post #1 of 31 Old Oct 13th, 2010, 11:00 pm Thread Starter
dsg

reverse gear

If this is the replacement for our LTS do you think it has reverse gear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old Oct 13th, 2010, 11:23 pm

Re: reverse gear

I doubt it, at least I've seen no mention of one in any of the press materials yet.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 Old Oct 14th, 2010, 12:39 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg
If this is the replacement for our LTs do you think it has reverse gear
No reverse, as you'd have to give up sixth gear to get it, and no power center stand as it simply adds too much weight.

Other than that, this thing will do pretty much everything better than the LT . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 31 Old Oct 14th, 2010, 3:02 am

I'd be surprised if it does. And if it doesn't, that means some will have to be a little more mindful when parking it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
No reverse, as you'd have to give up sixth gear to get it, and no power center stand as it simply adds too much weight.

Other than that, this thing will do pretty much everything better than the LT . . .
That's a bold statement from someone who hasn't even seen one yet, let alone ridden one.
post #5 of 31 Old Oct 14th, 2010, 10:04 am

Quote:
With all the additional power and torque, 6th gear is totally unnecessary. Just spread the existing 5 out a little more.

I'd much rather have the reverse.

That they left it out is (to me) another sign that BMW sees this as more a Sport Tourer than a Luxury Tourer.

Power Center Stand? Cute, but unnecessary unless they supply the same Ejector Stand they have on the LT; the only bike I ever owned where I had to be sure to park in first gear if I used the side stand.

'06 K1200LT Ocean Blue Metallic
'06 GL1800 Candy Black Cherry
Recovering Harley Rider

42° 41.663' N / 73° 38.651' W

post #6 of 31 Old Oct 14th, 2010, 12:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibleman
With all the additional power and torque, 6th gear is totally unnecessary. Just spread the existing 5 out a little more.

That they left it out is (to me) another sign that BMW sees this as more a Sport Tourer than a Luxury Tourer.

Power Center Stand? Cute, but unnecessary unless they supply the same Ejector Stand they have on the LT; the only bike I ever owned where I had to be sure to park in first gear if I used the side stand.
A close ratio 6 speed gearbox is very nice to have, even on a luxury touring bike with sport touring aspirations (which this thing obviously has a strong lean towards). I always felt the 5 speed on the LT was spread too far, especially in 4th and 5th, and on all three gearing configurations they ran (I owned one of each).

So far I haven't seen them market this bike as a "Luxury Tourer" in the ilk of the LT or the Goldwing. With a 29 inch seat height and all the baubles that are coming from the factory I think they are aiming partially at that crowd, but they are also trying to open that market space up to a younger 2-up crowd as well. Talk to Harley about their aging demographic if you want an example of digging a hole, which I feel BMW is trying to avoid, and in a good way IMHO.

In the end, if a heavy, 5 speed touring bike with reverse is what you want, you can probably get a great deal on a '10 LT.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #7 of 31 Old Oct 14th, 2010, 1:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg
If this is the replacement for our LTS do you think it has reverse gear
Nope -- if you look at the location of the starter and the arrangement of the gear drives of the starter and the tranny, it's clear that they can't do something like they did with the LT, where the front of the starter motor drives the flywheel, and rear of the starter motor drives the tranny once the reverse gear inside the tranny is shifted into engagement.

On the GT/GTL the rear end of the starter faces toward the left side of the bike (i.e., not connected to anything, and there's nothing in the area for it to engage anyway), and there's no room for additional gearing between the starter and the rest of the gear train, nor any room for addition of a reverse gear train inside the gearbox portion of the case. (and they can't drive in both forward and rear directions from the front of the motor; even if there was some way to spin the motor backwards to drive the tranny in the reverse direction, the start's sprag clutch would keep it from appliying any reversing torque to the drivetrain).

I figured BMW left the reverse feature out because they felt that they had adequately compensated by giving the rider an additional inch lower seat -- so that your legs can apply more reversing power to the ground

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #8 of 31 Old Oct 14th, 2010, 3:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
A close ratio 6 speed gearbox is very nice to have, even on a luxury touring bike with sport touring aspirations (which this thing obviously has a strong lean towards). I always felt the 5 speed on the LT was spread too far, especially in 4th and 5th, and on all three gearing configurations they ran (I owned one of each).

So far I haven't seen them market this bike as a "Luxury Tourer" in the ilk of the LT or the Goldwing. With a 29 inch seat height and all the baubles that are coming from the factory I think they are aiming partially at that crowd, but they are also trying to open that market space up to a younger 2-up crowd as well. Talk to Harley about their aging demographic if you want an example of digging a hole, which I feel BMW is trying to avoid, and in a good way IMHO.

