BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Mount For Phone

6K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  tonyn1 
#1 ·
I just got a 14 1600 GT, and although I would like to have a Nav 5 that would fit right in the ready made slot for it, I just can't justify spending $800 bucks for it, when my phone does pretty much the same thing. I would like to mount right in front of that place for the GPS on the bike however, as it would look good there. Has anybody found a way to mount a phone there? I have a Samsung Note 4 which is a pretty big phone.

#2 ·
I haven't done what you are asking about, but it got me to think about it, since, for me, I have a hard time seeing my GPS in the console position. I have thought about moving it to another location, but since I'm really a casual user, the voice works most of the time.

What about using a tank bag and placing the phone inside the plastic insert or actually on the mount that RKA uses on their tank bag? You could have power available and also weather protection (if mounted inside).

http://www.rka-luggage.com/A02 Tankbags/com bag Build sheet/Master Accessoires Build Sheet.html

This link will take you to a picture.

#3 ·
Putting the phone inside a plastic tank bag cover tends to get the phone overheated, sometimes to the point of shutting itself off.

Just something to consider.

#4 ·
If you could find a place for a Ram mount that you like HERE is how I mount my phone using a Ram.

#5 ·
I am using available car docks for my Droid HD on both the LT and the K13GT. They stick via suction cup and the phones are virtually water proof. Works well for me. I have them wired into my Autocomm units. I have ridden in rain and cold as well as hot weather and never had an issue. The glass on the LT was an emergency measure as after three days on the road (three week trip) the suction cup stopped sticking to that part of the bike. I picked up a cheap picture frame for the glass and stuck it on with silicon seal. Just decided to leave it. It sticks just fine on the GT.

Attachments

#6 ·
I don't know if I'd trust a suction device on a bike. My K1200 LT had a mount right in the middle which was much more adaptable to whatever you wanted to put there, plus was a lot closer to you making it easier to see. I've heard that the GPS is somewhat hard to see mounted in the slot on the dash. Is that so? I also found this bag from Wunderlich, which goes between the handlebars and looks like it might work fine for the purpose if it will be big enough for by phone, which is a Note 4 and pretty huge for a phone. Does anybody have one of these and can tell me what size the phone pocket is?

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.