Tank Bag on GTL? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 9:42 am Thread Starter

Tank Bag on GTL?

It's not a deal breaker for me, but I'm worried that it appears there is no plan by BMW to provide a custom-made tankbag for the GTL (similar to that which I enjoy on my K1200GT). I see that the BMW website shows a smallish tankbank on the K1600GT, but reading between the lines of the promotional text for both models leads me to conclude that the design of the GTL (with bars pulled back further over what appears to already be a higher-humped gas tank than that of the K1200GT) may prohibit any kind of tankbag sitting there.

Anyone have any insights into this question?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 9:47 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Re: Tank Bag on GTL?

My guess is that we'll end up with a smaller, thinner tank bag closer to what's available for the LT than the massive one for the current GT. If not by BMW, then by the aftermarket.

Keep in mind that the GTL also has a couple of locking compartments built into the fairing which adds useful storage for small, readily-accesed items.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 17 Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 11:57 pm Thread Starter

Yes, it is primarily the map holder that I'm used to having, Ken (and yes, even with a GPS, I still like to have the bigger picture that is so much more readily provided by a good old fashoned paper road map). The extra glasses and gloves and such I can manage to just store in the fairing pocket(s), but I really need to have that map in front of me.

Now the question is whether the tanktop is metal or plastic. That distinction may be mentioned somewhere in the spec sheets, but I haven't noticed it yet. If needs be, I have a fairly large but very thin magnetic map holder that might do the trick.

post #4 of 17 Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 2:03 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadSurfer
Now the question is whether the tanktop is metal or plastic.
I'm guessing it's a painted plastic cover panel with the actual plastic gas tank hidden underneath, like on pretty much all BMW's these days.

But you can still do something with well-placed straps to hold a map case in place.

And I agree about the paper maps, too. Even when I had 3 gps units running on the bike, I liked to have that paper map visible for the "big picture" view.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 17 Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 2:36 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
I'm guessing it's a painted plastic cover panel with the actual plastic gas tank hidden underneath, like on pretty much all BMW's these days.

Plastic it is.

Erwin

R1200GS Adventure LC 2018, Blackstorm/Schieferdunkel Matt/Achatgrau (Triple Black), in full options, BMW Navigator V

R1200GSA LC '18 <- R1200GSA LC '14 <- K1600GTL '12 <- R1200GS Adventure '09 <- K1200GT '07 <- K1200LT '05 <- K1200LT '99 <- K1100LT '95 <- K75RT '92
post #6 of 17 Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 7:47 am

I was really hoping they used the tank bag rails that they use on the RT for this bike. The RT tank bag is simply brilliant. No straps, no glued zippers, not front hooks and straps. There are 2 plastic hooks at the back that mount to the tank bag rails, and at the front, there's a latch that clicks in.. easy on, easy off.. brilliant.. but maybe the rails are kind of ugly for some..

And then now BMW uses screwless fuel filler cap, so you can't use the horse shoe rings from SW motech or Marsee to mount a quick release tank bag.. bummer.. and I HATE tank bags with stupid straps here and straps there..

And while I'm on a ranting roll here, I would have hoped a bike this sophisticated with all the latest in cutting edge technology would have used the latest automotive keyless ignition technology so when you approach the bike, the ignition is enabled and you don't need to be inserting a key, with a key function available as a redundancy.. Heck, even Harley's with their alarm system are keyless now.. you just walk up to the bike with the alarm fob in your pocket and the you thumb the starter and off you go. The new Ducati Multistrada is also keyless and has PIN number you can enter through the switch gear should the battery in your key fob run down. BMW uses this keyless technology in some of their cars, why is it not used on their flagship model?
post #7 of 17 Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 9:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffy
... but maybe the rails are kind of ugly for some..
That's my only guess.

Quote:
And then now BMW uses screwless fuel filler cap, so you can't use the horse shoe rings from SW motech or Marsee to mount a quick release tank bag.. bummer.. and I HATE tank bags with stupid straps here and straps there..
I totally agree. My BigMak bag that I used on my GT, and now my Councours14 is a MUST HAVE item for me. I would hate to buy this GTL without a similar tankbag option.

Quote:
And while I'm on a ranting roll here, I would have hoped a bike this sophisticated with all the latest in cutting edge technology would have used the latest automotive keyless ignition technology ... [snip] ... BMW uses this keyless technology in some of their cars, why is it not used on their flagship model?
This is one of my favorite features on my '10 Concours14 as well. It's nice not having to find the key in one of those darn pockets on your riding gear. Now it's mount, start, and go.
post #8 of 17 Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 12:43 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Don't worry, the aftermarket will come up with several decent tank bag solutions here. Give it time.

