 3 Harleys ?

Stevie Shreeve
post #17 of 18 Old Nov 7th, 2010, 7:35 pm

Quote:
The right side muffler needs to be removed in order to remove the wheel, just like on the RT. It's a 3 minute job.

I'm not sure why you'd want to use a pit bull stand on the rear when the bike is equipped with a center stand.
Because at best putting the bike on a centerstand will get one wheel in the air, and not in a very stable way. And is doesn't protect against the bike being pushed off balance towards the end where the wheel is off, possibly falling over and damaging the bike. And if you want to get both wheels off you need some way to have the bike in the air on both ends and supported in a very stable fashion. A centerstand is not that solution. I have a set of Pit Bull stands I used on my GT and my Ducati for this and other service needs, and they will work with my RT as well.

As for the muffler, agreed, not a big deal. On the single muffler bikes (GT and RT) the pipe is on the side with the lug nuts so you can get the bike up on the stand without removing a pipe. Just an observation.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #18 of 18 Old Nov 7th, 2010, 7:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
I was thinking just cut all 6 pipes just after they turn under the engine. Will it sound like 3 Harleys ?
I ran my GT at the shop one time with the muffler off. A 3 inch open hole sticking out from under the bike. I can tell you it sounded NOTHING like a Harley, or any number of them together. The consensus of everyone standing around (once we could hear again ) was it was more like a Formula 1 sound. It was very cool. I wanted to go drive it around like that but they wouldn't let me.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in