GT or GTL? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Aug 27th, 2014, 8:33 am Thread Starter

GT or GTL?

I thinking of trading in my 05 KLT for one of the newer 1600s. I kind of like the GT seating a little better as I like the little more sporty feel to that, but I'd really have to ride both for a while to know for sure. Has anybody ridden both for any length of time to compare? There actually does not seem to have been enough difference for BMW to have made two models out of this bike. With the seat height, pegs, and handlebars being the only differences, it seems this could have been taken care of by adding options on those so you could have one or the other with relative ease and wouldn't have had to choose. Have these bikes turned up any significant issues? Also, how about ease of maintenance of these two bikes? It looks like oil changes would be easier, with the oil filter right out there in the open. How about valve adjustments? Changing the tranny fluid? Some of those are a pain on my LT.

Grey 14 K1600GT
Red 94 R1100RSL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Aug 27th, 2014, 12:35 pm

Re: GT or GTL?

Ergo differences are:

- Seat
- Bars
- Pegs
- Windshield

I bought a GTL because I wanted the more relaxed riding position, but added a GT seat and windshield. Best of both worlds.

2005 H-D FXSTB/I
2014 BMW K1600 GTL
2014.5 Kawasaki KLR650
post #3 of 17 Old Aug 27th, 2014, 1:04 pm

Test ride the RTW , It may just change your mind. I had a GT loaner for 7 weeks good bike but cold not wait to get the RTW back.
Prior post above noted GT seat on his GTL very good move. The GTL seat IMO has the rider sitting to low into the bike.
Maintenance valve adjust is very time consuming. Wind protection is lacking, others will chime in. Good Luck

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA

post #4 of 17 Old Aug 27th, 2014, 1:56 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray View Post
Test ride the RTW , It may just change your mind. I had a GT loaner for 7 weeks good bike but cold not wait to get the RTW back.
Prior post above noted GT seat on his GTL very good move. The GTL seat IMO has the rider sitting to low into the bike.
Maintenance valve adjust is very time consuming. Wind protection is lacking, others will chime in. Good Luck
Why did you like the R bike better? One of the reasons I'm considering the a K1600 is the adaptive lighting system they have on those, which they don't have on any of the other bikes. That's a huge plus and hopefully that will migrate to their other bikes.

Grey 14 K1600GT
Red 94 R1100RSL
post #5 of 17 Old Aug 27th, 2014, 2:57 pm

If you're used to the wind and weather protection on an RT, nothing else will do. It's like riding in a car with the windows up. The GT/GTL strikes a better balance, as it offers superb protection while still allowing air behind the fairing.

The K16s are far, far smoother than the R bikes, and they offer more power.

Both the RT and the K16s are sport/touring bikes. The RT emphasizes sport, the K16s emphasize touring. The K16s will do a better job at the sport riding than the RT will do touring. Or sport riding for that matter.

I guess it goes without saying that I don't miss my RT at all.

2005 H-D FXSTB/I
2014 BMW K1600 GTL
2014.5 Kawasaki KLR650
post #6 of 17 Old Aug 27th, 2014, 3:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyn1 View Post
Why did you like the R bike better? One of the reasons I'm considering the a K1600 is the adaptive lighting system they have on those, which they don't have on any of the other bikes. That's a huge plus and hopefully that will migrate to their other bikes.
The adaptive headlight may be the only advantage. But this can be mitigated with HID replacements.
The RTW motor out performs the 6 in most situations , powering out of turns, throttle roll on. Fuel economy is much better. Handling in the turns is effortless by comparison to the GT/GTL. Wind buffeting on the 6 is not bad in the warm temps but is way to much in cooler temps. The additional weight of the 6 is very noticeable.
You just need to ride the RTW ! Those who use the prior RT not the RTW to compare the GT/ GTL are not accurately contrasting the bikes.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #7 of 17 Old Sep 13th, 2014, 4:19 pm

Rode the GTL, GT and the new RT back to back today and for me and my riding style the GT has the right balance between the sport/touring capabilities for short/long distances.

The adjustable wind deflectors on the GTL/GT are Very Nice and I can see how switching the GT seat/shield to the GTL might just be about perfect other than the pegs but didn't have the opportunity to try that.

Next week two up test rides of above and we'll see where that takes the decision making process.

Any other Real Rider Experiences will be Greatly Appreciated!
post #8 of 17 Old Dec 13th, 2014, 9:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Train View Post
If you're used to the wind and weather protection on an RT, nothing else will do.
Actually, if you simply add the Aeroflow Aerowings and Miniwings, you are as good or better than the RT on air management and rider environmental protection. I don't miss my RT either. Just MHO.

