Motorcycle ergonomics online! K16GT and GTL listed - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old Oct 27th, 2010, 5:40 am Thread Starter

Motorcycle ergonomics online! K16GT and GTL listed

http://pixplot.com/ergo/

Scroll down and select the K1600GT or GTL and adjust it to your size and see how it will fit you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old Oct 27th, 2010, 6:41 am

Re: Motorcycle ergonomics online! K16GT and GTL listed

IS THERE AN ECHO IN HERE?

Just thought the author of that site should get a little love. BMWLT.com member, "CGameProgrammer" wrote that utility. Cool stuff. Good job Ed.
post #3 of 30 Old Oct 27th, 2010, 11:46 am Thread Starter

I didn't see that one.. or maybe I did...: it should be in its own thread now that the K16 have been added.

post #4 of 30 Old Oct 27th, 2010, 2:47 pm

I am 6'4". It looks like even the GT will have very comfy ergos for even us big guys.
post #5 of 30 Old Oct 27th, 2010, 3:57 pm

In comparing the ergo's of the K1200LT and the GTL, it looks like your legs are swept back farther on the GTL... Not a good thing as I would rather have my feet be a bit more forward on the standard pegs. Just looks a bit cramped... but then this is an applet... Let's get the real thing within touchy-feely range and see what she feels like.

my $.02... and nice job on the applet...

just sayin'....

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 30 Old Oct 27th, 2010, 3:58 pm

The VERY first mod I'm gonna' make will be some ape hangers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ape Hangers.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	29350  

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #7 of 30 Old Oct 27th, 2010, 6:44 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

If you're gonna be sitting that straight-backed, Ron, you're gonna need a pretty damn comfortable seat.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 30 Old Oct 27th, 2010, 7:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
If you're gonna be sitting that straight-backed, Ron, you're gonna need a pretty damn comfortable seat.
A lot of guys swear by the Mayer brothers, Rick or Bill. Just a friendly suggestion. Hope this helps.
post #9 of 30 Old Oct 27th, 2010, 11:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2
A lot of guys swear by the Mayer brothers, Rick or Bill. Just a friendly suggestion. Hope this helps.
Think I'll give 'em a call, thanks!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #10 of 30 Old Oct 28th, 2010, 6:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
I have never owned a BMW without going into the aftermarket for a seat. I have owned Rick, Bill, and Russell seats. I am sure that will be my first farkle when I drag one of these 1600GT's home.
post #11 of 30 Old Oct 29th, 2010, 6:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronk1200lt
I have never owned a BMW without going into the aftermarket for a seat. I have owned Rick, Bill, and Russell seats. I am sure that will be my first farkle when I drag one of these 1600GT's home.
No doubt. I have Russell on my speed dial list.

Steve
NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired 4-1-1991)
2011 F800GS - Alpine White
2009 R1200RT - sapphire black metallic (sold)

post #12 of 30 Old Oct 29th, 2010, 8:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronk1200lt
I am sure that will be my first farkle when I drag one of these 1600GT's home.
Better be careful ... that 1600 might be the one doing the dragging.
post #13 of 30 Old Oct 29th, 2010, 9:03 am
Lifetime Supporter

I'll have to wait until I se one in real life. BTW would be nice if program had both height and inseam. I want to know how tight my knees will be bent and if they'll be into the plastic. One reason I bought the LT over others was "leg room" for my 36" inseam.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #14 of 30 Old Oct 29th, 2010, 12:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBob
I'll have to wait until I se one in real life. BTW would be nice if program had both height and inseam. I want to know how tight my knees will be bent and if they'll be into the plastic. One reason I bought the LT over others was "leg room" for my 36" inseam.
Many people have asked for inseam so I'll add that in tonight. The sim can't really estimate how "into the plastic" your legs would be though because it doesn't model width. It's just useful for comparison purposes; you can compare knee angle on the LT to knee angle on whatever else to estimate how much better or worse the other bikes would be.
post #15 of 30 Old Oct 29th, 2010, 2:07 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
Many people have asked for inseam so I'll add that in tonight. The sim can't really estimate how "into the plastic" your legs would be though because it doesn't model width. It's just useful for comparison purposes; you can compare knee angle on the LT to knee angle on whatever else to estimate how much better or worse the other bikes would be.
Ed thanks for all the work on the Sim. Is there a way to show what you would look like with your feet on the ground also? I know the width of the bike will come into play but can you still do it?

