Aeroflow Screen, Wings and Winglets - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 1LIFE2LIVE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Sep 30th, 2014, 3:26 pm Thread Starter

Question Aeroflow Screen, Wings and Winglets

Any GT(L) owners have these installed and if so what has been your experience at highway speeds?

Currently own an 08RT and have tested both the new RT and GT. The RT at highway speeds (80+mph) cuts through the wind whereas the GT experiences substantial turbulence under identical conditions.

Me 6'0", her 5'4".

Any and all real owner feedback will be Greatly Appreciated!

THANKS,
VS Jeff likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Sep 30th, 2014, 5:22 pm

Re: Aeroflow Screen, Wings and Winglets

I have the airflow windshield,wings, and winglets
It is a big improvement over the other shields i had.
5ft8in 29 inch inseam,
Not as good as my 09 RT but close.
I would buy again.
Hope this helps

2013 K1600GT
1967 R50/2
1965 Honda Sport 50
1943 Harley WLC Civy
post #3 of 21 Old Sep 30th, 2014, 5:49 pm

With the Aeroflow fix and the GT you may be just OK but she will not be as good as you. RTW plus the aeroflow shield will the bomb or may be second to only the LT with a aeroflow.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA

post #4 of 21 Old Sep 30th, 2014, 7:45 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses - any other real owner experiences with the Aeroflow system is Appreciated.

THANKS AGAIN,
post #5 of 21 Old Sep 30th, 2014, 8:04 pm

I have the Aeroflow GTL screen, with wings, and mini-wings. Protection is better than it was on the LT. You can easily remove the mini-wings and/or wings depending upon how much protection you want.

If riding one up, and the weather is nice, I regularly remove the minis. The minis add GREAT hand protection. The entire system makes for a very quiet environment as far as wind buffet.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #6 of 21 Old Sep 30th, 2014, 9:09 pm

I called Paige at Aeroflow and ended up with the tall GTL screen and both sets of wings. There was a world of difference both for me and my passenger. This is on a GTL. Call Paige, he is very good at recommending what will work for you, by your size and weight, and what you want. He had me sit on the bike and look at the stock screen while on the phone.

Dale

"The shortest distance between two points is often unbearable."
— Charles Bukowski
post #7 of 21 Old Sep 30th, 2014, 9:34 pm

GTL with a GT seat, I'm 6'2", she's 5'2". I'm running the Medium GT screen, no ugly wings. Much better airflow, though with the fairing out so far you get a bit of a backdraft. Nice thing is that you still get air to the torso for your jacket vents.

The wings and winglets, aside from looking hideous, would block that air. I can ride 80mph with a half helmet without buffeting. My wife gets more air than she'd prefer, but she rarely rides back there when it's cold.

2005 H-D FXSTB/I
2014 BMW K1600 GTL
2014.5 Kawasaki KLR650
post #8 of 21 Old Oct 1st, 2014, 7:35 am Thread Starter

EXCELLENT - any and all other real owner feedback with the Aeroflow screens, wings and mini-wings at highway speeds on the GT or GTL is Greatly Appreciated!

THANK YOU,
post #9 of 21 Old Apr 26th, 2015, 2:51 pm

I have/had the whole kit from AeroFlow.. wings, winglets, and medium GT windshield. I too am 6' the Diva 5'3".
after riding last summer with that setup, i immediately re-installed the stock windscreen and removed the AeroFlow screen. IMHO the bike looks odd with the milky white AeroFlow.. and i had a difficult time with visual distortion with the AeroFlow.
i am very pleased with the wings and winglets….. those make a HUGE difference… I bought the smoked set for my Mineral silver GTL

regards

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 21 Old Apr 26th, 2015, 4:47 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrnprnte View Post
I have/had the whole kit from AeroFlow.. wings, winglets, and medium GT windshield. I too am 6' the Diva 5'3".
after riding last summer with that setup, i immediately re-installed the stock windscreen and removed the AeroFlow screen. IMHO the bike looks odd with the milky white AeroFlow.. and i had a difficult time with visual distortion with the AeroFlow.
i am very pleased with the wings and winglets….. those make a HUGE difference… I bought the smoked set for my Mineral silver GTL

regards

Mike
Thanks Mike - We just picked up the wings and mini wings in smoke and have put on over 600+ miles at various highway speeds (80+mph=) they work EXCELLENT for us also!

