• 1 Post By David13
  • 1 Post By bigbear
  • 1 Post By CaptainB
  • 3 Post By ka5ysy
  • 1 Post By saddleman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Mar 6th, 2015, 10:08 am Thread Starter

Question Do you leave key in ignition?

OK..... Except for you "Exclusive Elitists"...

Me: I remove the key.

My wife's aunt is our Insurance Agent (home, cars, life). When we got the bike, out of the blue she says "Make sure you take the key out when you're done riding. Even in the garage, insurance companies get funny about that, and may claim you didn't show proper diligence."

I keep the key in a clever hidden spot near the bike. She volunteered the information, even though she doesn't insure the bike - she couldn't touch GEICO's rate.

I saw another thread where a bike was stolen, and insurance co. refused to cover loss, because key was in ignition - in a locked garage!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Mar 6th, 2015, 10:17 am

Garage
Re: Do you leave key in ignition?

Yeah, I take mine all the time.
If I'm at the gas station and go inside, yes, I take the key.
Unless I am right there beside or with the bike, I take the key.
dc
DLL66 likes this.

2008 R1200 RT
post #3 of 11 Old Mar 6th, 2015, 10:45 am

Like David13, I take the key out anytime I leave the bike.
DLL66 likes this.

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT

post #4 of 11 Old Mar 6th, 2015, 10:46 am

Back in 2008 I had my FJR1300 parked in my locked garage, key in the ignition. I went to the garage on a warm July morning to find the overhead door open, the backed door jimmied, my 1968 R50/2 on its side and the FJR conspicuously absent. To top it off.....no theft insurance.
Well it seems that the perps had pushed the FJR to the street (about 100 feet), started it, dropped it 100 yards down the road (too much for the morons to handle I guess) leaving behind a few pieces of plastic, and disappeared. This all apparently occurred while I slept in my 2nd floor bedroom.
The bright side is that three months later, in October, a fisherman walking to a pond about 2 miles from my house noticed a shiny object off in the woods. Turned out to be an FJR mirror.........connected to an FJR! After the police notification I arrived with my spare key, righted the beast, checked the oil level, fired it up, and rode it home. They had done some minor fairing damage, and stolen both saddlebags and the tank bag but all else was well! I sold it a short time later and the friend I sold it too is still riding it. I now remove the keys, lock the steering and set the alarm on my 14 R1200RT when ever I leave it behind.

Moral....... take the key!
DLL66 likes this.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
post #5 of 11 Old Mar 6th, 2015, 11:20 am

Realistically if someone wants to steal a motorcycle is makes no difference whether the keys are in it or not. They will get it. Ask a lot of Harley and crotch rocket drivers about that.

In the event that an insurer refuses a claim based on key being in the ignition in your own home, contact your attorney immediately. Unless there is a specific exclusion in the contract refusal of a claim like that is unavailable to the company, and most states have nice penalties for damages and attorney fees for refusing to pay a valid insurance claim in a timely manner.

The nice thing about the BMW's is that they dont get stolen that often. Park next to Harleys and crotch rockets and you are pretty much immune
DanDiver, Berber and JNW003 like this.

Doug Stracener
2011 RT polar metallic
Attorney,
MSF #127350,
Instructor, Motorcycle Safety Program Louisiana Department of Public Safety
NAUI Scuba Instructor #36288
Divers Alert Network Board member
post #6 of 11 Old Mar 6th, 2015, 4:03 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

All 3 of my bikes have the keys in them here at home. I leave the key in the bike while in stores or restaurants if I can see the bike. Like what was already said if someone wants your bike they will take it with or with the key. I figure there might be less damage done to the bike if they do not have to brake out the ignition.

Over the last 6 years I've picked up over a hundred stoled bikes that have been recovered by the owner/police. Everyone had massive damage to the ignition switch & the wiring around the switch costing hundreds more to getting the bike repaired. On most this was the only damage to the bike.

Stevie Shreeve
post #7 of 11 Old Mar 6th, 2015, 6:27 pm

Interesting thread. I've always left the key in the ignition when the bike is in the garage. Never even considered an Insurance Co would contest a claim. I guess I'll be hanging the key inside from now on, thanks for the info!

Ride Safe,

Bob
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"We were leaving confusion and nonsense behind, performing this one noble function of our time..to move"
Dean Moriarty - On The Road

'12 R1200RT
post #8 of 11 Old Mar 7th, 2015, 12:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firenailer View Post
Interesting thread. I've always left the key in the ignition when the bike is in the garage. Never even considered an Insurance Co would contest a claim. I guess I'll be hanging the key inside from now on, thanks for the info!
I'm not because I read post #5 . Try it.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S
post #9 of 11 Old Mar 7th, 2015, 2:17 pm
Enjoy The Ride

By the time they broke into my garage & figure out how to cut the locks to raise the door the police would be there. The city I live in has a fast response time & the police station is nearby.
DLL66 likes this.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #10 of 11 Old Mar 7th, 2015, 6:37 pm

not in my 2000 k 1200 lt was told that if you leavekey in in any position other than all the way to left the farkle gods may suck the life out of the battery ,don't really know if this is fact or fiction ,but im not taking any chances ride safe and often, slate
post #11 of 11 Old Mar 9th, 2015, 12:33 pm

Do people steal K1200LT's? Out here in SC they only steal crotch rockets..

Current rides:
2003 BMW 1200 LT (bought in 2006)

Past rides:
97 Kawasaki ZX11(bought new in 1997, sadly sold in September 2014)
89 Honda Hurricane (sold)
88 Honda Hurricane (traded on an SUV)
86 Kawasaki 1000R (stolen but recovered)
84 Honda 750F (traded on 1000R)
81 Suzuki GSX1100 (sold)
78 Suzuki GS750 (traded on GSX1100)
74 Yamaha RD50 (sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in