helmet noise and passenger wind blast - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old May 26th, 2014, 10:36 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up helmet noise and passenger wind blast

Just test rode a GTL. The dynamics are awesome but the wind noise and passenger air buffeting made it a non starter until we rode a used unit with an aftermarket windshield. The aftermarket windshield fixed my wife's air pressure problem but forced me to look through the windshield.
After getting home I saw that Cee Bailey and Aeroflow are both building shields and deflectors, any recommendations?
I'm 5'10" and my wife is 5'8". We wear Arai Corsair helmets. She's been with me 90% of the time for the last 37 years so her comfort is very important.
Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. 09 Race Tech equipped Gold Wing for sale!

Randy

Beemerdude 2001

American Legion Riders NE IA
Patriot Guard Riders
AMA Charter Life Member
AMA Ambassador
BMWMOA # 10524
Member: Jackpine Gypsies, Sturgis

09 GL1800A
76 Triumph T160E
77 R 100 S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old May 26th, 2014, 12:38 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Re: helmet noise and passenger wind blast

Welcome, Randy.

Every BMW I've ever owned has needed an aftermarket windscreen.

There are several good options for the K1600, with the most popular being from AeroFlow, CalSci, and Cee Bailey's.

Lots off riders are having great success with the full AeroFlow K1600 setup.

AeroFlow makes screens in two different shapes (GT & GTL) that were designed to carefully control the airflow on both sides of the screen to provide a smooth, laminar flow effect. The GTL screen slopes back towards the rider so it can be full coverage, yet still be run down lower so you can see over it with the quite low GTL seats. The GT screen has a bit of a flip at the upper edge, so it can also be run just below your field of vision, yet still push the air up and over your head. This tends to work better for taller riders, or the taller GT seats that sit you so much higher on the bike. Both screens shapes come in various heights so you can customize it to your height, seat height, riding style, and needs.

AeroFlow has also developed AeroWings and AeroGards for bike's fairing that reduce the turbulence that comes in around the sides of the bike and dumps onto your hands and into your lap. These wings help with any windshield, even the stock BMW one, and allow for reduced airflow on the rider and passenger.

The CalSci K1600 screen uses a carefully-developed shape and a adds a cutout vent to allow some airflow through the screen and up the backside, which reduces back pressure and turbulence. Many riders are happy with this approach, although some of them are still using the AeroGards and AeroWings with this screen.

The Cee Bailey's K1600 screen is taller & wider than stock, with an added Gold Wing-style vent to get some airflow and reduce turbulence. The vent does help to minimize the dirty air spilling over the sides/top, but it kinda looks and feels like an add-on fix. Again, many riders are happy with this approach, but some of them are still using the AeroGards and AeroWings as well.

There are also screen made by Wunderlich (who also offers hand, leg, and foot protectors), ZTechnik (made from polycarbonate, like the stock screen), and 7JuRock (who offers the cutout or the 'Wing-style vent), although these aren't quite as popular with the K1600 crowd. And some members have cut holes in or added vents to the stock screens, with limited success.

If it was my money, I'd give Paige a call at AeroFlow and talk with him directly. He can set you up with the full package at a discount, and make sure you get the size and shape screen that works best for you.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 7 Old May 28th, 2014, 8:04 pm

My wife immediately reported the buffeting at speed as very uncomfortable. I purchased the Cee Baileys tall 1600 screen with the installed vent. Instant marital harmony.

When I'm solo, I do not need to raise it high enough to have to look through it to get the smooth air, but two-up on the highway, she wants it all the way up, and I do look through it (I'm about 6'1" and riding the BMW "high" seat). I will say the Cee Bailey is very near perfectly optically correct, so looking through it is not so bad. The stock windscreen had a lot of optical distortion.

Overall, I'm satisfied with it.

Rick

2014 K1600GTL Exclusive
2013 R1200GS LC
2011 Husqvarna TE630

"Never ask a man what computer he uses; if it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?" -- Tom Clancy

post #4 of 7 Old May 29th, 2014, 11:27 am
cwo
Lifetime Supporter

I went the Aero screen/wings way, and very satisfied. And when you call, you get to talk with real people.....no voice jail.

Chris Ogle

Life is ephemeral. Don't waste it lookin up big words.
post #5 of 7 Old May 29th, 2014, 7:24 pm

hey Meese, I've got a question. I've never had a big problem with my screen but I've put on a Cal-Sci to see if there will be less buffeting on my passenger.
My concern is not having enough air hit me. I have to put my arm down, rest my hand on my leg to get any kind of air flow up my coat sleeve. Or sometimes just get my index finger out on the end of the bars. I'm actually thinking I need some kind of scoop to put air in my sleeve. Everything seems to be engineered to move air away from where I need it. Have you run across any products that might help me cool down.
post #6 of 7 Old May 29th, 2014, 8:40 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

The K1600 has built-in air scoops at the sides of the fairings. Have you tried deploying those under different riding conditions?

Another option is to get an improved windscreen for better air management, but not necessarily a wider screen. That would allow some additional airflow around the edges of the screen, while still shaping clean airflow over the top and hopefully over your heads.

Personally, I prefer to limit airflow on myself, and just use some well-placed jacket vents to get in just enough cooling air. Then again, I don't usually ride in serious humidity (although I have when necessary).

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 7 Old Jun 21st, 2014, 9:56 pm Thread Starter

Smile Re: helmet noise and passenger wind blast

Bought a new GTL last Friday from Gina's @ Iowa City. Took delivery with a 26" Cee Bailey, mama very happy. No helmet noise for me either but I had to look through the shield(don't like to look through windshields) and was in need of more air circulation.
I have a 22" Cee Bailey and Aerowings on order.
Hopefully this will keep mama happy and take care of my problems.
So far the GTL is Hell of a piece of machinery. Wife and I are both happy with our decision to ride a Beemer again.

Beemerdude 2001

American Legion Riders NE IA
Patriot Guard Riders
AMA Charter Life Member
AMA Ambassador
BMWMOA # 10524
Member: Jackpine Gypsies, Sturgis

09 GL1800A
76 Triumph T160E
77 R 100 S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in