Hard to believe....but still no integrated bike to bike comm option?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old Jul 12th, 2010, 1:38 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy Hard to believe....but still no integrated bike to bike comm option??

It seems hard to believe that they're making all these improvements on the next generation LT, yet still no integrated solution for bike to bike communication. By now, you would think BMW would be offering a sound/entertainment system that had both an integrated CB (not a handlebar mounted CB made by J&M either) and an FM (GMRS) option.

Heck, Honda's had an integrated CB on the Goldwing for years now. Oh well....

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old Jul 12th, 2010, 4:23 pm

Re: Hard to believe....but still no integrated bike to bike comm option??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman
Ask the Wingers about their electric windshields. Oh, never mind, they don't have one.

And how do you know that they new GT's and LT's aren't coming with an integrated solution?
post #3 of 33 Old Jul 13th, 2010, 8:06 am Thread Starter

I guess I don't know for sure. But assumed if they were going to finally offer one...it would have been mentioned in the webBikeWorld write-up. I hear ya on the electric windscreen thing. I'm not bashing the LT dude. There's a reason (actually many) that I ride an LT instead of Wing. It's just disappointing that they don't add this functionality that so many of us use.

post #4 of 33 Old Jul 13th, 2010, 8:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2
Ask the Wingers about their electric windshields. Oh, never mind, they don't have one.
That's been my big complaint about the Wing. No electric windshield. Hell, they even have one on their 1300. How come the flagship doesn't? Maybe the upcoming rumored redesign of the wing next year will show some improvements. They need to streamline their looks, add the electric windshield, add a power assist center stand for the big thing, and beef up their poor front suspension. Then I'd consider another wing.
post #5 of 33 Old Jul 13th, 2010, 1:08 pm

CB's are illegal in Europe, it is a outdated technology that only Harley and Honda still use, one would wish that Harley and Honda would finally obsolete the cb and use frs/gmrs.............................JMO------------------------Kieth
post #6 of 33 Old Jul 13th, 2010, 3:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieth
CB's are illegal in Europe, it is a outdated technology that only Harley and Honda still use, one would wish that Harley and Honda would finally obsolete the cb and use frs/gmrs.............................JMO------------------------Kieth

Amen!

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CCR-'08

'62 Fender Jazz Bass-played often!
post #7 of 33 Old Jul 13th, 2010, 3:50 pm

Garage

Quote:
CB's are illegal in Europe,
are they?

We use them in Italy, but maybe we're the only illegal Country in Europe

'12 R 1200 RT
'06 K 1200 LT (sold)
'05 Cagiva Navigator 1000 (sold)
'90 Kawasaki ZX10 (sold)
'82 Moto Guzzi V35 II (sold)
'82 Benelli Export 3V
post #8 of 33 Old Jul 14th, 2010, 12:24 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbach
They need to streamline their looks, add the electric windshield, add a power assist center stand for the big thing, and beef up their poor front suspension.
Then they'd just have made an LT copy . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 33 Old Jul 14th, 2010, 6:53 am Thread Starter

Red face Re: Hard to believe....but still no integrated bike to bike comm option??

Quote:
CB's are illegal in Europe, it is a outdated technology that only Harley and Honda still use, Kieth
Don't forget that BMW has one too (the handlebar mounted unit made by J&M). No intent meant to start a debate about CB versus FM (FRS or GMRS) with this thread. Both have their good and bad points. The fact of the matter is...CB's are still in very wide use here in the US. If there's a traffic jam, I flip on the CB to listen to channel 19, and within seconds, I know what the problem is/was. It has also helped me avoid quite a number of backups by hearing about them well ahead of time on the CB, then simply routing around to avoid them. And emergency services still monitor CB channel 9 in most areas of the US. I know most have mobile phones these days (to beckon emergency services), but phone batteries do go flat from time to time. Say what you will about CB radios, but try doing all of that on your FRS/GMRS radio. Don't get me wrong, I like FRS/GMRS for their range, clarity and the fact that it's a bit more private (i.e. - don't have to listen to all of the truck drivers babbling/yelling/cursing, etc). Good and bad points to both...which is precisely why I suggested that BMW offer both.

