LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 162 Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:58 am Thread Starter

Not an LT

Gee wizzz...
It's not an LT.
It's a K16GT/L.
Different bikes.
Why talk like the LT is dead?
Do you think BMW will produce another LT?
Of course they will!
Give them another year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 162 Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 1:19 pm

Re: Not an LT

It's OK.........it's not like the LTs will disappear the dog gone things will probably out last me..........and still beat most other big bikes down the pike................Class don't just go away..............
post #3 of 162 Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 1:55 pm

Cool Re: Not an LT

It looks to me like BMW has dropped the LT and come up with a new bike, the 6-cyl GTL. If this is meant to be a "luxury touring" bike, then it is BMW's way of responding to the years of LT owners complaining about different things and providing multiple wish lists of what they would like to see on the "next" LT. Well, I guess we're getting what we wished for. As has been said, be careful of what you wish for, you might get it. Let's jump about 8 years down stream. I'll bet there will be a hard-core cadre of GTL lovers who bemoan the next model GTL that BMW decides to produce. People won't like the design,the lack of whatever, the addition of whatever, and so on. But golly gee whiz, it sure is fun to speculate. http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/images/icons/icon6.gif

post #4 of 162 Old Oct 6th, 2010, 10:15 pm

I'm glad I traded my 99 LT in for a New 09 LT......I don't think BMW will ever be able to top the LT as a Luxury Tourer..... Unless they put the 6 in the existing LT Frame.....

1975 Suzuki GT 185
1978 Kawasaki KZ 1000
1975 Kawasaki H2 750
1978 Kawasaki 650 SR
1999 BMW K1200LT
2009 BMW K1200LT
?????????????????
post #5 of 162 Old Oct 7th, 2010, 1:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I will place my money on the K1600GTL being it as far as top touring bikes go from BMW for a while. The gap between the use profile of the GTL and the old LT is too small to justify it. The incremental sales - people that want a BMW tourer but don't fancy the GTL or RT - wont justify the development and production costs.

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"You will now be thrown into the Obamaucracy. In his belly you will find a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly taxed to death over the next four years."
post #6 of 162 Old Oct 7th, 2010, 1:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhd
I will place my money on the K1600GTL being it as far as top touring bikes go from BMW for a while. The gap between the use profile of the GTL and the old LT is too small to justify it. The incremental sales - people that want a BMW tourer but don't fancy the GTL or RT - wont justify the development and production costs.
I agree.

I don't have the stats with regard to global sales of the LT, but I have to believe that the US market was their largest - our vast geographical size and road system suits the LT, but in Europe it seems that the lighter "naked" bikes are much more prevalent. There has been a macro shift in the US to Adventure bikes, which obviously BMW plays well in.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see BMW building a true replacement for the LT.

Scott

In the garage:
'12 K1600 GTL (took delivery 5/25)
'12 Ducati Monster EVO 1100
'08 Big Dog Pitbull
'79 Honda CX 500 Deluxe (restored)

Past:
'09 BMW R1200R
'09 BMW K1200 LT
'08 Victory Vision
'06 Yamaha FJR1300
'03 BMW K1200 LT
'02 Gold Wing 1800
'98 Yamaha Roadstar
'96 GoldWing 1500
'79 Honda CX500
'77 GoldWing 1000

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 162 Old Oct 7th, 2010, 3:24 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Appears to be a new time for BMW,this bike is retro from a touring gtl, to a gt without the trunk, or a gt sport with no trunk or saddle bags, Id be interested in the sport model but the price difference would have to be great enough to justify this, For the record i will never sell my 2007 k1200lt, its very passanger freindly for comfort, if you checkthe utubevideos you will see the passanger hanging onto the pilot,BMW need to offer arm rests,we will see,,anyway this would never happen on my lt...Matthew
post #8 of 162 Old Oct 7th, 2010, 6:34 pm

I wonder if it will have as bad a seat at the LT. It"s a BMW, of course it will.

Ultra LT
post #9 of 162 Old Oct 7th, 2010, 9:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraLT
I wonder if it will have as bad a seat at the LT. It"s a BMW, of course it will.

Ultra LT
....how else are the aftermarket farkels guys suppose to make money?

