I'm committed now.... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old Oct 11th, 2010, 9:17 am Thread Starter

I'm committed now....

A few months ago I put $ down to hold the first dibs on a GTL with my local dealer. Refundable, so no biggie if I were to choose to stick with the LT.

Been discussing trade options with my dealer, but I didn't get any figures yet. Had checked KBB for average retail and trade values, as well as ebay and cycletrader to get an idea of what an 2009 LT would go for as most of the country moves into the non-riding season.

Thought I'd put it up on craigslist with a sharp/fair price, and I sold her.

So now I'm committed to the GTL. Fortunately, I have a BigDog to ride while waiting for the GTL's to arrive....

btw, I have a perfect condition Corbin saddle (2 months old, only about 500 miles on it) and the foot peg lowering kit that are now for sale. If anyone is interested, send me a PM.

Scott

In the garage:
'12 K1600 GTL (took delivery 5/25)
'12 Ducati Monster EVO 1100
'08 Big Dog Pitbull
'79 Honda CX 500 Deluxe (restored)

Past:
'09 BMW R1200R
'09 BMW K1200 LT
'08 Victory Vision
'06 Yamaha FJR1300
'03 BMW K1200 LT
'02 Gold Wing 1800
'98 Yamaha Roadstar
'96 GoldWing 1500
'79 Honda CX500
'77 GoldWing 1000

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old Oct 24th, 2010, 9:20 am Thread Starter

Re: I'm committed now....

Just posted the saddle in the classified section. If interested in a great deal on a great seat for your LT, check it out. Thanks.

Scott

In the garage:
'08 Big Dog Pitbull

Past:
'09 BMW R1200R
'09 BMW K1200 LT
'08 Victory Vision
'06 Yamaha FJR1300
'03 BMW K1200 LT
'02 Gold Wing 1800
'98 Yamaha Roadstar
'96 GoldWing 1500
'79 Honda CX500
'77 GoldWing 1000

post #3 of 39 Old Oct 24th, 2010, 10:49 am

I'm new here and have been actively reading everything on the upcoming GTL. My current bike is an 08 Victory Vision Tour Premium and I have owned many bikes in the past, including Gold Wings (GL1500) and the original Yamaha Venture in '83, along with many sport bikes. I see you used to have a Vision and wonder how you compare it to the BMW's in general since you have moved to them and are looking at the GTL. I use my Vision for mostly solo touring and general riding and find it very sporty, powerful and comfortable, especially with the upgraded cams and fuel controller. However, I am seriously considering the new GTL for several reasons and would use it in a similar way ( solo touring and sporty local riding ). With the Vision, I remove the trunk for local rides and it handles beautifully, even at slow speed or on the twisties. And the seat is the best stock seat I've owned. There are reasons to consider moving to the BMW though and I'm curious what a former Vision owner thinks. Thanks.

post #4 of 39 Old Oct 24th, 2010, 11:02 am

Glad to hear you moved the LT ... cool! Now we'll be looking forward to your review this Spring.
post #5 of 39 Old Oct 24th, 2010, 12:14 pm

Congrats I've ridden the K1300GT and then The K1200LT back to back at a dealer demo. I rode the GT first on an hour long demo with the test fleet. When merging onto the highway, I thought there was something wrong with the LT due to its leisurely acceleration compared to the explosive acceleration of the GT! Can't wait to try the GTL, but I have a feeling I'll be placing a deposit on one before I even get to sit on it.

I wanted an RT with a K bike engine. I like the handling and ergos of the RT but I'm a bit tired of the boxer engine and in Colorado, we're down 20% in power at Denver altitude and we lose even more power as you climb higher...

This bike ticks off all the right boxes for me, except the price but hey, it's only money and compared to a fully loaded HD Ultra Classic Limited, the GTL is a bargain.
post #6 of 39 Old Oct 24th, 2010, 3:56 pm

[QUOTE=fluffy]C I thought there was something wrong with the LT due to its leisurely acceleration compared to the explosive acceleration of the GT!

