tires 2013 GT 1600 bmw risers GTL handlebars, GPS backrest - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 10:03 am Thread Starter

Garage
tires 2013 GT 1600 bmw risers GTL handlebars, GPS backrest

Recommendation for mail order tires ( to Montana) for the rear tire on above bike. Seeking value as I am not an aggressive rider. Ordering right now.

Also, nail gone through and otherwise good tire. I have TPS. What is your opinion on whether a patch will work and remain safe. I can't imagine it not working but I have read the pros and cons.

Thanks

Paul

Also, anyone got spare GTL handlebars sitting around? Recommendations for a GPS that I can swap between my bikes and the GT? I have 1150 and 1200 GS models as well in my garage.?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 10:28 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Re: tires 2013 GT 1600 bmw risers GTL handlebars, GPS backrest

I can't help you with tires, as I simply went darkside (car tire rear).

Many riders will say it's never worth the small cost savings to patch a motorcycle tire, and to always replace with new for the safety and peace of mind. And they'd be correct.

I have had good luck with removing the rear wheel from the bike and taking the wheel alone to an independent car tire shop (you know the ones with mountains of used tires piled out front) and having them install a T-patch from the inside. Did that with a new tire that picked up a nail with less than 100 miles on it, then ran that tire down to the wear bars without issue.

It's your bike, and your choice.

The BMW Navigator IV, V, and VI GPS units will fit in the GT's factory GPS cradle position and allow use of the handlebar Scroll Wheel. These will also fit the factory GPS cradles on the GS bikes.

The Garmin zūmo 660 or 665 will fit the factory cradles, but will not respond to the Scroll Wheel.

Otherwise, you can use any GPS by coming up with an external mounting location.

Sometimes owners over at K1600forum.com have used handlebars, GPS units, and other useful parts available in the Classifieds section.

You may also get some good info in the BMW K1600 Suspension Setup, Tires and Wheels forum.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in