Top case removal - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jul 28th, 2015, 1:33 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Top case removal

I have a K1600 GTL Exclusive, and the radio antenna is located in the top case. I am thinking of taking the topcase / back rest, and arm rests off since I do not have a regular rider. It looks simple to remove, the armrest are a little more difficult. I guess the problem will be that you lose the radio antenna. I can live with out the radio, but where is the Sat. antena?

Has anyone tried this? Do you have any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jul 28th, 2015, 9:22 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Re: Top case removal

The Exclusive was envisioned as a two-up tourer, so BMW figured people wouldn't be removing the trunk all that often. Yeah, I know . . .

Removing the trunk is pretty easy, but you will lose AM/FM reception.

Satellite Radio will still work, as that antenna sits up front above the GPS.

And of course, so will iPod/USB.

See this link for more details and some pics.

The armrests take a bit more to remove, as they're bolted down to the frame (as they should be).

Some riders have had a local shop modify their armrests so they can be removed with two bolts.

See this link for more details and some pics.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 10 Old Jul 31st, 2015, 4:34 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I only use the Top Case for long haul rides or when two-up. only when two-up are the armrest on. The link in Ken Meese post is what I did to remove the Arm Rest. The modification is well worth the $ to have it done. I can remove or reinstall the top case and armrest in 5 minutes max.

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory – Growing Up is Optional

post #4 of 10 Old Aug 1st, 2015, 6:43 am Thread Starter

Garage
Yeah it looks easy to remove. In the post they talk about additional wires. I think they got rid of those wires in the 2015 exclusive. I looked at mine and everything seems to be in the single connector which makes it really easy. For now I need the top case for storage on long trips. I just bought the bike a few weeks ago and I'm trying to use it as much as possible before the summer ends. One thing the bike really needs is foot pegs. I have them on order, after about 300 miles your legs start to get cramped, at least mine do. I had to sit on the passenger seat for few miles.
post #5 of 10 Old Aug 3rd, 2015, 6:55 pm

There are three connections that come out of the single cable under the seat on the Exclusive. Radio antenna, backrest heat, and tail light. Two are zip tied in place. The armrests take about an hour to remove the first time you do it. The main trick is removing the rear fender to access the two bolts inverted horizontally that secure it from the underside. Can be done without removing tire.

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"
post #6 of 10 Old Aug 6th, 2015, 8:45 pm

So...do I have to remove / disconnect all 3 wires as one disappears behind some plastic? All 3 wires form my top case are in a sheath. Do I have to remove the sheath at all? I have a 2014 GTLE and also want to remove the armrests. Can the top case just be slid aside without disconnecting the wires for armrest removal? Also, when I unlock the top case, it appears that only the rear of the top case can be lifted up and the front of the top case is still attached. Is there a trick to lifting up the top case??
post #7 of 10 Old Aug 7th, 2015, 2:38 am
IBR# 366

Garage

There's a large, round barrel connector under the passenger seat for the top case, and another antenna lead. Unplug both of those, and fish the wires out from under the passenger grab rails.

Unlatch the top case, lift the rear, and pull the whole things towards you (back and then up). Make sure the wires are free and clear.

To put the top case back on, reverse the above steps.

The armrests aren't meant to be quickly or easily removed. They bolt solidly to the rear frame, so it's kind of a pain to get all the bolts loose to remove the arm rest frame.

Some riders have had their arm rests modified by local machine/welding shops to leave the lower portion attached to the frame, and then use only two bolts to remove the upper portions. See this thread over at the K1600forum.com for details and pics.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 10 Old Aug 7th, 2015, 8:19 am

I also have a 3rd wire for the heated back rest on the Exclusive. I'll look and see if I can fish that one out too as there is a sheath over all 3 wires that I would prefer to preserve. I've seen the quick-release modifications people have made and am planning on doing the same but have to remove the armrests for the modification. Also, is it true that the topcase on the Exclusive is only am/fm antenna? Someone earlier said that the XM antenna is located up front but I can't see it.
post #9 of 10 Old Aug 7th, 2015, 10:33 am

Never mind about the third wire; it is a ground so it is easily enough removed. Still wondering about the satellite antenna located in the front or if it is part of the top case. Thanks.
post #10 of 10 Old Aug 7th, 2015, 11:20 am
IBR# 366

Garage

The Satellite Radio antenna is mounted in the plastic dash shroud just above the GPS.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in