Just a Hello - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By AustinGTL
  • 3 Post By meese

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Oct 1st, 2014, 6:37 am Thread Starter

Just a Hello

Just wanted to say hello & is there anyone in the austin area with a k16?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Oct 1st, 2014, 9:52 pm Thread Starter

Re: Just a Hello

After reading some threads & not liking what I have seen from the powers that be here I think I'll go somewhere else for my information. Does anyone know anything about the k1600 Forum? It seams like a busy place too.
post #3 of 8 Old Oct 1st, 2014, 9:58 pm
cws

Garage

Austin, I believe its part of the same group....
alternatively you've got I-BMW or K-bikes that I know of.... (add a .com behind either of them)

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #4 of 8 Old Oct 2nd, 2014, 6:12 am Thread Starter

Thanks Chris but now I'm very confused. You just posted in an open forum about 2 different online forums but your post was not removed by the owners of this site. From what I can gather from this thread if you send a PM about another Forum the PM would be deleted & the person who sent the PM will have all their post/threads removed. Do the people that own this site own both of the ones you just told me about also? If they do I do not think I want to join those site either. Sorry for being so paranoid but I've been a member of many forums & have never seen anything like this crap happen.
post #5 of 8 Old Oct 2nd, 2014, 7:06 am
cws

Garage

Everyone is sounding a little paranoid... I saw that other thread and had read it, checked my own messages and they all seem to be there. Doesn't mean others aren't being affected by some potential new "rule", or oversight.
I work in an industry that is completely computer based, and like it or not we get forced to adopt rules or situations that change the way I like to work because of all sorts of business reasons.... its a PITA most of the time, but the business survives so I stay employed.

The other 2 sites I mentioned, AFAIK, are not run by the same people as these forums are now. Not that I care either way... I don't get into any political aspects, I'm just here for the bike information, and invaluable that has been because of the knowledgeable people who hang out here, and some friendships I have made along the way... even with people I've never met or am likely to ever meet.

Up to you, but if you want great bike info on the LT's, RT's etc its a good place for that. The other sites have more info related to my GT which I don't get here so much.
Any site is only as good, or bad, as the people who contribute.

Hope you find yourself a happy place!

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #6 of 8 Old Oct 2nd, 2014, 7:14 am Thread Starter

Again thanks Chris. You make some good points but it just bothered me to come on as a new face as it were to see so much turmoil going on in a forum that was highly recommended to me by a friend. I'll try to over look the crap for now & stay around for a bit. I'll also check out the forums you told me about.
cws likes this.
post #7 of 8 Old Oct 2nd, 2014, 11:19 am
IBR# 366

Garage

This website evolved from an old email list started way back when the K1200LT was first released. We've moved through several iterations, and the main staff have done a stellar job growing things and reacting to user's needs.

But it's still a hobby for us, as well as them, and the amount of work, money, and time needed to maintain the site has increased a hundred-fold.

A decision was made to pass the administration of this website onto another group, who does this sort of thing professionally. That means they expect to get paid for their work, thus the proliferation of ads plastered all over every page.

Note that I don't see any of the ads, as I've been running an AdBlock extension for many years.

The recent kerfluffle has to do with some of the original admins and mods being upset about how commercial things were getting, and so they started up another website to get back to their roots and to cover a much wider range of bike brands and models.

Obviously, this is upsetting to a site that depends on advertising revenue based on user numbers, so any mentions of the new site are being censored, and those admins and mods have been banned and deleted.

I've been part of this community for 15 years or so, and I've had some great experiences and met some truly wonderful people. There's still a lot of good info to be had here on the K12LT, although it seems like the "newer" bikes are being covered in much more detail elsewhere.

That said, many of the banned folks are my friends, and have given so much of their time, energy, and knowledge to make this site what it has become. And I hate censorship on any grounds, not the least of which is for purely monetary reasons.

So it's up to each individual to decide whether this site offers them something worth their time and energy, or whether their efforts are better served elsewhere.
Gruivis, cws and AustinGTL like this.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 8 Old Oct 2nd, 2014, 7:33 pm
cws

Garage

thx Ken, that makes more sense of some of those posts now...
... and the world keeps changing...

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Last edited by cws; Oct 2nd, 2014 at 10:03 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in