K1600 question from an RT rider - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By meese
  • 1 Post By meese
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old Sep 26th, 2014, 3:41 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
brock29609's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Greenville, SC, USA
Posts: 446
K1600 question from an RT rider

So why is it that my local dealer's used lot is always so full of K1600 bikes? Are folks disappointment with them? Are people finding out it's too much bike for them?

Get this. The salesman told me "BMW people" have so much disposable income that they trade in their their bikes every year for a new one, and people are trading a their K16 for a newer K16. Obviously I didn't accept this explanation.

2010 BMW R1200R
2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
2007 BMW R1200RT (sold)
Greenville, SC USA
brock29609 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 34 Old Sep 26th, 2014, 4:35 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
 
katnapinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Kyle, Texas, USA
Posts: 8,597
Re: K1600 question from an RT rider

The simple answer is Yes to all your questions. I know a lot of people have either traded their K1600 in for another bike weather it was an other K16 or a RT or GS. Others have put 50, 60, 70K or more on their first K1600 & traded up to the new GTLE. A few just thought the bike did not fit them for what ever reason, be it to big, to heavy or just did not like the bike. Some folks just like new toys & tire of the old ones quickly.

Stevie Shreeve
katnapinn is offline  
post #3 of 34 Old Sep 26th, 2014, 8:22 pm
IBR# 366
 
meese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: West Linn, OR
Posts: 16,479
Garage
Re: K1600 question from an RT rider

Remember, we're just coming off the Stop Riding order on the '14 RT-W bikes. Many owners were given K16's as temp loaner bikes, and these have been returned to BMW by now.

You'll also start seeing a bunch of lightly-used RT-W bikes on the market, as BMW re-certifies the ones that were traded back in.
tvguy likes this.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
meese is offline  
 
post #4 of 34 Old Sep 29th, 2014, 9:35 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,290
Re: K1600 question from an RT rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock29609 View Post
So why is it that my local dealer's used lot is always so full of K1600 bikes? Are folks disappointment with them? Are people finding out it's too much bike for them?

Get this. The salesman told me "BMW people" have so much disposable income that they trade in their their bikes every year for a new one, and people are trading a their K16 for a newer K16. Obviously I didn't accept this explanation.
I haven't seen that problem in my area. Last time I checked, my local dealer had none at all (Kissell in State College, PA).

I am sure some riders trade annually, but I suspect that is a very small minority.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
post #5 of 34 Old Nov 11th, 2014, 7:41 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Pennsdale, Pa.
Posts: 133
Re: K1600 question from an RT rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I haven't seen that problem in my area. Last time I checked, my local dealer had none at all (Kissell in State College, PA).

I am sure some riders trade annually, but I suspect that is a very small minority.
I just traded my GTL in for a buyback RT at Kissell's today. I just got tired of the problems with the K-bike after 2 years of ownership. I hope I have better luck with the RT. Either way they are both Great bikes to ride.
Gradona is offline  
post #6 of 34 Old Nov 11th, 2014, 7:55 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,290
Re: K1600 question from an RT rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradona View Post
I just traded my GTL in for a buyback RT at Kissell's today. I just got tired of the problems with the K-bike after 2 years of ownership. I hope I have better luck with the RT. Either way they are both Great bikes to ride.
I thought the 1600 was relatively trouble-free, at least as compared to the LT. What sort of problems did you have? How do you like the RT?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
post #7 of 34 Old Nov 11th, 2014, 8:16 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Pennsdale, Pa.
Posts: 133
I had both switch pods replaced, the water pump was replaced and the last straw was the empty coolant reservoir 1500 miles after the water pump replacement. Also tire replacement at 5K and the oil consumption of a quart every 2 to 3K was getting old.
Don't get me wrong, the bike is a blast to ride but enough was enough.
Gradona is offline  
post #8 of 34 Old Nov 12th, 2014, 4:02 pm
Senior Member
 
mwnahas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Bedford Hts, OH, USA
Posts: 4,234
Re: K1600 question from an RT rider

Quite a few traded for the 'Exclusive'. I almost bought a used 2013 instead of the new 2014, but it was the slow color.
Once the dealer set it up right I had a problem free riding season.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
mwnahas is offline  
post #9 of 34 Old Nov 22nd, 2014, 9:42 pm
Member
 
reddingrdr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: REDDING, CA, USA
Posts: 38
Re: K1600 question from an RT rider

Good evening,

I'm a very happy 2014 GTL owner. It handles well and of course the motor is a treat. Being a bit inseam challenged, I find the GTL easier at stops. I've owned two RT cam heads with no complaints, sweet rides. One day I got a call from Ozzies. I rode my RT into the dealer w/ 33,000 miles on it and rode out on a GTL---haven't looked back. I think it's a special ride.