If this was your first trip on LT you were most likely in to high a gear. She does not like to be lugged at 3.5K in fifth, and does seem to be lacking if that was the situation. Repete the test ride and do not go above 2nd until you pass 6.8K RPM's. shift to third above 85 mph. This girl loves to dance

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
post #7 of 39 Old Oct 24th, 2010, 8:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffy
Congrats I've ridden the K1300GT and then The K1200LT back to back at a dealer demo. I rode the GT first on an hour long demo with the test fleet. When merging onto the highway, I thought there was something wrong with the LT due to its leisurely acceleration compared to the explosive acceleration of the GT! Can't wait to try the GTL, but I have a feeling I'll be placing a deposit on one before I even get to sit on it.

I wanted an RT with a K bike engine. I like the handling and ergos of the RT but I'm a bit tired of the boxer engine and in Colorado, we're down 20% in power at Denver altitude and we lose even more power as you climb higher...

This bike ticks off all the right boxes for me, except the price but hey, it's only money and compared to a fully loaded HD Ultra Classic Limited, the GTL is a bargain.
I've never felt the boxer engine to be lacking anything at elevation. I love its torque. Obviously it is a different beast than the K1200 engine. I have a friend that calls the boxer a "paint shaker"

2018 R1200RT Mars Red
2017 R1200GS Rallye
2014 Husky FE501
post #8 of 39 Old Oct 28th, 2010, 5:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammick
...I have a friend that calls the boxer a "paint shaker"
He has obviously never ridden a Harley

Doug Stracener
2011 RT polar metallic
Attorney,
MSF #127350,
Instructor, Motorcycle Safety Program Louisiana Department of Public Safety
NAUI Scuba Instructor #36288
Divers Alert Network Board member
post #9 of 39 Old Oct 29th, 2010, 8:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffy
I thought there was something wrong with the LT due to its leisurely acceleration compared to the explosive acceleration of the GT!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiwan
If this was your first trip on LT you were most likely in to high a gear. She does not like to be lugged at 3.5K in fifth, and does seem to be lacking if that was the situation. Repete the test ride and do not go above 2nd until you pass 6.8K RPM's. shift to third above 85 mph. This girl loves to dance
I rode an LT for 50K miles and pushed it as hard as one can push an LT. It seen 120+ mph more times than I can count, and it lived above 6K rpms in the twisties all of the time. But you just can't compete with a better power-to-weight ratio. Of the 12 or so bikes that I've owned, the K1200LT was the slowest of them all. It "dances" ... it's just more like a waltz, when some of us much prefer the quick step.

Having said that, there's several things that the LT did better than all of my other bikes. And this is exactly what excites me about the 1600. If I can blend the pros of the LT with some of the pros of my '06 GT, or current Concours14 ... well I'll be one happy camper.
post #10 of 39 Old Oct 30th, 2010, 12:17 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2
If I can blend the pros of the LT with some of the pros of my '06 GT, or current Concours14 ... well I'll be one happy camper.
[AOL] +1!! [/AOL]

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #11 of 39 Old Oct 30th, 2010, 5:15 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBreeze
A few months ago I put $ down to hold the first dibs on a GTL with my local dealer. Refundable, so no biggie if I were to choose to stick with the LT.

Been discussing trade options with my dealer, but I didn't get any figures yet. Had checked KBB for average retail and trade values, as well as ebay and cycletrader to get an idea of what an 2009 LT would go for as most of the country moves into the non-riding season.

Thought I'd put it up on craigslist with a sharp/fair price, and I sold her.

So now I'm committed to the GTL. Fortunately, I have a BigDog to ride while waiting for the GTL's to arrive....

btw, I have a perfect condition Corbin saddle (2 months old, only about 500 miles on it) and the foot peg lowering kit that are now for sale. If anyone is interested, send me a PM.
Any forecast on arrival date? Next summer??

I am anxiously awaiting your first reports as a beta tester!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #12 of 39 Old Oct 30th, 2010, 8:51 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager

Hey Matt,

Nothin' official, but both dealers told me most likely April or May. Of course both dealers here get their info from the same regional BMW guy, so I don't think it is from 2 separate sources. Now there have been cases in the past where BMW gives out a date on a new bike, and the date then slips due to production issues. It's tough, as we here in AZ are just now getting into our prime riding season, and by April or May, it's gettin' hot. (but we can always drive up into the high country which is only a couple hours away)

They did feel strongly that the bike will be at the Long Beach, CA motorcycle show in December. I'll be taking a road trip once that's confirmed.