Cheers, Toolman

post #10 of 33 Old Jul 14th, 2010, 7:35 am

A few years ago I attended a session at MaxBMW with a couple of BMW engineers who were in the US looking for feedback on the next-gen LT.
WRT music, com, etc. the consensus feedback from the attendees to the BMW gents was to build an integrated com system into the bike but leave out music players, radios, on board speakers, etc. Our recommendations were based on the fact that it is hard to keep up with changes (e.g. CD players installed when MP3 players are the new tech). The CB versus FRS debate is another example of how it is impossible to anticipate what the bike buyers will want. Maybe everyone will be wanting some kind of bluetooth bike-to-bike comm, and BMW will be left holding a bunch of BMW badged CB radios.
Hopefully, BMW will make the next-gen LT with a nice simple onboard comm system with easy plug-ins for inputs and outputs so everyone can plug in their favorite helmet speakers, earbuds, 2-way radios, music players, whatever.....
No more splicing speaker wires for AutoComm input, no more cassette tape adaptors, no more hunting for an input on the back of the radio, no more removing the CD player and installing an ice-whatever interface to hook up an Ipod.

Time will tell.

Quote:
Don't forget that BMW has one too (the handlebar mounted unit made by J&M). No intent meant to start a debate about CB versus FM (FRS or GMRS) with this thread. Both have their good and bad points. The fact of the matter is...CB's are still in very wide use here in the US. If there's a traffic jam, I flip on the CB to listen to channel 19, and within seconds, I know what the problem is/was. It has also helped me avoid quite a number of backups by hearing about them well ahead of time on the CB, then simply routing around to avoid them. And emergency services still monitor CB channel 9 in most areas of the US. I know most have mobile phones these days (to beckon emergency services), but phone batteries do go flat from time to time. Say what you will about CB radios, but try doing all of that on your FRS/GMRS radio. Don't get me wrong, I like FRS/GMRS for their range, clarity and the fact that it's a bit more private (i.e. - don't have to listen to all of the truck drivers babbling/yelling/cursing, etc). Good and bad points to both...which is precisely why I suggested that BMW offer both.

Cheers, Toolman
post #11 of 33 Old Jul 14th, 2010, 8:11 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I disagree. Sure FM is generally better than AM, but a good CB installation will generally provide better range than FRS and even GMRS and there are still many more people that use CB, at least in NA. In Europe, the situation is different as you say, but you can't make blanket statements like you made above and be correct world-wide. Personally, I'd like to see each/both be availalbe as modular options, not handle bar add-ons.

http://thetravelinsider.info/2003/0815.htm

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #12 of 33 Old Jul 14th, 2010, 8:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Then they'd just have made an LT copy . . .
Sans failing final drive.
post #13 of 33 Old Jul 14th, 2010, 12:32 pm

Quote:
Not so......we just use a different carrier.
post #14 of 33 Old Jul 15th, 2010, 7:09 am Thread Starter

Wink Re: Hard to believe....but still no integrated bike to bike comm option??

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
... the consensus feedback from the attendees to the BMW gents was to build an integrated com system into the bike but leave out music players, radios, on board speakers, etc. Our recommendations were based on the fact that it is hard to keep up with changes (e.g. CD players installed when MP3 players are the new tech).
No disrespect intended here, but because it's "hard to keep up with changes", the recommendation was to leave out a radio, and speakers? Seems absurd. Guess I could see where the cassette player would be prime for the chopping block, as it's largely gone the way of the 8-track, but even the CD player could have (and probably should have) been enhanced instead of eliminated...so as to allow the playing of discs with mp3 or wma files. Sorry, but this "hard to keep up" statement just seems like a lame excuse. Nobody said this stuff was easy. As they say..."If it were easy, we'd have the Girl Scouts do it"!! Can you imagine if Apple, IBM, and Microsoft used this excuse?

So, we'll continue to string all sort of components together, install RAM mounts everywhere to hold it all...and curse it all when we get RF interference, try to optimize the ad-hoc system we've built by finding the perfect device integrator cable, and a ground loop isolator for it all. I mean, heck, if they took all that fun away, we'd be relegated to just ride and enjoy..and that's just crazy talk. Sarcasm off....it's all in good fun.

Cheers all, Toolman

post #15 of 33 Old Jul 15th, 2010, 8:05 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
A few years ago I attended a session at MaxBMW with a couple of BMW engineers who were in the US looking for feedback on the next-gen LT.
WRT music, com, etc. the consensus feedback from the attendees to the BMW gents was to build an integrated com system into the bike but leave out music players, radios, on board speakers, etc. Our recommendations were based on the fact that it is hard to keep up with changes (e.g. CD players installed when MP3 players are the new tech). The CB versus FRS debate is another example of how it is impossible to anticipate what the bike buyers will want. Maybe everyone will be wanting some kind of bluetooth bike-to-bike comm, and BMW will be left holding a bunch of BMW badged CB radios.
Hopefully, BMW will make the next-gen LT with a nice simple onboard comm system with easy plug-ins for inputs and outputs so everyone can plug in their favorite helmet speakers, earbuds, 2-way radios, music players, whatever.....
No more splicing speaker wires for AutoComm input, no more cassette tape adaptors, no more hunting for an input on the back of the radio, no more removing the CD player and installing an ice-whatever interface to hook up an Ipod.

