4Likes
  • 1 Post By McWideglide
  • 1 Post By beech
  • 2 Post By beech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Sep 13th, 2018, 5:50 pm Thread Starter

Winter Storage

hi
I am new to BMW bikes, so I was wondering if I need to do anything special before putting my K1600gtl away for the season (just had hand surgery)
it is stored in a unheated garage
the oil has been changed, fuel stabilizer added and it is on a battery tender
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Sep 16th, 2018, 10:03 pm Thread Starter

Re: Winter Storage

well, I am guessing with no replies, I must have it covered
thanks
post #3 of 23 Old Sep 16th, 2018, 10:55 pm

The only additional thing I might also do is get it up on the center stand which you may have already done so the full weight of the bike is not sitting on one spot on the tire for an extended time. Other than that, you have the basics for storage covered.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 23 Old Sep 16th, 2018, 11:14 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I am glad my winter storage is just adding an additional layer of clothing to combat the cool. Rarely ice or snow. Only on the higher mountain tops.
BMW16GT likes this.

McWideglide

Jeff M.
2002 Harley Dyna Wideglide
2016 BMW R1200RT
2009 BMW K1300GT sold
1976 BMW R90/6 sold
1967 BSA 441 Victor sold
post #5 of 23 Old Sep 17th, 2018, 12:33 am

You have done as much as reasonable. Just do not start it up until you are ready to ride it.
Patric likes this.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $40, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #6 of 23 Old Sep 17th, 2018, 9:27 am
Lifetime Supporter

The only other step I take is to make sure it's filled with ethanol free fuel before it goes into storage. Probably doesn't really matter for shorter term storage (i.e. less than a year), but it makes me feel better about it.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #7 of 23 Old Sep 17th, 2018, 9:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by powwow View Post
The only other step I take is to make sure it's filled with ethanol free fuel before it goes into storage. Probably doesn't really matter for shorter term storage (i.e. less than a year), but it makes me feel better about it.

Ethanol fuels really attract water, even if you add a stabilizer. Anything over a couple of months should be free of ethanol or drain the tank. I endured an extensive repair to a generator from leaving fuel in it (after adding ethanol stabilizer) for only 8 months of sitting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #8 of 23 Old Sep 17th, 2018, 12:31 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Note sure if the air box intake is easily accessable on the K1600 but I stuff a plastic bag in mine to prevent pesky rodents from building a nest. I also leave a post-it note on the spedo to remind me in the spring that the bag is there.

We discovered this when my LT was used for the "Wrench Day" at the CCR at Osage Beach MO. We had to get a shop vac from the resort maintenance department to remove all of the stored seeds, yarn, etc., from blocking the air filter for the rodents who were planning on an extended Ohio winter. The bike had been kept in an unheated garage and there was no other evidence of mice!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #9 of 23 Old Sep 17th, 2018, 1:47 pm Thread Starter

thanks for the advice
my previous bike did not have a center stand, so that is something I never even thought about
post #10 of 23 Old Sep 17th, 2018, 1:51 pm

Garage

Cruel Jeff, very cruel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McWideglide View Post
I am glad my winter storage is just adding an additional layer of clothing to combat the cool. Rarely ice or snow. Only on the higher mountain tops.

Well, to be Frank,

I'd have to change my screen name
post #11 of 23 Old Sep 17th, 2018, 10:18 pm Thread Starter

laughs
I agree
it's starting off as a tough winter
we have had snow twice already (only stayed a couple of days) but unless we get some nice weather, it's going to be a long winter
post #12 of 23 Old Sep 22nd, 2018, 7:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertarider View Post
thanks for the advice
my previous bike did not have a center stand, so that is something I never even thought about
I have started to place drier sheets (e.g. Bounce) under the seat and in various other nooks in the fairing to discourage mice from taking refuge during winter storage. I have never had any problem with mice but a neighbour had much of the wiring in his Vespa destroyed by mice while the scooter was stored in an unheated garage.
post #13 of 23 Old Sep 22nd, 2018, 7:54 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkg1025 View Post
I have started to place drier sheets (e.g. Bounce) under the seat and in various other nooks in the fairing to discourage mice from taking refuge during winter storage. I have never had any problem with mice but a neighbour had much of the wiring in his Vespa destroyed by mice while the scooter was stored in an unheated garage.
Moth balls work as well. A couple of pie pans or make one from foil and place under the bike front & rear

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #14 of 23 Old Sep 22nd, 2018, 4:04 pm

A guy over on the FJRowners forum built a pretty nice portable temp/humidity controlled storage unit I am contemplating. My bike gets put away for 5 solid months and I end up with puddles of salt water on my garage floor. Once dry, it blows around like dust and gets all over. I mop my garage floor at least 4 times per winter.

At minimum I fill the tank with non-ethanol gas and Seafoam, put a cover over it, and put a piece of insulation board under the front tire to prevent a flat spot, and attach a battery tender if I can't remove the battery easily.

Anyway here is the link and pics as you won't be able to view them if you are not a registered member.

https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/8-f...r-storage.html

2016 R1200RT
2011 Yamaha FJR (sold)
2016 Yamaha Super Tenere ES (sold)
2008 Yamaha Zuma (wife's ride but I maintain)

Last edited by Hfjeff; Sep 22nd, 2018 at 4:10 pm.
post #15 of 23 Old Sep 22nd, 2018, 9:02 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hfjeff View Post
A guy over on the FJRowners forum built a pretty nice portable temp/humidity controlled storage unit I am contemplating. My bike gets put away for 5 solid months and I end up with puddles of salt water on my garage floor. Once dry, it blows around like dust and gets all over. I mop my garage floor at least 4 times per winter.

