2012 K1600GTL - looking into buying - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Aug 1st, 2019, 7:24 pm Thread Starter

2012 K1600GTL - looking into buying

Seeking input on this bike. It seems a bunch of 2012s popped into the market with around 20-30K on them in the last 2 months. Does something happen to these bikes that a $30K bike is sold for nearly 60% off around this age/mileage point?

If it is just an anomaly, what should I look for before putting money down?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Aug 1st, 2019, 11:35 pm

Re: 2012 K1600GTL - looking into buying

Sorry nothing to add other than wow! Have they been around that long already!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 12:54 am

More likely a function of typical owner than an issue w/ the bike. Eight years. It's time to move on...

post #4 of 7 Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 6:37 am

My 2012 was ordered in 2011 and rides better today than when new. A few minor factor glitches corrected and now with 42,000 miles is a dream. Most bikes and cars for that matter take an early hit of about 25-30% as soon as you ride them off the lot and an 2012 is now almost 8 years old.. If the bike was taken care of, she still has a lot of miles left to go..

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #5 of 7 Old Aug 4th, 2019, 2:16 am

I did the same thing. Bought a 2012 1600 GT with 6000 miles. Love it. Except for the weight at parking lot speeds, does everything well. Just a matter of guys looking for newer bikes I think.
post #6 of 7 Old Aug 6th, 2019, 1:06 am

Early bikes had issues... which were resolved. Have the owner demonstrate all features are working and it's probably ok/ been taken care of.

As much as I love this bike, it's no million-mile capable Goldwing. Front wheel bearings and/or driveshaft and u-joints may need attention under 100,000 miles. Small price to pay for such a phenomenal bike.
post #7 of 7 Old Oct 12th, 2019, 8:27 am

I bought a used 2012 K1600GTL in 2014 after riding a HD cruiser for 40,000 miles and absolutely love it. It is a rocket ship that reminds me of the Star Wars "Speeder" and handles like a dream. It feels like flying an F-16 fighter compared to a B-52 bomber. Cruising at 75 mph is a stroll in the park for this bike, and remains so as I add additional power.

The K16 GTL transmission is surprisingly a bit clunky (at least on my bike) and there is considerable drive train lash, but I still love it. The drive train lash can be minimized with more finesse on the throttle. I'm not impressed with the stereo speakers, but those can be replaced. No major mechanical problems so far. I bought it at 12000 miles and now have 55,000 miles on it. The wizard wheel controller (whatever it is called) was replaced under warranty and the water pump has leaked a little bit on a couple of occasions and then stopped, but not enough to drain much coolant. I'm told is not uncommon on these bikes, but I still have not had to replace the water pump.

As for the price, I think the used prices are so low compared to new prices because I bet there is considerable mark-up (similar to SUVs and pick-ups with high profit margin) and more importantly because there are so few people who buy them. They don't sell many of these expensive bikes compared to other manufacturers, at least where I live. If you like it on a few test rides, you will love it as an owner.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in