Scott

In the garage:
'12 K1600 GTL (took delivery 5/25)
'12 Ducati Monster EVO 1100
'08 Big Dog Pitbull
'79 Honda CX 500 Deluxe (restored)

Past:
'09 BMW R1200R
'09 BMW K1200 LT
'08 Victory Vision
'06 Yamaha FJR1300
'03 BMW K1200 LT
'02 Gold Wing 1800
'98 Yamaha Roadstar
'96 GoldWing 1500
'79 Honda CX500
'77 GoldWing 1000

post #10 of 162 Old Oct 7th, 2010, 9:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraLT

Ultra LT
As Michael James Vincenzo Gubitosi (Robert Blake) used to say:

"...and you can take dat to the bank!"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Baretta.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	29154  

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #11 of 162 Old Oct 7th, 2010, 9:26 pm

Just another sales pitch
post #12 of 162 Old Oct 8th, 2010, 6:36 pm

One thing for sure is that this new K1600GTL does NOT seem to be targeting Goldwing crowd. So no more competion with Goldwing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabadger
Gee wizzz...
It's not an LT.
It's a K16GT/L.
Different bikes.
Of course they will!
Give them another year.

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

post #13 of 162 Old Oct 8th, 2010, 6:55 pm

Hell, we ride a 10 year old LT and will continue to do so for many more years.
We certainly can't afford to buy a new one now anyways. If things turn around in a few years just maybe BMW may address once again a full dresser for the pure touring crowd.

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #14 of 162 Old Oct 8th, 2010, 6:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadking04
Just another sales pitch
Sales pitch?

I didn't bring up the topic gumbo boy... nice sniping though.

Some guys know how to ruin all the fun.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #15 of 162 Old Oct 8th, 2010, 7:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKas
One thing for sure is that this new K1600GTL does NOT seem to be targeting Goldwing crowd. So no more competion with Goldwing?
I'm on record as saying I'm not a typical Goldwing owner, but I own a 09 Goldwing and had an 05 before. I also have a 2010 Concours (had a FJR before it). To me, the new GTL may be the perfect bike. What I need is a good two-up bike. But my wife only rides with me six months of the year. The other six months I take the Goldwing out just to keep it from dry-rotting in the garage.

With the new GTL as my two-up bike, I can see actually enjoying it by myself as an alternate to my Concours. I'm already chomping at the bit to see the new GTL and what it would take (financially) to go from my Goldwing to the GTL next year.

Jim
--------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2017 KTM Superduke GT
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
post #16 of 162 Old Oct 8th, 2010, 10:08 pm

My 09 LT is going to hard to part with. I sure like the dash on the GTL...being able to see the GPS display during the day is an improvement if the engineering is proper...We shall see
post #17 of 162 Old Oct 8th, 2010, 10:10 pm

Oh...I forgot...A GTL is not an LT by any other letters...period...end of story
post #18 of 162 Old Oct 8th, 2010, 10:18 pm

I view the LT in the same light as the old Cadillac land yachts. The Coupe DeVille's have been replaced with CTX, and SRX and whatever 3 letter combos..I'm sure this switch from traditional Caddys alienated their old customers and no doubt making the shift cost Caddy old customers but gained a new ones.. This bike will do the same for BMW. This is a new generation of sporty touring bikes.

The LT suffered from horrendous depreciation and poor resale value compared to other BMW models in my market. We'll see how this one fares.

For me, this bike hits the mark. I never cared for the LT. Different strokes and all...

I also tried the Goldwing and it was a strange bike to ride.. I felt I was in a car / bike hybrid. Lovely engine, but I did not care for how the bike handled or the riding sensation. At least the LT didn't feel like you're driving a car on 2 wheels.
post #19 of 162 Old Oct 10th, 2010, 6:05 am

Here's hoping that BMW is fully aware of what we won't readily admit - passenger comfort is the key. Said passenger, in many cases, yays or nays a bike purchase.
Aging population + demanding SO's = an LT or such in the future.

2003 R1200CL Silver
1999 Honda Valkyrie Interstate poor man's six-banger
2008 Yamaha Venture - Sold after 6 months; I already miss the casette deck
2003 LT - Gone to be mated with a sidecar
1999 LT - Gone but not forgotten; my first Beemer
post #20 of 162 Old Oct 10th, 2010, 10:59 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMeister
Here's hoping that BMW is fully aware of what we won't readily admit - passenger comfort is the key. Said passenger, in many cases, yays or nays a bike purchase.
Can't agree more.

Wife "almost" said yes to the RT, but we were both un-happy of the vibrations after a 2-weeks test. Mostly her.... I was complaining more for the lack of power.