Still debating on getting one of their screens as Ive heard that they are "milky" but like this set of wings are very effective at wind management. How was your GT medium screen wind management wise for you and your pillion especially at highway speeds?

THANKS AGAIN FOR EVERYONE'S FEEDBACK,
post #11 of 21 Old Apr 26th, 2015, 5:23 pm

I have the full Aeroflot setup with GT medium screen. Nice pocket of comfortable air. It is the time of year for me to take the mini wings off to put some air on my jacket. I agree that the Aeroflot screen is a cloudy bluish tint but it doesn't really bother me as I look over it. When my wife rides she is comfortable although she is getting more wind sitting up high on the GTL. She likes wind!!

Chris

2014 GTL
2015 RT
post #12 of 21 Old Apr 26th, 2015, 7:03 pm

Functionally is was great. The curled top lip of the Aeroflow screen is awesome. I just can't get past the visual distortion looking through the screen when raised and the milky colour.

I'm thinking of selling mine as it is doing me no good. I am going to stay with the stock screen in combo with the wing(let's)

Regards
W

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LIFE2LIVE View Post
Thanks Mike - We just picked up the wings and mini wings in smoke and have put on over 600+ miles at various highway speeds (80+mph=) they work EXCELLENT for us also!

Still debating on getting one of their screens as Ive heard that they are "milky" but like this set of wings are very effective at wind management. How was your GT medium screen wind management wise for you and your pillion especially at highway speeds?

THANKS AGAIN FOR EVERYONE'S FEEDBACK,

post #13 of 21 Old Apr 26th, 2015, 8:28 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

I've had six different AeroFlow screen on my two GTL's. A couple of hand-built prototype screens, and several standard production screens, and have had no issues with any sort of cloudiness or distortion.

I've seen a couple of pics on this forum where you could see a bit of a barely whitish tint, but none of my screens has exhibited that.

You might want to call AeroFlow and discuss it with them directly . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #14 of 21 Old Apr 26th, 2015, 8:56 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese View Post
I've had six different AeroFlow screen on my two GTL's. A couple of hand-built prototype screens, and several standard production screens, and have had no issues with any sort of cloudiness or distortion.

I've seen a couple of pics on this forum where you could see a bit of a barely whitish tint, but none of my screens has exhibited that.

You might want to call AeroFlow and discuss it with them directly . . .
Plus 1 , my Aeroflow screen is clear except for all the bugs

Stevie Shreeve
post #15 of 21 Old Apr 26th, 2015, 10:06 pm

Just an observation - Seems that BMW would have noticed this would be an issue, especially as compared to the LT, and would have an OEM solution (with fit and finish comparable to the rest of the bike).

Also would be nice to have an in depth interview with some of the lead design guys to discuss their thinking about this and other issues. Not to beat them up but just to get some insight.

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #16 of 21 Old Apr 27th, 2015, 9:11 am

There are other options out there to look at. Myself I have the v stream with the wings. Works great! Puts a little air in the areas I want it. Had a Rt for then years, loved that bike! Very good protection. Less with the GT but that is the way I like it. We are after all riding bikes. Not like we can just roll up the windows.

2015 GT Sport
post #17 of 21 Old Apr 27th, 2015, 9:44 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruivis View Post
Seems that BMW would have noticed this would be an issue, especially as compared to the LT, and would have an OEM solution (with fit and finish comparable to the rest of the bike).
BMW's stock windscreens are made from polycarbonate, which is more expensive and harder to form. Almost all aftermarket screen are made from acrylic sheets.

One issue is that BMW designs screens to fit a certain aesthetic, more so than for optimum wind flow. So they work well, but not great, leaving the aftermarket plenty of room for improvement.

Every BMW I've owned has benefitted from an aftermarket screen.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #18 of 21 Old May 3rd, 2015, 7:46 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruivis View Post
Just an observation - Seems that BMW would have noticed this would be an issue, especially as compared to the LT, and would have an OEM solution (with fit and finish comparable to the rest of the bike).

Also would be nice to have an in depth interview with some of the lead design guys to discuss their thinking about this and other issues. Not to beat them up but just to get some insight.
Every OEM solution is a compromise. The aftermarket allows you to customize and tailor to you.

Having said that, my 07 LT still has stock screen and seats. All I needed for long distance comfort was a bead rider and LDC underwear.

I had no issue with the GTL seat, other than bring too low, but wind and weather protection was another issue altogether. I won't repeat here as I provided an extensive write up back in 2013 after my two week GTL rental.

Suffice to say that the GTL has a different design goal than the LT. I view the LT as a luxury touring bike with a bent towards sport touring. Contrast this to the Wing which is luxury touring period, more at home on the interstate at 60 than the autobahn at 120 or a twisty mountain road. And, yes, I know that folks can push a Wing fast in the curves if they really work at it. I see the GTL as a sport touring bike with some consideration given to two-up luxury touring, but only a little more consideration than the GT.

Things such as less comfortable passenger seat and backrest, no passenger audio controls, removable bags and trunk, the latter which is butt ugly like the sport bike trunks, etc., make it clear that carrying a passenger is not a primary design objective of the GTL.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #19 of 21 Old May 4th, 2015, 12:49 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
carrying a passenger is not a primary design objective of the GTL.
I (still) disagree.

Carrying a passenger is not the primary goal of the GTL, but it was definitely right up there in the design criteria.

And the GTL Exclusive takes it just a step further.

No it's not an LT, and it never will be. For some, that remains a disappointment. For others, it's what makes the GTL special, and so much more fun to ride . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #20 of 21 Old May 4th, 2015, 5:40 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese View Post
I (still) disagree.

Carrying a passenger is not the primary goal of the GTL, but it was definitely right up there in the design criteria.

And the GTL Exclusive takes it just a step further.

No it's not an LT, and it never will be. For some, that remains a disappointment. For others, it's what makes the GTL special, and so much more fun to ride . . .
I thought you might.

I would like to see the original design goals for the GT/GTL. I bet passenger comfort wasn't in the top ten.

I don't ride as passenger so I can't assess personally. I have only one passenger that matters and she completely disagrees with you. For her, remember she is fairly tall, it is night and day going from LT to GTL. She didn't like the huge height difference between pilot and copilot seats, the huge amount of wind, the rain exposure, the seat comfort (lack thereof), the backrest comfort (ditto), lack of radio controls, hidden passenger grab rails, and the ugliness of the "tacked on afterthought" look of the trunk.

Yes, I realize some of these can be mitigated with yet more money, but the stock bike is what we test ride. And the stock GTL is WAY less comfortable for a tall passenger than is a stock LT. And stock it is less comfortable for a tall rider also and with almost no hand protection from wind and rain.

I agree with your last statement. The GTL had different design goals than the LT and will appeal to a different segment. And it does fix a number of design mistakes BMW made on the LT such as the dry clutch, slave cylinder, etc. I wish I could bring some of those over to the LT. Or better yet, bring the complete FJ1300A drive train over. That is one sweet engine and tranny compared to the LT or even the GTL. MUCH smoother fuel injection without the abrupt low speed transitions of every BMW I have ridden. But for now, then LT is the best compromise for two-up touring.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #21 of 21 Old May 5th, 2015, 3:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismusil View Post
I have the airflow windshield,wings, and winglets
It is a big improvement over the other shields i had.
5ft8in 29 inch inseam,
Not as good as my 09 RT but close.
I would buy again.
Hope this helps
I'm a tad shorter and both the Aero wings and mini wings works just fine at 90 mph! Wife is shorter than I am and she doesn't have any problems with buffeting. Ride on!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in