• 1 Post By meese
  • 1 Post By PSYCHO
  • 1 Post By PeterJ1962
  • 1 Post By DanDiver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Apr 4th, 2016, 9:42 am Thread Starter

Garage
List of know issues with K1600?

Is there a list of any kind on this bike?
I know all bikes have issues but it's nice to know in advance just how many problems to expect.
I ask riders I meet but you always get the same answer, it's the greatest bike I've ever owned! BS! We all don't want to admit we bought a pos, but at least be half assed honest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Apr 4th, 2016, 10:24 am

Re: List of know issues with K1600?

Check out the K1600 forum.

RS
current rides
15 K1600GTL
15 H-D CVO Ltd
11 H-D StreetGlide CVO
gone:
09 K1200LT
08 R1200RT
post #3 of 14 Old Apr 4th, 2016, 5:13 pm

Bike uses more gas when you twist the thing on the right handle.

Bike can go longer than I can.

Bike refuses to take shortest distance home.

Bike eats tires and eats them faster when you use that twisty thing on the right handle.

Bike causes silly grin on face.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.

post #4 of 14 Old Apr 4th, 2016, 5:14 pm

OK the K1600 Blue Tooth is bad. It's only version 2.0.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #5 of 14 Old Apr 4th, 2016, 9:06 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

That's because the K1600 really is the greatest bike most of its riders have ever owned!

Honestly, there were some early issues with leaky water pumps, flaky handlebar switch gear, and fast-wearing rear brake pads, but that's all been pretty well sorted by now.

And yes, the factory Bluetooth is merely adequate, which really stands out poorly when the rest of the machine is so well-executed. But there are some decent aftermarket solutions available, depending on your own preferences for features, fidelity, and cost.

Now every Beemer I've ever owned has had a custom seat and windshield and the K16 is no exception, although many riders are fine with the stock offerings.

Most of the aftermarket parts that K16 owners buy are for comfort customization, convenience, or additional safety.

And tires. Lots of tires, as you explore the impressive capabilities of this incredible Sport-Touring machine . . .

BMW really does have the K16 pretty well sorted at this point.
DanDiver and pkpr1998 like this.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 14 Old Apr 5th, 2016, 6:50 am Thread Starter

Garage

Thanks Ken I appreciate the input.
post #7 of 14 Old Apr 5th, 2016, 10:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese View Post
That's because the K1600 really is the greatest bike most of its riders have ever owned!

Honestly, there were some early issues with leaky water pumps, flaky handlebar switch gear, and fast-wearing rear brake pads, but that's all been pretty well sorted by now.

And yes, the factory Bluetooth is merely adequate, which really stands out poorly when the rest of the machine is so well-executed. But there are some decent aftermarket solutions available, depending on your own preferences for features, fidelity, and cost.

Now every Beemer I've ever owned has had a custom seat and windshield and the K16 is no exception, although many riders are fine with the stock offerings.

Most of the aftermarket parts that K16 owners buy are for comfort customization, convenience, or additional safety.

And tires. Lots of tires, as you explore the impressive capabilities of this incredible Sport-Touring machine . . .

BMW really does have the K16 pretty well sorted at this point.
Ken is LYING (in his signature). We all know that '13 GTL has more than 14k miles....

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #8 of 14 Old Apr 7th, 2016, 5:44 pm

I am thinking of getting a used 2014 K1600GTL. Does that model year have issues?

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

post #9 of 14 Old Apr 7th, 2016, 8:53 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

If you're interested in a fully-loaded, very well maintained 2014 Exclusive, then this bike would be an excellent choice.

And yes, the 2014 models are pretty well sorted.
pkpr1998 likes this.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 14 Old Apr 27th, 2016, 1:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennySD View Post
... but you always get the same answer, it's the greatest bike I've ever owned! ...
It's the greatest bike I've ever owned!

I agree... BMW seems to have fixed any of the older issues they've had. 1800 miles in 3 weeks *knock on wood* no issues for me. Had my break-in service at 900 miles and all was well.

The only thing that annoys me about this bike... the antiquated (2.0) and proprietary bluetooth... So, I do not use their audio which is a shame being that the Sirius is free for a year but sounds like CRAP if you do not use the overpriced BMW communication system. Cannot pair the 2nd helmet unless it is their own communication system... HEY BMW.. bluetooth is a 'standard' and you still managed to make it proprietary!!
mwnahas likes this.

