BMW Luxury Touring Community

BMW Luxury Touring Community (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/)
-   K1600GT/GTL (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1600gt-gtl/)
-   -   Top Case (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1600gt-gtl/158937-top-case.html)

Medic-norm Oct 8th, 2016 9:54 am

Top Case
 
I am seriously looking to purchase a RT 1200 next year. However the top case from the GTL provides more comfort for the passenger. Wondering if anyone has secured the top case from the GTL to the RT. Thanks in advance.

Why aint we riding Oct 8th, 2016 11:21 am

Re: Top Case
 
I looked at this recently and am also interested in what others say. From the pics it appears the two boxes mount differently but I have not actually compared them in person. A search showed several people that have installed the GTLE top to the lower section of the RT box but I could not find anyone that had actually changed out the entire box. I also could not find any info on whether or not the wire in the RT box for the backrest heater was hot when the seat heater was on if anyone knows that answer. Good luck, Steve

BADGER1 Oct 9th, 2016 6:24 am

Re: Top Case
 
One thing I have noticed is the top case on my K1600 has movement or flexibility in it on the base ,I'm going to be looking into stiffing it up some on the base if possible....... :serious:

mfreeland Jan 7th, 2017 9:13 pm

Re: Top Case
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Medic-norm (Post 1638585)
I am seriously looking to purchase a RT 1200 next year. However the top case from the GTL provides more comfort for the passenger. Wondering if anyone has secured the top case from the GTL to the RT. Thanks in advance.

Probably too late to be helpful, but I put a GTL top case on my '14 RT. Follow the link for pics

https://goo.gl/photos/Cb62UaSc9ZYKLsji6

WillH Jan 8th, 2017 7:56 am

Re: Top Case
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mfreeland (Post 1675953)
Probably too late to be helpful, but I put a GTL top case on my '14 RT. Follow the link for pics

https://goo.gl/photos/Cb62UaSc9ZYKLsji6

Your riding jacket to bike ratio looks to be about 4:1 - I just bought my third jacket so I am not quite keeping up with you.:grin:

Like looking at girls, looking at other guys' garages and bikes turns me on. Nice garage.:thumb:

mfreeland Jan 8th, 2017 8:50 am

Re: Top Case
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by WillH (Post 1676033)
Your riding jacket to bike ratio looks to be about 4:1 - I just bought my third jacket so I am not quite keeping up with you.:grin:

Like looking at girls, looking at other guys' garages and bikes turns me on. Nice garage.:thumb:

LOL! You obviously didn't notice the 2 other bikes visible in 1 of the pics (1 of which I store on a table lift as I ran out of floor space) and there are 2 more not seen in any pics. So, your ratio exceeds mine by a factor of 4+ or more, since 1/2 of those jackets you see are for the wife!!

aquajoe Jan 8th, 2017 12:40 pm

Re: Top Case
 
I just ordered the GTL backrest when I ordered my RT top case.

Don't quote me, but I don't think the RT has the circuitry to power the heated backrest.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mfreeland Jan 9th, 2017 8:16 pm

Re: Top Case
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aquajoe (Post 1676113)
I just ordered the GTL backrest when I ordered my RT top case.

Don't quote me, but I don't think the RT has the circuitry to power the heated backrest.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand that the power draw of the heated backrest is not that great. The trickier part would be wiring it. Apparently, only the GTLE comes with the wiring for or has the option of adding a harness for the heated backrest.

Mike

powwow Jan 9th, 2017 8:37 pm

Re: Top Case
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aquajoe (Post 1676113)
I just ordered the GTL backrest when I ordered my RT top case.

Don't quote me, but I don't think the RT has the circuitry to power the heated backrest.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did the same and you are correct...the RT isn't wired for the heated backrest. My SO pronounced the GTL backrest a DRAMATIC improvement to the stock RT backrest. Mama's happy...everybody's happy. :smile:

EzyMount Jan 9th, 2017 10:09 pm

This case fits the wethead rack with no mods ?

powwow Jan 10th, 2017 6:58 pm

Re: Top Case
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by EzyMount (Post 1676753)
This case fits the wethead rack with no mods ?