What I miss is having the fuel filler over on the side, meaning you can just as easily fill on the center stand or side stand. That was a nice feature on the LT.

And yeah, I'd love a keyless ignition too. But mostly because I've got so much crap bolted to my fairing and handlebars that I can barely reach the damn key . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #9 of 17 Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 4:25 pm

Something else for them to include with the 1600 LT
post #10 of 17 Old Nov 7th, 2010, 1:08 am

Here is a picture from BMW showing a tankbag on a GTL
post #11 of 17 Old Nov 7th, 2010, 7:14 am

Talking Re: Tank Bag on GTL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncharles
Something else for them to include with the 1600 LT
Along with the HUD, and the crash avoidance auto braking system. The keyless starting would be nice

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
post #12 of 17 Old Nov 7th, 2010, 9:26 am Thread Starter

Aside from the fact that the tank bag pictured above on the GTL looks woefuly small (especially compared to the one BMW makes for my K1200GT), the photo is confusing given that the accessories info sheet that does show that tank bag specifies that it is "not suitable for the GTL" (presumably because the bars on the GTL sweep back that much further than those on the GT and the bag would interfere with them).

I really don't know what to make of that picture.
post #13 of 17 Old Nov 7th, 2010, 8:40 pm

The picture came from BMW Motorcycle Magazine.

http://bmwmcmag.com/category/k1600gtl/
post #14 of 17 Old Nov 14th, 2010, 8:45 pm

I kinda like the pockets that are shown in the various reviews on each side of the lower fairing? My GL1800 has fairly nice sized pockets on both sides that will hold small assorted items. This will make the bike doable until the aftermarket gets a bike to start fabricating things on. This will include a hitch from Uni-Go for the high speed trailering we all love so much.
Flint

06 Suzuki Burgman
07 Honda VTX 1800 Neo
07 Suzuki V Strom 1000
08 GoldWing
post #15 of 17 Old Nov 15th, 2010, 1:18 am
Lifetime Supporter

Fairing pockets

Just where are those fairing pockets, anyway? In some write-ups I read that there is supposed to be a lockable storage on the right side somewhere on the fairing but I can't find it in the pictures. I do see some types of 'wing-thingies' that open out but I think they're wind deflectors.
post #16 of 17 Old Nov 15th, 2010, 2:42 am

Garage
Re: Fairing pockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
Just where are those fairing pockets, anyway? In some write-ups I read that there is supposed to be a lockable storage on the right side somewhere on the fairing but I can't find it in the pictures. I do see some types of 'wing-thingies' that open out but I think they're wind deflectors.
See attached pictures of the GT. They're the same on the GTL.

Corrado68 took some detailed pics at the EICMA. Also attached....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P90066626.jpg
Views:	887
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	29536   Click image for larger version

Name:	P90066628.jpg
Views:	1960
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	29537   Click image for larger version

Name:	06-Details (6).JPG
Views:	932
Size:	271.8 KB
ID:	29538   Click image for larger version

Name:	06-Details.JPG
Views:	354
Size:	409.0 KB
ID:	29539  

Erwin

R1200GS Adventure LC 2018, Blackstorm/Schieferdunkel Matt/Achatgrau (Triple Black), in full options, BMW Navigator V

R1200GSA LC '18 <- R1200GSA LC '14 <- K1600GTL '12 <- R1200GS Adventure '09 <- K1200GT '07 <- K1200LT '05 <- K1200LT '99 <- K1100LT '95 <- K75RT '92

Last edited by ®win; Nov 15th, 2010 at 2:50 am.
post #17 of 17 Old Nov 15th, 2010, 8:01 am

The current crop of tank bags will probably offer something that will work? I have a pair of RKA bags that have seen duty on just about everything. I can't think of to many things that I need so badly when the bike is moving other than a piece of chewing gum? I can wear my camera on a cord around my neck if I were to need it that badly?

It appears to me that this bike is equipped nicely enough that it will take some time to fully learn all of it's complexities? A hitch and the Uni will provide a large storage area that is readily accessible for a road journey.

Flint

06 Suzuki Burgman
07 Honda VTX 1800 Neo
07 Suzuki V Strom 1000
08 GoldWing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in