Wife said no for the GT (seat comfort, air protection...) and I immediately found it less comfortable than the RT, after just 3 days. Although I loved the engine thrill.

Wife loved the LT comfort, and so did I

So, did I really choose by my own jugement? Almost yes

'12 R 1200 RT
'06 K 1200 LT (sold)
'05 Cagiva Navigator 1000 (sold)
'90 Kawasaki ZX10 (sold)
'82 Moto Guzzi V35 II (sold)
'82 Benelli Export 3V
post #21 of 162 Old Oct 10th, 2010, 6:16 pm

I believe that murmurs of the 1600GT's shortcomings will be proven wrong. This new engine will give the bike unrivalled smoothness and plenty of power. Hate to tell you but this IS the LT's replacement. I don't think BMW is targeting the Goldwing crowd as much as they are targeting everyone else that's in the market for a Luxury Tourer. The 'over 60' buyers that want an auto centerstand and a reverse gear is a shrinking market and IMO, BMW is going after the younger demographic that are considering a luxury tourer for the first time, not the LT rider that's already riding an LT for the past 10 years.

2010 Honda NT700V
1978 Honda CB400T II

Formerly
2011 R1200 RT
'04 R1150 RT-P
'04 R1200CLC
'06 Triumph Scrambler
'02 K1200LT
'01 R1200C Montana
'00 H-D Dyna Defender

" Twas a woman that drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! " - W.C. Fields
post #22 of 162 Old Oct 10th, 2010, 8:13 pm

What I noticed in all representation of GTL no words meaning that LT days are ower ,
they just push the Lt talks to the side, My two cents, when GTL get it's space, NEW LT IS COMING and I'm waiting for it

2005 K1200LT
2002 r1150gs Just for fun
1997 Heritage Soft tail Resting in Europe
1996 Heritage Soft tail For my Ego days
post #23 of 162 Old Oct 10th, 2010, 8:20 pm

The LT is a very good touring bike but it is a 12 year old design and it shows. The GPS is an add on that gets washed out in certin light so does the dash. The seat is unfit for touring. Although I rode it to Alaska this year the seat has been changed for a trip to Virginia.
Is the LT better than a Wing? I think so. I will be getting the GTL or GT as soon as it is available.
Will BMW put out a flawless bike? Maybe.
Will the GTL or GT be perfect? No.
Will we find faults? Yes Lets hope that BMW and our dealer are responsive to any problems that arive.
post #24 of 162 Old Oct 15th, 2010, 10:28 am

Quote:
Gee wizzz...
It's not an LT.
It's a K16GT/L.
Different bikes.
I'll take the contrary position --

I believe the K16GTL *IS* the new LT -- delivered in exactly the form we all have been asking for!

For years, what have the vast majority of us asked for?

An LT that is ~ 100 lbs lighter than the K12LT. Check.

An LT with the weather protection of the K12LT. Check.

Luggage capacity as least as big as the K12LT. Check.

Luggage with better internal shape than the K12LT. Check. (looks like the saddlebags won't have nearly the convoluted internal shape as the LT's - particularly the practicality-sucking right bag CD changer arrangement).

An LT with a far better integrated electronics suite. Check.

Passenger accommodations as least as good as the K12LT. Check. (in fact, it looks like they paid very good attention to passenger comfort -- look at the contouring and width of the rear seat, and the moving of the trunk back 30 mm as compared to the GT).

The "King of the Road" presence of the LT. Check. (the GTL isn't just a K1300GT with two more cylinders -- look at the pics with people on it, or Jay Leno's intro -- he's a big guy, and the GTL is obviously a big bike -- bigger than a K13GT; more like the K13's big brother, the football player)

Top-level touring conveniences, like the LT's central locking. Check.

Etc. ...

IMO, a lot of folks have been fooled by the GTL's styling similarity to the K13GT, Kaw 1400 Concours, etc into thinking this is a phyically smaller bike than the K12LT. Doesn't look like it to me.

So, I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting on a new "real LT"-class vehicle. It's already here.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #25 of 162 Old Oct 15th, 2010, 11:35 am

I agree, This is what I have been thinking of could make my 06 Lt a Better bike. I think this will be the LT's replacement. Can't wait to see one in person up claose. I want one.
post #26 of 162 Old Oct 15th, 2010, 3:16 pm

Garage

I believe that it all depends on what you were expecting as "change" from a new LT.