Time will tell.
Wow, that is unfortuate. Leaving out the speakers! You are kidding, right? I use the speakers all the time and adding aftermarket speakers to a bike is a real pain. I can see leaving off obsolete devices, but the bike should come with whatever is current at the time of its release. The fact that keeping up is hard is irrelevant.

Maybe they should leave off shaft final drive since that appears to be hard also. Chains are pretty easy...

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #16 of 33 Old Jul 15th, 2010, 8:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
Wow, that is unfortuate. Leaving out the speakers! You are kidding, right? I use the speakers all the time and adding aftermarket speakers to a bike is a real pain. I can see leaving off obsolete devices, but the bike should come with whatever is current at the time of its release. The fact that keeping up is hard is irrelevant.

Maybe they should leave off shaft final drive since that appears to be hard also. Chains are pretty easy...
No, not kidding. But hey, I'm just reporting what was said at the meeting. Who knows what BMW will do.
At the meeting I attended there wasn't a suggestion to do away with the radio reciever, and let's face it, that doesn't take much to include as it is integral to the comm system. The specific things that the group had no real use for were the CD player and the speakers. The comment about the CD player was that it takes up too much space, many people in attendance reporting having removed theirs. And what the group did want was an easier way to input multiple devices into the bike's comm system.
WRT speakers, the BMW engineers at the meeting had been hearing lots of complaints about the LT's weight, and no one at the particular focus group I attended cared about onboard speakers, being of the opinion that helmet speakers and earbuds are better options; folks who want onboard speakers maybe a small minority, there were none at this meeting; according to this group built in speakers add unnecessary weight relatively high on the bike. Maybe BMW will make speakers an option, or just give the OEM onboard speaker market to Honda and HarleyDavidson.....

Last edited by CharlieVT; Jul 15th, 2010 at 8:43 am.
post #17 of 33 Old Jul 15th, 2010, 10:14 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
No, not kidding. But hey, I'm just reporting what was said at the meeting. Who knows what BMW will do.
At the meeting I attended there wasn't a suggestion to do away with the radio reciever, and let's face it, that doesn't take much to include as it is integral to the comm system. The specific things that the group had no real use for were the CD player and the speakers. The comment about the CD player was that it takes up too much space, many people in attendance reporting having removed theirs. And what the group did want was an easier way to input multiple devices into the bike's comm system.
WRT speakers, the BMW engineers at the meeting had been hearing lots of complaints about the LT's weight, and no one at the particular focus group I attended cared about onboard speakers, being of the opinion that helmet speakers and earbuds are better options; folks who want onboard speakers maybe a small minority, there were none at this meeting; according to this group built in speakers add unnecessary weight relatively high on the bike. Maybe BMW will make speakers an option, or just give the OEM onboard speaker market to Honda and HarleyDavidson.....
I'm not sure what the context of the Max BMW session was, but often such sessions comprise self-selected group and are not a statistically valid sample of the population.

I trust that BMW knows this and has done more statistically valid voice of customer assessments.

I don't have the money or garage space for multiple motorcycles so my LT does double duty as a long distance tourer and a commuter bike. For LD I use the headsets, but for commuting I don't want to hook and unhook the cord for a 5 - 30 minute ride so I wear a different helmet and use the speakers. I use the speakers virtually EVERY ride. I will be a very unhappy camper if they omit them from a full-dress touring bike.

If people want a light bike with few accoutrements, buy an RT which is already offered or buy the GT. If BMW makes their top of the line touring bike into a lightweight stripper, then I will have to move elsewhere for my next touring bike.

I'm certainly in favor of having a few options packages and they could make the sound system optional for those who don't want a radio and speakers, but this complicates the manufacturing process and probably isn't cost effective for a low volume product such as this.

Like you said, who knows what BMW will actually do.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #18 of 33 Old Jul 15th, 2010, 12:07 pm

Quote:
If BMW makes their top of the line touring bike into a lightweight stripper, then I will have to move elsewhere for my next touring bike.
This is maybe the most prescient statement in all the threads in this newly born forum.

