smoothest 2014 rt or gtl. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Sep 13th, 2014, 4:29 pm Thread Starter

smoothest 2014 rt or gtl.

Test rode the gtl and rt back to back. I found the rt had a much smoother flow of air and little turbulence at speed. However, I found the gtl more comfortable for me. I would prefer the gtl if it had as good wind protection as the rt. With the aeroflow package can this be attained. Rt with windscreen half way up was so smooth and I was looking over the screen. Thanks for any help. Just don't want to spend a lot of money on gtl and not be comfortable getting beat up by turbulence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Sep 13th, 2014, 10:22 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Re: smoothest 2014 rt or gtl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonandcheryl View Post
With the Aeroflow package can this be attained.
Yes. See this thread for more details.

The Aeroflow screen smooths out the airflow considerably, and the AeroWings and MiniWings give a much wider envelope, keeping your arms and shoulders (and passenger) in the comfort zone.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 6 Old Sep 13th, 2014, 11:13 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Meese.

post #4 of 6 Old Sep 17th, 2014, 9:43 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonandcheryl View Post
Test rode the gtl and rt back to back. I found the rt had a much smoother flow of air and little turbulence at speed. However, I found the gtl more comfortable for me. I would prefer the gtl if it had as good wind protection as the rt. With the aeroflow package can this be attained. Rt with windscreen half way up was so smooth and I was looking over the screen. Thanks for any help. Just don't want to spend a lot of money on gtl and not be comfortable getting beat up by turbulence.
You might be able to find someone with a modified GTL that you can ride. Nothing like being able to see for yourself. We are different sizes and shapes and what works for one may not work for the other.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #5 of 6 Old Sep 28th, 2014, 6:02 pm Thread Starter

Rode them again Friday. Both great bikes. the gtl is the one that really spoke to me. Windshield swaps are not that big a deal in the overall scheme of things. Saving more fast!
post #6 of 6 Old Sep 28th, 2014, 7:48 pm

I agree with Ken (Meese) whole heartedly on the Aeroflow set up. Wings, Mini-Wings, and the Aeroflow shield give me (and pillion) better protection than even on the LT.

I actually remove the Mini Wings quite often to get a little air flow on my hands if it's warm out.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in