A Couple Of Things.....Weak(Narrow) Headlight? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Nov 4th, 2010, 9:06 pm Thread Starter

A Couple Of Things.....Weak(Narrow) Headlight?

Howdy All. New Member.

These are just my observations. While watching the riding videos of the GT/L I noticed that the trick new headlight (on what appears to be on low beam) does not appear to be very bright. Although the light is a Xenon halogen(?) it appears to be a very narrow pencil beam.
Now the high beam appears to be the two bulbs and that may be very bright (no real practical photos or videos of its usage).
I hope this is wrong since I am one of those that would like one of these puppies and will just run it with the high beams during the day.
Although the Adaptive Headlight option appears to be a neat feature, I don't ride enough at night to justify the $$$$. And it is just something more to go wrong.
I did post this observation on another k bike forum and was promptly shut down by the site manager (you know who) and told I was wrong, etc. Like I mentioned, it is just an observation from BMW's own videos. We really won't know until the GT/L are in use on the street. Can't wait. Will just add caliper mounted LED's anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Nov 4th, 2010, 9:20 pm

Re: A Couple Of Things.....Weak(Narrow) Headlight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorman2061

Although the light is a Xenon halogen(?) it appears to be a very narrow pencil beam.
Now the high beam appears to be the two bulbs and that may be very bright (no real practical photos or videos of its usage).

Although the Adaptive Headlight option appears to be a neat feature, I don't ride enough at night to justify the $$$$. And it is just something more to go wrong.
The main light is a Xenon bulb. The bulb is filled with Xenon gas and a high voltage is used to arc across two contacts, this causes the gas inside to glow brightly. Most Xenon bulbs I have seen are more than adequate, and I believe are regulated for DOT. The high beems are the halogen bulbs and as such I can only assume that there will be after market bulbs available if one chooses.

As far as the price, I do not think it has been advertised yet.

Yes, it is one more thing that can go wrong but, I think thats the price to pay for having such an awsome bike. I know when I get mine, I do not want to kick myself years later for not getting most of the options.
post #3 of 22 Old Nov 5th, 2010, 4:31 am

As you state, you're basing this observation on a video and that's the whole problem.

Here's a crazy idea; how about waiting till you can actually look at the headlight in the real world before worrying about how effective (or ineffective) it is?

That said, I agree regarding the adaptive headlamp. I rarely ride at night anymore, so this one option I would probably pass on.

Steve
NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired 4-1-1991)
2011 F800GS - Alpine White
2009 R1200RT - sapphire black metallic (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 Old Nov 5th, 2010, 5:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTrooper
Here's a crazy idea; how about waiting till you can actually look at the headlight in the real world before worrying about how effective (or ineffective) it is?
You're kidding right? This entire subforum exists on a bike that is not available for riding yet.

Should we close it down until the bike comes out? Or is it only (presumed) negative comments that are not allowed?

Just askin'.

'06 K1200LT Ocean Blue Metallic
'06 GL1800 Candy Black Cherry
Recovering Harley Rider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

42 41.663' N / 73 38.651' W

post #5 of 22 Old Nov 5th, 2010, 5:22 am

Welcome to the forum.

I think we're all agreed that we're going to have to wait for the real thing to get the answers to our numerous questions. BMW are short on detail. But guessing and arguing is giving us something to do in the meantime!

One thing I'd personally take issue with is your comment: ...'and will just run it with the high beams during the day'. Even though I'm a biker one thing that does annoy me is being blinded by oncoming bikes with mis-aimed lights or high beams on. Bikers get enough bad press without adopting habits that will piss off other drivers.

Kevin.
post #6 of 22 Old Nov 5th, 2010, 5:53 am

Ever looked at a xenon headlight on the K13GT during the day? It's barely visible unless you're in the right angle, directly ahead.. I'd run the high beams during the day, since all cars around here have daytime running lights.
post #7 of 22 Old Nov 5th, 2010, 7:05 am Thread Starter

Quote:
As you state, you're basing this observation on a video and that's the whole problem.

That said, I agree regarding the adaptive headlamp. I rarely ride at night anymore, so this one option I would probably pass on.
Hi Troop,
You are right, and as I mentioned in my post, we will have to wait to see how the light looks in real time. It was just an observation, just something for discussion. It may be as bright as a spotlight on a squad car (and I hope it is). BMW is not giving us prices or accessories to talk about so why not?
BTW, thank for your service. Ride Safe and Often.
Motorman
post #8 of 22 Old Nov 5th, 2010, 7:16 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by highroamer
Welcome to the forum.

I think we're all agreed that we're going to have to wait for the real thing to get the answers to our numerous questions. BMW are short on detail. But guessing and arguing is giving us something to do in the meantime!

One thing I'd personally take issue with is your comment: ...'and will just run it with the high beams during the day'. Even though I'm a biker one thing that does annoy me is being blinded by oncoming bikes with mis-aimed lights or high beams on. Bikers get enough bad press without adopting habits that will piss off other drivers.