Some wanted a lighter, more agile bike withouth losing the comfort and luxus of the K12LT: those will be happy with the GTL.

Some wanted a step up towards the 'Wing type: those will still wait for another bigger bike.

'12 R 1200 RT
'06 K 1200 LT (sold)
'05 Cagiva Navigator 1000 (sold)
'90 Kawasaki ZX10 (sold)
'82 Moto Guzzi V35 II (sold)
'82 Benelli Export 3V
post #27 of 162 Old Oct 15th, 2010, 3:37 pm

I keep asking myself the same question:

"Why do I need more power (6cyc 1600CC) at a lighter bike than LT?"

To be able to pass the sports bikes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrado68
I believe that it all depends on what you were expecting as "change" from a new LT.

Some wanted a lighter, more agile bike withouth losing the comfort and luxus of the K12LT: those will be happy with the GTL.

Some wanted a step up towards the 'Wing type: those will still wait for another bigger bike.

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

post #28 of 162 Old Oct 15th, 2010, 5:13 pm

Oh yeah! Let's pass the sport bikes!

I'm a Kaw 1400 owner (as well as other upright sports bikes).

The first BMW that really caught my imagination recently was the 1000RR. It is priced right but is a bit rough on my back (I'm old ... ish ...) It has taken sportbikes to a new level!

I lust for the GT version of the 1600. I will live on this bike! It is a 6! It will be silky smooth, with awesome torque. I will take it to the twisties. I will take it on trips. I will take it to the track. I will feed and water it, clean up after it and sleep with it.

Please Father Beemer ... price it close enough to my meager ability to pay for it that I still can make my alimony payments. Because if it's not, my ex-wife may be very unhappy!

KJ
post #29 of 162 Old Oct 28th, 2010, 7:54 pm

Talking Re: Not an LT

So I said to myself back in 2004, "I wonder if a new Wing would be a better bike than my K12?" At that time I traded off the 01' K12 that had been to Alaska and all over North America and to a few CCR's for a new Whing. A few years later I was facing retirement so I traded that bike off for a 2008 Whing and was gonna ride off into the sunset but, noooooooooo. Now BMW does a fix on their drivetrain issues and coincidentally ties one heck of a nice motorcycle on top of it? I may have to take a good long look at the new GTL as a way to tour around the planet? This being a motorcyclist is really a hoot now isn't it?

Flint

p.s. Hi Mark.

06 Suzuki Burgman
07 Honda VTX 1800 Neo
07 Suzuki V Strom 1000
08 GoldWing
post #30 of 162 Old Oct 28th, 2010, 9:25 pm

Hi Flint!!!

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #31 of 162 Old Oct 29th, 2010, 1:17 pm

"HI Steve"

06 Suzuki Burgman
07 Honda VTX 1800 Neo
07 Suzuki V Strom 1000
08 GoldWing
post #32 of 162 Old Oct 29th, 2010, 1:55 pm

Sorry kids ... but ... the current LT is about to go the way of the K1100LT. Not much talk about it anymore, is there? In a few short years, the K1200LT will be thought of as "a great bike in it's day". But there won't be "another" LT to take it's place. The K1600GTL is BMW's new luxury tourer.

I do find it quite peculiar how so many are judging the bike without as much as seeing it and/or sitting on it yet.
post #33 of 162 Old Oct 29th, 2010, 2:02 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2
I do find it quite peculiar how so many are judging the bike without as much as seeing it and/or sitting on it yet.
I"m with you on this one Joe. I put my money down just so after I ride it & if I like it I will not have to wait as long to get the bike. If I do not like it, I get my money back & keep riding the LT till something better comes along.

Stevie Shreeve
post #34 of 162 Old Oct 29th, 2010, 2:18 pm

And, didn't the same (I guess frenzy isn't the appropo word) 'interest' happen during the promo and pre-delivery of the GT series? Or wuz it post-delivery??
post #35 of 162 Old Oct 29th, 2010, 2:40 pm

Quote:
I can see that point of view... but my own perspective is this... bought an R1200GS --- phenomenal bike - one of the best bikes of all time; I got a K1200R, another great bike... (and was acknowledged by a number of awards as well).... Now let us think about the rest of their portfolio:
R1200RT - by many considered one of the best in its class (and repeatedly wins many tests)
K1200/1300GT - another fantastic bike
S1000RR -- well, this is easy... class-changing bike again...
... and one can continue.