In the end, if a heavy, 5 speed touring bike with reverse is what you want, you can probably get a great deal on a '10 LT.
David, while I respect your opinion, consider the following:

1. Spread on the LT was more pronounced because the bike makes HP but not torque. With the torque the GLT is reported to make, a wider gap will not be a problem. Just twist the grip and hang on. My Wing makes the kind of torque that the GLT is supposed to make, and to be honest, I could do with a 4-speed. In fact, I do often, but starting out in second gear.

2. BMW, as well as many other companies, are already making plenty of goodies for the kids. Bring up Harley is kind of a red herring because ALL of thier line is dated (except the V-Rod). The LT was not turning BMW into HD. Younger two-up couples will probably not be able to afford this anyways. With few exceptions, these toys are usually scooped by DINK's.

3. "heavy"? The GLT is not that much lighter than the LT. I suspect you will find many a couple doing the "Harley Shuffle", where the wife has to get off first and push hubby back into a parking space. It's a rather attractive dance (not).

'06 K1200LT Ocean Blue Metallic
'06 GL1800 Candy Black Cherry
Recovering Harley Rider

42° 41.663' N / 73° 38.651' W

post #9 of 31 Old Oct 14th, 2010, 4:45 pm

GTL does not seem to have rear speakers either.

Quote:

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

post #10 of 31 Old Oct 14th, 2010, 4:58 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Park facing uphill. Isn't that what we all did prior to reverse gears? While I admit reverse is a nice feature, it is not a necessity. Having a more stable platform in a parking when you are two-up and loaded for a 2 week trip is a better option I hope will be there with the GT/L

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory – Growing Up is Optional
post #11 of 31 Old Oct 14th, 2010, 5:30 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKas
GTL does not seem to have rear speakers either.
Not much of a concern for me with the flip-up and headseat...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #12 of 31 Old Oct 14th, 2010, 5:36 pm

Somehow, in days of yore, riders got by without heated grips, heated seats, windshields (much less raisable windshields) and cruise control. And, dare I mention, reverse gear and electric center stands. My, how we complain now that we have become used to them. Okay, so the 1600 series dosn't have what everybody would like...but they do have a lot of nice goodies and a lot to like. So we'll just have to live with what we get. What a problem?
post #13 of 31 Old Oct 14th, 2010, 8:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorchilla
Park facing uphill. Isn't that what we all did prior to reverse gears? While I admit reverse is a nice feature, it is not a necessity. Having a more stable platform in a parking when you are two-up and loaded for a 2 week trip is a better option I hope will be there with the GT/L

I agree. As a matter of fact, our group has a standing rule that anybody that gets into a parking spot head-down, and has to have somebody push them out, buys the "reverse gear" whatever meal or drink of choice is up next .

Doug Stracener
2011 RT polar metallic
Attorney,
MSF #127350,
Instructor, Motorcycle Safety Program Louisiana Department of Public Safety
NAUI Scuba Instructor #36288
Divers Alert Network Board member
post #14 of 31 Old Oct 17th, 2010, 8:22 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorchilla
Park facing uphill.
That doesn't help me back the thing into my garage every night like I do with the LT.

Alan
Garden Grove, CA

'07 K1200LT Biaritz Blue (97k miles)
'08 K1200LT Biaritz Blue (76k miles and climbing)

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well - that comes from poor judgment." -A.A. Milne

post #15 of 31 Old Oct 17th, 2010, 10:11 pm

I never back my bike into the garage; I just pull straight in. To get out I back it out while turning full-lock until it's turned 90 degrees outside the garage, then I shift into gear and ride off, completing the other 90 degrees of the turn. Really simple.
post #16 of 31 Old Oct 17th, 2010, 10:24 pm

That reverse has got me out of a few Jams. Especially in gravel driveways were its too narrow to turn around.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #17 of 31 Old Oct 18th, 2010, 12:40 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
That reverse has got me out of a few Jams. Especially in gravel driveways were its too narrow to turn around.
So, with a GTL you will have to actually think before turning into a narrow gravel road.

Erwin

R1200GS Adventure LC 2018, Blackstorm/Schieferdunkel Matt/Achatgrau (Triple Black), in full options, BMW Navigator V

R1200GSA LC '18 <- R1200GSA LC '14 <- K1600GTL '12 <- R1200GS Adventure '09 <- K1200GT '07 <- K1200LT '05 <- K1200LT '99 <- K1100LT '95 <- K75RT '92
post #18 of 31 Old Oct 18th, 2010, 7:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ®win
So, with a GTL you will have to actually think before turning into a narrow gravel road.
Yep so don't go there unless you have an LT.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #19 of 31 Old Oct 18th, 2010, 8:14 am

I use reverse to back the rear tire up onto a 2x4 to help get the bike on the centerstand. My bike is 2003, of course the newer LT's have the electric center stand. The GT/GTL has neither. It would have been nice to at least have the electric centerstand.

Vince - 2003 LT.

post #20 of 31 Old Oct 18th, 2010, 10:31 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanLT
That doesn't help me back the thing into my garage every night like I do with the LT.
Same here!! It is a little up hill with a 2 inch lip going into my garage. I guess I'll just have to get my fat ass off the bike & push.

