BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Top Case LED Brake Light

12K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  Voyager 
#1 ·
This is cool -

Additional brake light for touring topcase
• More safety with additional brake light for enhanced visibility.
• LED technology for optimum visibility, maintenance-free and wear-free.
• White clear-glass look.
• Suitable for standard topcase for K 1600 GTL and accessory topcase for K 1600 GT.
• Simple, fast installation (by authorised BMW Motorrad dealer) because each topcase has a
wiring harness preinstalled as standard. Integration into the existing topcase lid embellisher.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Yeah, it's a good thing. :)

The GT's tail light is tucked down pretty deep and low with a top case on, so it gets pretty hard for the brain-dead cagers to see . . .

#5 ·
Ted Shred said:
This is cool -

• Suitable for standard topcase for K 1600 GTL and accessory topcase for K 1600 GT.
• Simple, fast installation (by authorised BMW Motorrad dealer) because each topcase has a
wiring harness preinstalled as standard. Integration into the existing topcase lid embellisher.
Even cooler is an LED light that is integral with a trunk rack to provide more storage space. Hmm... seems like my "old" LT already has this cool feature. :p

#7 ·
fluffy said:
then they'd need gas shocks the size of my arm to keep the lid open :)
Nah, with the bag on top, but LT stays easily open by itself. You have to be careful not to let the full weight on the tether though!

#8 ·
fluffy said:
then they'd need gas shocks the size of my arm to keep the lid open :)
No, they just took two smaller ones ;)

#9 ·
Voyager said:
Even cooler is an LED light that is integral with a trunk rack to provide more storage space. Hmm... seems like my "old" LT already has this cool feature. :p
And how fast can you take that topbox off of your LT? That's what I thought. ;) Oh, and the box has to be empty in order to remove it. :p

#10 ·
Topbox inside....

Attachments

#13 ·
RoadSurfer said:
More specifically, how easy will it be to take the top box off and then later put it back on once that wiring has been installed?
I read that the wiring is integrated into the saddlebag mounts, which means no plugs to deal with at all. :)

#14 ·
meese said:
What? No makeup light and mirror? This just can't be a Luxury Touring bike at all . . . :rolleyes:
No mirror. Light (LED) is there (at the inside where the BMW roundel is); you can barely see it.

#15 ·
...the wiring is integrated into the saddlebag mounts, which means no plugs to deal with at all.
Meaning that the wired top box can be removed and put back on without having to do any separate disconnection or reconnection of the wiring? By simply attaching the box to the mounting frame, the connection is made?

#16 ·
RoadSurfer said:
Meaning that the wired top box can be removed and put back on without having to do any separate disconnection or reconnection of the wiring? By simply attaching the box to the mounting frame, the connection is made?
Yes, that's what I understand, although obviously I haven't actually seen one yet, either. :)

#17 · (Edited)
Excellent!
Where did the top rack go? Where am I supposed to put my road bicycle? See enclosed
:)

Ted Shred said:
This is cool -

Attachments

#20 ·
tobiwan said:
meese said:
I read that the wiring is integrated into the saddlebag mounts, which means no plugs to deal with at all. :)

here is photo
I don't see any integrated wiring in that picture. :)

You still need some sort of connection if there are lights in the trunk. The connectors may be integrated with the mount so that the connections are made automatically, but you still need electrical connections unless BMW has found a way to transfer enough power wirelessly to run the trunk lights.

#21 ·
Voyager said:
tobiwan said:
I don't see any integrated wiring in that picture. :)

You still need some sort of connection if there are lights in the trunk. The connectors may be integrated with the mount so that the connections are made automatically, but you still need electrical connections unless BMW has found a way to transfer enough power wirelessly to run the trunk lights.

What's complicated about having an automatic coupling for the light and don't forget the central locking for the panniers and top case?

My Givi top case with its built in brake light has an automatic coupling module the transfers power to the brake lights when mounted and disconnects when removed. Think of the GPS contacts on the base.. same idea..

#22 ·
fluffy said:
Voyager said:
What's complicated about having an automatic coupling for the light and don't forget the central locking for the panniers and top case?

My Givi top case with its built in brake light has an automatic coupling module the transfers power to the brake lights when mounted and disconnects when removed. Think of the GPS contacts on the base.. same idea..
Nothing that complicated, then again final drives aren't that complicated either...

I am curious to see how BMW executed this automatic connection so I can get an idea as to how well designed it is so as to be reliable and not get full of crap when the case is removed. For example, does it have an automatic dirt/moisture cover for when the case is removed?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.