Trouble with windshield - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Dec 15th, 2014, 11:47 pm Thread Starter

Trouble with windshield

Finally made it to my dream bike.

I purchased a 2012 K1600GTL and everything but the windshield works great.

It will not go to the bottom or home position. I have checked the tracks and don't see any obstructions and was wondering if something else might be the problem?

It will go all the way up for maximum deflection but only goes halfway down and then stops.

Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Dec 16th, 2014, 5:55 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Trouble with windshield

I remember this on a tread on K1600Forum a few months back. I believe it was a faulty left switch cluster. Good news is BMW as a recall on both the left & right clusters. I would talk to your dealer about getting them both replaced.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 9 Old Dec 16th, 2014, 12:07 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

If there's no mechanical obstruction, then it's ether a faulty switch cluster, or the windshield motor needs to be calibrated (run to its full upper and lower limits to set the limit switch positions into memory).

Both items can be taken care of by your dealer.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 9 Old Dec 16th, 2014, 5:37 pm Thread Starter

Thanks. Ill post my findings
post #5 of 9 Old Dec 17th, 2014, 9:11 am

agree with katnappin, for me it was the switch cluster, replaced under warranty.

Tom Gary
Treasurer Curve Cowboy Reunion
2012 K1600GTL #1031

2009 R1200 GS Adventure Red

2000 K1200 LTC Canyon Red - SOLD
2004 K1200 GT Piedmont Red--SOLD

1971 Honda CB750K1
BMW MOA Life Member
BMW RA Member
AMA Member
MSTA Member

post #6 of 9 Old Dec 23rd, 2014, 6:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn View Post
I remember this on a tread on K1600Forum a few months back. I believe it was a faulty left switch cluster. Good news is BMW as a recall on both the left & right clusters. I would talk to your dealer about getting them both replaced.
Steve...is the recall official on these switches? I haven't received any information from BMW on it yet, if it is. My switches have been problem-free thus far, but warranty will expire in May and not getting much riding done here in Minnisnowda.

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey
post #7 of 9 Old Dec 23rd, 2014, 6:40 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid View Post
Steve...is the recall official on these switches? I haven't received any information from BMW on it yet, if it is. My switches have been problem-free thus far, but warranty will expire in May and not getting much riding done here in Minnisnowda.
I do not think there is anything being sent to owners letting them know about the recall yet. But it is official according to my local dealer. In fact JimE (on here & K1600Forum) took his bike in of regular service & was told that both of his switches would also be replaces while the bike was there. He has +- 60K miles & is way out of warranty.

Stevie Shreeve
post #8 of 9 Old Dec 23rd, 2014, 5:38 pm

My dealer just confirmed it also. Campaign (same as recall except they probably won't send letters to owners) to replace the switches gratis. That's really good news. If we ever see Spring here again I'll have the bike in the shop for switch replacement.

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey
post #9 of 9 Old Dec 23rd, 2014, 9:21 pm

Does that cover all years?

2005 H-D FXSTB/I
2014 BMW K1600 GTL
2014.5 Kawasaki KLR650

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in