Can't wait to be "beta"!!!!!

Scott

Scott

In the garage:
'08 Big Dog Pitbull

Past:
'09 BMW R1200R
'09 BMW K1200 LT
'08 Victory Vision
'06 Yamaha FJR1300
'03 BMW K1200 LT
'02 Gold Wing 1800
'98 Yamaha Roadstar
'96 GoldWing 1500
'79 Honda CX500
'77 GoldWing 1000

post #13 of 39 Old Oct 31st, 2010, 7:09 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:

According to the article in Novembers BMW Owner News we will see the first bikes in March.

Stevie Shreeve
post #14 of 39 Old Oct 31st, 2010, 9:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
According to the article in Novembers BMW Owner News we will see the first bikes in March.
Oh Dag! I'm notorious for showing up at Spring Training Camp in April with a bike that has a 30-day tag on it. Will the streak continue? Hhmmn...
post #15 of 39 Old Oct 31st, 2010, 2:36 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2
Oh Dag! I'm notorious for showing up at Spring Training Camp in April with a bike that has a 30-day tag on it. Will the streak continue? Hhmmn...
Then you better get on the list now Joe (as in put your money down). Lone Star has 5 folks now in line (I'm #2), North Dallas in Plano has 8 last I heard. BMW Ft Worth has 4 & I don't know about the 3 dealers in Houston or the one in SA.

Stevie Shreeve
post #16 of 39 Old Nov 4th, 2010, 3:21 pm

I put a deposit on a K1600 GTL today. I talked to a BMW dealership which said that the BMW factory rep told them that the dealership would have priority for all the K1600's that they had sold. In other words they would receive the "sold" bikes before dealers would receive unsold inventory. Also that the dealer would be given notice of when production would begin so that the buyer, through the dealer, could "build" the bike to buyers requirements. Maybe that is a sales pitch but sounded good to me and I have never owned a BMW. I have been riding HD's for the last 20 years. From what information I have gathered, mainly on this forum, I believe the K1600 GTL will fit my frame and my requirements for day after day long range touring. All prior BMW's that I have been familiar with had horrible seats, were top heavy. to tall, had bad ergonomics, or a mixture of all the above. I am betting on the GTL and hope it will be as comfy as my HD Ultra with a Road Zeppelin seat. Cost will be MSRP.
post #17 of 39 Old Nov 4th, 2010, 4:14 pm

Rodeking,

I also was a long time Harley Rider. I bought my 2006 BMW LT in June 06 coming from a 2004 Roadking Classic. I have not regretted it for one moment. I to am looking forward to the 1600 GTL. My dealer here doesn't seem as aggressive about presold bikes as your's does. I guess I will have to push the issue more.

Thanks for the info
post #18 of 39 Old Nov 4th, 2010, 8:47 pm

Today I put a deposit on the first GTL to arive at the dealership with all options.
I think that this will be a batter bike then the LT and a far better bike then the other touring bikes.
Other brands will catch up if they beleave that people realy want a bike that can handle and not a rolling couch.
post #19 of 39 Old Nov 4th, 2010, 9:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iride4u
Today I put a deposit on the first GTL to arive at the dealership with all options.
I think that this will be a batter bike then the LT and a far better bike then the other touring bikes.
Other brands will catch up if they beleave that people realy want a bike that can handle and not a rolling couch.
You really think the Wing doesn't handle? I'll bet at least 70% of current LT riders couldn't stay with this guy. And the GTL will at best lower that number to 60%.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #20 of 39 Old Nov 4th, 2010, 9:29 pm

WOW,
I was getting motion sick just from watching! It sounds like the guy taking the video will need a new set of footpegs.
post #21 of 39 Old Nov 4th, 2010, 11:51 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
I'll bet at least 70% of current LT riders couldn't stay with this guy.
Agreed. Now imagine what "that guy" could do on a real bike with some actual ground clearance . . .

Hell, I've chased "sport" bikes with half the weight and half again as much power as my LT and scared the crap outta them because they couldn't get The Behemoth out of their mirrors . . .

Even passed a few of them along the way, too.

A skilled rider can make any bike move along a quite a nice clip, but give that rider a better handling bike with some decent power and then look out . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #22 of 39 Old Nov 4th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
You really think the Wing doesn't handle? I'll bet at least 70% of current LT riders couldn't stay with this guy. And the GTL will at best lower that number to 60%.

You're probably low with that 70% number for LT riders that could hang with that guy! He's a monster! But, in all fairness, even less GW riders could be anywhere near him. So, keep things in perspective.

I honestly think he could do the dragon even faster on an LT.
post #23 of 39 Old Nov 4th, 2010, 11:57 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by beekeeper
It sounds like the guy taking the video will need a new set of footpegs.
Repeat after me: scraping pegs on a huge, heavy beast of a bike with no ground clearance does not make you fast. Excessive lean angles for the conditions does not make you fast. Leaning off the seat in the corners does not make you fast. Running obnoxiously loud pipes does not make you fast.

What makes you fast is riding a bike to its limits and the limits of the road. How you "look" and how you "sound" while doing that has absolutely no bearing on the matter at all . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #24 of 39 Old Nov 5th, 2010, 8:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Repeat after me: scraping pegs on a huge, heavy beast of a bike with no ground clearance does not make you fast. Excessive lean angles for the conditions does not make you fast. Leaning off the seat in the corners does not make you fast. Running obnoxiously loud pipes does not make you fast.

What makes you fast is riding a bike to its limits and the limits of the road. How you "look" and how you "sound" while doing that has absolutely no bearing on the matter at all . . .
+10 on that Meese, the two things that I got from that video was that the rider with the camera was riding his bike to its limits with his abilities and road conditions. The other thing is I need to invent a camera mount that moves like the new adaptive headlight that the 1600 will have. That way you can see the whole video of the whole road better.

Rob Asay
99 Canyon Red Lt
"The True Red Dragon"
1982 Honda "Silver Wing"
1986 Gold Wing Interstate "Blue Babe"
1978 Gold Wing
1976 Kawasaki 900
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler
post #25 of 39 Old Nov 5th, 2010, 9:04 am

The guy on the yellow Goldwing lives up there and has riden Deals Gap a jillion times.But can't argue the point that he can ride.
post #26 of 39 Old Nov 5th, 2010, 9:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadking04
The guy on the yellow Goldwing lives up there and has riden Deals Gap a jillion times.But can't argue the point that he can ride.
He is very well known on the GW forum, and he is a hell of a rider. BTW, the guy doing the video is also on a yellow GW.

As owner of a GW, I can attest to the fact that it handles pretty damn good for it's size, but the front suspension is still a compromise. My main beef is that it actually has something of a harsh ride. Logic is that the suspension uses up too much travel just settling on the forks. A lot of folks spend $2500 on a Traxxion suspension - they say it rides and handles better.

But it's still not a a sport bike by any stretch, and ground clearance is limited. There are some very fast sweepers that I ride all the time with lots of good visibility. I max out at about 85mph on the GW, but I can run them at 95-100 on my Concours.

Jim
--------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2017 KTM Superduke GT
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
post #27 of 39 Old Nov 5th, 2010, 10:03 am

Quote:

I did not say that some people can't handle a Wing. There are many who do an excelent job.
When I bought the LT the only 2 bikes that I seriously considered were the LT and a Wing.
I think that the GTL will be a better bike as the chassis is 5 years newer and the bike will be lighter.
My comments were not just pointed at the Wings but also at the other over weight bikes from other manufacturers.
As the years have gone by some brands have lost focus and just have made larger bikes with less ground clearance and less lean angle.
As a past Colorado State Director of Venture Touring Socity I am directing some of these comments at Yamaha.

Last edited by iride4u; Nov 5th, 2010 at 10:13 am.
post #28 of 39 Old Nov 5th, 2010, 11:28 am

That's a guy named Rick on the lead bike and a fella named Fuse on the second yellow wing. They both had earned the respect of the many who lived to ride the Dragon. Rick also completed a bun burner on the Dragon in a 24 hour period he rode over 1000 miles going back and forth on the Dragon. Fuse had a helicopter and his avatar was of him and his wing and copter sitting together. The one thing I always liked and enjoyed about watching The Wolf on the Dragon is that he stays in his lane and doesn't go across the center line.

