4Likes
  • 1 Post By Immealways
  • 1 Post By Rambler358
  • 1 Post By jzeiler
  • 1 Post By CharlieVT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Sep 21st, 2019, 4:02 am Thread Starter

Exclamation K1600 ALL STOP SALE SHIFT FORK

Today stop sale issued on K1600 bikes. All models. RECALL COMING SOON! This is concerning a shift fork problem. (Huge repair) 2017/17/18/19 bikes. No further info at this time.
Geoff c likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Sep 21st, 2019, 4:14 pm

Re: K1600 ALL STOP SALE SHIFT FORK

Geoff c likes this.
post #3 of 12 Old Sep 21st, 2019, 7:48 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

At least this bike has a cassette transmission so you don't have to pull the entire bike apart to get it off the bike. Like the GS, RT, RS and LT.
Geoff c likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 Old Oct 24th, 2019, 3:47 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
At least this bike has a cassette transmission so you don't have to pull the entire bike apart to get it off the bike. Like the GS, RT, RS and LT.
Funny I knew about this but still bought a new GTL yesterday that has to come into the country, I was told that it might be December or January before delivery but the dealership is loaning me one of their trade bikes which is an older GTL but they need to register it today before I can pick it up along with doing the 50 k service so I can have trouble-free riding till my new bike is released by BMW . I need to give them the R1250RT that is giving me heaps with shoulder and neck pain I bought 2 weeks ago to keep the klms down and they can sell it as it is so new. I got such a good deal for the change over I could not pass it up.

Past bikes, 2013 Victory Cross Roads, 2016 R1200RT then 2017 K1600GTL 2018 then a 2019 Indian Road Master before buying another 2019 R1250RT Shift Cam in Oct. 2019 with Top Box / Fog Lights.
post #5 of 12 Old Nov 5th, 2019, 6:09 pm

Got my notification today, recall in force, but no parts available to fix 2018 GTL.
This is after my leg soaking, fuel spraying breakdown on the interstate.
Still wish I kept my 2000 KLT; more and more regretful.
I'm telling myself that if the GTL doesn't get fixed this winter before riding season spring 2020, I'm going to buy a Honda Goldwing and sell the GTL at a painful loss.
I'm not ranting, so chill.
"No brag, just fact." (now who remembers that?)
As a long time BMW enthusiast, and in love with Airheads from 1970 on, I'm just getting a little jaundiced with BMW chasing the "super-tech" at the expense of reliability. I mean, they can engineer, why can't they fabricate?
The KLT remains my last, best BMW.
My impression of BMW marketing is that they'd like to sell a new, high tech bike every couple of years to deep pocketed yuppies who seek the BMW image, warranty recalls be damned. The days of having the goal of building a reliable, long distance touring bike are long gone. Sad.
Ok, in fairness, the BMW performance is unsurpassed. Unmatched handling.
Surpassed reliability however.
Now that should stir the pot...

On the other hand, my 2018 GTL will probably get fixed under warranty this winter, be ready for riding come spring, I'll have my Russell Day Long saddle, and I'll be loving the ride.
And there will be world peace.

https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/humor/1...ml#post1928785
Geoff c likes this.

Last edited by CharlieVT; Nov 5th, 2019 at 6:24 pm.
post #6 of 12 Old Nov 5th, 2019, 6:42 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT View Post
Got my notification today, recall in force, but no parts available to fix 2018 GTL.
This is after my leg soaking, fuel spraying breakdown on the interstate.
I'm telling myself that if the GTL doesn't get fixed this winter before riding season spring 2020, I'm going to buy a Honda Goldwing and sell the GTL at a painful loss.
As a long time BMW enthusiast, and in love with Airheads from 1970 on, I'm just getting a little jaundiced with BMW chasing the "super-tech" at the expense of reliability. I mean, they can engineer, why can't they fabricate?
My impression of BMW marketing is that they'd like to sell a new, high tech bike every couple of years to deep pocketed yuppies who seek the BMW image, warranty recalls be damned. The days of having the goal of building a reliable, long distance touring bike are long gone. Sad.
Ok, in fairness, the BMW performance is unsurpassed. Unmatched handling.
Surpassed reliability however.
Now that should stir the pot...