Smile. . . .I used to be BEHIND YOU!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 17 Old Dec 13th, 2014, 9:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackjack View Post
Actually, if you simply add the Aeroflow Aerowings and Miniwings, you are as good or better than the RT on air management and rider environmental protection. I don't miss my RT either. Just MHO.
Yes, but then your bike looks like you accessorized it at the local AutoZone and looks all kinds of tacky. I'll live with the extra breeze so I don't have to ride with a bag over my head in embarrassment.

2005 H-D FXSTB/I
2014 BMW K1600 GTL
2014.5 Kawasaki KLR650
post #10 of 17 Old Dec 13th, 2014, 11:21 am

Quote:
Yes, but then your bike looks like you accessorized it at the local AutoZone and looks all kinds of tacky. I'll live with the extra breeze so I don't have to ride with a bag over my head in embarrassment.
Interesting comment as dozens upon dozens of GT/GTL riders swear by Aeroflow wind management accessories and would think that "looks" would be a consideration in their purchase decision - The photos I've seen seemed OK IMO

To each their own
post #11 of 17 Old Dec 13th, 2014, 11:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LIFE2LIVE View Post
Interesting comment as dozens upon dozens of GT/GTL riders swear by Aeroflow wind management accessories and would think that "looks" would be a consideration in their purchase decision - The photos I've seen seemed OK IMO

To each their own
Well there's no accounting for taste.

2005 H-D FXSTB/I
2014 BMW K1600 GTL
2014.5 Kawasaki KLR650
post #12 of 17 Old Dec 13th, 2014, 11:39 am

Quote:
Well there's no accounting for taste.
Actually wings or no wings, I'd keep the bag over your head. Remember, your mind is like a parachute. . . . . . . .it only works when it's open. LOL!

Rep

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 17 Old Dec 13th, 2014, 5:00 pm

Quote:
Actually wings or no wings, I'd keep the bag over your head. Remember, your mind is like a parachute. . . . . . . .it only works when it's open. LOL!

Rep
I'm not sure how not following the herd relates to having an open mind.

But thanks for your input.

2005 H-D FXSTB/I
2014 BMW K1600 GTL
2014.5 Kawasaki KLR650
post #14 of 17 Old Dec 13th, 2014, 5:06 pm

Quote:
I'm not sure how not following the herd relates to having an open mind.

But thanks for your input.
That is the definition of a closed mind. Thanks for making my point for me.

Easy big fella. . . . . . . . .it's all in a day's work. Don't forget the the LOL part, and try to relax. We're all friends here (I thought).

Rep

post #15 of 17 Old Dec 13th, 2014, 9:31 pm

Quote:

Easy big fella. . . . . . . . .it's all in a day's work. Don't forget the the LOL part, and try to relax. We're all friends here (I thought).

Rep
+1, well said. BTW - LOVE the Aeroflow setup...

Oh - and the Grip Buddies! LOL

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #16 of 17 Old Dec 14th, 2014, 8:28 am

Quote:
Thinking for oneself and having a different opinion than you is the definition of a closed mind. Gotcha.

Enjoy your Aerowings. I'll enjoy my better-looking bike.

2005 H-D FXSTB/I
2014 BMW K1600 GTL
2014.5 Kawasaki KLR650
post #17 of 17 Old Dec 14th, 2014, 9:26 am

Quote:
Thinking for oneself and having a different opinion than you is the definition of a closed mind. Gotcha.

Enjoy your Aerowings. I'll enjoy my better-looking bike.
Know what you mean! Just like we teach in motorcycle safety:
"Always ride your own ride". It's amazing how many times that concept comes into play in other aspects of life. It's also really difficult to know when it's appropriate to let the input of others in. I call it filtering. It's important to filter out much of the "grey noise" from others that is not going anywhere for you or them. I also agree with you that on a forum like this the task is that much harder, because there is no body language that can be observed and interpreted. We are all just responding to words on a page. For example, how would you or anyone know if a member's advice is heart-felt, without being able to get a fix on their motives. In the final analysis, you are the best judge of what you like. The thing that's hard is not to legislate to others what they should think or do, while still staying true to yourself by being helpful to others. I know I always feel more grounded when I'm doing something nice for someone else, especially in venues like this forum. Does any of this make sense?

Your thoughts 05Train?

Rep

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in