I imagine that it won't be long after the release that there will be some really great riders posting assorted videos of impressive riding feats on the GT and the GTL.. The one thing that struck me as great about my LT was the ride on the highway. It always gave a great ride and Linda just loved that back seat. We pulled our Uni-Go to Alaska and all over the country and it just kept on keeping on. On one of our trips we were coming down the mountain toward Salt Lake and I saw a headlight in the mirrors. This was in the daytime and the roads were clear so we "came down the mountain." The LT just did her thing and the Uni came along for the ride. When we got down toward the bottom the was a rest area with a nice view so I pulled in for a courtesy stop. In a couple minutes the following bike also pulled in and he parked beside us on an 1800 Wing. He was smiling from ear to ear and as we said our hellos he looked at the K and the trailer and he said "I just can't believe this"? I said, "what's that" and he sai, " I was really pushing my bike pretty hard coming down that hill and I thought sure I would catch up to you and maybe get ahead but, every time we went around a curve and then came out of it you were just as far away or maybe a little farther, and I would never have thought that K12 with two up and a trailer could run like that?" I told him as others have said, that the lady loves to dance but, you have to bring rpm's to the party. We had a nice little chat about bikes and riding and then we both went on our way.

I just know that the GT's will draw an audience where ever they land. Sure is fun waiting and it's kinda like being a kid again at Christmas huh?

-----you'll shoot your eye out?----->

Flint

06 Suzuki Burgman
07 Honda VTX 1800 Neo
07 Suzuki V Strom 1000
08 GoldWing
post #29 of 39 Old Nov 5th, 2010, 7:03 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Agreed. Now imagine what "that guy" could do on a real bike with some actual ground clearance . . .

Hell, I've chased "sport" bikes with half the weight and half again as much power as my LT and scared the crap outta them because they couldn't get The Behemoth out of their mirrors . . .

Even passed a few of them along the way, too.

A skilled rider can make any bike move along a quite a nice clip, but give that rider a better handling bike with some decent power and then look out . . .
Yes, no question a better rider will ride faster on a better bike. That wasn't my point. My point is that most people who are saying how much better the GTL will handle as compared to an LT or even a Wing in all likelihood aren't using even close to the capability of the LT. So, if you are riding your LT at only 70%, what is the point of getting a more capable bike and riding it at 50%? I don't get it...

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #30 of 39 Old Nov 5th, 2010, 7:05 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
You're probably low with that 70% number for LT riders that could hang with that guy! He's a monster! But, in all fairness, even less GW riders could be anywhere near him. So, keep things in perspective.

I honestly think he could do the dragon even faster on an LT.
Yes, I suspect you are correct, but I was trying to be nice. :-)

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #31 of 39 Old Nov 5th, 2010, 8:22 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
So, if you are riding your LT at only 70%, what is the point of getting a more capable bike and riding it at 50%?
Because it's shiny and new and people will look at you in awe and be jealous.

Seriously, the reason I moved from an LT to a GT was because I was simply out-riding the LT on pretty much every ride. I'd figured that out already, but when I took the LT on a track day (which was a blast), it really pointed out the bike's weaknesses . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #32 of 39 Old Nov 5th, 2010, 8:30 pm

Ya may wanna think that one over a little? In the short straights on the Dragon the wing does real well with Rick on it. He moved from Florida to somewhere there close and he set his bike up with video equipment so he could make cd's for people who were wanting a memory of their day on the Dragon.

It's funny how folks want to feel that they have the superior (insert your machine here _______ ) bike and it will out do whatever anyone else may have? I was on the VTX board yesterday and this one guy is convinced that his VTX is the absolute faster v twin made. I mentioned that my Vee Strom 1000 has about a 3/4 second faster time and a 2.4 miles per hour higher speed. He got mad and couldn't believe it so I suggested he go read the article in Cycle World that is on the net and has those numbers in it. I also said something about a 1198 R Ducati but, he didn't wanna hear that either? LOL

The Wing and the K12 are both 10 year old technology that is being over taken by the future. Harley is trying to sell air cooled motors making half the horsies and kinda hurting for it. They also want 39 large for a 110 inch air cooled motor making 80 horse power? New things seem to be lighter and with more power whether it's a car or a bike.