On the other hand, my 2018 GTL will probably get fixed under warranty this winter, be ready for riding come spring, I'll have my Russell Day Long saddle, and I'll be loving the ride.
And there will be world peace.

https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/humor/1...ml#post1928785
I agree with what you have said and like to add that as much as we all like to think there is a quality bike or car or anything of that nature any more there are very few due to wage-cutting , selling more volume and less quality control due to less workforce that cared about their jobs and products they made . Plus keeping the shareholders happy with larger profits adds to the equation. I hate to think about what it will be like in another 10,15 years' time . Thank god I am on the end of my life span and wont be around to see the world turning to shit more and more every day. I bought the new 2019 GTL knowing the stop sale and have to say based on the 2017 GTL I am hoping it will be a great bike once they fix the current quality control issue. I agree with you when it comes to the Honda Goldwing and looked long and hard at buying one, the one thing that put me off is not being able to take the luggage bags off and take them with you into accommodation or clean the rear wheel with ease. The GTL and GT. have been around without too much change since 2010 or 2011 depending on where they were launched in the world it is about time that the bike was looked at and updated and bought up to specs compared to the competitors. One of my hates or should I say dislikes is that at a premium end of the scale that these bikes are at you still have to add a Sat Nav. to the outdated holder along with a few other things that should be looked at like adding a decent stereo system that included a blue tooth system that can connect to all devices not just a few mostly BMW Systems. Plus last, of all take a long hard look at the Goldwings using Apple car play. If the Japanese can do it plus still build a top-quality bike Iam sure the germans could also. I had an Indian Road Master in between my 2017 GTL and this new one that I cant get till it is released and can say even being a Raw bike they have a great product even if it is a bit raw compared to the handling and speed of the GT and GTL. but still, an excellent bike to ride.

Past bikes, 2013 Victory Cross Roads, 2016 R1200RT then 2017 K1600GTL 2018 then a 2019 Indian Road Master before buying another 2019 R1250RT Shift Cam in Oct. 2019 with Top Box / Fog Lights.
post #7 of 12 Old Nov 6th, 2019, 7:18 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT View Post
Maybe this is why so many people on the forum still have their KLTís! The best ride and handling without being technologically too complex.

Rob Sprague
Vineland, NJ
2009 BMW R1200RT Metallic Black
2006 BMW K1200LT/2012 Hannigan Trike Magnesium Black
2004 BMW K1200GT Orient Blue

"Money talks...but all mine ever says is good-bye."

"We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts
not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert
the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
post #8 of 12 Old Dec 5th, 2019, 9:48 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immealways View Post
Today stop sale issued on K1600 bikes. All models. RECALL COMING SOON! This is concerning a shift fork problem. (Huge repair) 2017/17/18/19 bikes. No further info at this time.
Still, lots of little bits to be removed in preparation:
Preparatory work
Removing gearbox cover
Removing left bottom side panel
Removing left radiator cowl
Removing left side panel
Removing left stowage compartment
Removing right bottom side panel
Removing right radiator cowl
Remove the right side panel
Removing carrier for right bottom side panel
Removing right drop-protection pad
Removing left catalytic-converter shield
Disengaging clamp on left silencer
Removing left silencer
Removing right crankcase cover
Removing clutch
Removing number-plate carrier
Remove the rear wheel
Removing rear brake caliper
Disengaging shift lever
Removing left footrest plate
Disengaging gearbox potentiometer
Removing clutch slave cylinder
Remove the pushrod
Disengaging mounted parts from gearbox
Disengaging actuator rod from rear ride height sensor
Releasing Paralever link at rear
Lowering bevel gears
Disengaging universal shaft

Core activity
Removing gearbox

post #9 of 12 Old Dec 6th, 2019, 2:17 am

I hope all the techs are trained on this!
post #10 of 12 Old Dec 6th, 2019, 8:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler358 View Post
I hope all the techs are trained on this!
I would concentrate on one or two techs for this recall. The factory is only going to give 5 1/2 hours to do the repair. The first one or two are going to be losers for the dealers until the techs learn how to do it in time frame. Most dealers have had little or no problems with tranny repairs. The repair procedure is a repair removing the shift fork and replacing it not a transmission replacement .
post #11 of 12 Old Jan 2nd, 2020, 2:51 pm

Well after only 5 months, my wait is nearly over. All parts in dealer but a missing 32mm multipoint socket held up delivery. Due on Monday 6 January 2020. Comes with 3 free services, BMW have agreed to provide part ex price as of August 2019. So, I will bet just over £600 back. Not a good time for a new bike in UK. The dealer is delivering it for free, doing the handover at home and picking up my 4 year old 1200rs se sport. Happy days at last.
post #12 of 12 Old Jan 2nd, 2020, 2:54 pm

Would have loved to have kept my 30th anniversary k1300s sport.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in