Where will the K 1600GT/L be built? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Jul 5th, 2010, 5:52 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Where will the K 1600GT/L be built?

We're going to Europe in September. My bride is doing a European Delivery on a new Z-4. I'm not sure which BMW plant manufactures motorcycles. I would love to get a real ggood look at the new GT/L. Vickie should be feeling pretty good about taking delivery on a brand new Z-4 while my 07v car has 50K and my 05 LT has 80K on the clock. Do you think she might feel a little guilty and convince me I should have the new LT?

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory – Growing Up is Optional
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Jul 6th, 2010, 4:46 pm
BMW Guru

Re: Where will the K 1600GT/L be built?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorchilla
We're going to Europe in September. My bride is doing a European Delivery on a new Z-4. I'm not sure which BMW plant manufactures motorcycles. I would love to get a real ggood look at the new GT/L. Vickie should be feeling pretty good about taking delivery on a brand new Z-4 while my 07v car has 50K and my 05 LT has 80K on the clock. Do you think she might feel a little guilty and convince me I should have the new LT?
I believe the bikes are assembled in Berlin.

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 8:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Shred
I believe the bikes are assembled in Berlin.
Last year I toured the BMW plant in Berlin. If you want to tour the plant when you are there you have to book weeks ahead of time and they only do tours on certian days. I would start here with a request. http://www.bmw-werk-berlin.de/berlin...x_kontakt.html

Tell them when you will be in Berlin and they will try to see if a tour is available. It was a great tour.

Garry

Follow my South America ride at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

post #4 of 19 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 4:01 pm

Garage

AFAIK all the BMW bikes are still assembled in Berlin.

I'm not sure you'll see ANY K1600 there in September, though.

'12 R 1200 RT
'06 K 1200 LT (sold)
'05 Cagiva Navigator 1000 (sold)
'90 Kawasaki ZX10 (sold)
'82 Moto Guzzi V35 II (sold)
'82 Benelli Export 3V
post #5 of 19 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 4:14 pm

Quote:
Do you think she might feel a little guilty and convince me I should have the new LT?
There is no new LT. It's a GTL ... get it right.
post #6 of 19 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 4:54 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrado68
AFAIK all the BMW bikes are still assembled in Berlin.

I'm not sure you'll see ANY K1600 there in September, though.

Yep, they might be there but I doubt they'll let ya near em

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #7 of 19 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 6:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Make it a date... go pick up in Berlin and break it in on the Autobahn.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #8 of 19 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 6:39 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Make it a date... go pick up in Berlin and break it in on the Autobahn.
I know you can pickup your cars at the BMW World in Munich, near the car factory and the famous "4-cylinder" building, but I've never seen anything similar for motorbikes.

BMW Welt car pickup

'12 R 1200 RT
'06 K 1200 LT (sold)
'05 Cagiva Navigator 1000 (sold)
'90 Kawasaki ZX10 (sold)
'82 Moto Guzzi V35 II (sold)
'82 Benelli Export 3V
post #9 of 19 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 9:22 pm

Quote:

Doug,
Congrats on the Z4! Interestingly enough, I've got a Z4 35is on a ship leaving the English Channel heading at 19mph to the port in Oxnard and then on to me here in AZ. Would have loved to have done the ED like you guys are, but I couldn't make it work out, so I am obsessively tracking the progress of the build and shipment instead!

Scott

In the garage:
'12 K1600 GTL (took delivery 5/25)
'12 Ducati Monster EVO 1100
'08 Big Dog Pitbull
'79 Honda CX 500 Deluxe (restored)

Past:
'09 BMW R1200R
'09 BMW K1200 LT
'08 Victory Vision
'06 Yamaha FJR1300
'03 BMW K1200 LT
'02 Gold Wing 1800
'98 Yamaha Roadstar
'96 GoldWing 1500
'79 Honda CX500
'77 GoldWing 1000

post #10 of 19 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 10:21 pm

If you do get a chance to go to Munich, plan on a whole day to visit -- the delivery center is *huge* and will take a bit of time to get through on its own, but the Museum across the street is an all-day affair if you are a real BMW car/bike geek

A lot of folks think the Museum is just the "bowl" building -- because that is what it used to be. The new Museum extends several floors above and down into the ground, and takes up all of the space between the bowl and the 4 cylinders building -- that entire retangular area. A simply amazing collection of vehicles (cars and bikes), including an entire end wall of the Museum being a glass-front showcase for nearly every significant BMW motorcycle ever built -- all suspended in the air. The showcase is the full height of the wall (~4 stories tall, IIRC) -- you have to walk to different floors to see all of the bikes, and they're all about 10 feet from you on the other side of the glass.

