BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Here is the new 1600 !!! WOW!!

43K views 192 replies 75 participants last post by  Voyager 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Great link! Thanks ;)

#4 ·
I like a great deal of what I see and read so far.

I do wonder how they'll manage heat on this bike. Between the frame bits and exposed engine, there's potential for a lot of that to get on the rider's legs.

#5 ·
Do you suppose it'll be better to run dino or synthetic in this bike?

#7 · (Edited)
LarryP said:
I'm not a fan of the throttle wire system. Adds several more possible failure points.
Toyota has had a lot of problems with this.
And the Chevrolet Corvette has had none. Done right, it eliminates a possible failure point, namely, the throttle cables.

I still want to know how much it weighs.

#8 ·
LarryP said:
I'm not a fan of the throttle wire system. Adds several more possible failure points.
Toyota has allegedly had a lot of problems with this.
Fixed for ya ;-)

#9 ·
bmwhd said:
I like a great deal of what I see and read so far.

I do wonder how they'll manage heat on this bike. Between the frame bits and exposed engine, there's potential for a lot of that to get on the rider's legs.
Todd,
I was looking at the pics for where the radiator(s) exhaust the heat, but couldn't quite make it out. However, while it doesn't have the extensive tupperweare as the LT does, it does look like there are body panels in front of the rider's knees that go down to the tops of the feet, so I'm not thinking that heat on the rider will be much of an issue. Time and rides will tell for certain.

#11 ·
MrBreeze said:
Todd,
I was looking at the pics for where the radiator(s) exhaust the heat, but couldn't quite make it out. However, while it doesn't have the extensive tupperweare as the LT does, it does look like there are body panels in front of the rider's knees that go down to the tops of the feet, so I'm not thinking that heat on the rider will be much of an issue. Time and rides will tell for certain.
I imagine you're right. I do know that on my Gen II FJR, the heat management is worlds better than the Gen I's but that exposed frame does get a bit warm. I can't tell from looking if the frame is covered with plastic panels or if that's metal?

#12 ·
XTrooper said:
And the Chevrolet Corvette has had none. Done right, it eliminates a possible failure point, namely, the throttle cables.

I still want to know how much it weighs.
+1 on the throttle by wire -- both my '04 and '08 Corvettes have had zero issues.

709 lbs w/o bags and trunk; 765 lbs with luggage and 90% fuel.

#14 ·
LarryP said:
Throttle cables seldom cause a problem. And they're a easy fix . Sometimes simplicity is best.
You've obviously never had one break in the middle of nowhere. I have.

And they're NOT an "easy fix" unless you happen to have a spare cable in your back pocket.

#16 ·
mneblett said:
+1 on the throttle by wire -- both my '04 and '08 Corvettes have had zero issues.

709 lbs w/o bags and trunk; 765 lbs with luggage and 90% fuel.
Thanks for the weights! ;)

They don't seem too bad if the new bike "wears" the extra weight well. I guess it's going to take a test ride to know for sure.

#17 ·
Thanks for the great video link. My initial impression after reading everything, seeing the photos and the video - I'm impressed and I want one. Now the hard part - how much will it cost? I love my 05 LT even with 84K miles on the clock and there is no logical reason to trade her nor will I get what she's worth. But then there is no logical reason to ride motorcycles. I'm not going to look at any of the new post or pictures again and am definitely not going to look at one when they arrive at the dealers. Honest!! What is it that makes a grown man, who some might dare refer to as a senior citizen, act like a teenager in heat? Could it be a new K1600 GT/L?????????

#19 · (Edited)
Changes

Looks like the electric stand is gone. With the size of those side bags there better be some sort of good engine/bike fall over protection. If not, people will be purchasing new side bags at a fast clip.

Also, as someone stated long before, the blinker switches are changed to the universal ones. I wonder if there is a turn canceling feature like on the Hondas.

Any idea if those strips along the side of the front wheel well are actually lights - or are they just reflectors? (Got the answer - they're blinkers)

Dutchman- thanks for the picture link!

I will quit my job, live off the land, and ride this bike all over. Not sure what I'm doing with the dog, though. Less concerned about the girlfriend...

#20 ·
Re: Changes

Travis said:
Looks like the electric stand is gone. With the size of those side bags there better be some sort of good engine/bike fall over protection. If not, people will be purchasing new side bags at a fast clip.
The website shows small crash bars for the engine -- mount just forward of the cylinder bank. No rear protection shown yet.

Travis said:
Any idea if those strips along the side of the front wheel well are actually lights - or are they just reflectors?
Those are the turn signals -- strips of yellow LED lights.

#21 ·
It appears that those (IMO, fugly) chrome blobs beneath the ends of the dash may be useful after all -- I believe one of the pics I saw showed that they are pivoting air deflectors -- same purpose as the K12LT under mirror wings, except they appear to pivot outward to catch air and channel it in/up toward the rider.

#23 ·
Re: Changes

Travis said:
My hope is that with the lower seat height that tip over will be less of an issue. I never dumped my FJR.

#25 ·
LarryP said:
Toyota has had a lot of problems with this.
No, they have not. Not ever. They had a problem with a mechanical part of the gas pedal getting stuck under certain conditions and they had a problem with gas pedals getting stuck when owners used more than one floormat (or incorreclty installed mats), but there has never been a single documented instance of a problem with the throttle by wire system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.