Ron

2012 R1200RT
2001 R1150GS
reddingrdr is offline  
post #10 of 34 Old Nov 23rd, 2014, 5:01 pm
Senior Member
 
murray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Stroudsburg, PA, USA
Posts: 1,831
Re: K1600 question from an RT rider

Odds are you will see more 1600's on the market. The RTW is in all respects superior.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
murray is offline  
post #11 of 34 Old Nov 23rd, 2014, 7:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,290
Re: K1600 question from an RT rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray View Post
Odds are you will see more 1600's on the market. The RTW is in all respects superior.
That is too funny. No bike is in all aspects superior to any other bike. Every bike has something it does better than almost any other bike ... Even if the only advantage is costing less.

I have yet to ride an RTW, but it would be a miracle if engineering if it was smoother than a 1600. The vibration of the opposed twins is one of the key reasons reason I bought an LT rather than an RT back in 07.

If BMW found a way to make this twin smoother than an inline 6, then I need to test ride a water head!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
post #12 of 34 Old Nov 23rd, 2014, 10:09 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 213
Re: K1600 question from an RT rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
That is too funny. No bike is in all aspects superior to any other bike. Every bike has something it does better than almost any other bike ... Even if the only advantage is costing less.

I have yet to ride an RTW, but it would be a miracle if engineering if it was smoother than a 1600. The vibration of the opposed twins is one of the key reasons reason I bought an LT rather than an RT back in 07.

If BMW found a way to make this twin smoother than an inline 6, then I need to test ride a water head!
Agreed Voyager. I've never ridden a k16, but the '14 rt is pretty smooth.

2017 R1200GS low
2019 Triumph Street Triple R
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
2012 Ducati Diavel (gone)
2014 R1200RT (gone)
2008 R1200GS (gone)
2007 SV650 Naked (gone)
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge (gone)
2006 Harley Ultra (gone)
1992 Harley Electra Glide Classic (gone)


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
pbsrides is offline  
post #13 of 34 Old Nov 23rd, 2014, 10:41 pm
IBR# 366
 
meese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: West Linn, OR
Posts: 16,479
Garage
Re: K1600 question from an RT rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray View Post
The RTW is in all respects superior.
And I hear you can get a great deal on those, with a free brand new rear shock!

Seriously, I've just never really been a Boxer fan. I know a lot of guys who love them, and ride the hëll out of them, but that Boxer Buzz just seems to turn me off every time I ride one.

I hear the RT-W are much smoother, with a lot of other nice features, and I like the idea of losing another hundred pounds or more, but I still hesitate to give up that Slant/6 smoothness and massive torque. I suppose I do need to test ride an RT-W, just to see for myself.

Now the S1000XR, tipping in at a measly 500 lbs or so with a proper upright riding position, is starting to look awfully tempting . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
meese is offline  
post #14 of 34 Old Nov 24th, 2014, 5:06 am
Senior Member
 
murray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Stroudsburg, PA, USA
Posts: 1,831
Re: K1600 question from an RT rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
That is too funny. No bike is in all aspects superior to any other bike. Every bike has something it does better than almost any other bike ... Even if the only advantage is costing less.

I have yet to ride an RTW, but it would be a miracle if engineering if it was smoother than a 1600. The vibration of the opposed twins is one of the key reasons reason I bought an LT rather than an RT back in 07.

If BMW found a way to make this twin smoother than an inline 6, then I need to test ride a water head!
Voyager you really need to ride the RTW otherwise your opinion is invalid. The LT you ride is a good bike but..

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
murray is offline  
post #15 of 34 Old Nov 24th, 2014, 5:08 am
Senior Member
 
murray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Stroudsburg, PA, USA
Posts: 1,831
Re: K1600 question from an RT rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese View Post
And I hear you can get a great deal on those, with a free brand new rear shock!