Yes...no mods.

Geoff c Jan 11th, 2017 3:02 am

Re: Top Case
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mfreeland (Post 1675953)
Probably too late to be helpful, but I put a GTL top case on my '14 RT. Follow the link for pics

https://goo.gl/photos/Cb62UaSc9ZYKLsji6

I love the indicators in the top box Brake light. I have the brake light and when I bought it I thought for the $300.00 AUD is should at least have tail light /brake light combo instead of just a brake light. To have the indicators as well would be a nice addition ,plus added safety.
:wink::wave

mfreeland Jan 15th, 2017 9:01 pm

Re: Top Case
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff c (Post 1677321)
I love the indicators in the top box Brake light. I have the brake light and when I bought it I thought for the $300.00 AUD is should at least have tail light /brake light combo instead of just a brake light. To have the indicators as well would be a nice addition ,plus added safety.
:wink::wave

For about 1/2 the cost of the BMW top case light I was able to put together a brighter running/modulated brake/integrated turn signals. The wiring is a bit of a bird's nest with having to use several relays and the running/brake light resistor and brake light modulator but it works great and looks stock.

Mike

james216 Jan 16th, 2017 8:49 am

Re: Top Case
 
Mike.That GTL top case looks really nice on the RT. I just wonder if a heated backrest version was installed. Like the GTLE has. If it could be tied in with the RT's heated seat switch where both come on? Like an LT does.

nhhandyman Jan 28th, 2017 5:06 pm

Re: Top Case
 
I just popped my color-match painted top case on. Its the case for the RT, with the GTL backrest added.


Google Photo Shared Album


If you don't replace the hinges you will have a little overhang - I'm going to leave them this way for now and see what happens. I may try and fit something up in there.

Not sure why it was shipped with a replacement latch. I left the stock one on.

Geoff c Jan 28th, 2017 5:30 pm

Re: Top Case
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by nhhandyman (Post 1683721)
I just popped my color-match painted top case on. Its the case for the RT, with the GTL backrest added.


Google Photo Shared Album


If you don't replace the hinges you will have a little overhang - I'm going to leave them this way for now and see what happens. I may try and fit something up in there.

Not sure why it was shipped with a replacement latch. I left the stock one on.

Wow that looks fantastic and a great job . Funny how just something simple can make a big difference . Best of all it personalises the bike.:smile::wink::wave Thanks so much for sharing .I did something similar with my Victory.

nhhandyman Jan 30th, 2017 6:48 am

Re: Top Case
 
I would edit my post but there doesn't seem to be an 'edit' - maybe as my post number increases it will be a priv... anway...

I bought the case and the backrest from MAX BMW in Hampton, NH. They did the color match paint for $400 (pricey for the amount of surface) but it looks great.

I was told that the holes did not line up and I would have to do some drilling. That is NOT the case, all holes line up.

The backrest comes in two pieces - The upper section is bolted onto the lower section and then the unit is attached to the top case.

I thought I had to replace or modify the hinges so I ended up taking the top of the case apart...but that was not necessary.

As noted in the pictures, there is an overhang on each side which would not be there if the other hinges ($51 a piece) were installed.

Medic-norm Jan 30th, 2017 2:42 pm

Re: Top Case
 
Thanks for the pictures. Looks good. How does your passenger enjoy the ride back there?

nhhandyman Feb 22nd, 2017 9:38 am

Re: Top Case
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Medic-norm (Post 1684281)
Thanks for the pictures. Looks good. How does your passenger enjoy the ride back there?

The passenger has not been on it yet - at least on the road. just the extra padding appeals to her. When spring chooses to stay in southern NH we'll give it a real test.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 6:15 am.

BMW Luxury Touring is powered by: vBulletin Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
VerticalScope Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome