GT or GTL to replace '14 RT? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jun 30th, 2014, 12:21 am Thread Starter

GT or GTL to replace '14 RT?

I'm considering trading in my '14 RT on a K16GT or GTL. My dealer doesn't have a GTL so I can't compare them in person. I'm intrigued by the difference in price ($1045 per BMW US website). It appears that the GTL has everything on the GT plus a top case and a taller windshield. Unless I'm missing something, the GTL seems like a good deal. Anyone know of differences in equipment I'm not recognizing?

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'14 RT
'06 FZ-1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jun 30th, 2014, 1:22 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Re: GT or GTL to replace '14 RT?

Yeah, this question has been coming up a lot lately . . .

The basic motor, chassis, and electronics are the same on the GT & GTL. It's mostly the riding position, plus the trunk and a few accessories that differentiates the GTL from the GT.

The GT ergos are closer to the RT, with shorter handlebars, a taller two-piece seat, pegs higher and further back, and a shorter windshield. It's leaned more toward solo sporty rides, and the lack of a trunk makes it a bit lighter.

The GTL has longer bars, a one-piece seat that's lower for the rider and wider for the passenger, lower/forward pegs, and a taller windshield, plus the trunk which makes it a bit better for two-up rides. The GTL also adds LED driving lights and some chrome trim.

With an experienced rider, either model can be ridden very quickly on almost any road, either solo or two-up.

There are basically four K1600 models:

"Standard" GT model - as described above.

GT Sport - lower windshield, custom paint, and a different seat.

GTL - as described above (adds trunk and driving lights)

GTL Exclusive - GTL with custom paint, and all the options: more lighting, luggage liners, and some nice two-up touches like armrests, and a wider passenger seat.

The biggest obvious difference is the riding position. It's best to sit on (or test ride) both, but if the GT feels a bit too leaned-forward, then the GTL might work for you. Alternatively, if the GT riding position feels good, and you're less interested in the trunk, them the GT is a good option.

The trunk alone retails for $1,585, so if you think that you'll use that, it makes the GTL a good deal. If you primarily ride two-up, then the Exclusive is worth a look.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 7 Old Jun 30th, 2014, 2:20 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the info!
I love the RT but I want to consider all my options before making a decision. I ride solo so I don't need the GTL-E but I do use a trunk. I have clothes and tools/tire kit in the panniers and like to have the trunk for helmet storage during bathroom/meal breaks and to store extra layers. I actually prefer a farther reach than the RT but I've accepted that touring bikes have relaxed riding positions. Sounds like I need to find a GTL at a different dealer for a test ride.

'14 RT
'06 FZ-1

post #4 of 7 Old Jun 30th, 2014, 8:43 am

I highly suggest a test ride. I sold my '12 K1600GT after a year. Was disappointed with the sloppy drive train and that it pulled to the left. Wind protection as also sub par IMHO.

If you test ride one get out on the highway, set the cruise and lift your hands off the bars to see if it pulls left.

The GT has a throatier exhaust and higher speed limiter than the GTL.

2018 R1200RT Mars Red
2017 R1200GS Rallye
2014 Husky FE501
post #5 of 7 Old Jul 5th, 2014, 1:17 pm

After just reading the 2015 improvements, will definitely go with a 2015 white K16GT. Haven't heard back from BMW about my 2014 RT buyback, but hope to have the money back when the '15 GT is available. Since I wanted a 2015 bike, my only option was a buyback... which was pretty stupid from BMW IMO, since they'll have to pay me over a grand in taxes, instead of just trading it in for a 2015 for the difference. I"m going to get my money back about the same time the 2015s are available anyway. Oh well.

Disappointed that the RT discontinued the color I dislike the least, so my only choice on that bike would be another army green RT, like the one I have now (bought it sight unseen, and was disappointed to see a green bike, rather than gray, like the name implies). Also disappointed the new GT won't have the radial brakes and quick-shifter of the RT, but at least it'll have the new dash, hill-assist, and keyless ignition, so not that bad. But most importantly, hope BMW finally sorted this bike on it's FOURTH year of production, and don't have to deal with blown trannies, bad switches, bad water pumps, and other mechanical crap like that. The good news is I'll be able to reuse the Nav V, BMW cover (it's actually made for the K16), bag liners, and rear BMW fender badge.

2014 R1200RT Callisto Grey MET with Comfort, Touring, Dynamic and Luxury packages. MODS: BMW Nav V, BMW Akra sport exhaust, BMW oil-filler cap, BMW cycle cover, BMW bag logos, rear fender bracket/roundel, grip puppies, radiator screens, Bestem liners, no reflectors/stickers, Hornig frame plugs.
post #6 of 7 Old Jul 5th, 2014, 6:49 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
After just reading the 2015 improvements, will definitely go with a 2015 white K16GT. Haven't heard back from BMW about my 2014 RT buyback, but hope to have the money back when the '15 GT is available. Since I wanted a 2015 bike, my only option was a buyback... which was pretty stupid from BMW IMO, since they'll have to pay me over a grand in taxes, instead of just trading it in for a 2015 for the difference. I"m going to get my money back about the same time the 2015s are available anyway. Oh well.

Disappointed that the RT discontinued the color I dislike the least, so my only choice on that bike would be another army green RT, like the one I have now (bought it sight unseen, and was disappointed to see a green bike, rather than gray, like the name implies). Also disappointed the new GT won't have the radial brakes and quick-shifter of the RT, but at least it'll have the new dash, hill-assist, and keyless ignition, so not that bad. But most importantly, hope BMW finally sorted this bike on it's FOURTH year of production, and don't have to deal with blown trannies, bad switches, bad water pumps, and other mechanical crap like that. The good news is I'll be able to reuse the Nav V, BMW cover (it's actually made for the K16), bag liners, and rear BMW fender badge.
Where did you see the 2015 information?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #7 of 7 Old Jul 5th, 2014, 9:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Where did you see the 2015 information?
Found on google (after several tries) the official BMW press release of all 2015 motorcycles. The GT/GTL information is posted over the K1600forum, so check it out if interested. Hope this helps.

2014 R1200RT Callisto Grey MET with Comfort, Touring, Dynamic and Luxury packages. MODS: BMW Nav V, BMW Akra sport exhaust, BMW oil-filler cap, BMW cycle cover, BMW bag logos, rear fender bracket/roundel, grip puppies, radiator screens, Bestem liners, no reflectors/stickers, Hornig frame plugs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in