Seriously, I've just never really been a Boxer fan. I know a lot of guys who love them, and ride the hëll out of them, but that Boxer Buzz just seems to turn me off every time I ride one.

I hear the RT-W are much smoother, with a lot of other nice features, and I like the idea of losing another hundred pounds or more, but I still hesitate to give up that Slant/6 smoothness and massive torque. I suppose I do need to test ride an RT-W, just to see for myself.

Now the S1000XR, tipping in at a measly 500 lbs or so with a proper upright riding position, is starting to look awfully tempting . . .
Ken you owe it to yourself to test one out.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
murray is offline  
post #16 of 34 Old Nov 24th, 2014, 8:30 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,290
Re: K1600 question from an RT rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray View Post
Voyager you really need to ride the RTW otherwise your opinion is invalid. The LT you ride is a good bike but..
I will likely try out both the GTL Exclusive and the RTW, even though the LT still suits my needs pretty well. Once I get the clutch repaired, I will decide whether to keep it or move to something newer.

My opinion is valid based on 30+ years of engineering. It is virtually impossible to make an opposed twin as smooth as an inline six. If BMW really pulled that off, that would be a mechanical engineering miracle. And absolute statements such as "in all respects superior" are almost always wrong.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
post #17 of 34 Old Nov 24th, 2014, 10:59 am
IBR# 366
 
meese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: West Linn, OR
Posts: 16,479
Garage
Re: K1600 question from an RT rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray View Post
Ken you owe it to yourself to test one out.
I will, one day. But I'm happy with my GTL so far.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
meese is offline  
post #18 of 34 Old Nov 24th, 2014, 1:05 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,290
Re: K1600 question from an RT rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese View Post
I will, one day. But I'm happy with my GTL so far.
I feel much the same about my LT, but will try an RTW when I get a chance. I tried the GTL and it wasn't quite what I hoped for, but, who knows, maybe the RTW will be a suitable LT successor. I would love to get back to a robust wet clutch like my Voyager had. I am encouragd that BMW finally saw the light in the clutch department. :-)

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
post #19 of 34 Old Nov 24th, 2014, 4:12 pm
Senior Member
 
murray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Stroudsburg, PA, USA
Posts: 1,831
Re: K1600 question from an RT rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese View Post
I will, one day. But I'm happy with my GTL so far.
Understand, time is a bit limited to get the bike set up with the Butt coming up.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
murray is offline  
post #20 of 34 Old Nov 26th, 2014, 12:53 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 178
Re: K1600 question from an RT rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I have yet to ride an RTW, but it would be a miracle if engineering if it was smoother than a 1600.
Indeed. And it's NOT. Not even close. Owned a '14 RT, and have ridden 6s enough.

Long time K-bike owner here, but jumped on the RT due to BMW not having sorted the GT after 4 years. And because everything else other than the motor was better on the RT: Brembo radial brakes, 150# less, telelever vs duolever (MUCH shorter wheelbase, therefore nimbler and sportier), new dash with full gauges, quick-shifter, hill-assist, plus all other features also present on the GT: TPMS, single-sided swingarm, TC, stereo, BT, central locking, electric windscreen, cruise control, etc. Loved the bike but although less than the departed K1300S, engine vibration was still a problem... not to mention the power delivery (never warmed up to it). Glad it was recalled, because after living with it for 1K miles, I realized it was a mistake to buy it. Thankfully BMW paid for most of my farkles, which amounted to thousands of dollars. So yes, will switch to the GT whale just because of the smoother and much more powerful/torquey engine .

2014 R1200RT Callisto Grey MET with Comfort, Touring, Dynamic and Luxury packages. MODS: BMW Nav V, BMW Akra sport exhaust, BMW oil-filler cap, BMW cycle cover, BMW bag logos, rear fender bracket/roundel, grip puppies, radiator screens, Bestem liners, no reflectors/stickers, Hornig frame plugs.
elp_jc is offline  
post #21 of 34 Old Nov 27th, 2014, 7:37 am
Senior Member
 
ka5ysy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Prairieville, Louisiana, USA
Posts: 1,277
Re: K1600 question from an RT rider

Interesting discussion.

I get to test ride the bikes quite a bit so I can discuss them with my students so I can put in my 2 cents worth.

I have been riding boxers since a R50 I ran across in Istanbul in 1969. The current bike is the Camhead RT which I dearly love, and does everything pretty well.