In my mind, BMW does know their shit on how to build motorcycles. If I do not like the K1600GTL, then I do not have many other options except for the Wing, a used LT, or the RT, or the Concours..... and I think the K1600GTL will be better than any of those. I do not think BMW is going to fail on this mission (except possibly pricing themselves out of reach). If they are launching their premium bike, then I am sure they are ready.

Everyone is different. My only sentiment is that this might not be that risky decision - at least not in my mind... Heck, what can go wrong (except reliability and price;-)) with a lighter, faster, six-cylinder, and to me gorgeous bike...

But I will be keeping my GS and K-R...
post #36 of 162 Old Oct 29th, 2010, 3:58 pm

Quote:
Sorry kids ... but ... the current LT is about to go the way of the K1100LT. Not much talk about it anymore, is there? In a few short years, the K1200LT will be thought of as "a great bike in it's day". But there won't be "another" LT to take it's place. The K1600GTL is BMW's new luxury tourer.

Oh I do intend to give it a go, that for sure. It looks like a blast.
It even reminds me of my old K100RT.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #37 of 162 Old Oct 31st, 2010, 5:18 am
WGC

I must agreed that the new GTL is NOT and LT and will not compete with Gold Wing or Harley competitors. For those who want a sport tourer then this is it but for those of us who want a Luxury Tourer then this is not it.

Just take a careful look at your "old" LT ( if you own one) and compare it to the GTL and there are some major differences ONE being the electroc hydraulic stand being absent. Once you have one of these who wants to go back to the huff and puff of a manual stand ?

Having just done a 3100km trip with a friend of mine ( we have had 4 LT's between us ) we are not about to rush off and order a GTL to replace our LT's and unless BM brings out a true LT then we're going to be riding our LTs for a lot longer
post #38 of 162 Old Oct 31st, 2010, 7:06 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGC
I must agreed that the new GTL is NOT and LT and will not compete with Gold Wing or Harley competitors. For those who want a sport tourer then this is it but for those of us who want a Luxury Tourer then this is not it.

Just take a careful look at your "old" LT ( if you own one) and compare it to the GTL and there are some major differences ONE being the electroc hydraulic stand being absent. Once you have one of these who wants to go back to the huff and puff of a manual stand ?

Having just done a 3100km trip with a friend of mine ( we have had 4 LT's between us ) we are not about to rush off and order a GTL to replace our LT's and unless BM brings out a true LT then we're going to be riding our LTs for a lot longer
A POWER Center stand does not make a LT a Luxury Tourer either. To me what make the LT a Luxury Tourer is the fact that you can ride hundreds or even thousands of miles in comfort. How do you or anyone else know if the K1600GTL will NOT be a Luxury Tourer. The only way to know it to wait till it comes out & ride one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGC
there are some major differences
What do you consider are the major differences? Just curious what you think they are.

Stevie Shreeve
post #39 of 162 Old Oct 31st, 2010, 8:18 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Gee wizzz...
It's not an LT.
It's a K16GT/L.
Different bikes.
Of course they will!
Give them another year.
I rather doubt we will see another LT anytime soon, and likely not for a long time. The market for luxury touring bikes appears to be shrinking, although this surprises me a little as the baby boomers are just starting to retire in big numbers. What market their is, Honda owns. I think BMW has thrown in the towel.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #40 of 162 Old Oct 31st, 2010, 8:25 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint
So I said to myself back in 2004, "I wonder if a new Wing would be a better bike than my K12?" At that time I traded off the 01' K12 that had been to Alaska and all over North America and to a few CCR's for a new Whing. A few years later I was facing retirement so I traded that bike off for a 2008 Whing and was gonna ride off into the sunset but, noooooooooo. Now BMW does a fix on their drivetrain issues and coincidentally ties one heck of a nice motorcycle on top of it? I may have to take a good long look at the new GTL as a way to tour around the planet? This being a motorcyclist is really a hoot now isn't it?

Flint

p.s. Hi Mark.
How do you know the final drive has been fixed? It has been changed, but are you sure it has been fixed?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #41 of 162 Old Oct 31st, 2010, 8:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
A POWER Center stand does not make a LT a Luxury Tourer either. To me what make the LT a Luxury Tourer is the fact that you can ride hundreds or even thousands of miles in comfort.
The R1200GS fits that description. Would you consider it a luxury tourer? I wouldn't. It's a tourer among other things but the label "luxury" doesn't seem to apply. In regards to cars, 'luxury' denotes expensive amenities that are not needed but are nice to have. Power center-stand and power reverse fit that description. A comfortable seat and wind protection do not; those are far more basic things. Those are touring features, not luxury features.

