Wind noise GTL vs RT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Dec 20th, 2015, 4:15 pm Thread Starter

Wind noise GTL vs RT

I used to have an RT and it was amazing how quiet it would be by raising the windshield. I've had several bikes since and currently ride an Indian Chieftain. Over the past few years my hearing has gotten bad and I am now wearing a full face helmet and always wear ear plugs. As much as I love the Indian, I'm afraid that the wind noise is contributing to my hearing loss. I test rode a new 1600GTL the other day but I didn't think that the windshield blocked the noise as much as the RT. It was the stock shield and maybe there are other shields out there that would work better. I am considering trading for the GTL but only if I think it would be as quiet as the RT was. I'm not considering the RT because my wife didn't like the back of the RT but I think she would love the back of the GTL.
Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Dec 20th, 2015, 4:30 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Re: Wind noise GTL vs RT

Lots of discussion on this and many other topics over at K1600forum.com.

The general consensus is that the stock screen sucks, but there are some nice aftermarket options such as AeroFlow or Cee Baileys. AeroFlow also makes some AeroWings and Mini Wings that significantly improve the airflow around the rider and passenger no matter what screen you're using.

I've been using the full AeroFlow setup for several years and am happy with it, both solo and two-up.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 9 Old Dec 20th, 2015, 11:03 pm

Don't forget to take the wife for a test ride on a RT with a top box installed on it. Having a back rest for a passenger makes a huge difference. Those RT's are pretty darn quiet, and weather resistant.

Beech

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)

post #4 of 9 Old Dec 21st, 2015, 5:31 am Thread Starter

I think the top box on the RT would make her more comfortable because before I just had a back rest. But she loves the look of the GTL seat with armrests.
post #5 of 9 Old Dec 21st, 2015, 8:23 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgl0226 View Post
I used to have an RT and it was amazing how quiet it would be by raising the windshield. I've had several bikes since and currently ride an Indian Chieftain. Over the past few years my hearing has gotten bad and I am now wearing a full face helmet and always wear ear plugs. As much as I love the Indian, I'm afraid that the wind noise is contributing to my hearing loss. I test rode a new 1600GTL the other day but I didn't think that the windshield blocked the noise as much as the RT. It was the stock shield and maybe there are other shields out there that would work better. I am considering trading for the GTL but only if I think it would be as quiet as the RT was. I'm not considering the RT because my wife didn't like the back of the RT but I think she would love the back of the GTL.
Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks.
I don't have any experience with the K bikes at all, but the shield on the RT is pretty good. However, it can be very much better even with the right aftermarket screen. You should read this thread: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-serie...indshield.html

Note that this shield is only for the wetheads ('14, '14, '16 RT). This is the specifics on this shield: https://www.werksparts.com/quiet-ride-windshield.html

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #6 of 9 Old Dec 21st, 2015, 8:50 pm

I had a 2012 RT, and my wife also did not like the bike. She was never comfortable as a passenger on it, even with a rear Givi case on it. I sold it and purchased a 2012 GTL. She likes the bike much better, but even she recognizes the wind protection isn't as good for her as on the RT. I have made it better, by getting the Aeroflow wings. I have tried the Cee Bailey touring windshield, and it improved the wind protection. Since then, I switched to the CalSci touring windshield and I am pretty happy with the current set up. It still isn't as good as the stock RT. But my wife is happy on the GTL, and thus I am too. The RT still is better.
post #7 of 9 Old Dec 23rd, 2015, 6:47 am

I happen to own both bikes. My GTL has an Aeroflow medium GT screen on it and it is more quiet than the RT. The stock shield on the RT was great for me. I saw no need to change and while the GTL has less wind noise, the RT is fine as is also.

Chris

2014 GTL
2015 RT
post #8 of 9 Old Dec 31st, 2015, 9:17 pm

My wife and I ride a 2014 K1600 GTLE. Passenger comfort was a major consideration in making this purchase and it was a great improvement over the Harley we had been riding for the previous seven years.
In order to cut down on wind turbulence i instaled an AeroFlow windshield and mini wings.

We are both very happy with the low level of wind noise and turbulence and are able to cover significantly more ride time and miles between rest stops.
post #9 of 9 Old Jan 24th, 2016, 6:57 pm

Are there not aftermarket windshield options for the Indian that might help, since you love the bike?

Chris

President SCBMWRC

MOA / Airhead Beemer Club
2015 BMW R1200RT / 1973 BMW R75/5 / 1955 BMW R50
Yard Art - 1968 Sachs 90 / 1968 Hodaka Ace 90

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in