The new wethead bike "feels" lighter and flicks around a bit faster and you can definitely feel the HP difference on roll-on. The dynamic mode is "interesting" and the bike will accelerate at a startling rate if you are not prepared for the fly-by-wire throttle response. The only real issue I have is that the stock windscreen kind of sucks, and would be changed out instantly if I purchased that bike.

The first time I road a K1600GTL (first year model) the bike was spotted on a slightly uphill parking space. The driveway was bout 20 feet wide at that point and would require a fast 90 degree turn to be made to not hit the side of the dealership building. I got a feel for the clutch then rolled on the throttle and did a fast turn left out of the parking lot, then a quick 90 degree right onto the roadway. The bike really surprised me at the nimble roll rate left and right, and did not feel like a big, long, heavy bike. In twisties it is quite capable of chasing crotch rockets and will snap around in turns quite easily. It does not ride like a big heavy bike at all. Out on the road, the inline 6 is as smooth as our engines in the BMW X5 and X3 cars. The K16 engine is definitely a powerhouse and the torque is amazing in any gear. 6th gear roll-on will tug your arms, so hold on. Passing is a blast. You also better use the cruise control because the bike goes real fast, real fast, and you do not feel it if you are not watching the speedometer.

In short the K16 is a great bike, and the updates in later models correct a lot of the minor issues with the first models. The GTL Exclusive is not a bad deal because it come equipped with stuff that you usually add on in aftermarket parts anyway. Anyone familiar with how Harley-Davidson sets up the CVO bikes will understand that while they are expensive, they are also cheaper than if you equip a non-CVO with all the chrome and other stuff that comes standard on the CVO. Think of the GTL-E as the BMW CVO bike. I can report that I have converted a couple of my HD friends off their HOG's to the GTL-E and they were amazed at how far superior the Beemer is to the HD iron they were riding. After I lead one of the my friends on a test ride, we took a stop after about a 30 minute run on some twisty roads and he said:

" I was riding along and kept wondering what I was missing. Something seemed not right. Then it hit me ... I was running along at twice the speed I usually ride the Ultra on the same road, and nothing was scraping. The brakes actually work deep into a turn setup, and then it really hit me: I could hear the radio clearly and I was not getting my legs burned off !".

He had a huge grin on his face when we got back to the dealership and he wrote a check for the GTL-E. Being a Harley convert he has done one modification on the bike, and that was to remove the rear case and armrests. It make the bike look great, and his wife mostly does not ride with him so no big deal.

My only minor gripe with the K16 is the whine the engine makes. It reminds me of an old Chevy Impala a friend had with a supercharger stacked on top. Same kind of whine exactly !

All that said, I love my Boxer. It is my kind of bike and the Camhead RT is perfectly dialed in for me, with lots of add-on aftermarket stuff. It is also very easy to work on, and is a long term keeper. The only bike that kind of interests me at this point is a GS Adventure wethead, if I ever get a chance to ride one. The dealership keeps selling them as fast as they arrive !

Doug Stracener
2011 RT polar metallic
Attorney,
MSF #127350,
Instructor, Motorcycle Safety Program Louisiana Department of Public Safety
NAUI Scuba Instructor #36288
Divers Alert Network Board member

Last edited by ka5ysy; Nov 27th, 2014 at 8:11 am.
ka5ysy is offline  
post #22 of 34 Old Dec 8th, 2014, 5:40 pm
Ric
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Muskego, WI, USA
Posts: 836
Re: K1600 question from an RT rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray View Post
Voyager you really need to ride the RTW otherwise your opinion is invalid. The LT you ride is a good bike but..
Interesting comments, my son owned a 1200RT and comparing that bike to my K1600 was like comparing a sows ear to a silk purse. While the 1200RT was a fun bike under very specific circumstances it in no way, other than having an engine and two wheels, compared to a K1600.

I rode a 2015 1200 RTW just to see how one compared to a K1600 and I expected much more from that bike, but didn't get it. Oh it was pretty quick and it was MUCH smoother than previous RT's, but it wasn't even close to being as smooth as a K1600. Realistically and mechanically an opposed twin can't be as smooth as an in-line 6. On my test ride I specially took a route that went up a rather steep hill. At the start of the hill I was in 4th gear and before I reached the top I had to shift the 1200 RTW into 3rd as it was really struggling to crest the hill. I went back to the dealership and jumped on a 2015 K1600 GTL and traversed the same route that I took the 1200 RTW on. Started up the hill on the GTL in 4th gear and stayed in 4th all the way to the crest. The engine didn't protest this little test at all and in fact seemed quite happy to go up the incline.

Bear in mind the RT is quite a bit lighter than the K1600 and the horsepower to weight ratio between the two bikes isn't all that different. I went back to the dealership and bought the 2015 GTL that I rode that day. The RTW just didn't have what I want in a motorcycle. I personally think the K1600 is just as nimble as the 1200RT and if you don't think it is, you haven't spent enough time on a K1600.

Rick
Ric is offline  
post #23 of 34 Old Dec 9th, 2014, 6:50 am
Senior Member
 
murray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Stroudsburg, PA, USA
Posts: 1,831
Re: K1600 question from an RT rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Interesting comments, my son owned a 1200RT and comparing that bike to my K1600 was like comparing a sows ear to a silk purse. While the 1200RT was a fun bike under very specific circumstances it in no way, other than having an engine and two wheels, compared to a K1600.

I rode a 2015 1200 RTW just to see how one compared to a K1600 and I expected much more from that bike, but didn't get it. Oh it was pretty quick and it was MUCH smoother than previous RT's, but it wasn't even close to being as smooth as a K1600. Realistically and mechanically an opposed twin can't be as smooth as an in-line 6. On my test ride I specially took a route that went up a rather steep hill. At the start of the hill I was in 4th gear and before I reached the top I had to shift the 1200 RTW into 3rd as it was really struggling to crest the hill. I went back to the dealership and jumped on a 2015 K1600 GTL and traversed the same route that I took the 1200 RTW on. Started up the hill on the GTL in 4th gear and stayed in 4th all the way to the crest. The engine didn't protest this little test at all and in fact seemed quite happy to go up the incline.

Bear in mind the RT is quite a bit lighter than the K1600 and the horsepower to weight ratio between the two bikes isn't all that different. I went back to the dealership and bought the 2015 GTL that I rode that day. The RTW just didn't have what I want in a motorcycle. I personally think the K1600 is just as nimble as the 1200RT and if you don't think it is, you haven't spent enough time on a K1600.

Rick
Strongly Agree to Disagree on your impression in all categories except the motor. I will give the 6 the smoothness nod. Slight nod in overall power to the 6. The RTW with less HP TQE makes up for this with a Much Quicker Revving motor and yes less mass. Regarding Handling ,Suspension , Breaking , Flickability and ease of maintenance the RTW get's the nod for sure.
BTW I have spent more than enough time on the 6 . My opinion is based on 2 months and 5000 miles riding the 2014 GT .

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
murray is offline  
post #24 of 34 Old Dec 20th, 2014, 11:08 am
Senior Member
 
adirondackjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Saratoga Springs, NY, USA
Posts: 215
Re: K1600 question from an RT rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray View Post
Strongly Agree to Disagree on your impression in all categories except the motor. I will give the 6 the smoothness nod. Slight nod in overall power to the 6. The RTW with less HP TQE makes up for this with a Much Quicker Revving motor and yes less mass. Regarding Handling ,Suspension , Breaking , Flickability and ease of maintenance the RTW get's the nod for sure.
BTW I have spent more than enough time on the 6 . My opinion is based on 2 months and 5000 miles riding the 2014 GT .
Hi Pete!

I have quietly listened to your opinion on this subject in the multiple threads where you have weighed in extolling the virtue of the new RTWC, and Herm also conveyed some of your opinions on this subject to me. Personally, I think it is a rare experience when one of us finds his true "sweet spot" on a bike. I think that is what has happened for you on the RTWC, and anyone of us should be envious of you for finding that place for yourself. Recall that I was stuck with the "do not ride" drama at the same time you were. My situation is different than yours, and not the subject of this post, except to say that I can definitely attest to the fact that if anyone has the knowledge and experience to make a decision between these two bikes. . . . . . . . you do, because of the 2 month+ loaner of the GT from Hermy's before you got back your beloved RTWC.

So. . . . . . . what's my point (s)?

1. Pete definitely knows a lot about what it's like to extensively drive both bikes.
2. Pete knows what's good for Pete.
3. Reasonable people can disagree. For example, as a longtime disciple of the RT Roundel and a skeptic of the K16 Roundel, I have decided (for myself) that I prefer the K16. To re-affirm that I wasn't crazy, I jumped back on the RTWC 2 months ago at Max's after riding my '14GT all day. Truthfully, the RT came across as a diesel truck compared to the GT. Not a criticism, just an observation, and an opinion that applies only to how I feel about the two bikes. Couldn't wait to get back on my GT. And remember, I have been an RT man for more than 7 years before this.
4. Finally, that we are all entitled to our own misguided opinions, and need to respect the misguided ones of others.

Just my poorly considered $.02

Rep

Smile. . . .I used to be BEHIND YOU!
____________________________________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
adirondackjack is offline  
post #25 of 34 Old Dec 22nd, 2014, 7:04 am
Ric
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Muskego, WI, USA
Posts: 836
Re: K1600 question from an RT rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray View Post
Strongly Agree to Disagree on your impression in all categories except the motor. I will give the 6 the smoothness nod. Slight nod in overall power to the 6. The RTW with less HP TQE makes up for this with a Much Quicker Revving motor and yes less mass. Regarding Handling ,Suspension , Breaking , Flickability and ease of maintenance the RTW get's the nod for sure.
BTW I have spent more than enough time on the 6 . My opinion is based on 2 months and 5000 miles riding the 2014 GT .
I strongly disagree that the RTW revs faster than the K1600. Perhaps when you are in neutral and just revving up the engine the RTW may "seem" like it revs faster, but on the street, under power the K1600 most definitely has the advantage of quicker rpm. This was more than apparent to me when I tested both bikes going up that steep hill on my test ride. The RTW just kind of bogged down like an old John Deere would, but the K1600 just purred right along taking the hill in stride. Don't know how you can give the RTW the "nod" as you say in suspension when the two bikes are almost identical in that regard. The RTW may feel more "flickable" to you, but I like the extra weight of the K1600 as it makes for a much more settled ride versus the RTW. I could definitely notice the weight difference between the two bikes out on the Interstate mixing it up with truck and car traffic. The extra mass of the K1600 didn't end up getting blown around as much as the RTW.

Rick
Ric is offline  
post #26 of 34 Old Dec 22nd, 2014, 9:46 am
Senior Member
 
adirondackjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Saratoga Springs, NY, USA
Posts: 215
Re: K1600 question from an RT rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
I strongly disagree that the RTW revs faster than the K1600. Perhaps when you are in neutral and just revving up the engine the RTW may "seem" like it revs faster, but on the street, under power the K1600 most definitely has the advantage of quicker rpm. This was more than apparent to me when I tested both bikes going up that steep hill on my test ride. The RTW just kind of bogged down like an old John Deere would, but the K1600 just purred right along taking the hill in stride. Don't know how you can give the RTW the "nod" as you say in suspension when the two bikes are almost identical in that regard. The RTW may feel more "flickable" to you, but I like the extra weight of the K1600 as it makes for a much more settled ride versus the RTW. I could definitely notice the weight difference between the two bikes out on the Interstate mixing it up with truck and car traffic. The extra mass of the K1600 didn't end up getting blown around as much as the RTW.

Rick
+1 Rick. Definitely my sentiments!

Smile. . . .I used to be BEHIND YOU!
____________________________________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
adirondackjack is offline  
post #27 of 34 Old Dec 22nd, 2014, 12:03 pm
Senior Member
 
murray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Stroudsburg, PA, USA
Posts: 1,831
Re: K1600 question from an RT rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
I strongly disagree that the RTW revs faster than the K1600. Perhaps when you are in neutral and just revving up the engine the RTW may "seem" like it revs faster, but on the street, under power the K1600 most definitely has the advantage of quicker rpm. This was more than apparent to me when I tested both bikes going up that steep hill on my test ride. The RTW just kind of bogged down like an old John Deere would, but the K1600 just purred right along taking the hill in stride. Don't know how you can give the RTW the "nod" as you say in suspension when the two bikes are almost identical in that regard. The RTW may feel more "flickable" to you, but I like the extra weight of the K1600 as it makes for a much more settled ride versus the RTW. I could definitely notice the weight difference between the two bikes out on the Interstate mixing it up with truck and car traffic. The extra mass of the K1600 didn't end up getting blown around as much as the RTW.