I think the radio, overpowered ultra-smooth (probably) engine, color screen, and adaptive headlight do conform to the "luxury" label though. But it's true that the bike is missing a couple of luxury features the LT had.
post #42 of 162 Old Oct 31st, 2010, 9:53 am

I don't know that the rear drive has been fixed any more than I know the neighbors Ford won't set itself on fire and burn down the entire neighborhood. I would just have to have a little faith that my luck will hold and adhere to maintenance schedules and all will be well?

Considering the status of fuel issues around the globe I feel that we may be on the verge of some major changes in our two wheeled vehicles? Honda hasn't come forward as of yet with the "new" Gold Wing since they moved their manufacturing of it back to Japan. In the last three years they have discontinued production of the VTX 1800 and the VTX 1300 for the new Fury bikes in three different modes. It still uses the 1300 V twin engine but, there is no longer an 1800 cc V twin from Honda. Suzuki didn't import any 2010 Strom bikes and were content to live off the surplus they had available for 2010.

What makes a good touring bike? Does it have to weigh over 800 pounds and be totally awkward to move around in the garage or a parking spot? I've had Harley's and Honda's and BMW's in the touring style and they were all very heavy and hard to push around at a fuel pump. Under 5 mph none of them were a ballerina. So is it possible that I could have a touring bike that offers me all of the amenities I seek and yet it isn't close to half a ton as it sits there on it's side stand?

I spent a few years on BMW's and I never had a failure that stopped me on the side of the road. I did stop at dealerships and have to get one or maybe two new tires but, I knew when I left home that a set a skins would be part of it. I always appreciated the tire racks at the BMW rallies that would put new rubber on my bike while I wandered among the vendors looking for a gadget. I had a couple different Yamaha FJR's and that big hit of power on a "touring" bike was a hoot but, the comfort just wasn't there for me for the long haul. Can the new GTL be the powerful, comfortable road rocket of the future? We don't know yet but, I am very hopeful.

Flint

06 Suzuki Burgman
07 Honda VTX 1800 Neo
07 Suzuki V Strom 1000
08 GoldWing
post #43 of 162 Old Oct 31st, 2010, 10:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
But it's true that the bike is missing a couple of luxury features the LT had.
The real question is: Are these features not on the 1600 because the bike just doesn't need them. Let's not forget that the first 6 years of the LT, that "Luxury Tourer" existed without the powerstand.
post #44 of 162 Old Oct 31st, 2010, 10:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGC

OH MY GOD - WHAT HAVE I BEEN THINKING THE PAST SIX YEARS? I've owned two GL1800 Goldwings and this morning I find out that they are not "Luxury Touring" bikes because they don't have an electric stand!

I've been reading on this forum and the Goldwing forum all the threads about the new 1600, and saying it's not a competitor to the GW or an LT replacement, and I must say that I just don't understand. I honestly think the reason everyone is saying that is because the rear trunk is not an integral part of the bike, so everyone literally sees the bike as a sport tourer and let's that simple difference tell them it is not a true touring bike in the sense of a Goldwing or LT. I personally don't see it that way, but to each their own.

Jim
--------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2017 KTM Superduke GT
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
post #45 of 162 Old Oct 31st, 2010, 11:46 am
Lifetime Supporter

I just want to ride the damn thing, cant wait to see what it will do, Im opting for a complete stripped down k1600 and push it to the limits in the twisties, cant wait to see what the k1600 will do, Im in the market for a full optional, high tech, luxurry sport bike.
post #46 of 162 Old Oct 31st, 2010, 12:00 pm

Cool Re: Not an LT

I FINALLY figured it out!!! Here's the GTL that y'all want.

post #47 of 162 Old Oct 31st, 2010, 12:03 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint
I don't know that the rear drive has been fixed any more than I know the neighbors Ford won't set itself on fire and burn down the entire neighborhood. I would just have to have a little faith that my luck will hold and adhere to maintenance schedules and all will be well?