Flint

06 Suzuki Burgman
07 Honda VTX 1800 Neo
07 Suzuki V Strom 1000
08 GoldWing
post #33 of 39 Old Nov 5th, 2010, 10:33 pm

I realy started something with my orignal post. Most competent riders who know a road and their bike can out ride someone on a better handling and more powerfull bike if they do not know the road.
The key to riding fast and safely is to know the limits of your equipment and your self.
In the origmal post I was atempting to point out that newer technology would be safer and handle better if properly designed..
While my LT is far advanced over my Venture it still has faults that I hope the new bike does not have.
The Wing was redesigned when they brought out the 1800 and it is a far better bike than the 1500.
The other large touring bikes I have no use in they are what I call 2 wheeled couches. They are big heavy and do not handle real well, shure they are better than a HD but that does not say much.
I am not putting sport tourers in this generalization.
post #34 of 39 Old Nov 6th, 2010, 9:24 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iride4u
I realy started something with my orignal post. Most competent riders who know a road and their bike can out ride someone on a better handling and more powerfull bike if they do not know the road.
The key to riding fast and safely is to know the limits of your equipment and your self.
In the origmal post I was atempting to point out that newer technology would be safer and handle better if properly designed..
While my LT is far advanced over my Venture it still has faults that I hope the new bike does not have.
The Wing was redesigned when they brought out the 1800 and it is a far better bike than the 1500.
The other large touring bikes I have no use in they are what I call 2 wheeled couches. They are big heavy and do not handle real well, shure they are better than a HD but that does not say much.
I am not putting sport tourers in this generalization.
If you don't consider the Wing a "2 wheeled couch", then I can't imagine what bikes you put in that category.

I understand your point, but my point is that your point is moot for at least 70% of the riders on the road and probably more than that as others have pointed out. If you aren't using the capability of the bike you already own, then having a new bike with even more capability makes no difference at all. A far better investment is in your riding skill. A few track days and a riding school or two would increase your capability and safety FAR more than will moving to a GT or GTL.

I was using the "Wolf" video to demonstrate that. He gets more performance from a Wing (because he gets pretty much 100% of its perfromance) than most LT riders get from their bikes. I suspect a Wing has maybe 90% of the inherent capability of an LT on a road like the Tail of the Dragon. The LT I am sure can corner faster, but the Wing can pull harder out of the corners and down the short straights so I suspect the overall performance difference is 10% or so. So, if you are riding your LT at 70%, then someone like Wolf is going to kick your butt with his Wing and you having a GTL isn't going to change that equation much.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #35 of 39 Old Nov 6th, 2010, 1:54 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBreeze
Just posted the saddle in the classified section. If interested in a great deal on a great seat for your LT, check it out. Thanks.
An update - both the Corbin seat and the Foot Peg lowering kit have been sold. Thanks for the interest.

Scott

In the garage:
'08 Big Dog Pitbull

Past:
'09 BMW R1200R
'09 BMW K1200 LT
'08 Victory Vision
'06 Yamaha FJR1300
'03 BMW K1200 LT
'02 Gold Wing 1800
'98 Yamaha Roadstar
'96 GoldWing 1500
'79 Honda CX500
'77 GoldWing 1000

post #36 of 39 Old Nov 17th, 2010, 7:42 pm

R1200RT or K1600GTL

First, I ride a 2008 GL1800, new 9/2009, 12,000 miles. My ride before that was a new 2008 FJR1300 which was very uncomfortable for me due to a pinched nerve in my neck (forward lean). I'm committed to buying the K1600GTL because I think it will be the perfect bike for me, but I'm not very patient, and they're making us what so long :mad.

Here is the info, I'm thinking about trading for a used 2010 R1200RT so I can have the "BMW Experience", that is dealer and maintenance issues, with a minimal cash outlay. Then, in a couple of years I can trade the RT for a 2nd or 3rd year new GTL.

Here is the question, what do you think, get and ride an RT for a couple years first or take the big plunge in 2010 for the GTL?