Rick
Perhaps the 2014 GT I rode for 2 months was a Lemon,I doubt it. To me it was very obvious the GT took more time to spool up through the RPM range.

In fact the hallmark BMW for Interstate stability is the LT . The GT in Stock form compared to the LT for Interstate stability hammers the rider with dirty air from Hand's to Shoulders and is even worse with rain/ cold temperatures. For me the RTW is close to the LT for interstate conditions and may be better with a Aero Flow windshield, if they ever get it on the market. Other traits you mention are just not worth my time addressing.

Enjoy the GT no doubt it is a great bike and the right one for you..

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
murray is offline  
post #28 of 34 Old Dec 22nd, 2014, 1:03 pm
Ric
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Muskego, WI, USA
Posts: 836
Re: K1600 question from an RT rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray View Post
Perhaps the 2014 GT I rode for 2 months was a Lemon,I doubt it. To me it was very obvious the GT took more time to spool up through the RPM range.

In fact the hallmark BMW for Interstate stability is the LT . The GT in Stock form compared to the LT for Interstate stability hammers the rider with dirty air from Hand's to Shoulders and is even worse with rain/ cold temperatures. For me the RTW is close to the LT for interstate conditions and may be better with a Aero Flow windshield, if they ever get it on the market. Other traits you mention are just not worth my time addressing.

Enjoy the GT no doubt it is a great bike and the right one for you..
Wow there Murray, I didn't mean to take up anymore more of your extremely valuable and biased time. Why don't you just come out and say you don't like the K1600 and be done with it? Spending only 2 months as you claim on a K1600 didn't even begin to give you a real idea what that motorcycle is really like. It was obviously too much bike for you...and you got rid of it? I guess a man has to know his limitations......

I too had an LT. A 2005 to be exact. While it was a terrific motorcycle in it's time, by todays standards it is way behind in technology. I will agree with you that the LT had better wind/rain protection than the K1600, but it also had much better protection than the 1200 RT my son has. The LT also was difficult for some people to handle at low speeds which was due in part to the high center of gravity it had as a result of that better wind and rain protection. Times change and you can't live in the past nor can you compare apples to oranges.

Well I don't want to take up anymore of your time Murray, but I have one last question for you. When you rode the K1600 are you sure you didn't have it in Rain Mode?

Merry Christmas!

Rick
Ric is offline  
post #29 of 34 Old Dec 24th, 2014, 2:09 pm
Senior Member
 
Xavier6162's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Corona, California, US of Mexico
Posts: 223
Re: K1600 question from an RT rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
At the start of the hill I was in 4th gear and before I reached the top I had to shift the 1200 RTW into 3rd as it was really struggling to crest the hill.....
Don't have either. Will never own either. I have no dog in this fight. I’m sure you have your reasons for being so defensive…but that is an extreme exaggeration for a 125 HP 600 pound motorcycle.

Assistant Vice President of the International Association of Trailer Parks, Trailer Park Supervisors, and Assistant Trailer Park Supervisors (ATPTPSAATPS)

Last edited by Xavier6162; Dec 24th, 2014 at 2:15 pm.
Xavier6162 is offline  
post #30 of 34 Old Dec 25th, 2014, 10:33 am
Ric
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Muskego, WI, USA
Posts: 836
Re: K1600 question from an RT rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier6162 View Post
Don't have either. Will never own either. I have no dog in this fight. I’m sure you have your reasons for being so defensive…but that is an extreme exaggeration for a 125 HP 600 pound motorcycle.
Did you read ALL the posts here Xavier6162 or only the ones you cared to? I also wonder if you have any idea of the difference between horsepower and torque? You do know that an engine can have a ton of horsepower but if it has low torque it is not going to be very efficient correct? Simply throwing out the fact that the RTW has 125 horsepower means absolutely nothing without knowing its torque numbers and where in rpm range that engine makes its horsepower and torque AND the power to weight ratio.

The Mothership lists the RTW at 125 hp at 7750 rpm and the K1600 GTL at 160 hp at 7750 rpm. The RTW makes its max torque of 92 ft. lbs. at 6500 rpm and the GTL is 129 ft. lbs. at 5250 rpm. So the RTW needs more rpm to make its available torque than the GTL does correct? Doesn't this tell you something? (Remember in my post I said I was going up a relatively steep hill and trying to stay in 4th gear and the RTW I was riding began to have some difficulty making the crest? ) Just for the record those numbers reflect a huge difference in not only horsepower numbers but torque values as well.