If I had wanted an RT or a GT, I'd have bought one.

'06 K1200LT Ocean Blue Metallic
'06 GL1800 Candy Black Cherry
Recovering Harley Rider

42 41.663' N / 73 38.651' W

post #19 of 33 Old Jul 15th, 2010, 3:46 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
If BMW makes their top of the line touring bike into a lightweight stripper, then I will have to move elsewhere for my next touring bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibleman
If I had wanted an RT or a GT, I'd have bought one.
And yet, there are lots of folks clamoring for BMW to take 100-150 lbs off the LT, yet retain its comfort and agility. Ya' can't please everybody.

I say wait another couple of years, and BMW will come out with a full Luxury Tourer based on the Slant/6 platform, with speakers, power center stand, remote locking, ground lighting, etc. Just don't bitch when it weighs 850 lbs and costs north of $30K.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #20 of 33 Old Jul 15th, 2010, 6:28 pm

Sorry, I made a statment that was a generality, it only applies to the UK where CB is illeagal did not realize other parts of europe allowed cb in some form or another. The problem with the CB is the AM bandwidth and it is just inherently noise, it seems to me if a CB does not have some noise to pick up and amplify it just makes it up. You are shooting at a moving target where gmrs seems to be pretty consistant. Kieth
post #21 of 33 Old Jul 15th, 2010, 8:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
And yet, there are lots of folks clamoring for BMW to take 100-150 lbs off the LT, yet retain its comfort and agility. Ya' can't please everybody.

I say wait another couple of years, and BMW will come out with a full Luxury Tourer based on the Slant/6 platform, with speakers, power center stand, remote locking, ground lighting, etc. Just don't bitch when it weighs 850 lbs and costs north of $30K.
True, but I am not one of them. I think they could shave 50 lbs from the LT with little to no loss of functionality.

I am not all that unhappy with the weight or cost of my LT as both were competitive with other bikes in the class. I would like a little more low-end power a la the GW and/or a lower first gear. Having just returned from a ride with 10 other bikes including a GW, Venture, Ultra Glide and several cruisers of various sizes, the pathetic launching ability of the LT was very obvious. Every other bike there would easily walk away from stop lights leaving me in the dust if I did a normal launch (revs no more than 1,500 RPM). I would have to rev to more than 3 grand and dump the clutch to match what the others could do with a casual start.

Things like this are easily corrected and don't require adding a lot of weight or cost, just more appropriate design decisions (gearing appropriate to full-up touring and a wet clutch!).

I don't think we even needed two more cylinders, but I understand BMW wanting to match Honda in this regard. It will be fun to see what the GTL amounts to, but I just hope they don't screw up the LT niche too much.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #22 of 33 Old Jul 15th, 2010, 9:03 pm

Speaking of bike-2-bike...

I just picked up a discontinued '09 LT (my dad did the same), and they loaded it up with all the bells and whistles, but the dealers sum knowledge of the VOICE II amounts to squat. I am trying to prepare ourselves for an upcoming ride where we NEED bike-2-bike. Went out and bought some Midland GXT1000's, secured a FCC license for 5watt channels, and now need to get cables and PTT button. I am using a cheapy radio-shack momentary switch to close the PTT loop, and it works for testing purposes. However, in my extensive testing and research, I have yet to come across a definitive pin-out on the VOICE II.

I found a schematic from Bob Weir, which was great, but I seem to have problems getting the wiring he suggests for the Midland to work.

Any ideas?
RCGarr
post #23 of 33 Old Jul 16th, 2010, 12:25 pm

Quote:
Yeah, I like Unicorns too.

Honestly, if the LT had a lower center of gravity, you wouldn't care about the weight.

My Wing weighs more than my LT (on paper), yet under 5mph and stopped you'd never know it. The Wing feels waaaaay lighter.

Since I don't stop or ride that slow much, I don't give a damn about the weight.

'06 K1200LT Ocean Blue Metallic
'06 GL1800 Candy Black Cherry
Recovering Harley Rider

42 41.663' N / 73 38.651' W

post #24 of 33 Old Jul 16th, 2010, 3:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibleman
Yeah, I like Unicorns too.

Honestly, if the LT had a lower center of gravity, you wouldn't care about the weight.

My Wing weighs more than my LT (on paper), yet under 5mph and stopped you'd never know it. The Wing feels waaaaay lighter.