Kevin.
Hi Kevin,
As far as high beams during daytime running, I usually run with my high beam on during bright sunny days. I have found that of the motors that I have owned, all of them have inadequate low beam(s) for daytime running in bright sunlight. That said, if light conditions are different, ie., darker, overcast, etc., I adjust to the low beam. However, I have never been flashed using my high beams on a bright sunny day. IMO, most stock headlight beams on motorcycles do not provide enough daytime lighting. As a result, I always add caliper mounted lights and try to upgrade the bulbs in the headlight. This combination has saved me many times.
Now my work motor was a different story. It was and still is a HD Electra Glide and while experimenting with running the high beam, I found that the high beam had a tendency to wash out the "red and blues".
Hopes this clarifies.
Motorman
post #9 of 22 Old Nov 5th, 2010, 7:34 am

Fluffy, daytime running lights are not high beams. All recent bikes have the low beam hard wired in to come on with the ignition, which in effect gives daytime running lights. But you do what you gotta do!

Kevin.
post #10 of 22 Old Nov 5th, 2010, 7:43 am

Motorman, I agree with the extra running lights, caliper mounted or elsewhere. I've seen videos of some of these products which do a good job of drawing attention without blinding oncoming traffic. Some good reviews on Webbikeworld. As to driving all the time on high beam - just sayin'!

Kevin.
post #11 of 22 Old Nov 5th, 2010, 10:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibleman
Or is it only (presumed) negative comments that are not allowed?
The issue I see with a lot of the negative comments is that they are based solely on speculation ... whereas the positive comments are based on observation.
post #12 of 22 Old Nov 5th, 2010, 2:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibleman
You're kidding right? This entire subforum exists on a bike that is not available for riding yet.

Should we close it down until the bike comes out? Or is it only (presumed) negative comments that are not allowed?

Just askin'.
I'm glad you asked. We can discuss the facts and figures of the bike because they are in black and white in the spec sheet. However, trying to guess how effective or ineffective the new headlamp that no one has actually seen in action yet is pure speculation.

So, in answer to your question, no, I wasn't kidding.

Steve

post #13 of 22 Old Nov 5th, 2010, 2:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorman2061
Hi Troop,
You are right, and as I mentioned in my post, we will have to wait to see how the light looks in real time. It was just an observation, just something for discussion. It may be as bright as a spotlight on a squad car (and I hope it is). BMW is not giving us prices or accessories to talk about so why not?
BTW, thank for your service. Ride Safe and Often.
Motorman
Hi, Motorman.

Well, we can only hope that the new xenon headlamp is at least as effective as the other xenon lights out there. The experiences I've had with xenon headlamps have been all positive.

Stay safe, partner.

Steve

post #14 of 22 Old Nov 5th, 2010, 8:15 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2
The issue I see with a lot of the negative comments is that they are based solely on speculation
And also based on "I really really want one but don't think I can afford it, so I'm gonna look for any little negative I can find in the hope that my comfy old LT looks just a little bit better . . ."

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #15 of 22 Old Nov 5th, 2010, 8:18 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Well, we can only hope that the new xenon headlamp is at least as effective as the other xenon lights out there.
The stock lighting on the LT sucks. Always has.

The stock Xenon lighting on my GT rocks.

This is one area that BMW figured out, and fixed.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #16 of 22 Old Nov 5th, 2010, 10:46 pm

The low beam on my 09 LT is OK at night and totaly blends in with traffic in the day.
I ride with Highs on durring the day for safety. Time will tell how effective the Adaptive Headlight is. It is a good idea and I hope that it self levels like the lights on my Lexus RX450h.
post #17 of 22 Old Nov 6th, 2010, 7:13 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese

That's great. Let's hope that it is even better on the new GT/L.
post #18 of 22 Old Nov 6th, 2010, 9:13 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

Really? My 07 came with a Xenon light and it works pretty well. The high beam is a little weak, but the low-beam works fine. After adding PIAAs, I have plenty of light.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #19 of 22 Old Nov 6th, 2010, 12:53 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
My 07 came with a Xenon light and it works pretty well.
They improved the stock headlight on the '05 LTs by moving the high beam to a separate lens under the low beam, and later they added the Xenon low beam option. Both improvements are markedly better than the pathetic factory headlight on the '99-'04 LTs, but neither can compare to the factory Xenon headlight in my GT.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #20 of 22 Old Nov 6th, 2010, 1:07 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
And also based on "I really really want one but don't think I can afford it, so I'm gonna look for any little negative I can find in the hope that my comfy old LT looks just a little bit better . . ."
You still have that mauve thing?

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #21 of 22 Old Nov 6th, 2010, 3:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
You still have that mauve thing?
Ken still owns all of his previous bikes. Who would want them after he's done with them?
post #22 of 22 Old Nov 6th, 2010, 5:47 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2
Ken still owns all of his previous bikes. Who would want them after he's done with them?
You ain't far off there, Joe . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in