BMW Navigation System Help - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jul 31st, 2015, 11:04 am Thread Starter

BMW Navigation System Help

Once again I surrender to the incredible knowledge pool of this forum. I was wondering if anyone know how to change the default of the navigation system to be off when the bike is running instead of on. Now, I can manually go into the settings and turn the screen of the navigation system off. With my riding 90% of the time I don't need the navigation system on and would like it to act in reverse: default to off and when I need it or want it I can manually turn it on. Any thoughts???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jul 31st, 2015, 4:37 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: BMW Navigation System Help

Don't believe there is a way to Turn the NAV V completely off without changing the internal wiring harness. I leave the GPS @ home except when touring.

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory – Growing Up is Optional
post #3 of 8 Old Aug 1st, 2015, 2:38 am
IBR# 366

Garage

There's no official BMW/Garmin way to do what you're asking.

So you have three basic options here, from easiest to most work:

1) Turn the screen off every time you start up the bike. Easy enough, but a bit of a hassle as you've found.

2) Take the GPS out and leave it at home or leave it in the trunk (there are protective Garmin cases available), and only put it in when you want to use it. But you just know that it'll be left at home that one time when you want to use it . . .

3) Find the power feed to the GPS cradle, cut the hot or ground wire, and install a switch. This requires some bike surgery, but would allow you to power the GPS on or off at your convenience.

Really, it all depends on your desired balance of hassle versus convenience.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 8 Old Aug 1st, 2015, 6:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric109 View Post
Once again I surrender to the incredible knowledge pool of this forum. I was wondering if anyone know how to change the default of the navigation system to be off when the bike is running instead of on. Now, I can manually go into the settings and turn the screen of the navigation system off. With my riding 90% of the time I don't need the navigation system on and would like it to act in reverse: default to off and when I need it or want it I can manually turn it on. Any thoughts???
You don't say which model nav you have or which bike it is mounted on, but another option, which I use on my 2014 RT and Nav 5 is to click through the bikes computer settings until you hit the navigation page, then use the wonder wheel to scroll from the map page to the next page which gives you several displays to choose from which will give you bike information such as speed, heading, fuel consumption and range until empty, etc. Much of this is useful information while riding, and I especially like to have the speedometer information right in front of my eyes. So if you don't want to look at a map while riding, consider using the screen as another way of looking at online bike information.

Ed

Previous: 2013 F800GT
Recent: 2014 R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic
Current: 2014 K1600GTL Hannigan trike conversion
post #5 of 8 Old Aug 3rd, 2015, 5:59 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric109 View Post
I am curious: what is the downside of it being on?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #6 of 8 Old Aug 3rd, 2015, 7:49 am

Remove it and put it in the dash pocket.

'14 R1200RT
'12 Tiger 800
post #7 of 8 Old Aug 6th, 2015, 8:49 pm Thread Starter

I guess there isn't a down side of it being on all the time. I was just thinking since I don't need it all the time, the off position would lead to longer life of the machine?? I just returned from a 5 day road trip where I tried the different screens; they were cool for a little while but I still needed to scroll and choose the different screen much like having to turn it off. I was just thinking that it would make sense to be able to change the default setting so the device is off instead of on all the time.
post #8 of 8 Old Aug 7th, 2015, 2:31 am
IBR# 366

Garage

I've put more than 100K miles on various GPS units. Eventually, they feel slow (as newer units come out) and the maps get dated (unless you have lifetime maps), but I've never worried about "wearing one out".

Leave the scrolling map screen up, or choose an interesting data screen, or use the scroll wheel to shut off the display, and then just ride . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in