Rich

2016 K1600GTLe
2008 K1200LT
post #11 of 14 Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 3:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSYCHO View Post
It's the greatest bike I've ever owned!

I agree... BMW seems to have fixed any of the older issues they've had. 1800 miles in 3 weeks *knock on wood* no issues for me. Had my break-in service at 900 miles and all was well.

The only thing that annoys me about this bike... the antiquated (2.0) and proprietary bluetooth... So, I do not use their audio which is a shame being that the Sirius is free for a year but sounds like CRAP if you do not use the overpriced BMW communication system. Cannot pair the 2nd helmet unless it is their own communication system... HEY BMW.. bluetooth is a 'standard' and you still managed to make it proprietary!!
1800 miles in 3 weeks is hardly enough miles to ahve an answer on maintenance....I have 98,000 miles on my 2012 adventure touring bike and am jsut now feeling I can honestly give an opinion. And that is:
Replaced spark plugs at 48,000 miles, replaced brakes at 68,000 miles, replaced one headlight at 50,000 miels, replaced the other at 97,000 miles, replaced teh left handlebar contorl (due to salt water corrosiion as I ride in the Northeast mst of the year) at 54,000 miles, and the right control at 72,000 miles, have NEVER adjusted ym valves. The orginal battery is in (as of 7/2018) the stator never failed but I had it replaced at 92,000 miles becuase it was a reacll (ha ha, had to get a free oil change with that recall), have ridden this bike through 43 States and 2 provinces, have ridden off road for 140 miles through Zec Dumoine (all you GS folks should go, it is spectacularly desolate with no cell coverage!), oh and repalce one fork seal at 62,000 iles (I think becuase I jumped a curb.) I am 55 years old, dad of two girls, and this bike is a 2012 Suzuki DL650 VStrom. Awesomely reliable.
Liv2Ride likes this.
post #12 of 14 Old Oct 25th, 2018, 4:06 pm

I would agree that the K16 is one of the most fun bikes I ever owned.

But if you are talking 'bike-to-tour'.

Then it is not the best bike I ever own:

The GL travels better and is more comfortable over the interstate

Even the RT has better wind protection. I prefer the reliability of the RT over the long haul.

I disagree that all the issues may have been worked out by mamaBeem.
At least not at the 2015 model. I was stranded with the usual fork sticktion problem. At that point it was uncertain if BMW would warranty the forks and that's when I went back to an RT.

The bike is top heavy as all infierno and not that suitable to commute--especially in traffic.

I don't know why everyone thinks the bike they own is better than others. It depends what you use your bike for. If you use your bike for fun the K16 might be a good choice. If you cross country tour, there are other more suitable options.

If you are a bar-hopper, well, of course, go with a HD.

and if you ride 'dirt', get a bike with good orthopedic insurance.
post #13 of 14 Old Dec 2nd, 2018, 9:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wethead View Post
I would agree that the K16 is one of the most fun bikes I ever owned.

But if you are talking 'bike-to-tour'.

Then it is not the best bike I ever own:

The GL travels better and is more comfortable over the interstate

Even the RT has better wind protection. I prefer the reliability of the RT over the long haul.

I disagree that all the issues may have been worked out by mamaBeem.
At least not at the 2015 model. I was stranded with the usual fork sticktion problem. At that point it was uncertain if BMW would warranty the forks and that's when I went back to an RT.

The bike is top heavy as all infierno and not that suitable to commute--especially in traffic.

I don't know why everyone thinks the bike they own is better than others. It depends what you use your bike for. If you use your bike for fun the K16 might be a good choice. If you cross country tour, there are other more suitable options.

If you are a bar-hopper, well, of course, go with a HD.

and if you ride 'dirt', get a bike with good orthopedic insurance.
I've got to say that I disagree with everything above. I commute several days a week on my bike and I can't ask for more out of her. Top heavy ? are you kidding. Coming from an LT, she is a dream. Best bike ever !!
meese likes this.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #14 of 14 Old Dec 2nd, 2018, 3:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver View Post
I've got to say that I disagree with everything above. I commute several days a week on my bike and I can't ask for more out of her. Top heavy ? are you kidding. Coming from an LT, she is a dream. Best bike ever !!
No one is asking you to agree.

You commute, isn't that special. Me too.

Have you ever ridden a GL cross country? While the GL is a 900lb bike, it does have a very low center of gravity compared to any K16.

I am not clear if you disagreement is coming from a different experience or from ownership-sentiments. Let me know what you actual experience is as you claim to be a commuter, but I was talking about long-distance touring.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in