New here and wanting to tour - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By meese
  • 1 Post By RugerMan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Feb 28th, 2016, 2:34 pm Thread Starter

New here and wanting to tour

I've been a rider for 30+ years, mostly sport tourers and now cruisers, and since I retired recently want to consider moving up to a bike suitable for touring two-up. The K1600 GTL really appeals to me, but although I have had the chance to sit on one, I haven't yet ridden one (which I hope to do as soon as the weather improves here). But I also sat on the R1200 RT and that impressed me as well. Being a bit older, and shorter (5'7" with just under a 30 inch inseam) my first thought was to consider the R, but I am hoping to get some input from current K1600 owners, especially any who selected their bike when also considering the R. Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Feb 28th, 2016, 4:32 pm

Garage
Re: New here and wanting to tour

Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

I've never ridden a GTL, sorry, so I've got nothing to add. I do love my RT though.

2000 R1100RT
post #3 of 13 Old Feb 28th, 2016, 5:00 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

The RT and GTL are both fine bikes.

Some riders like the power, smoothness, and luxury of the Big-K, while others prefer the lighter weight, shorter wheelbase, and nimbleness of the Boxer.

You can do all the reading and questioning you want, gathering opinions and comparing spec sheets. But the final decision has to come from riding them both and seeing which one feels right to you.
jd50i likes this.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 13 Old Feb 29th, 2016, 1:14 pm

Garage

I was much in the same boat having come of a Can-Am spyder and two Harleys before that. I do a lot of distance riding and was looking at Goldwings. Had a chance to ride both the R1200 and K1600 and loved them both. Ended up with a 2013 K1600 GTL. Have only been on it a few times so far (waiting for the weather to break), but so far, do not regret my decision.
I'm 6' tall with a 32" inseam and by raising the seat up to the higher position, it's perfect.
If you can find somewhere to test ride them, take your wallet with you and ride home on the one you like best.
Good luck.
post #5 of 13 Old Mar 6th, 2016, 9:35 pm

I just joined, and also very impressed by the k1600. I've been riding for over 60 years, and live in Colorado. Currently riding a 06 Harley Road King. I'm very seriously thinking of buying a K1600 GTL. My circle of friends are obviously Harley guys so I joined here to learn as much as I can about these 1600's. Any advice would be much appreciated. For example I've read that these bike's really need some good aftermarket engine guards, and the windshield is lacking.
post #6 of 13 Old Mar 9th, 2016, 6:43 am

OP, you cant go wrong on either the GTL or the RT. Make sure you get the most well equipped bike you can afford. BMW optional features are well executed and thought out.

BTW_- by RugerMan -- is that Vaquero or SR? Can i be HecklerandKochMan?

Chris B
post #7 of 13 Old Mar 9th, 2016, 8:33 am Thread Starter

(I picked RugerMan as my name for this forum because the name I use on most internet forums, Vito, was already in use. I have a small gun collection, mostly of Rugers, plus some S&W and a Browning. My everyday carry is an LC9s.)
mwnahas likes this.
post #8 of 13 Old Mar 9th, 2016, 8:44 am

Does anybody have a comparison between the K and R bikes? I like my K12 being a smooth 4 cyl, does the R twin vibrate a lot more? 600cc's a cyl is pretty big.

1973 CB 450K6
1975 CB 500T
1985 CB 650SC Nighthawk
1985 VF 1100S Sabre
2008 K1200LT
2012 Buddy 125 (wife's)
post #9 of 13 Old Mar 9th, 2016, 9:23 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd50i View Post
Does anybody have a comparison between the K and R bikes? I like my K12 being a smooth 4 cyl, does the R twin vibrate a lot more? 600cc's a cyl is pretty big.
My 1100RT is smooth as glass, no complaints. I've never ridden a K bike so I can't compare, but I'd be surprised if it was much better. I'd expect a few more creature comforts and a more powerful pull.

2000 R1100RT
post #10 of 13 Old Mar 10th, 2016, 12:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd50i View Post
I am a K-Bike snob. Not enough OOOs in Smoooth to describe. If I'm on a R bike I know it, feels like it's missing something. It is missing something, 2 cylinders.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #11 of 13 Old Mar 10th, 2016, 4:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas View Post
I am a K-Bike snob. Not enough OOOs in Smoooth to describe. If I'm on a R bike I know it, feels like it's missing something. It is missing something, 2 cylinders.
Only 2?

Chris B
post #12 of 13 Old Mar 11th, 2016, 5:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiki231 View Post
Only 2?
2 more would smooth it out like the K1200. 4 more like the K1600

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #13 of 13 Old Mar 13th, 2016, 11:23 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugerMan View Post
I've been a rider for 30+ years, mostly sport tourers and now cruisers, and since I retired recently want to consider moving up to a bike suitable for touring two-up. The K1600 GTL really appeals to me, but although I have had the chance to sit on one, I haven't yet ridden one (which I hope to do as soon as the weather improves here). But I also sat on the R1200 RT and that impressed me as well. Being a bit older, and shorter (5'7" with just under a 30 inch inseam) my first thought was to consider the R, but I am hoping to get some input from current K1600 owners, especially any who selected their bike when also considering the R. Thanks in advance for any help.
I've owned both bikes. I am five foot ten inches tall. I was often on tip toes with the RT and it had a lowered seat. The stock config of the K bike is a lot shorter. Bottom line is that the K may suit you better due to your height. But the K is a lot heavier, 770 vs mid 500's for the RT. I'm getting used to the K bike very well. Been riding it a lot in stop ad go traffic. I miss the nimbler RT but I'm getting over it. I rode HD touring bikes before the switch to BMW and I miss those too but I can't afford an entire stable of iron horses in my garage. So the best all around bike for me is the K.

Frank Smith
'14 K1600GTL Premium

Numerous HD's, Suzuki's, Yamaha's, a Bultaco or two, one previous R1200RT, and 1 Husqvarna. All sold, traded, stolen or repossessed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in