Lots of other "stuff" there, too, including a huge (15' x 75'?) touch-interface table with a massive amount of historical info literally at your fingertips in the dark glass tabletop. Ever want to know what the *real* history of the company is? How it was part of George Knorr's railway brake conglomerate after the first war*? How close BMW was to being sold to Diamler and how bike manufacture was saved at the end of the 1950's? All there at your fingertips.

Lots of individual display rooms as well, such as rooms devoted to engine design/examples, body structure,, car racing, bike racing, the Isetta period, etc.

Yeah, I liked the place

* a sidebar: Last time I was in Munich, I was at one of the old factories of the brake company, now known as Knorr Bremse, just up the street from the Museum and delivery center. While I was there, I found out that the building was actually one of BMW's original factories, having been taken over by Knorr when he picked up the remnants of BMW after the war, and then retained when Knorr sold off BMW in the '20s. At one point I felt a bit of a chill when I realized I was standing on a preserved section of rail tracks inside the building where BMW's products first went out into the world -- a birthplace sorta thing. Yeah, corny, but it was cool to me.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #11 of 19 Old Jul 8th, 2010, 1:37 pm

There is no ED program for bikes...I asked. However if you do want to buy a four wheel bimmer, I strongly recommend the program; we did it last year.

Duane
Mag Black 2006 LT

Three loves - motorcycles, good wine, and contrabassoon...none of which mix. Engineer by day to pay for them all.
post #12 of 19 Old Jul 8th, 2010, 2:18 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks for the input on european delivery. The Z4s is my bride’s car. She has a 07 which she has never even had in the sports mode. The only time the car gets really driven is the few time I drive it. I thought about the new Z4 3.5, but in her case would be a waste of $. I buy used Bimmers so I can rationalize having a BMW motorcycle as well. It would be really cool if I could have had a ED on the new K1600 GT/L and ride through the Alps. Oh to dream!!! So now I'm just hoping to get a real glimpse of one but I agree with you guys it's doubtful before BMW's official release in October. As a youthful 63 year old I must be nuts to be thinking of getting a new 1600 GT/L, This is especially true when you consider my current 05 LT has served me well for 80K miles. But then again doesn’t excitement keep us young?

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory – Growing Up is Optional
post #13 of 19 Old Jul 8th, 2010, 2:25 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Don't have to convince us about the excitement part!

I was thinking of picking up the bike at a Berlin Dealer... not their ED center/process... sorry I wern't clear on dat. My apology for the kornfuxion.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #14 of 19 Old Aug 5th, 2010, 10:30 am

"As a youthful 63 year old I must be nuts to be thinking of getting a new 1600 GT/L"

Uhhhh, Doug...I'm somewhat older than you and I still haven't bought my last bike. Don't sell yourself out yet!.....there is always one more bike.....
post #15 of 19 Old Aug 5th, 2010, 10:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by loboheritage
"As a youthful 63 year old I must be nuts to be thinking of getting a new 1600 GT/L"

Uhhhh, Doug...I'm somewhat older than you and I still haven't bought my last bike. Don't sell yourself out yet!.....there is always one more bike.....
My grandfather bought his "last car" -- four times

It wasn't until he was 88 that he was finally done. Me, I'm not planning on *ever* buying my last bike -- there's too many neat toys out there and still to come, and I don't want to give the Reaper any early indication that I'm ready to go!

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #16 of 19 Old Aug 5th, 2010, 2:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett
My grandfather bought his "last car" -- four times

It wasn't until he was 88 that he was finally done. Me, I'm not planning on *ever* buying my last bike -- there's too many neat toys out there and still to come, and I don't want to give the Reaper any early indication that I'm ready to go!
Me too - but I'm going backasswards. Last bike - a '79 R80. ...and I've got my eye on a VERY nice '72 Z28 silver and black resto mod done "just right" : suspension, brakes, tires, intake and exhaust upgrades with a freshened up 350 and Hurst 4 speed. WITH a wooden shifter handle.

It's the car I couldn't afford in high school.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #17 of 19 Old Aug 5th, 2010, 3:34 pm
Lifetime Supporter

it's going to be built...in heaven, man.

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #18 of 19 Old Aug 6th, 2010, 1:50 am

Not literally all BMWs are built in Germany; I know the F650GS is built in China. But that's the only exception I'm aware of.
post #19 of 19 Old Aug 6th, 2010, 2:56 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
I know the F650GS is built in China.
The entire bike? I thought it was just the motor.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in