At minimum I fill the tank with non-ethanol gas and Seafoam, put a cover over it, and put a piece of insulation board under the front tire to prevent a flat spot, and attach a battery tender if I can't remove the battery easily.

Anyway here is the link and pics as you won't be able to view them if you are not a registered member.

https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/8-f...r-storage.html

Very nice!

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #16 of 23 Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 12:14 am Thread Starter

impressive
post #17 of 23 Old Nov 17th, 2018, 8:59 am

Waste of time & money. Just ride it if you can or start the bike up once a week. Winter storage no not here.
post #18 of 23 Old Nov 17th, 2018, 10:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger man View Post
Waste of time & money. Just ride it if you can or start the bike up once a week. Winter storage no not here.
Starting the bike occasionally in the winter...If you don't get the bike and oil up to operating temperature and run that way for ten minutes or so, the water formed in combustion will collect in the bike engine and exhaust systems. In the engine the water joins with combustion products and oil to form acids and sludge. In the exhaust it forms rust. If store your bike or go weeks without the possibility of riding, just keep your battery on a smart motorcycle rated charger and relax, don't start up your bike, it is not good for it.
Patric and PatM55 like this.

Beech

I change your tires $40, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #19 of 23 Old Nov 17th, 2018, 1:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by beech View Post
Starting the bike occasionally in the winter...If you don't get the bike and oil up to operating temperature and run that way for ten minutes or so, the water formed in combustion will collect in the bike engine and exhaust systems. In the engine the water joins with combustion products and oil to form acids and sludge. In the exhaust it forms rust. If store your bike or go weeks without the possibility of riding, just keep your battery on a smart motorcycle rated charger and relax, don't start up your bike, it is not good for it.
I don’t necessarily disagree with you , but to build box like the one in the pictures .... no way.
post #20 of 23 Old Nov 17th, 2018, 3:05 pm

Quote:
Not a waste of time or money IMO. My garage floor ends up with puddles of salt water for months on end. With a high traffic garage this gets splashed around and tracked in the house. I literally mop my garage 3-4 times per winter if we get a warm day.

Once the first snow falls, roads are covered with white salt powder until spring and we get good heavy rain to wash it off. You will not see a cycle on the roads of any type from Dec-Mar around here (minimum stretch). There are usually a couple 2-3 week stretches in Jan and Feb where the temps will not get out of the single digits.

Most Harley dealers will store your bike for about $45-$50/month. I built a very similar box for $130 total. Money well spent to protect a near $20K bike IMO. You obviously have no idea how long or brutal a winter can get. If you don't believe me, ask the new Russian guy. I am sure he can relate lol. It sucks.

2016 R1200RT
2011 Yamaha FJR (sold)

Last edited by Hfjeff; Nov 17th, 2018 at 3:41 pm.
post #21 of 23 Old Nov 17th, 2018, 8:58 pm

Quote:
Not a waste of time or money IMO. My garage floor ends up with puddles of salt water for months on end. With a high traffic garage this gets splashed around and tracked in the house. I literally mop my garage 3-4 times per winter if we get a warm day.

Once the first snow falls, roads are covered with white salt powder until spring and we get good heavy rain to wash it off. You will not see a cycle on the roads of any type from Dec-Mar around here (minimum stretch). There are usually a couple 2-3 week stretches in Jan and Feb where the temps will not get out of the single digits.

Most Harley dealers will store your bike for about $45-$50/month. I built a very similar box for $130 total. Money well spent to protect a near $20K bike IMO. You obviously have no idea how long or brutal a winter can get. If you don't believe me, ask the new Russian guy. I am sure he can relate lol. It sucks.

Obviously I don’t know where you guys live and you don’t know where I do either . I see now you guys must live up in Canada . So as not to start a international incident between the USA & Canada I offer my humble apologies I live in the St Louis area and just got 6” of snow last Thursday. Earliest snow we have had in 27 years. Still don’t see a wooden box for my bikes though Nice looking RT you have there
post #22 of 23 Old Nov 18th, 2018, 7:26 am

Quote:
Obviously I don’t know where you guys live and you don’t know where I do either . I see now you guys must live up in Canada . So as not to start a international incident between the USA & Canada I offer my humble apologies I live in the St Louis area and just got 6” of snow last Thursday. Earliest snow we have had in 27 years. Still don’t see a wooden box for my bikes though Nice looking RT you have there
Not a problem. Not Canada but rather a few states north in WI. It really was not that much expense or time to throw this together and I debated just storing elsewhere to keep it in a more protected environment but I could not see paying $50/mo. It is going to be in there for the next 5 months so I know it is protected from everything but the cold. WI really uses salt heavily and last year my Super Tenere center stand was literally sitting in a salt water puddle. Did not want that happening to the RT.

Take Care and hope it is a short winter. I am already getting antsy to get it back on the road. They have already put salt down so I won't be back out until after the first heavy rain in March or April.

2016 R1200RT
2011 Yamaha FJR (sold)
post #23 of 23 Old Nov 18th, 2018, 9:00 am

Quote:
Not a problem. Not Canada but rather a few states north in WI. It really was not that much expense or time to throw this together and I debated just storing elsewhere to keep it in a more protected environment but I could not see paying $50/mo. It is going to be in there for the next 5 months so I know it is protected from everything but the cold. WI really uses salt heavily and last year my Super Tenere center stand was literally sitting in a salt water puddle. Did not want that happening to the RT.

Take Care and hope it is a short winter. I am already getting antsy to get it back on the road. They have already put salt down so I won't be back out until after the first heavy rain in March or April.
I have a few buddies that live up your way. Been to southwest WI quite a few times and up along Lake Superior too. Ya everybody is salt crazy here. predicting upper 50's to low 60's here by Wednesday

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in