Daily Driver - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By River Jordan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Apr 29th, 2016, 8:02 pm Thread Starter

Daily Driver

I currently have a 2011 Harley Davidson FLHTP modified for civilian use. I live 23 miles from my work station. With my cage being a 99 F150 4x4 with the 5.4 liter V8, the Electraglide is my daily driver.
I love the Harley and everything it can do in the cones. I love riding it to work. I have no problem taking it anywhere, but....
I sat on a 2012 K1600GTL about two weeks ago and it was like OMG I'm in love. I've researched and can see why these are awesome machines.
What I haven't seen is anyone talk about using one as their daily driver. I can't afford two bikes. I have to choose one that will do it all.
Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Apr 30th, 2016, 6:15 pm

Re: Daily Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Jordan View Post
I currently have a 2011 Harley Davidson FLHTP modified for civilian use. I live 23 miles from my work station. With my cage being a 99 F150 4x4 with the 5.4 liter V8, the Electraglide is my daily driver.
I love the Harley and everything it can do in the cones. I love riding it to work. I have no problem taking it anywhere, but....
I sat on a 2012 K1600GTL about two weeks ago and it was like OMG I'm in love. I've researched and can see why these are awesome machines.
What I haven't seen is anyone talk about using one as their daily driver. I can't afford two bikes. I have to choose one that will do it all.
Thoughts?
Hi,
I travel 38 miles to work with a GTLE and Love it!!
I do have 2 bikes but if it raining in the AM I'm on the GSWA if not I'm on the GTLE.
It's a great bike, they are very nimble and ALOT of FUN to ride!!
Buy what you can afford but try newer model years because things have changed?
Hope this helps?
Have fun!!

Harley
2018 R1200 GSA Rallye
2014 K 1600 GTLE
2001 K 1200 LT "gone but not forgotten"
post #3 of 12 Old Apr 30th, 2016, 6:45 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the input! I agree on the newer model years. I'm taking a 2007 R1200RT for a day long test this next week. However, you make a good point with the newer model years especially with that model.
Even though I have no plans to do "motor stuff" in the cone patterns with my new motor, I like the multiplate wet clutch and other improvements in the 14 and up.
The 2012 GTL I am looking at only has 4300 miles but the price is at 19k.
And there is the conundrum. A newer model R1200RT seems to be the same price line as a 12-13 GTL.
Coming from the large Harley and having worked on the riding skills, the GTL is not a big bike to me.
Basically, I want reliability and let's admit the HD is just way below par.

post #4 of 12 Old May 1st, 2016, 4:02 pm

If you can, Test ride a 2014 up 1200RT followed by K1600. I run an 2015 RT as a Police Motor 12 hrs a day. Super Machine, light, nimble, fantastic brakes, great MPG, perfect ergonomics. My only complaint would be power, I'm not a huge fan of the Boxer. An inline triple would make this bike perfect, or even a v style Twin. I like the low end torque for slow cone work but still seem to need "Want" more top end when pursuing. The new Wetheads are light years ahead of the old hexhead/ camheads etc. You'll want a 2014+ to get the wethead and wet clutch. Maintenance is oil/ filter change every 6k miles, every 12k mile service is two spark plugs, air filter, final drive oil change. Brake fluid flush every year or so. The lighter weight, superb brakes, hydraulic clutch, and shaft drive make this thing easy to rack up the miles, compared to a HD E-glide. I've ridden the K1600 and love it as well, it's like a bigger RT, little heavier but with more power, probably an even run. RT feels faster through the turns and lighter. The K spools up and just gets it, if you ride solo mostly, RT, 2 up is important, K16.
post #5 of 12 Old May 2nd, 2016, 8:54 am Thread Starter

Thanks Motorman. That is an awesome comparison. The more I look at the 14 and up I'm thinking the older years are out. And mostly 1up riding. It also may allow me to keep my Harley to practice with. I don't see our agency switching off the Harleys for quite some time.
post #6 of 12 Old May 2nd, 2016, 10:02 pm

I ride the heavier and beastlier (and slower) k1200LT everywhere I go. If I'm running errands, I'm on the LT. If I'm running out of town, I'm on the LT. I am officially the only person to buy fish from a hatchery in the area and taking them home on the LT. I get time practicing in parking lots and going slow when running errands. I put my feet down a little earlier than on my small bike when parking or stopping. I always make sure my front wheel is straight when coming to a complete stop.

If I can do everything on the LT, I am sure you can do everything on the K1600. Good Luck and Enjoy! My apologies to your HD that will soon grow lonely with your absence and jealous of your great new ride.
post #7 of 12 Old May 3rd, 2016, 11:13 am Thread Starter

Lol. That's awesome. I keep saying I'm going to make a mount for the fishing poles on the Harley. The only thing that keeps me from considering the LT is reading about how top heavy they are. Again, I'm not going to be doing motor patterns with the new to me motor, but I sure like a center of gravity as low as I can get it.
post #8 of 12 Old May 3rd, 2016, 2:45 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Go over to our sister site K1600Forum. A lot of the same good folks on here are over there. Plus the whole forum is K1600.

Click Here

Stevie Shreeve
post #9 of 12 Old May 3rd, 2016, 8:03 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for pointing in that direction. I'm there and soaking it up!
katnapinn likes this.
post #10 of 12 Old May 4th, 2016, 12:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Jordan View Post
Lol. That's awesome. I keep saying I'm going to make a mount for the fishing poles on the Harley. The only thing that keeps me from considering the LT is reading about how top heavy they are. Again, I'm not going to be doing motor patterns with the new to me motor, but I sure like a center of gravity as low as I can get it.
Spend all the money you got and get the newest K model you can afford. After a little time, I am very used to the weight. Put a few thousand miles on the bike and you will get used to it. It is night and day or day and night compared to a V-Twin for sure.
post #11 of 12 Old May 4th, 2016, 10:12 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Well, if the K1600 is good enough for Chibs, then you should be fine with it.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #12 of 12 Old May 5th, 2016, 11:20 am

I came from a 15 RT and now have a 15 K1600GT. A lot more room (I'm 6-4) or 2 up and a heck of a lot more power.

I've lowered the pegs and will be getting a custom (taller) seat this weekend

Scott
2015 K1600GT Sport

All gone:
R1200RT LC
R1200 GS ADV
K1200 LT
R1150 GS ADV
ST1300 (2)
R100 GS (2)
R1100 RS (2)
R100GS/PD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in