Stevie Shreeve
post #21 of 31 Old Oct 18th, 2010, 4:48 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
More like think twice before buying one!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #22 of 31 Old Oct 18th, 2010, 5:06 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
More like think twice before buying one!

A gravel road?

.... they're my favorite....

Erwin

R1200GS Adventure LC 2018, Blackstorm/Schieferdunkel Matt/Achatgrau (Triple Black), in full options, BMW Navigator V

R1200GSA LC '18 <- R1200GSA LC '14 <- K1600GTL '12 <- R1200GS Adventure '09 <- K1200GT '07 <- K1200LT '05 <- K1200LT '99 <- K1100LT '95 <- K75RT '92
post #23 of 31 Old Oct 18th, 2010, 5:42 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
A gravel road?

.... they're my favorite....
That also. Since my driveway is 1700' of gravel, I know whereof I speak.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #24 of 31 Old Oct 18th, 2010, 6:41 pm

For me, reverse is not a deal breaker - but I'd miss it on a heavy bike like this. There are many situations where I'll be able to park in a better location JUST BECAUSE I know I have reverse to get me out. Even on My C-14, there were situations I avoided that don't matter on the Wing or an LT.

As an example - there is a breakfast place I like that has parking in front. The spots are all slightly uphill, but there is a drainage channel between it and the road. Without reverse, I'd have to park in the back where I can't watch the bike.

2008 Honda Goldwing ABS - full race tech suspension
2008 Ducati Monster S4RS Testastretta Tricolore - #83/400
2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2010 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
post #25 of 31 Old Oct 18th, 2010, 7:01 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffgunner
For me, reverse is not a deal breaker - but I'd miss it on a heavy bike like this. There are many situations where I'll be able to park in a better location JUST BECAUSE I know I have reverse to get me out. Even on My C-14, there were situations I avoided that don't matter on the Wing or an LT.

As an example - there is a breakfast place I like that has parking in front. The spots are all slightly uphill, but there is a drainage channel between it and the road. Without reverse, I'd have to park in the back where I can't watch the bike.
I agree. I would not call it a deal breaker either, but I would hate now to now have it. For me, I suspect the deal breaker will be the passenger accomodations ... and probably the price.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #26 of 31 Old Oct 18th, 2010, 8:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_nj1
I use reverse to back the rear tire up onto a 2x4 to help get the bike on the centerstand. My bike is 2003, of course the newer LT's have the electric center stand. The GT/GTL has neither. It would have been nice to at least have the electric centerstand.
You can do this going forward. I position a plank just in front of the rear tire and drive forward onto it.
post #27 of 31 Old Oct 18th, 2010, 8:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
You can do this going forward. I position a plank just in front of the rear tire and drive forward onto it.

I never had an LT but are they that hard to get on the center stand?

I'm a pretty big guy and don't think I'll have a hard time. If the design is to have a normal person put it up on the center stand I should not have a problem. One benefit of being a big Polish man I guess.
post #28 of 31 Old Oct 18th, 2010, 8:36 pm

I ride a GS with a 35" seat height to my 30" inseam. I wish it had reverse too I either park it so I don't have to back up, or I just stop and roll it backwards while standing next to it. I wish all bikes had a mechanical reverse, but you know what would happen when someone lets the clutch out too fast.. Lawyers would love that feature the most!
post #29 of 31 Old Oct 18th, 2010, 8:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffy
... I wish all bikes had a mechanical reverse, but you know what would happen when someone lets the clutch out too fast.. Lawyers would love that feature the most!
Hey....It buys me toys !

Doug Stracener
2011 RT polar metallic
Attorney,
MSF #127350,
Instructor, Motorcycle Safety Program Louisiana Department of Public Safety
NAUI Scuba Instructor #36288
Divers Alert Network Board member
post #30 of 31 Old Oct 19th, 2010, 12:26 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by beekeeper
I never had an LT but are they that hard to get on the center stand?
It's a matter of technique. I've owned both a '99 and '04 model LT, so I can know. The K1200GT I owned after that was MUCH harder to get on the center stand (fully packed).

Erwin

post #31 of 31 Old Oct 19th, 2010, 5:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibleman

I have come to believe that BMW stands for sport no matter what the product. After all they were the first one to make an SUV that wouldn't flip over trying to negotiate an evasive maneuver (gross generalization that) and no matter what kind of bike I ride it above all else must give me a feeling of sporting flair.

If all I wanted to do was cruise down interstates from one hotel to the next and wear matching panties with my passenger I'd buy a luxury bike like the Honda or some butt jewelry like the fancy hogs. To me and I realize it is one opinion only the whole BMW idealogy is and always has been about sporting rides . That is what brings me back. Gosh even a GS will handle corners better than some sport bikes and it is touted as dual sport. jus sayin............................

No matter where you go , there you are.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in