Since I don't stop or ride that slow much, I don't give a damn about the weight.
Yea weight is only an issue when riding two up in a crowded parking lot for my wing. I'm watching this new 6cyl bmw with anticipation, but if it does not have the comforts I want it will be a new wing in my garage. Weight is really not the key issue unless you drop her.
post #25 of 33 Old Jul 17th, 2010, 5:17 am

Garage

I think that weight reduction is the only way to have better low speed handling without changing the ride position. I don't want a lower seat like the wing, because it will kill the high speed touring capabilities of the LT, that I love.

On the other hand, I also don't want a GT-style seat, best for sport touring but not as good as the LT on long 2-up tours.

So, what's left to improve the handling? Weight!

Just a little, and not top priority for me. Low rev torque is my only real request for a new bike which, for all the rest, could be exactly as my LT :-)

'12 R 1200 RT
'06 K 1200 LT (sold)
'05 Cagiva Navigator 1000 (sold)
'90 Kawasaki ZX10 (sold)
'82 Moto Guzzi V35 II (sold)
'82 Benelli Export 3V
post #26 of 33 Old Jul 17th, 2010, 6:48 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrado68
I think that weight reduction is the only way to have better low speed handling without changing the ride position. I don't want a lower seat like the wing, because it will kill the high speed touring capabilities of the LT, that I love.

On the other hand, I also don't want a GT-style seat, best for sport touring but not as good as the LT on long 2-up tours.

So, what's left to improve the handling? Weight!

Just a little, and not top priority for me. Low rev torque is my only real request for a new bike which, for all the rest, could be exactly as my LT :-)
Yes, weight reduction is one option, but not the only option. Another is to lower the CG. My Voyager XII had the gas tank under the seats and the airbox and air filter up where the LT gas tank lives. The Voyager also had the battery up there and that is heavy, but much lighter than 6+ gallons of gas. And this made the air cleaner and battery MUCH easier to service.

It seems to me that BMW could do some re-architecting of the LT and use techniques such as Buell used to lower the weight. They could move the monoshock under the bike (thought that might complicate a power centerstand), move the gas tank to under the seat area, and place lighter things such as the fuzes, relays, air filter, etc., up where the gas tank is now.

Losing weight is the best option, but even if not a lot of weight can be eliminated, if it could be relocated lower that could also help a lot.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #27 of 33 Old Jul 18th, 2010, 7:56 am
Bouncer

Quote:
It seems hard to believe that they're making all these improvements on the next generation LT, yet still no integrated solution for bike to bike communication. By now, you would think BMW would be offering a sound/entertainment system that had both an integrated CB (not a handlebar mounted CB made by J&M either) and an FM (GMRS) option.

Why in God's name would you want BMW to integrate comms? CB, so 1970s. And the GW system isn't as great as everyone seems to think it is. Give me the ability to customize my system to my needs, not dumbed down to the teddy bear and parade ride set.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #28 of 33 Old Jul 18th, 2010, 6:58 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
Why in God's name would you want BMW to integrate comms? CB, so 1970s. And the GW system isn't as great as everyone seems to think it is. Give me the ability to customize my system to my needs, not dumbed down to the teddy bear and parade ride set.
That is true. Then again, a 1970s audio system is decades ahead of the IC engine (so 1800s), the shaft drive (so 1910), tubeless tires that can still go flat (so 1903). Don't you just hate this old technology that BMW keeps using? You would think they could use turbine engines and get at least 100 years more modern.

The fact is that some things just continue to work and with refinements get the job done quite well. In North America, the CB is still the best solution for intervehicle communication anywhere near a major road. GMRS/FRS has some advantages, but also some drawbacks such as the very small user base. Try making a call for information with your GMRS or FRS and tell me how many people respond.

I am all for providing the jacks required for flexibility in interfacing a range of user-supplied devices, but I still believe that a basic comm system needs to at least be an option on a bike like the LT.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #29 of 33 Old Jul 25th, 2010, 2:47 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
That is true. Then again, a 1970s audio system is decades ahead of the IC engine (so 1800s), the shaft drive (so 1910), tubeless tires that can still go flat (so 1903). Don't you just hate this old technology that BMW keeps using? You would think they could use turbine engines and get at least 100 years more modern.

The fact is that some things just continue to work and with refinements get the job done quite well. In North America, the CB is still the best solution for intervehicle communication anywhere near a major road. GMRS/FRS has some advantages, but also some drawbacks such as the very small user base. Try making a call for information with your GMRS or FRS and tell me how many people respond.

