1600 stalling. Fault codes - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Aug 13th, 2014, 7:53 pm Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
keith41902's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: OTTAWA, ONTARIO, CANADA
Posts: 19
1600 stalling. Fault codes

Hey guys
We are out in DC from Canada and our buddy has a brand new 1600 with 3000 Kms. In the last two days his bike has stalled when we stop at a light or stop sign at least 20 times. Takes 15 mins of standing around and it will restart. Never stalls when we are motoring on the freeway. It got towed in New Jersey yesterday and dianostics said nothing wrong so we headed out. First toll both on the turnpike and guess what, dead. Back to another bmw shop in Maryland. Now they say the code is the crankshaft sensor. Parts could be two days and no guarentee.
Anyone heard of this. Wow never thought I would spend my whole holiday sitting in bmw stores.
keith41902 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old Aug 14th, 2014, 6:04 am
Senior Member
 
mtrevelino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Williamsburg, VA, USA
Posts: 2,570
Re: 1600 stalling. Fault codes

If you are at Bob's BMW, see if they will swap a sensor from a bike sitting on the floor to get you on your way. This should be the least they or any dealer should do for you.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT - Sold December 2019
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mtrevelino is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old Aug 14th, 2014, 11:35 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,292
Re: 1600 stalling. Fault codes

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith41902 View Post
Hey guys
We are out in DC from Canada and our buddy has a brand new 1600 with 3000 Kms. In the last two days his bike has stalled when we stop at a light or stop sign at least 20 times. Takes 15 mins of standing around and it will restart. Never stalls when we are motoring on the freeway. It got towed in New Jersey yesterday and dianostics said nothing wrong so we headed out. First toll both on the turnpike and guess what, dead. Back to another bmw shop in Maryland. Now they say the code is the crankshaft sensor. Parts could be two days and no guarentee.
Anyone heard of this. Wow never thought I would spend my whole holiday sitting in bmw stores.
Unfortunate, but not that unusual. If you want relatively trouble free bikes, you buy Japanese, not US or European. A recent blurb in, I think, consumer reports was interesting. Harley was the most troublesome brand with some crazy number like 33% of owners having a problem in the first 4 or 5 years. BMW wasn't far behind with something like 25%. If recollection serves, the Japanese brands were clustered in the low teens.

BMW has the technology now, but needs to catch up in the quality department.
I am hoping they will and the 1600 seems to be doing much better than the LT so there is cause for hope.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
 
post #4 of 6 Old Aug 17th, 2014, 11:08 am Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
keith41902's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: OTTAWA, ONTARIO, CANADA
Posts: 19
Re: 1600 stalling. Fault codes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino View Post
If you are at Bob's BMW, see if they will swap a sensor from a bike sitting on the floor to get you on your way. This should be the least they or any dealer should do for you.
Well it was the crank shaft sensor and on the road again. It was bobs BMW that fixed us up. Had wait for one day for the part and paid extra to get it over night but what the heck, we are rolling
keith41902 is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old Aug 17th, 2014, 12:45 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,292
Re: 1600 stalling. Fault codes

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith41902 View Post
Well it was the crank shaft sensor and on the road again. It was bobs BMW that fixed us up. Had wait for one day for the part and paid extra to get it over night but what the heck, we are rolling
So BMW wouldn't pick up express shipping for a part needed to get stranded brand new bike back on the road? Disgraceful.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old Aug 17th, 2014, 3:42 pm
Senior Member
 
rmcclure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Erin, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 135
Re: 1600 stalling. Fault codes

Ford only took about 10 years to recall their power strokes for a cam position sensor that was causing stalling. Dealership had the keys for about 25 minutes and the tech was whining about having to free up corroded fasteners. Hope your new sensor works as well as mine in the Ford, no problems after replacement.

Ross
K1200LT (99)
rmcclure is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Never Again!!!!!!!!!!! JTEC K1200LT 75 Oct 16th, 2014 7:44 am
fault codes Teach RT Series 7 May 27th, 2014 11:28 am
Confirmed Price MERGED KRW K1600GT/GTL 56 Mar 4th, 2011 2:52 pm
Reset fault codes on 2003 with integral brakes dslempke K1200LT 5 Sep 6th, 2009 7:31 am
ABS fault problem GBarnes K1200LT 6 May 5th, 2006 5:52 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome