GTL vs GT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Feb 10th, 2015, 9:40 am Thread Starter

GTL vs GT

Is the GTL and GT foot pegs in the same location?

Other main differences- I know the bags.

Tuning?
Handling?

Presently ride LT and GSA for perspective. Use TALL windscreen on both(6'4", short legs).

David Major
Charleston, SC
-2003 LT
-2007 GS Adventure. White
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Feb 10th, 2015, 10:16 am

Re: GTL vs GT

No, the GT pegs are higher and set back from the GTL. Also the handle bars are much closer to the dash. A GT is ridden in more of a forward lean position.

Hope this helps,Tom
post #3 of 9 Old Feb 10th, 2015, 10:31 am Thread Starter

Any service issues popping up?

David Major
Charleston, SC
-2003 LT

post #4 of 9 Old Feb 10th, 2015, 11:59 am
IBR# 366

Garage

The GT is ergonomically tuned for one-up sport-touring, while the GTL is tuned for two-up touring. The differences are slight, with both bikes using the same engine, chassis, and electronics. These bikes are 97% the same, and either bike can be ridden just as well whether solo or two-up, and whether cruising highways or strafing mountain twisties.

As for the ergonomic differences, the GT has the pegs higher and further back, the bars shorter and further forward, and the seat higher and adjustable. Some riders say the GT is closer to an RT sitting position, while the GTL is closer to an LT.

The GTL also adds a few factory options that are accessories on a GT, such as a top case, LED driving lights, chrome trim, and a taller windshield.

Performance differences are minimal, with both bikes running the same engine, with the same HP and torque. The GTL is electronically speed limited to 140 mph (due to aerodynamic issues with the trunk), while the GT tops out around 158 mph (due to wind resistance). The GT also has slightly stiffer suspension settings, and a slightly throatier exhaust.

The GT Sport is the same as the GT with special paint and an even smaller windshield. And the GTL Exclusive adds some passenger comforts, with a wider seat, heated backrest, and armrests, along with special paint and all factory options (LED brake light, ground lighting, etc.).

Any of those bikes can be ridden well by an experienced rider in any terrain, so it really comes down to comparing rider seating position, passenger amenities, and included options and accessories.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 9 Old Feb 10th, 2015, 12:12 pm Thread Starter

I have big legs- 26" thigh, so the GT might cramp them.

I would need to add "highway" pegs to any decision in order to stretch some.

Also will need to add TALL windshield. I have CB tallest on the LT and GSA and can still see over them.

Trying to figure if I like having two bikes or willing to sell them for one K1600.

My GSA has had numerous warranty issues, LT had new clutch.

David Major
Charleston, SC
-2003 LT
post #6 of 9 Old Feb 10th, 2015, 12:15 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmajor View Post
Any service issues popping up?
As with any new BMW model, the first year or two has some minor issues that have since been worked out.

My '12 GTL had some issues, but my '13 GTL has been flawless, apart from the mediocre radio/bluetooth setup. A few riders have had issues with switchgear (there is now a full model replacement program on those) and leaky water pumps (supposedly now solved), but most bikes have run very well.

The '14 and '15 bikes have a host of minor production and quality improvements, along with Keyless Ride and Hill Start Control.

Scheduled maintenance is easier than on an LT, with the exception of the valve check which requires a radiator removal. It's not difficult, and can still be done by a competent home mechanic, but it is a bit more fiddly. Some bikes have been known to overheat due to radiator blockage, especially with loose, soft asphalt or chip seal roads, but the 18K service is a good time for a radiator inspection and through clean.

I rode LT's all over Europe and America, and still remember those bikes fondly. The LT is still the most comfortable stock bike I've ridden, especially two-up. But it is also extremely heavy, and the GTL simply does everything else better.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 9 Old Feb 10th, 2015, 12:26 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Every BMW I've owned has needed a seat upgrade and better windshield.

It's easier to change seats than it is to change bars and pegs, although either can be done with a bit of money and persistence. So your best bet is to sit on and/or ride both bikes and see which one is closer to your ideal.

The taller two-piece GT seat can be fitted to the GTL. You could even do that in the showroom for a test-sit with no tools needed. Or you can always have the factory seat reworked by one of the major seat guys.

There are several windshields available, from AeroFlow, CalSci, Cee Bailey's, etc. AeroFlow also makes a nice set of AeroWings and MiniWings that give LT-like wind protection.

The first accessory to add to any K16 is engine crash bars, if it doesn't have them already. The factory bars are good, but there are several alternatives depending in how much you want to cover. And highway pegs can easily be added to any of the engine bars.

So far we've not seen any major drivetrain failures like we have with the LT, RT, and GS. Even my K12GT had a lot more issues than my GTL.

As to whether this one bike will do it all for you, that's up to you to decide after a nice, long test ride. But be warned, you may just end up riding home on that same bike . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #8 of 9 Old Feb 24th, 2015, 8:49 pm

Garage

I totally agree with everything that Ken wrote about the two bikes.

I've driven both for long test drives (2 weeks each) and I would say that the GT would be my best option for sporty rides, solo, on twisty alpine roads, while the GTL would be my pick for two-up, long highway trips.

Both of them can be used in either of the above mentioned situations, it's just a matter of slight differences in the bike/rider setup that give a margin to one or the other model in the different types of use.

Coming from many years of KLT, my pick would be the GTL, which is already waaaay sportier than the KLT.

'12 R 1200 RT
'06 K 1200 LT (sold)
'05 Cagiva Navigator 1000 (sold)
'90 Kawasaki ZX10 (sold)
'82 Moto Guzzi V35 II (sold)
'82 Benelli Export 3V
post #9 of 9 Old Feb 25th, 2015, 5:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmajor View Post
Is the GTL and GT foot pegs in the same location?

Other main differences- I know the bags.

Tuning?
Handling?

Presently ride LT and GSA for perspective. Use TALL windscreen on both(6'4", short legs).
Dave, think you would be better off with the GTL; go take one out for a spin.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in