Looking to buy a new 2015 GTL, Got Opinions? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Nov 1st, 2014, 8:54 pm Thread Starter

Looking to buy a new 2015 GTL, Got Opinions?

Hello Gents,

Talked to my dealer today and he has a beautiful 2015 black/silver GTL just waiting for me to take her home. There is no better person to ask than those who own and ride the GTL for real, honest and candid opinions, so I'd like to get your opinions on a few things before I lay down the cost for it...

1. Why is there a thread on "Towing?" How often have you been left stranded and required a tow? I'm sure it's important to 'know how to tow' if needed but I've never seen a thread on any other site dedicated to towing.
2. Faults and Failures? I'm aware of the engine corrosion complaints and ECU recall on earlier models. Other than those two, what has been your personal experience?
3. Issues with Corporate on Warranty Repairs? Have they been responsive and reasonable or have you had to fight to get a warranty issue fixed?
4. Any nagging problem that isn't covered by warranty and just aggravates the crap out of you?
5. As far as doing your own maintenance, is there anything that is excessively difficult or just a PITA to perform? I do all of my own maintenance and have on my last 34 bikes, three of those being Beemers.
5. Anything else negative to say about the GTL?
6. Please add what you love most about your GTL --

I've heard so many good and POSITIVE things about this bike and believe it is likely the best motorcycle EVER DESIGNED AND BUILT! However, I want to know exactly what to expect so I'm not blind-sided by anything.

Appreciate your insight, opinions and knowledge! THANKS!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Nov 2nd, 2014, 11:09 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Looking to buy a new 2015 GTL, Got Opinions?

Well Capt'n let's see if i can help with a few of your questions.

1. Why is there a thread on "Towing?" How often have you been left stranded and required a tow? I'm sure it's important to 'know how to tow' if needed but I've never seen a thread on any other site dedicated to towing.
I tow bikes for a living & have towed over 4200 bikes in the last 6 years. There are too many reasons for why a bike need to be towed to list but a few would be flat tire. wrecked , bead battery..... Everyone needs to know how to strap your bike down if you ever need it towed that is why that thread is here.
2. Faults and Failures? I'm aware of the engine corrosion complaints and ECU recall on earlier models. Other than those two, what has been your personal experience?
Early bikes had a few minor problems like any new model of car, bike ,truck or what have you
would have. leaking water pumps & switch clusters failing were the big two but both have been corrected for the most part on the newer bikes.

3. Issues with Corporate on Warranty Repairs? Have they been responsive and reasonable or have you had to fight to get a warranty issue fixed?
This will mainly depend on your Dealer & how they work with BMW. my local dealer has bent over backwards to fix any complaints from every one I know with any new BMW bike not just the K1600. Any good dealer will do that but the are some dealers out there who just look at the bottom line of the check book & not the care of their costumers.
4. Any nagging problem that isn't covered by warranty and just aggravates the crap out of you?
Squeaking front shock had never been properly fixed but a good spray lube will quit it for a while. The lower right storage bow used for an IPod gets too hot ut be used for what it was made for. Must of us see a thumb drive for music & that fixed the IPod issue.

5. As far as doing your own maintenance, is there anything that is excessively difficult or just a PITA to perform? I do all of my own maintenance and have on my last 34 bikes, three of those being Beemers.
Nope I find this bike much easier to work on over my last bike a K1200LT. I did have my dealer do the valve check & brake flush mainly 'cause I did not have time to do it Plu
s the low price I was charged was well worth letting them do it.

5. Anything else negative to say about the GTL?
Only it eats tires faster then my last bike but that is the price of a much more advanced & powerful bike.
6. Please add what you love most about your GTL --
That list would also be too long. It is everything I've wanted my last 3 or 4 bikes to be all rolled up into one bike.
I've heard so many good and POSITIVE things about this bike and believe it is likely the best motorcycle EVER DESIGNED AND BUILT! However, I want to know exactly what to expect so I'm not blind-sided by anything.
No bike is the perfect bike for everyone. Most people I know feel the way i do about the K1600 but some have bad bad luck with the bike or found it was just not what they were looking for. this is why there
are zoo many different makes & models of bikes out there.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 6 Old Nov 2nd, 2014, 12:20 pm

1. Some people just don't know how to treat an expensive bike.
2. Stalling when coming to a stop when I fist got the bike turned out to be a disconnected vaccume line. Repaired under warrenty.
3. Up do the dealer, find a good dealer.
4. I still have gas in the tank at zero miles to go.
5(a). If you've been doing BMWs then you know.
5(b). Bike wears out tires and runs low on gas. Have to keep filling up the tank and buying tires. Bike does not come with an intercom, though it does have BT sound.
6. It's freaking fun. Try it you'll like it.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.

post #4 of 6 Old Nov 2nd, 2014, 4:00 pm

Oh the GTL, what a bike!

Only have 4300 miles on my GTL and have enjoyed EVERY minute of it, it is way far superior than the LT and had 78K and again enjoyed every mile on the LT.

Dealer will do my service so can't answer your PITA DIY repairs; tow/strap points are good to know IF you ever have to have it towed. My GTL is a mid-year birthdate 2013 and the few issues that SOME of the 2012 and early 2013 models seemed to be have been addressed.

The bike runs like a dream with quick throttle response and superior handling; the built-in GPS and the electronic gizmos are good add-ons. The only thing that I don't like about the bike is that it is so much fun to ride while carving curves is that from what I hear, it eats tires!

If you decide to purchase the GTL, you will need a few extras such as the AeroFlow wings and mini wings, Strebel Nautilus horn, Ilium engine guards with foot rest, tip over bars for the panniers (C4 on the GTL forum sells these) and some auxiliary rear lighting. I would join the GTL Forum and troll the site for further information on the GT/GTL.

The bike is great.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #5 of 6 Old Nov 2nd, 2014, 4:50 pm

Great bike with some shortcomings out of the box.
-Wind protection from hands to shoulders is lacking. Aeroflow has a fix for this.
-The seat for me has me way to low , I feel trapped with the stock seat GT seat much better.
-Suspension way to soft in the soft setting. GT suspension is better matched to the bike.
-Maintenance the valve check is a true PITA.
-Throttle is quirky at low speeds and takeoff. I feel a lag with the throttle by wire . Hopefully one day it will get a software upgrade.
-It is a heavy bike albeit 80-100 lbs less than the LT.
-Pillion wind protection , is not that good pray it don't rain your wife will be upset. LT much better.
I would ride the GTL and GT and see what works for you . Then ride the RTW weather you ride 1 or 2 up it will keep you and the pillion happy. FWIW my wife say's the RTW offers more comfort than the GT/GTL and the LT. In the end I would choose the GT over the GTL and the RTW as first choice .
Hope to here feedback after test riding all 3.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #6 of 6 Old Nov 2nd, 2014, 6:53 pm

Use the cruise control. The K1600 gets real fast, real fast and you will not realize it until Officer Friendly tell you about it !

Oh.. and until you get used to the fly-by-wire throttle keep the beast in rain mode, least the dragon labeled "dynamic mode" concealed under the cowling gets loose and bites you.

My ony real complaint is that the engine whines a bit and reminds me of either an old style supercharger or a small turbine engine spooling up and down.

Other than those few items, it is a fine bike but simply not my kind of ride. I am a confirmed RT/GS/Boxer person for sure.

Doug Stracener
2011 RT polar metallic
Attorney,
MSF #127350,
Instructor, Motorcycle Safety Program Louisiana Department of Public Safety
NAUI Scuba Instructor #36288
Divers Alert Network Board member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in