What do you recommend ??? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Apr 15th, 2015, 12:20 am Thread Starter

What do you recommend ???

As a really good quality BT intercom unit where the Satellite radio and the GPS can be heard crystal clear... Either single piece or double... My wife talks to me no matter what... By the way I use a Shoei J-Cruise helmet... So it has to be for that one...If that any matters.

Does Nav V makes a huge difference than IV ? I mean does it worth the expense if the IV still working as it supposed to ?

Which brand/model considered the best tires for GTL ? Quiet and good gripping, long lasting on dry roads.. I ride in California so 99.9% of my rides are on bone dry roads!

Thanks guys,

Capt.Jim
2018 R1200 GSA
--------------------------
'18 R1200RT
'18 K1600GTL
'16 R1200GSA
'14 R1200RT
'12 K1600GTL
'06 R1200GS
'03 R1150RT-P
'07 K1200LT
'05 R1150RT-P
'99 HONDA Valkyrie
'06 R1150RT-P
'05 K1200LT
'05 HONDA Goldwing GL1800
'99 HONDA Valkyrie Interstate
'98 HONDA SHADOW
'98 YAMAHA Super Tenere
'93 HONDA CBR 1000F
'91 HONDA Transalp
'88 JAWA 500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Apr 15th, 2015, 6:55 am

Re: What do you recommend ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJDavis View Post
As a really good quality BT intercom unit where the Satellite radio and the GPS can be heard crystal clear...
The quality of the bike audio system's BT implementation is poor. As a result, you may or may not be satisfied with the quality of music from any audio source with any headset. So be aware of that. There are endless threads on BT headsets on the K1600 forum, but I think the Sena units seem to be the preferred ones at this time. This changes of course as new models/software updates come out.

The other factor with the headset is which of a seemingly infinite variety of pairing options you choose with GPS/phone/which phone.

I use a Cardo G9 paired to my GPS (Nav V) and the bike's audio system. The GPS is paired to my iPhone 5S and handles all phone calls. This works pretty well. The volume level is marginal using the helmet speakers with ear plugs, but I would call it satisfactory most of the time.

The newer G9X cradle has a jack so you can plug in earbuds rather than use the helmet speaker, if you want to go in that direction.

Quote:
Does Nav V makes a huge difference than IV ? I mean does it worth the expense if the IV still working as it supposed to ?
The Nav V is faster, has an easier-to-read screen, and has some very nifty features...the main one for me is the ability to use your smart phone's internet connection to call up weather information, including a weather radar display. To me, this feature alone was worth the cost of upgrading as it can quite literally be a life-saver.

As far as basic navigation goes, the IV works fine. The readability of the V is better for most riders, although it still can wash out with certain sun conditions. Different people report different results, and my theory is that the taller you sit in the saddle, the better the readability is. Some will tell you that the readability of the V is not enough better for them to warrant the upgrade cost.

If the audio system is really important to you, be aware that the Nav V induces lots more noise into the audio system than the Nav IV does. So again, that may or may not be a big deal to you. I notice it, but it's not a big deal for me. YMMV

Also, be aware that there is a different instrument panel shroud for the Nav V, to accommodate the larger display. It's a $40 or so part as I recall, and is an easy swap. But that will add a few more $ to the upgrade cost.

Quote:
Which brand/model considered the best tires for GTL ? Quiet and good gripping, long lasting on dry roads.. I ride in California so 99.9% of my rides are on bone dry roads!
Now you've done it.

You will get every answer imaginable for this. I have had very good luck with Pilot Road 4 and Pirelli Angel GT. In both cases, make sure you get the versions rated for the 1600...a stiffer sidewall which better handles the bike's weight. The stiffer-sidewall version for the PR4 is the "GT", while the stiffer version for the Pirelli GT is an "A". (Just to keep it confusing.)

Again, you will find endless threads on all of these issues on the K1600 forum.
post #3 of 4 Old Apr 15th, 2015, 7:04 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
As a really good quality BT intercom unit where the Satellite radio and the GPS can be heard crystal clear... Either single piece or double... My wife talks to me no matter what... By the way I use a Shoei J-Cruise helmet... So it has to be for that one...If that any matters.
The Sena 20S since to be the best one so far. You can only pair the riders BT to the bike with any aftermarket one. Only the BMW branded BT will pair 2 units to the bike plus they only fit the Schurbert C3 helmet at a cost of about $2500 for 2 BT's & 2 helmets. With the Sena 20S you can stream music/GPS from the rider BT unit to the passenger BT.

That being said I hated the way BT worked with my bike so I went hard wired with a Motochello MC200

Quote:

Does Nav V makes a huge difference than IV ? I mean does it worth the expense if the IV still working as it supposed to ?,
The Nav V has more features like weather/traffic and other things. I have a nag IV that i got with the bike 4 years ago. I've never updated the maps but I have the newest software updates. It works perfect as a GPS. If I need weather/ traffic I look up & around to see what the weather and traffic looks like.

Quote:

Thanks guys,
I've used a few different tires over the last 40K miles & found the Michelin PR4GT to be the best all around tires. I get 8 to 10K from a set. Some like the Pirelli Angel GT as they stick to the road better but the trade off is less tires life. The Metzler Z8 is bad about looking good then have cords showing in just a few hundred miles. Which ever tire you pick make sure it is the proper weight rating for the rear.

Stevie Shreeve

Last edited by katnapinn; Apr 15th, 2015 at 7:09 am.

post #4 of 4 Old Apr 15th, 2015, 10:20 pm

I use the BMW COMM system. There are better sounding systems as mentioned above. I have occasional problems when 2-up with radio cutting out but it is intermittent.

I've had several sets of Pirelli Angel GT's (A Spec rear) and find them to be great all around. The PR4's and Angel GT's seem to be the preferred tires from all I have read.

Chris

2014 GTL
2015 RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in