I am all for providing the jacks required for flexibility in interfacing a range of user-supplied devices, but I still believe that a basic comm system needs to at least be an option on a bike like the LT.
Well, I am starting to change my mind on hoping that BMW includes a comm system on the new 1600. I have had to hard reset my 1200LT radio three times in the last two weeks. I still have no idea what is causing this, but it seems to be a common issue from the forum searches I have done.

Given that BMW appears to be no more competent with sound systems (and I realize they don't do them in-house, but they still are making the vendor selection) than they are with final drives, it probably is better for them to just leave this feature off the bike and let the owners buy a competent sound system elsewhere.

I'd still rather HAVE a competent sound system available as a factory option, but unless BMW is willing to hire a company from Asia to do this for them, it is better to just leave it off.

I had my Kawasaki Voyager XII for 17 years and never had a single hiccup from its Clarion sound system. However, after dealing with this Becker unit (I belive that is who makes the Voice II), I wouldn't take a Becker piece of electronics if you gave it to me! If the sound system doesn't come from Japan, Korea or maybe Taiwan, then better to just not include it.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #30 of 33 Old Jul 29th, 2010, 11:56 am

It looks like the Bike Communication systems is going to be very well covered by the "Helmet" manufactures. At the BMW MOA National Rally in Redmond Schuberth Helmets had a booth. I was surprised to see them as the last North American importer had done such a disservice to the helmet, with no support or replacement parts service. Willkommen is now servicing North America. While speaking to the rep. and beating him up about the lack of service, as well as 10 other people during our conversation, they are trying to make things right. They were repairing or replacing parts for helmets right on site and for no charge, at least for myself.
Anyway getting back on topic they have one of the slickest, that I have seen, new Bluetooth integrated wireless communication systems that can be added on after the purchase of the New C3 helmet and soon for the existing C2 helmets called the SRC-System. It provides rider/passenger as well as bike/bike communications, FM radio, GPS, cell phone, and MP3 integration. Here is there interactive website that shows assembly and all the features. http://www.schuberth.com/us/products/src-systemtm.html
If it lives up to the advertising it looks to be a good integrated system. With Nolan helmets also having one it will only be a matter of time before integration and quality of products become very good.

Randy Ferras
K1200LT, 05'
post #31 of 33 Old Jul 29th, 2010, 5:55 pm

Gee I hope they will service my Schburth J1 when needed LOL

Later Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrasr
It looks like the Bike Communication systems is going to be very well covered by the "Helmet" manufactures. At the BMW MOA National Rally in Redmond Schuberth Helmets had a booth. I was surprised to see them as the last North American importer had done such a disservice to the helmet, with no support or replacement parts service. Willkommen is now servicing North America. While speaking to the rep. and beating him up about the lack of service, as well as 10 other people during our conversation, they are trying to make things right. They were repairing or replacing parts for helmets right on site and for no charge, at least for myself.
Anyway getting back on topic they have one of the slickest, that I have seen, new Bluetooth integrated wireless communication systems that can be added on after the purchase of the New C3 helmet and soon for the existing C2 helmets called the SRC-System. It provides rider/passenger as well as bike/bike communications, FM radio, GPS, cell phone, and MP3 integration. Here is there interactive website that shows assembly and all the features. http://www.schuberth.com/us/products/src-systemtm.html
If it lives up to the advertising it looks to be a good integrated system. With Nolan helmets also having one it will only be a matter of time before integration and quality of products become very good.
post #32 of 33 Old Aug 1st, 2010, 2:27 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrasr
The real question for me is: does this unit have replaceable batteries? This seems so simple, yet I have not found a single unit yet where the batteries can be replaced a la a cell phone or almost any other cosumer electronics device other than the really ultra small stuff. I could not tell from their web site, but I am guessing the answer is no. Until then, no Bluetooth for me as I don't want a device that costs several hundred dollars and has a useful life that is battery limited. At least not until batteries routinely provide their full charge life for at least 10 years.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #33 of 33 Old Aug 29th, 2010, 3:56 pm

All the questions about Cb s and FRS and so onyou would think companies like Cobra would market a unit with FM/CB/FRS/Blue tooth and so all in one unit? Is it just me or is this so unlikely to happen?

2 Ride video"s

IBA 53744
BMW J&M CB
Sirius/XM Radio
Hyper-Lights
IBA 53744
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
Albert Einstein.

A Twist of the Wrist is all that's needed.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in