Now look at power to weight ratios. Using the factory numbers the GTL has 4.8 pounds of weight to every horsepower (768 divided by 160) and the RTW has 4.83 pounds of weight to every horsepower (604 divided by 125). But it must be remembered I was not running at the rpm where these motorcycles make their maximum torque and horsepower numbers. So with the K1600 making its torque values at lower rpm versus the RTW which bike do you think will have an easier time going uphill without downshifting? Theoretically, if the RTW made its maximum torque at say 5000 rpm than I probably would not have had to downshift to crest the hill and could have left it in 4th gear.

So I for one would be very careful in saying someone "extremely exaggerated" something before I looked at the big picture and at least had a basic understanding of Power Mechanics 101.

Rick
Ric is offline  
post #31 of 34 Old Dec 25th, 2014, 3:55 pm
Junior Member
 
BIRDDOG51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Jamesville, Va., USA
Posts: 26
Re: K1600 question from an RT rider

Well stated!
BIRDDOG51 is offline  
post #32 of 34 Old Dec 27th, 2014, 12:23 pm
Senior Member
 
Xavier6162's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Corona, California, US of Mexico
Posts: 223
Re: K1600 question from an RT rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Did you read ALL the posts ......
Rick
Got it. You purposely introduced variables that disadvantaged the RTW where the average rider would have allowed it to operate in its most effective power mode.

One could introduced those same variables against bikes like the K1300GT, K1300S or even the light weight Ninja1000 ABS up that same hill in say 5th or 6th gear that would require the K1600 to down shift, least it‘d feel like a tugboat or the little train that could, would you then say the K1600 “Struggles” to crest a hill?

Assistant Vice President of the International Association of Trailer Parks, Trailer Park Supervisors, and Assistant Trailer Park Supervisors (ATPTPSAATPS)
Xavier6162 is offline  
post #33 of 34 Old Dec 27th, 2014, 7:35 pm
IBR# 366
 
meese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: West Linn, OR
Posts: 16,479
Garage
Re: K1600 question from an RT rider

Sigh . . .

Some riders prefer the lighter weight and shorter wheel base of the RT, along with that classic Boxer thump-thump.

Some riders prefer the longer, lower K16, with its smooth Slant/6 and massive torque on tap.

Neither bike is absolutely better or worse than the other. The only thing that should matter is which one fits your own riding style and preferences.

Trying to convince someone over the internet that your bike is better than theirs is just plain silly. And trying to convince them that they made the wrong choice for their own bike is just plain stupid . . .

Ride whatever you want, and enjoy it. And learn to let others do the same . . .
robasay likes this.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
meese is offline  
post #34 of 34 Old Dec 29th, 2014, 10:47 pm
Senior Member
 
adirondackjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Saratoga Springs, NY, USA
Posts: 215
Re: K1600 question from an RT rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese View Post
Sigh . . .

Some riders prefer the lighter weight and shorter wheel base of the RT, along with that classic Boxer thump-thump.

Some riders prefer the longer, lower K16, with its smooth Slant/6 and massive torque on tap.

Neither bike is absolutely better or worse than the other. The only thing that should matter is which one fits your own riding style and preferences.

Trying to convince someone over the internet that your bike is better than theirs is just plain silly. And trying to convince them that they made the wrong choice for their own bike is just plain stupid . . .

Ride whatever you want, and enjoy it. And learn to let others do the same . . .
Amen brother!

Smile. . . .I used to be BEHIND YOU!
____________________________________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
adirondackjack is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Victory Vision, dumb question or rider bigbear Bike Talk 12 Jul 31st, 2010 1:42 pm
BMW RT Questions--Newer Rider drw6895 RT Series 18 Jul 31st, 2010 10:40 am
RT-P Strobe / Lights Question - ( probably millionth time ) CaptJDavis RT Series 4 Sep 23rd, 2009 2:40 am
Easy question Ised8m Intercom, CB, & 2-Way Radios 9 Jul 3rd, 2009 8:33 am
Question from RT rider Micky K1200LT 5 May 27th, 2006 9:26 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome