Anybody junking a GTL Top Box - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Feb 19th, 2016, 12:28 am Thread Starter

Garage
Anybody junking a GTL Top Box

I know its a long shot but I am getting ready to spend a few $$ on my RT and thought I would look here before I go to the dealer. I want to add the brakelight to the top box, with or without the chrome surround. I would also like to find a used full size GTL backrest, preferably heated to make the grouchy one happier. I believe the GTL and the RTW use the same box and I can retrofit the larger pad and headrest thingy. Thanks, Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Feb 19th, 2016, 10:01 am

Re: Anybody junking a GTL Top Box

I was looking on Pango (When you list for sale on the BMWMOA site, they are now placing the listing on on Pango I believe) this morning actually, and someone had a top case from a GTLE they were offering for sale. I didn't pay attention to a price or location.
post #3 of 10 Old Feb 19th, 2016, 10:53 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlakin View Post
I was looking on Pango (When you list for sale on the BMWMOA site, they are now placing the listing on on Pango I believe) this morning actually, and someone had a top case from a GTLE they were offering for sale. I didn't pay attention to a price or location.
Thanks, Thats a nice box. More than I want to spend for what I want but I could use my pieces to make it whole again and resale it. I am hoping to find a broken box someone is parting out but this may be the best deal I can find. Thanks, Steve

post #4 of 10 Old Feb 21st, 2016, 4:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why aint we riding View Post
I know its a long shot but I am getting ready to spend a few $$ on my RT and thought I would look here before I go to the dealer. I want to add the brakelight to the top box, with or without the chrome surround. I would also like to find a used full size GTL backrest, preferably heated to make the grouchy one happier. I believe the GTL and the RTW use the same box and I can retrofit the larger pad and headrest thingy. Thanks, Steve
You can't purchase a GTL case from BMW. I was fortunate to find a rare, used GTL top case but it cost me $1200 + $82 shipping, then $91 for 1/2 pint of the Ebony metallic paint to match my bike and $100 to get it painted. I re-keyed the existing lock to match my bike key after getting a few tumblers for the cost of a stamped envelope from my dealer (getting the lock cylinder out and re-keying it is a significant project itself but very do-able with the help of videos available on the web). As far as adding the GTL back rest pads to a 2014+ 49L RT/GT top case, the upper and lower pads combined run $600! Also, the standard GTL back rest pad is not heated (maybe the GTL Exclusive pads are) even though there is the wiring in the case for it. I added a Radiantz LED running/brake/turn signals to the space for the BMW top case brake light. Since my bike didn't have central locking I had to create my own wiring (which I would have had to do anyway given the addition of running light function, brake light modulator and turn signals). I'm happy with the final result but it wasn't cheap or easy. Here is a link to some pics:

https://goo.gl/photos/oLFGQX4tQGKsmbZP6

Mike

Last edited by mfreeland; Feb 21st, 2016 at 4:07 pm.
post #5 of 10 Old May 31st, 2019, 1:18 pm

This one is junk
Popped loose after running over a pothole. The lack was locked properly and secured. It hang of the wires for a sec till they rip and.the case bounced like a basketball.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190521_125405_1559326391068.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	790.9 KB
ID:	152029   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190521_125355_1559326421342.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	739.4 KB
ID:	152031   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190521_125412_1559326441327.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	619.2 KB
ID:	152033   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190521_125412_1559326475223.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	619.2 KB
ID:	152035  
post #6 of 10 Old May 31st, 2019, 6:13 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I did purchase the GTL backpad and replaced the RT pad on my 49L case. As stated, it wasn't inexpensive, although my dealer gave me a 20% discount on the purchase. She-who-must-be-obeyed pronounced it all day comfortable, so I considered it a pretty cheap investment in matrimonial happiness.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #7 of 10 Old Jun 1st, 2019, 11:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by powwow View Post
I did purchase the GTL backpad and replaced the RT pad on my 49L case. As stated, it wasn't inexpensive, although my dealer gave me a 20% discount on the purchase. She-who-must-be-obeyed pronounced it all day comfortable, so I considered it a pretty cheap investment in matrimonial happiness.
I'm glad I found this thread, I've just got back from the dealers, shopping for an RT, where Mrs W tried out the back seats for comfort. She didn't like the LC because the top box was just a bit too far back, meaning she would be leaning backwards slightly too much whilst riding. On the other hand, we tried an older 2013 twin-cam bike which sat her more upright and she said was much better for her, closer to the position our current LT sits her in.

So can I ask, did your good lady have the same trouble with the standard RT-LC topbox and backrest, i.e. it leant her too far back? And the GTL pad puts her forwards enough for comfort to be restored?
Thanks.
post #8 of 10 Old Jun 1st, 2019, 2:32 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

The GTL top box will drop right onto the RT rack, no tools needed.

So you can always ask the dealer to temporarily do a swap for you, then let the Mrs try it out.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 10 Old Jun 1st, 2019, 5:25 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by watty100 View Post
I'm glad I found this thread, I've just got back from the dealers, shopping for an RT, where Mrs W tried out the back seats for comfort. She didn't like the LC because the top box was just a bit too far back, meaning she would be leaning backwards slightly too much whilst riding. On the other hand, we tried an older 2013 twin-cam bike which sat her more upright and she said was much better for her, closer to the position our current LT sits her in.

So can I ask, did your good lady have the same trouble with the standard RT-LC topbox and backrest, i.e. it leant her too far back? And the GTL pad puts her forwards enough for comfort to be restored?
Thanks.
We were coming off of an LT, so the back pad just wasn't very comfortable in comparison. She likes the GTL because it slightly wraps around her and makes her feel a bit more secure on the bike. It's also padded better, so just more comfortable. She really was quite pleased with the difference from the RT pad.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #10 of 10 Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 12:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by powwow View Post
We were coming off of an LT, so the back pad just wasn't very comfortable in comparison. She likes the GTL because it slightly wraps around her and makes her feel a bit more secure on the bike. It's also padded better, so just more comfortable. She really was quite pleased with the difference from the RT pad.
Thanks for the info Powwow, I'm leaning towards copying what you've done.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in