29 inch inseam - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Nov 2nd, 2010, 5:54 am Thread Starter

29 inch inseam

When I saw this bike debut the one thing that really intrigued me was the shorter seat. I own an RT which I love but have dropped from standing more than once on slick and uneven sufaces because I cant flat foot when straddling the bike.
Are any other 2011 BMW's going to have the lower seat without giving up the suspension features like the RT offers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Nov 2nd, 2010, 7:16 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: 29 inch inseam

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgarraty
When I saw this bike debut the one thing that really intrigued me was the shorter seat. I own an RT which I love but have dropped from standing more than once on slick and uneven sufaces because I cant flat foot when straddling the bike.
Are any other 2011 BMW's going to have the lower seat without giving up the suspension features like the RT offers
There is a LOW seat option for the RT but the trade off is less padding / harder seat.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 10 Old Nov 2nd, 2010, 12:52 pm

BMW's website lists the different seats for the RT. You can get a 30.7" adjustable seat or even a 30.1" one-piece seat; only half an inch higher than the GTL's seat, but the RT is 200 lbs lighter.

However those seats are probably not comfortable, whereas the GT/GTL are designed to support very low but still comfortable seats. But it's something to keep in mind.

post #4 of 10 Old Nov 2nd, 2010, 4:07 pm

The GT and GTL seats are available in a lowered version.

The RT itself is available in a lowered suspension version. A local riding buddy has one, he's about 5'6" and is able to flat foot it.

standard GT seat vs. low GT seat

low GTL seat

post #5 of 10 Old Nov 14th, 2010, 8:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffy
The GT and GTL seats are available in a lowered version.

The RT itself is available in a lowered suspension version. A local riding buddy has one, he's about 5'6" and is able to flat foot it.

standard GT seat vs. low GT seat

low GTL seat

The GTL seat is a single seat for rider/passenger, I see no way for Bakup to make a rider back rest which kind of sucks since I need a back rest.

2015 R1200Rt- Ebony
2005 K1200Lt- Dark Graphite
1978 KZ1000 Ltd- Black
St Clair Shores, Mi
BMWMOA # 185482

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 Old Nov 14th, 2010, 11:02 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEBS
The GTL seat is a single seat for rider/passenger, I see no way for Bakup to make a rider back rest which kind of sucks since I need a back rest.
It depends on what's underneath the seat in that area. I've seen 'Wing backrests that bolt on under the seat and use an external tube that runs up along the outside edge of the seat to mount the backrest portion.

Or you could just get the GT seat and put it on your GTL. I may end up doing that so I can remove the back half and mount my aux fuel cell.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 10 Old Nov 15th, 2010, 3:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEBS
I will send mine to Russell Day Long and they will incorporate their removable backrest into the front of the passenger portion of the seat.
post #8 of 10 Old Nov 17th, 2010, 10:50 pm

Has anyone seen specs on the exact height of the GTL seat vs, that of the higher GT seat when set at the highest position? I wonder whether the difference is so great that it would negate the allegedly more open knee angle afforded by the GTL's lower and more forward footpegs. That is, if the GTL seat puts you down as low as the photos seem to indicate, in comparison to the GT, isn't that just inherently going to require a tighter knee bend than would be the case if you were sitting a couple of inches higher?

Dave -- 2008 K1200GT Aventurin -- BMWMOA # 40277
post #9 of 10 Old Nov 18th, 2010, 12:28 am
IBR# 366

Garage

BMW K 1600 GT
31.89/32.68" (810/830mm) standard
30.71/31.50" (780/800mm) option rider seat incl. pillion passenger seat
30.71" (780mm) special accessory seat, single-section
29.53" (750mm) special accessory seat, single-section

BMW K 1600 GTL
29.53" (750mm) standard
30.71" (780mm) option seat, single-section
30.71/31.50" (780/800mm) special accessory rider seat incl. pillion passenger seat
31.89/32.68" (810/830mm) special accessory rider seat incl. pillion passenger seat

So the difference between the Standard GT seat and the Standard GTL seat is 2.36" (60mm) with the GT seat in the Low position, or 3.15" (80mm) in the High position.

I don't know exactly how far down & forward the footrests are on the GTL versus the GT. But BMW does list pretty much every change (including seats, footrests, trunk, radio prep, etc.) as options. So theoretically you could put the highest seat on a GTL, or put the lower footrests on a GT.

Good luck getting that through special order on the first batch of bikes, when demand is still high and availability still limited.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 10 Old Nov 18th, 2010, 7:51 am

Very helpful, as always, Ken. Many thanks.

It seems highly unlikely that the GTL footrests will be three inches lower than those on the GT. And if they are, then use of the much lower GTL seat would seem to cancel the ergonomic benefits in terms of knee bend angle. Therefore my initial assumption that I should opt for the GTL rather than the GT in order to maximize my knee bend angle seems unfounded.

Of course there's also the factor of the GTL's pegs being some distance further forward than those on the GT.... And there's also the upper body ergonomic effect of the different design (or positioning?) of the GTL's handlebars to consider as part of the package, I suppose. (I notice lately that my hip joints don't seem to appreciate the ergos of the K1200GT much either; I'm getting protests from them now as well as the knees. Like they say, aging ain't for sissies.)

Just have to wait till we can put our bodies on board the real things obviously.

Dave -- 2008 K1200GT Aventurin -- BMWMOA # 40277

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in