Stevie Shreeve
post #16 of 30 Old Oct 29th, 2010, 5:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Ed thanks for all the work on the Sim. Is there a way to show what you would look like with your feet on the ground also? I know the width of the bike will come into play but can you still do it?
This is another thing many people have requested. I am 5'6 so I understand its relevance, but that would be impossible to do accurately. I do plan on attempting it anyway this weekend. The problem is ground reach is determined by not just seat height but also suspension compression, seat width, seat shape (dished seats like what many cruisers have or Russell seats compromise ground clearance), the thickness of your legs, the boots you're wearing, and even the pants you're wearing to an extent.

Still, I'll try to come up with something roughly effective enough for comparison purposes.
post #17 of 30 Old Oct 29th, 2010, 5:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Think I'll give 'em a call, thanks!
Too Funny!
post #18 of 30 Old Oct 30th, 2010, 12:11 pm

That is the handiest little link!! Thanks for sharing it!

2010 R1200 RT, Current Chariot
2007 Triumph Scrambler, Hoodlum
2005 H-D Road King, Trustworthy and fun
1980 R100 RT. Old friend of 22 years, all good
1971 BSA B50 SS, One lung funster
1970 BSA 650 Lightning, Alas, lost to a nasty crash
post #19 of 30 Old Nov 1st, 2010, 6:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOHICA
Too Funny!
Oh, wait a minute - my bad.

I thought it was 1975 - when seats were still made out of vinyl or leather.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #20 of 30 Old Nov 21st, 2010, 12:55 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

It looks like the Cycle Ergo site has been noticed by The Kneeslider, a popular motorcycle blog.

The article is here.

Nice job there, Ed.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #21 of 30 Old Feb 8th, 2011, 2:54 pm

The website's been modified so by default the images are centered on the rear wheel instead of the seat. This makes comparing motorcycles much easier because you'll no longer see the entire bike shift when switching between bikes with different seat heights.

So now you can compare the K1600GT with the K1600GTL and see much more easily the exact differences between them.
post #22 of 30 Old Mar 6th, 2011, 11:59 am

I'm obviously missing something in my interpretation of the knee bend angles quoted on the ergonomics site. Wouldn't a 100 degree angle of knee bend be more open (less cramped) than, say, a 96 degree angle? If so, how can the knee angle of the K1200GT be 100' and that of the K1600GTL be 96'? That is, how can my knee be less bent on my K1200GT than it is on the new GTL?

After having finally sat on the GTL yesterday, the GTL (and K1600GT as well) certainly feels more open in my knee bend than my K1200GT feels. And while I was at the dealership I used a tape measure to compare the distance between the pegs and the lowest point of the seat on the K1600GT and the K1300GT they have on the floor beside it. With both seats set at the lowest position, the distance between the seat and pegs of the K1600GT is a whole two inches longer than that of the K1300GT. That significant difference is certainly not going to make for a tighter knee bend on the 1600GT, which the site claims has a knee bend of 91' while it claims the 1300GT has one of 98.

Even the comparison between the K1600GT (91') and the GTL (96') seems counterintuitive.

How am I reading these figures incorrectly? How can 91' be less knee bend than 100'?

Dave -- 2008 K1200GT Aventurin -- BMWMOA # 40277
post #23 of 30 Old Mar 6th, 2011, 2:37 pm

Dave,

What were the actual seat to pedal distances on the K1600GT & K1600GTL? Just curious as I sat on both myself today for the first time and was amazed at how different they've made the 2 models feel.