PS. Mostly commuter miles, two up 10%, annual "long" ride

Thanks, and this is by far the best forum for K1600GL/GTL
post #37 of 39 Old Nov 17th, 2010, 8:01 pm

Smile Re: I'm committed now....

I'd suggest ya just keep that wing and ride and enjoy it. In the mean time you can save up all the store stops you aren't having to make with it and put that money away for the initial purchase of the GTL/GT. You may find that you won't have to spend as much money on things for the GT but, you will probably want/need a helmet that incorporates Blue tooth for you and your passenger? You'll probably want the liner bags for the luggage areas x 3 is some more of the long green. Mags Bags or Helen2wheels will be able to assist a bit with some bags for the bike. A super good pair of riding gloves, as well as some kind that are good, in your correct hand size for the rain. Now some Frogg Toggs and yer good to go.

There will be a GTL/GT available some where in America when you are ready to buy it.

Flint

06 Suzuki Burgman
07 Honda VTX 1800 Neo
07 Suzuki V Strom 1000
08 GoldWing
post #38 of 39 Old Nov 18th, 2010, 9:47 am Thread Starter

Re: R1200RT or K1600GTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinscher
First, I ride a 2008 GL1800, new 9/2009, 12,000 miles. My ride before that was a new 2008 FJR1300 which was very uncomfortable for me due to a pinched nerve in my neck (forward lean). I'm committed to buying the K1600GTL because I think it will be the perfect bike for me, but I'm not very patient, and they're making us what so long :mad.

Here is the info, I'm thinking about trading for a used 2010 R1200RT so I can have the "BMW Experience", that is dealer and maintenance issues, with a minimal cash outlay. Then, in a couple of years I can trade the RT for a 2nd or 3rd year new GTL.

Here is the question, what do you think, get and ride an RT for a couple years first or take the big plunge in 2010 for the GTL?

Jeffery,
I too have had both a couple GW's and a FJR1300 (I too loved the FJR, but the ergos were just a little too cramped for me - mostly my knees after a more than an hour or two, but I can see where the more forward lean could aggravate a neck issue) I have also done a few trips on an RT (rented) so I have a pretty good feel for the ergos of the RT compared to the GW, and LT.

I know you are asking for opinions, but what it really comes down to is what your goals are and what you find compelling. As you know, any bike is a depreciating asset, and they are constantly losing value. So from a purely financial perspective, it makes sense to keep what you have and run it for ever. But most of us don't look at motorcycling in a purely financial perspective, but rather one of joy and passion. So with that said, have you ridden an RT? How does it feel to you compared to the GW? Different bikes. Different ergonomics, different feel, different handing, braking, performance and "experience" as you noted. It isn't about which bike is better, but which gives you the "experience" that you are seeking. If you haven't ridden the RT, I'd suggest you do a long demo ride, or find a place that will rent you one for a day. While it might be $200 to rent, it may save you from trading/buying something that isn't right for you while waiting on the K1600GTL. The GW is a great bike. The RT is a great bike. The K1600GT/GTL looks to be a great bike. But it really goes to what Jeffery finds to be the bike for him. That might not be the most financially prudent decision, but I'd challenge anyone who rides, that being financially prudent isn't on the top of the list as to why we own/ride motorcycles.

Just my opinion....since you asked.

Scott

In the garage:
'08 Big Dog Pitbull

Past:
'09 BMW R1200R
'09 BMW K1200 LT
'08 Victory Vision
'06 Yamaha FJR1300
'03 BMW K1200 LT
'02 Gold Wing 1800
'98 Yamaha Roadstar
'96 GoldWing 1500
'79 Honda CX500
'77 GoldWing 1000

post #39 of 39 Old Nov 18th, 2010, 10:46 am

Re: R1200RT or K1600GTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinscher

I agree that the GTL appears to be the perfect long range touring bike for my passenger and me. My touring companion and his wife are riding a RT. I have ridden his RT and to me it is not a comfortable touring bike for the rider or the passenger. The RT is a great as a sport/touring machine or a commuter, but it is not a luxury touring bike IMHO. When I say touring I am talking about a 4000 to 5000 mile ride. I like the RT and it is a great bike. You may like its seat and ergonomics, so ride it before you buy one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in