Considering the status of fuel issues around the globe I feel that we may be on the verge of some major changes in our two wheeled vehicles? Honda hasn't come forward as of yet with the "new" Gold Wing since they moved their manufacturing of it back to Japan. In the last three years they have discontinued production of the VTX 1800 and the VTX 1300 for the new Fury bikes in three different modes. It still uses the 1300 V twin engine but, there is no longer an 1800 cc V twin from Honda. Suzuki didn't import any 2010 Strom bikes and were content to live off the surplus they had available for 2010.

What makes a good touring bike? Does it have to weigh over 800 pounds and be totally awkward to move around in the garage or a parking spot? I've had Harley's and Honda's and BMW's in the touring style and they were all very heavy and hard to push around at a fuel pump. Under 5 mph none of them were a ballerina. So is it possible that I could have a touring bike that offers me all of the amenities I seek and yet it isn't close to half a ton as it sits there on it's side stand?

I spent a few years on BMW's and I never had a failure that stopped me on the side of the road. I did stop at dealerships and have to get one or maybe two new tires but, I knew when I left home that a set a skins would be part of it. I always appreciated the tire racks at the BMW rallies that would put new rubber on my bike while I wandered among the vendors looking for a gadget. I had a couple different Yamaha FJR's and that big hit of power on a "touring" bike was a hoot but, the comfort just wasn't there for me for the long haul. Can the new GTL be the powerful, comfortable road rocket of the future? We don't know yet but, I am very hopeful.

Flint
I beleive the issue with new models is more related to the economy than to the fuel situation, but both are certainly global issues that we must deal with.

It will be curious to see which direction Honda goes with the next generation Gold Wing. Will they up the ante further from the current 1800/6? Or will they move more towards a smaller, more agile machine a la BMW with the GTL? Time will tell. Now that they have the Luxury Touring niche pretty mcuh to themselves, they have a lot of flexibility.

I am also hopeful that BMW has resolved the FD issue, but I think we need at least 5 years of history on the new design to be sure. I don't know if this is the same FD that has been on the new 4 cylinder K bikes since they came out or has it been modified again for the 1600s?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #48 of 162 Old Oct 31st, 2010, 12:07 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
The real question is: Are these features not on the 1600 because the bike just doesn't need them. Let's not forget that the first 6 years of the LT, that "Luxury Tourer" existed without the powerstand.
I think that is the whole point: Luxury is always about things yon don't NEED. Luxury cars, luxury yachts, and luxury touring bikes are all about having that which nobody really needs!

When you have only what you need, then you don't have a luxury machine pretty much by definition!!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #49 of 162 Old Oct 31st, 2010, 1:22 pm

I never really had any problem with the side stand on mine as long as I checked that the bike was on a fairly level surface when I initiated putting it up. It was entirely possible to be on a surface that was slanting away from you and then jacking the bike right out of your balance point and over on it's off side. Of coarse this is also possible with the mega Saki sucker that I am currently using for a touring bike.

There were times in the past when there was a blown final drive and the owner/rider was told at a dealership that there wasn't currently one available in the United States. Makes that belt drive on the HD's seem like a good idea since you can have a spare in the saddlebags.

The light truck, er, uh large trophy, uh, LT is similar to the wing in the broken rear end respect except the rear ends on the wings don't usually break they just blow a seal and have to have it replaced at a dealership. I just have to think that BMW has designed the rear ends in accordance with their ability to make horse power and will work just fine.

Flint

06 Suzuki Burgman
07 Honda VTX 1800 Neo
07 Suzuki V Strom 1000
08 GoldWing
post #50 of 162 Old Oct 31st, 2010, 1:28 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
I think BMW has thrown in the towel.
I don't necessarily agree. I just think they have decided to move back to their European roots and offer a bike that combines luxury with agility, and offers both in equal measure.

The LT handles great, for a bike of it's size. But you have to have that qualifier in there. The LT is still a huge, heavy, and sometimes unwieldy bike. That's why you need power center stands and reverse.

Many of us "younger" riders have moved away from the LT, not because of how great it was on the highway, but simply because we were outriding it on the twistier roads. We still want to be cradled in luxury and comfort, but also want to be able to push the bike and have it hold its line, especially when the road gets all sinuous.

I enjoyed both my LTs immensely, but I just got tired of constantly bumping up against the bike's limits. I found myself pushing the LT on most every ride, and always wanting just a little bit more.

To me, that's what defines a BMW. Cutting edge technology and extreme comfort, laid onto a motor and chassis that can hold its own against much smaller, "sportier" bikes.

And I think that's exactly what BMW has in mind with the GTL.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in