Kevin.
post #24 of 30 Old Mar 6th, 2011, 2:57 pm

Knee bend is the opposite of knee angle, in that a value of 0 means your legs are perfectly straight. It's 180 - angle. Originally I reported the actual angle, then some people requested the opposite - I forget exactly but it might have been athritic people who knew the amount of bend they were supposed not to exceed. But I agree it is a bit confusing and a number of people have complained about it so I'll switch it back later today.

So the site is saying your knee angle with the 1600 is 89 degrees and your angle on the 1300GT is 82 degrees.
post #25 of 30 Old Mar 6th, 2011, 5:18 pm

I'm afraid I didn't take the measuring tape over to the GTL, Kevin. My "feel" for it, however, was that the GTL was, not surprisingly, slightly more "open" (requiring less knee bend) than the K1600GT. I was so taken by the contrast between my bike and the K1600GT, that any extra openness that the GTL might provide seemed to suddenly be of no consequence.

With the advance through my mid-60s, the knee bend that the K1200GT forces me into has become a problem over the three years of my ownership of the bike, so I was naturally interested when I read of the lower and more forward position of the GTL pegs. I hadn't anticipated that there'd be almost as much of a change in the set-up of the 1600GT, so now my interest has shifted to that bike rather than the GTL -- given that (a) almost all of my riding will be one-up and (b) I don't really want all of the bells and whistles of the GTL and (c) I also feel that its trunk is an eyesore and (d) I worry that the GTL trunk may, under certain wind conditons, influence the bike's handling just as badly as I found the large trunk to do to the handling of the K1200GT.

post #26 of 30 Old Mar 6th, 2011, 5:27 pm

Thanks Dave. What distance did you get for the GT? I'd like to compare to my LT.

Kevin.
post #27 of 30 Old Mar 6th, 2011, 8:38 pm

Mind you, this was far from a scientific exercise, Kevin. Still, it's hard to see what I could have done wrong, notwithstanding that the showroom was jam-packed with people and it was all a bit distracting.

(It just now occurs to me that one factor that may have thrown off the fairness of the measurement was the fact that the K1300GT was on its centerstand and the K1600GT was on its sidestand.... ??? Okay, no, I can't imagine how that would effect the distance between the pegs and the low point of the seat.)

The distance was 19 inches on the 1300GT and 21 inches on the on the 1600GT. I was told that both seats were set at the lowest point adjustment, but that too may be open to question.

I'm sure there must be more reliable sources of measurement than me and a borrowed carpenter's tape measure in the midst of a very busy showroom. Still, I do plan to take my own tape with me the next time I visit the dealership, once they have the 1600s on site permanently. (The models they had there yesterday were rotating through the Ontario dealerships and were probably back in the truck by this morning.)

post #28 of 30 Old Mar 7th, 2011, 2:18 am

Did you see my post yet? I already explained that the knee is indeed less bent on the K1600GT than it is on the K1300GT. The knee angle for you on the K1600GT is 89 degrees versus 82 degrees on the K1300GT.
post #29 of 30 Old Mar 7th, 2011, 9:43 am

Yes, I saw that, C. Thanks. (And that would now be in line with the different measurements I mentioned in my last post.) Seven degrees of separation is nothing for Kevin Bacon, or me, to sneeze at.

post #30 of 30 Old Mar 9th, 2011, 5:21 am

I put a tape on my LT this morning and got 18.5 inches. I have a Corbin seat which is pretty low and I have always noticed that I'm folded to an uncomfortable degree (I sometimes get a pain like my hip ball is going to pop out and I have to stop and straighten my leg, sometimes even get off and take a few steps to get rid of the spasm). It'll be a GT or a GTL with a high seat option for me if I change.

Kevin.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in